Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5595 Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought some used gems and one of the grills was not the best and I called Def Tech up and they sent me a new one free. If you don't get that lucky I think they at $15 a piece.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5595 Old 06-26-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know I'm in the minority here but I strongly prefer the SILVER finish

In fact I'd pay more for silver finish

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #633 of 5595 Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I actually don't mind the silver. It's just the black matches the other equipment better.
post #634 of 5595 Old 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So far, my experience with Def Tech support has been good to excellent!

Fingers crossed, on one hand only.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #635 of 5595 Old 06-28-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

I know I'm in the minority here but I strongly prefer the SILVER finish

In fact I'd pay more for silver finish

dc

Well then, you are in luck if you are considering any upgrades. There are bargains to be found in silver on even the newest Mythos models, STS, Nine, etc.
post #636 of 5595 Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I don't pretend to be an expert on prices (especially regarding the 3808), but I'd rate it a (3), or close to it. That would make a great system.

Hi

I need some recommendation for speaker wire. I am waiting for for system to arrive. I decided on going with STS, mythos 9, GEM XL and SC-05 (they are low on stock, so might be a SC-07). I was looking at Blue jean cable. But didn't know how much and what kind of wires do I need.

I will be keeping the sts and center right next to be so not much distance. Does STS require subwoofer wire along with the regular wire?

The rears will need long length as they will have to run thru the side to get to the TV, atleast 50 ft+.

Cheers
B
post #637 of 5595 Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskarnair View Post

Hi

I need some recommendation for speaker wire. I am waiting for for system to arrive. I decided on going with STS, mythos 9, GEM XL and SC-05 (they are low on stock, so might be a SC-07). I was looking at Blue jean cable. But didn't know how much and what kind of wires do I need.

I will be keeping the sts and center right next to be so not much distance. Does STS require subwoofer wire along with the regular wire?

The rears will need long length as they will have to run thru the side to get to the TV, atleast 50 ft+.

Cheers
B

I have STS's , Mythos 10, GemXL's, and SC-05. Im using Audioquest CV-4 for my STS's and Mythos 10, and Audioquest Type1 for my GemXL's. I also use sub interconnects with a Y splitter for the STS's.
post #638 of 5595 Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi

Cheers
B

I used Blue Jeans 12 guage Belkin cable for the speakers. If you wish you could use 10 guage for the rears (although it probably wouldn't be necessary).

For the subs I used the Blue Jeans sub cable with one of their Y-splitters

The length is generally recommended to be the shortest amount you need that does not put any tension on the cable. Basically, I just used a string to measure things out and added a bit extra to make sure I had plenty of slack to relieve tension and to account for the stiffness of the wire--better to be a little long than too short, right?
post #639 of 5595 Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi

Cheers
B

The brand of speaker wire is unimportant. Gauge is, but most people here (AVS) tend to overkill, which does no harm, but isn't necessary either.

The gauge needed is related to distance. For short distances, almost any speaker wire will do. For longer ones, you will need thicker (lower gauge) wire. However, thick wire often is stiff and can be more difficult to install in situations with tight corners. Here is where brands can make a difference, as some are more flexible than others. This table published by an eminent speaker designer can help you decide what gauge you need.

The STS does not require a separate sub (RCA) connection. It is optional, but it does add a bit more flexibility, as it permits you to adjust the LFE volume in the AVR, which you can't do if you don't use a separate LFE connection. Many people don't bother with it though.
post #640 of 5595 Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Was looking for new speakers for my "music" system in my office. Have Von Schweikert VR-4jr's but have found that, unless pulled well out into the room, they don't work well with the wood floors and open archway that the room now has. Since my wife has been incredibly indulgent and cooperative as I've built a dedicated HT, I wanted something with a smaller footprint that would better fit aesthetically in the room.

Heard the STS's at a dealer (driven by a Pathos tube integrated amp) and was very impressed with the full range response and big, well-defined soundstage. While I was mulling my options, up popped the Amazon one day sale (basically half-price with no tax or shipping) so I pulled the trigger.

Just unboxed them (someone at Deftech loves packing tape!) and set them up last night. I'm currenly using an older Pio AVR with MCACC and so I stuck the speakers fairly close to the corners and ran the auto EQ. While I plan on doing some additional tweaking (and a tube amp upgrade), I'm very happy with the results as the STS's seem fairly forgiving of less than optimal placement. So far I'm a happy camper...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #641 of 5595 Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm curious if anyone has compared the Mythos 10 with the Sunfire CRS-3, VMPS series (RM30 or lower) and/or any of the BG Corp offerings (R-17i maybe)?

Thanks,

-john
post #642 of 5595 Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Quick question for you guys, I have been debating between the Mythos ST and STS as soo many of us have. I have a Denon 2809 (110x7) and have no plans of upgrading the receiver or adding components to this system in the next three years. So power is one limiting factor. The other factor, is of course looks to an extent. Whenever I see product pics of the ST the laquer seems soo much shinier and nicer than the STS. Have those who have seen both in person noticed the difference in person or just if the ST is that much more visually impressive?
post #643 of 5595 Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboxer View Post

Quick question for you guys, I have been debating between the Mythos ST and STS as soo many of us have. I have a Denon 2809 (110x7) and have no plans of upgrading the receiver or adding components to this system in the next three years. So power is one limiting factor. The other factor, is of course looks to an extent. Whenever I see product pics of the ST the laquer seems soo much shinier and nicer than the STS. Have those who have seen both in person noticed the difference in person or just if the ST is that much more visually impressive?

In person, the only difference in looks is that the ST looks noticeably bigger. In fact, to me, the difference in size "in the flesh" seemed more than I expected, given their measurements.

As for power, neither requires much. They are very efficient. Sandy Gross powered his ST with a 17 watt tube amp, and later did the same with his STS. Your 2809 will never break a sweat.
post #644 of 5595 Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Looks like I will be spending the extra cash then. LOL I was going to use the money to step up to the Reference sub for my Paradigm system, but looks like I will have to work a couple OT shifts now.

So I would assume Mythos ST, Mythos Ten, and BPVX for rears? The room is only 15 x 18 X 10 with only three walls and the fourth side on the left opens up to the kitchen. I was going with the BPVX since the couch is right against the rear wall (no way around it) and they extend a bit further out and could hopefully extend the rear surround sound further out. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. If not it would be STS, Mythos Nine, and the BP2X as a second option.
post #645 of 5595 Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

If they fit in your room, and within your budget, I highly recommend the STs. I love them. I came from the BP2006, which my wife never cared for, aesthetically. I was about to replace them with the 7001s in the oak color. I thought they looked sweet but when I saw them in person I realized there was no way that they would pass the WAF, and besides, I was tired of that coming from everywhere all encompassing BP sound. I wanted a different staging.

When I went to the store, they had the smaller STS set up. I thought they were the big boys, the STs. While listening to them, I wasn't overly impressed. Then the salesman enlightened me and pointed out the STs. When he demoed them, I was blown away.

My wife loves them, even though they are bigger then my old 2006s. They look beautiful, don't take up that much space and they sound awesome.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #646 of 5595 Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

So I would assume Mythos ST, Mythos Ten, and BPVX for rears? The room is only 15 x 18 X 10 with only three walls and the fourth side on the left opens up to the kitchen. I was going with the BPVX since the couch is right against the rear wall (no way around it) and they extend a bit further out and could hopefully extend the rear surround sound further out. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. If not it would be STS, Mythos Nine, and the BP2X as a second option.

If you go with the STs, I'd recommend the 10 for the center. That's what I have and they work beautifully together.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #647 of 5595 Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfoodog View Post

I'm curious if anyone has compared the Mythos 10 with the Sunfire CRS-3, VMPS series (RM30 or lower) and/or any of the BG Corp offerings (R-17i maybe)?

Thanks,

-john

I have RM 30's in my HT. They have a more forward presentation and substantially more lower bass than the Mythos 10's (not surprsing, given the drivers involved). A fairer comparison would be between the RM 30's and the ST or STS...

John

post #648 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Hi guys,

I just picked up a pair of Mythos ST's. Man are these a HUGE improvement over my Klipsch RF-82's. I'm absolutely in love. The look, the sound quality, what's not to like? Anyway they are currently being run with my Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand center and 4 Klipsch RS-42 rear's (i know, i know, gem xl's are coming as soon as I can sell my 42's). I have the entire system running off of my Denon 3808ci which I also love.

My question is for the ST/STS owners and maybe Mythos One owners i guess. What have your experiences been with adding standalone amplifiers? I realize with the powered subs, the ST's take almost no power to run so I'm curious as to whether or not there would be benefit to adding separate amplification. Recommended brands? I've read a lot of good things about Emotiva. Please let me know what you think guys.

As always thanks for the help in advance

Carrying on the legacy of Len Tweten
post #649 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineRonin View Post

...I have the entire system running off of my Denon 3808ci which I also love.

My question is for the ST/STS owners and maybe Mythos One owners i guess. What have your experiences been with adding standalone amplifiers? I realize with the powered subs, the ST's take almost no power to run so I'm curious as to whether or not there would be benefit to adding separate amplification. Recommended brands? I've read a lot of good things about Emotiva. Please let me know what you think guys.

Let's hope this question doesn't turn this into yet another rancorous "do-power-amps-sound-different" thread. There are plenty of them already, including at least one devoted to the subject. As that thread demonstrates, this is an emotional subject, with strongly held views on both sides. You might as well as ask about politics or religion.

IMO, if you "love" your Denon, why spend a lot of money to replace its amps? As you note, power isn't an issue, nor do the ST's present a difficult load (which the better separate amps arguably handle better than most receivers). One of the great advantages of the ST/STS's is their compatibility with a variety of good quality amps (like those in the Denon 3808ci). But this is all very subjective. There is no "right" answer. If you believe an Emotiva or something else will sound better, it no doubt will, at least to you.
post #650 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi guys,

I just picked up a pair of Mythos ST's. Man are these a HUGE improvement over my Klipsch RF-82's. I'm absolutely in love. The look, the sound quality, what's not to like? Anyway they are currently being run with my Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand center and 4 Klipsch RS-42 rear's (i know, i know, gem xl's are coming as soon as I can sell my 42's). I have the entire system running off of my Denon 3808ci which I also love.

The Mythos St's don't need a separate amp but you could do better then the Denon avr3808ci for sound quality and mainly dynamic's. I have replaced 3808ci's with Pioneer Elite Sc-07 receivers and the dynamic range is very different. The Mythos/SC-07 combo is awesome. I prefer it myself. I think it's a perfect match unless you have the coin for the SC-09tx which sounds like separates with the Mythos ST's in front of it. WOW.
post #651 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

I've gotten all my wire from monoprice. Great price and quality
post #652 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

The Mythos St's don't need a separate amp but you could do better then the Denon avr3808ci for sound quality and mainly dynamic's. I have replaced 3808ci's with Pioneer Elite Sc-07 receivers and the dynamic range is very different. The Mythos/SC-07 combo is awesome. I prefer it myself. I think it's a perfect match unless you have the coin for the SC-09tx which sounds like separates with the Mythos ST's in front of it. WOW.

Thanks a lot for the feeback. I thought about the SC-07 for a long time actually but didn't read very favorable reviews of the MCACC calibration unless you manually went in and adjusted/tweaked a lot of the results. I am a big audyssey fanboy after owning yamaha and Harman Kardon I have been blown away by the difference Audyssey makes.

However to MacFans point, my biggest fear is spending the money on better amplification and not really hearing a large difference. I would also agree that some of what you hear can definitely be what you want to hear . I'm thinking about possibly trying the XPA3 from emotiva as my 6 ohm vienna acoustics center wouldn't be hurt by more power either.

post #653 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the feeback. I thought about the SC-07 for a long time actually but didn't read very favorable reviews of the MCACC calibration unless you manually went in and adjusted/tweaked a lot of the results. I am a big audyssey fanboy after owning yamaha and Harman Kardon I have been blown away by the difference Audyssey makes.

However to MacFans point, my biggest fear is spending the money on better amplification and not really hearing a large difference. I would also agree that some of what you hear can definitely be what you want to hear . I'm thinking about possibly trying the XPA3 from emotiva as my 6 ohm vienna acoustics center wouldn't be hurt by more power either.

You probably didn't look in the right place. They are so long that they probably intimidate people now, but there are any number of users in the SC-05/07 threads (as well as the VSX-01/03 threads and the MCACC thread, among others) that have switched from Denon, Onkyo, et al to Pioneer and insist they like MCACC better than Audyssey. Some professional reviewers have said the same. Most MCACC users don't tweak the results at all, but those that do appreciate the fact that is is easy to do if you want to.

Not trying to start an argument here about which is better, as they both have their own merits (and I'm sure there are members who used both and prefer Audyssey, as well), but just wanted to point out the MCACC has its fanboys, too.

As for the amp, I think you have the right approach: Try one from a vendor/manufacturer who will let you return it if you don't think it makes enough difference to warrant the cost.
post #654 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:

You probably didn't look in the right place. They are so long that they probably intimidate people now, but there are any number of users in the SC-05/07 threads (as well as the VSX-01/03 threads and the MCACC thread, among others) that have switched from Denon, Onkyo, et al to Pioneer and insist they like MCACC better than Audyssey. Some professional reviewers have said the same. Most MCACC users don't tweak the results at all, but those that do appreciate the fact that is is easy to do if you want to.

Not trying to start an argument here about which is better, as they both have their own merits (and I'm sure there are members who used both and prefer Audyssey, as well), but just wanted to point out the MCACC has its fanboys, too.

As for the amp, I think you have the right approach: Try one from a vendor/manufacturer who will let you return it if you don't think it makes enough difference to warrant the cost.

It sounds like you have some experience with the elite's and their amplifier design. I have read both advantages and disadvantages to the class d approach but one thing I do continue hearing consistently is that class d amps are very "dynamic." Again, I realize that one could argue both sides but would it be your belief that possible switching to something class D, like say the upcoming SC-27, would maybe negate the need for an upgraded/external amplifier?

post #655 of 5595 Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

It sounds like you have some experience with the elite's and their amplifier design. I have read both advantages and disadvantages to the class d approach but one thing I do continue hearing consistently is that class d amps are very "dynamic." Again, I realize that one could argue both sides but would it be your belief that possible switching to something class D, like say the upcoming SC-27, would maybe negate the need for an upgraded/external amplifier?

Pioneer uses the ICEPower Class D modules. There are a lot of ICEPower amps on the market from Bel Canto, PS Audio, Wyred4Sound, Rotel, D-Sonic, etc. You could always try one of those with your Denon to get a basic "flavor" of what it could sound like. Some say they each sound a little different because of specific implementations, but they generally have a similar sound.

I own a Bel Canto unit myself. I think some of that "dynamic" stuff you hear about is because the ICEPower amps have excellent control over the bass. The transients are also a little sharper sounding, which could also explain the perception of greater dynamics.

Anyway, I would definitely try an amp with your Denon b/c 1) not everyone thinks a separate amp improves things and 2) not everyone likes the ICEPower sound.
post #656 of 5595 Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think so, but these things are highly subjective and others would disagree. As I said before, the best approach is to try before you buy, if at all possible.

As for research on Class D amps, you might find this article interesting, if you haven't seen it already. It's a bit old, and doesn't discuss Pioneer's proprietary refinements to the ICEPower design, but it covers a number of basics pretty well.
post #657 of 5595 Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Hey, Mantis, are you on the polk forum as well?
post #658 of 5595 Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

Anyway, I would definitely try an amp with your Denon b/c 1) not everyone thinks a separate amp improves things and 2) not everyone likes the ICEPower sound.

With the STS rated at 93dB sensitivity, I'm wondering if anyone has gone the other way and tried them with a lower power tube amp? The speakers are somewhat bright in my non-treated room (the room's fault, not the speakers) and I'm wondering if the euphonics of tube sound would soften that a bit...

John

post #659 of 5595 Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

With the STS rated at 93dB sensitivity, I'm wondering if anyone has gone the other way and tried them with a lower power tube amp? The speakers are somewhat bright in my non-treated room (the room's fault, not the speakers) and I'm wondering if the euphonics of tube sound would soften that a bit...

John

Sandy Gross uses a 17w tube amp with his. That's about as good a recommendation for that approach as anyone could ask for.

For taming the room, an alternative might be a receiver with a quality auto EQ system such as MCACC or Audyssey which can work wonders, probably at a lower cost. My room is a audiophile's nightmare, all reflective surfaces -- glass, concrete, steel, leather upholstery, you name it -- and MCACC made an enormous improvement. I used to always use a different room for serious music listening, as I couldn't stand to listen critically in my HT area. With the STS's and MCACC, I now use my HT/family room for music most of the time.
post #660 of 5595 Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sandy Gross uses a 17w tube amp with his. That's about as good a recommendation for that approach as anyone could ask for.

For taming the room, an alternative might be a receiver with a quality auto EQ system such as MCACC or Audyssey which can work wonders, probably at a lower cost. My room is a audiophile's nightmare, all reflective surfaces -- glass, concrete, steel, leather upholstery, you name it -- and MCACC made an enormous improvement. I used to always use a different room for serious music listening, as I couldn't stand to listen critically in my HT area. With the STS's and MCACC, I now use my HT/family room for music most of the time.

I read about his tube amp with the STS in one of the reviews - Stereophile?

I listen nearfield with the speakers only 5 feet away while I work in my office. I'm currently using an older Pio AVR with first gen MCACC in 2-channel mode. "Stereo" with the EQ engaged has a more focused soundstage and "Direct" is more dynamic. I might use the AVR as a preamp and add a tube amp for fun...

John

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page