Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5851 of 5868 Old 10-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have a 7.1 setup with Mythos ST for the fronts, and CS-8080HD as the Center, my surrounds are DefTech Mythos Gem XL, and the Rear surrounds are DefTech ProMonitor 1000. Also I have a very capable external horn subwoofer, its a Tuba HT (THT).

I've turned the mytho's ST's subwoofer to 0 and equed the setup using the Audyssey XT32 on my Denon 411CI reciever, i the front speakers were set to SMALL automatically. I've changed both the fronts and center to LARGE, changed the Mythos ST's subwoofer dial to 12 o clock position, and the Subwoofer bass to LFE+MAIN.

This above configuration was adviced to me by the Def Tech tech support over the phone.
One last thing i forgot to ass was in the AVR's, speaker crossover settings, what crossover should i keep for all the speakers, currently its automatically set to... Mythos ST L/R : 120Hz, CS-8080HD Center : 40Hz, Surround : GEM XL 90Hz and Surround Back ProMonitor 1000 to 100Hz

Whats your recomendation.
Anything else i need to do, please recommend.
holyindian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5852 of 5868 Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
I have a 7.1 setup with Mythos ST for the fronts, and CS-8080HD as the Center, my surrounds are DefTech Mythos Gem XL, and the Rear surrounds are DefTech ProMonitor 1000. Also I have a very capable external horn subwoofer, its a Tuba HT (THT).

I've turned the mytho's ST's subwoofer to 0 and equed the setup using the Audyssey XT32 on my Denon 411CI reciever, i the front speakers were set to SMALL automatically. I've changed both the fronts and center to LARGE, changed the Mythos ST's subwoofer dial to 12 o clock position, and the Subwoofer bass to LFE+MAIN.

This above configuration was adviced to me by the Def Tech tech support over the phone.
One last thing i forgot to ass was in the AVR's, speaker crossover settings, what crossover should i keep for all the speakers, currently its automatically set to... Mythos ST L/R : 120Hz, CS-8080HD Center : 40Hz, Surround : GEM XL 90Hz and Surround Back ProMonitor 1000 to 100Hz

Whats your recomendation.
Anything else i need to do, please recommend.
All the crossover settings look good to me accept the front (ST's). I would leave the ST sub dial at 12 o'clock and go back and redo the automatic setup. The crossover point for the ST's should change. A lot will depend on the room and where they sit.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5853 of 5868 Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
All the crossover settings look good to me accept the front (ST's). I would leave the ST sub dial at 12 o'clock and go back and redo the automatic setup. The crossover point for the ST's should change. A lot will depend on the room and where they sit.
My room is not prefect, i can easily say its one of the worst in terms of sound accoustics, or say not ideal for good speakers. But before we move to our new house where i am gonna have a dedicated Home Theater, i gotta make use of the room we live in now for the next 1 year, hence trying to tune what i have.

So you think 120Hz isnt ideal for Mythos ST with the auto audysssey xt32 setup?
Cant i just change it manually? there's option in the denon receiver to change these crossover settings.

What ideally the fronts should be on?
holyindian is offline  
post #5854 of 5868 Old 10-11-2016, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
My room is not prefect, i can easily say its one of the worst in terms of sound accoustics, or say not ideal for good speakers. But before we move to our new house where i am gonna have a dedicated Home Theater, i gotta make use of the room we live in now for the next 1 year, hence trying to tune what i have.

So you think 120Hz isnt ideal for Mythos ST with the auto audysssey xt32 setup?
Cant i just change it manually? there's option in the denon receiver to change these crossover settings.

What ideally the fronts should be on?
You can change the crossover manually, but Audyssey does room correct during the setup process. You loose the benefit of it making corrections for the ST fronts just changing the crossover point. I just checked where it set my front crossover point and it's 40Hz just to give you an idea.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5855 of 5868 Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
You can change the crossover manually, but Audyssey does room correct during the setup process. You loose the benefit of it making corrections for the ST fronts just changing the crossover point. I just checked where it set my front crossover point and it's 40Hz just to give you an idea.
Thanks so much for your help and reply.
I've tried testing the environment over 5 times, with or without the bass dialed to 0 or 12 o clock. The crossover never moved lower than 100 or 120.
I called up def tech support and they mentioned it could be normal due to the fact the room is layed out, and mentioned that setting the fronts and center to as low as possible should be prefectly fine. The AVR allowed me to tune the crossover to 40Hz for both fronts and center.
I've tweaked the promonitor 1000 to 100 hz, the gem xl to 90 hz and the front Mythos ST and the center cs-8080hd to 40hz
I think the sound is so so much better compared to how it used to be earlier.
Do you have any more tips?
I am planning to give REW a try with the help of a friend and see how it goes.
holyindian is offline  
post #5856 of 5868 Old 10-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
Thanks so much for your help and reply.
I've tried testing the environment over 5 times, with or without the bass dialed to 0 or 12 o clock. The crossover never moved lower than 100 or 120.
I called up def tech support and they mentioned it could be normal due to the fact the room is layed out, and mentioned that setting the fronts and center to as low as possible should be prefectly fine. The AVR allowed me to tune the crossover to 40Hz for both fronts and center.
I've tweaked the promonitor 1000 to 100 hz, the gem xl to 90 hz and the front Mythos ST and the center cs-8080hd to 40hz
I think the sound is so so much better compared to how it used to be earlier.
Do you have any more tips?
I am planning to give REW a try with the help of a friend and see how it goes.
If you decide to let the auto setup run again, turn the ST sub dials all the way up before you start and see if it makes a difference where the crossover point ends up being set. You can always turn them back to 12 o'clock if they seem to over extend when you're playing the system. I know it's a pain going thru the setup each time if you have to deal with noise. I try to do it when no one's home but me. If not it seems my wife will always holla down the steps or make noise when it's on the last speaker. LOL

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5857 of 5868 Old 10-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Is anyone successfully using a Mythos Ten for a center channel?


I had been using a Martin Logan SLM-XL for a center (see picture), but the thing just cant keep up with 2 CM9's and 2 SVS subs. I like the aesthetic of the SLM-XL on the wall, but I need something louder. I have auditioned the XTR-50, and own the XTR-20 as surrounds, and don't think, from what I've heard, the XTR-60 would keep up in the center.


I blew a driver in the SLM-XL, and am going to replace it with parts ML is sending me. The ML tech suggested I "be more careful" in the future. Yeah...careful isn't my strong suit.


So, I'm considering a Mythos Ten as long as it can get loud enough. However not only is there nowhere local to audition one, but (frustratingly) the manufacturer's specs aren't much help either. In fact, as a whole, I think DefTech has some of the most marketing driven specs published across their product ranges of any speaker I've owned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1720289  

B&W CM9 S2, Martin Logan SLM-XL, DefTech XTR-20BP, Dual SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Marantz AV7702 MKii, Samsung UN65JS8500, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
adrummingdude is offline  
post #5858 of 5868 Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Is anyone successfully using a Mythos Ten for a center channel?


I had been using a Martin Logan SLM-XL for a center (see picture), but the thing just cant keep up with 2 CM9's and 2 SVS subs. I like the aesthetic of the SLM-XL on the wall, but I need something louder. I have auditioned the XTR-50, and own the XTR-20 as surrounds, and don't think, from what I've heard, the XTR-60 would keep up in the center.


I blew a driver in the SLM-XL, and am going to replace it with parts ML is sending me. The ML tech suggested I "be more careful" in the future. Yeah...careful isn't my strong suit.


So, I'm considering a Mythos Ten as long as it can get loud enough. However not only is there nowhere local to audition one, but (frustratingly) the manufacturer's specs aren't much help either. In fact, as a whole, I think DefTech has some of the most marketing driven specs published across their product ranges of any speaker I've owned.

I use the Ten as my center. It does a good job but I too get a little over the top and have wiped out 2 drivers. They actually didn't blow, just started sounded like they were. What happens is when they are over powered they get hot and the glue in the center melts. Then the driver can't freely move in and out because of the glue. Now I run my Ten and added an Eight. Both run the same time. DefTech sent me the drivers both times with no problem.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5859 of 5868 Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
I use the Ten as my center. It does a good job but I too get a little over the top and have wiped out 2 drivers. They actually didn't blow, just started sounded like they were. What happens is when they are over powered they get hot and the glue in the center melts. Then the driver can't freely move in and out because of the glue. Now I run my Ten and added an Eight. Both run the same time. DefTech sent me the drivers both times with no problem.


That's a bummer. Its apparently hard to find on-wall speakers which can even approach reference levels without melting down. Back to the drawing board I guess.

B&W CM9 S2, Martin Logan SLM-XL, DefTech XTR-20BP, Dual SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Marantz AV7702 MKii, Samsung UN65JS8500, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
adrummingdude is offline  
post #5860 of 5868 Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
That's a bummer. Its apparently hard to find on-wall speakers which can even approach reference levels without melting down. Back to the drawing board I guess.
It's awesome for movies. I killed mine with music really cranking. Otherwise, there would never be a problem.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5861 of 5868 Old 10-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm new to the DF Mythos Club.....just bought a used Mythos 1 to go with my 2 Mythos 8 back and 2 sr8080bp surround. Thinking of purchasing a used cs8080hd for my center. Will this be an over killed for the Mythos 1 or should I get the Mythos 10 instead. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
edrich1 is offline  
post #5862 of 5868 Old 10-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
ril850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oxnard (So Cal)
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm selling Mythos 9's, 3 of them if anyone is interested PM me. Boxes included. Oh and Gem XLs also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is what you make it.......
ril850 is online now  
post #5863 of 5868 Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrich1 View Post
I'm new to the DF Mythos Club.....just bought a used Mythos 1 to go with my 2 Mythos 8 back and 2 sr8080bp surround. Thinking of purchasing a used cs8080hd for my center. Will this be an over killed for the Mythos 1 or should I get the Mythos 10 instead. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
The Ten was designed to go with the Mythos series. The CS8080HD is a match for the 80XX series. Both are the top of the line centers for their respective series. You can't go wrong with either. As far as over kill for a center; I say a great center is key for movies. Go for it.

Definitive Technology:Front Height - Mythos Gem
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10 & 8
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref & SVS SB13 Ultra
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
post #5864 of 5868 Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
The Ten was designed to go with the Mythos series. The CS8080HD is a match for the 80XX series. Both are the top of the line centers for their respective series. You can't go wrong with either. As far as over kill for a center; I say a great center is key for movies. Go for it.
Thanks maddmaster. I decide to go for a New cs9060 as it is 12" wide and this will be easier to be mounted above the tv.

Last edited by edrich1; 10-24-2016 at 08:35 PM.
edrich1 is offline  
post #5865 of 5868 Old 10-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Rattling sounds from MYTHOS ST-L

The rattling sounds come from in between the base and the speaker.my third speaker was o.k at first the the rattling started.
So,I took the base of and put a thicker spacer in between.Problem solved.
Opiwoods
ALtlOff likes this.
Opiwoods is offline  
post #5866 of 5868 Old Today, 02:15 AM
PiK
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center channel and amp recommendation

Which center channel speaker do you recommend for the following setup?
- Front: Mythos ST-L
- Surround (In-ceiling): UIW RSS III

Is CS9080 a good match for ST-L or should I go with Mythos 10 or sth else?

I was thinking about Denon X7200WA. Does it have enough power to drive my 5.1 setup?
PiK is online now  
post #5867 of 5868 Old Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SimpleTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,985
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Which center channel speaker do you recommend for the following setup?
- Front: Mythos ST-L
- Surround (In-ceiling): UIW RSS III

Is CS9080 a good match for ST-L or should I go with Mythos 10 or sth else?

I was thinking about Denon X7200WA. Does it have enough power to drive my 5.1 setup?
Nothing is going to beat another ST-L, if you have the room and the money ($1,750 isn't a cheap center). The CS9080 will certainly save you a grand, but it won't be a perfect match. How much the timbre difference you will notice is up to your ears.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
SimpleTheater is online now  
post #5868 of 5868 Old Today, 01:25 PM
PiK
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I didn't expect that. Think that another ST-L would be an overkill for movies and games. Plus, the speaker has to be placed horizontally.
PiK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off