post #721 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin_Guy View Post

I am really on the fence with which mythos to go with....I am considering the Mythos STS or Mythos One towers and not sure if the $$ price difference is justified as I have a PB13 Ultra sub which is plenty compitent. Will I be gaining anything more with the STS aside from the bass response??

Can you please tell us a little more about the rest of your system and it's surroundings as that may influence the answer? For example: how large is your room, and will you be planning on running your speakers small or full range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thats what I thought as well...certainly they must be in the process of putting out new models of the Mythos line as with the exception of the ST, STS, 10, and 9 all the other models are fairly old -- I mean I read a mythos one review from 2002 I think....

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #723 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yeah, I completely forgot about the newer model Nine.

If I had the finances, I would go for the best, being the ST. Then, next best, the STS.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #724 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Can you please tell us a little more about the rest of your system and it's surroundings as that may influence the answer? For example: how large is your room, and will you be planning on running your speakers small or full range?

MVP -- I will be powering the speakers with a Denon 3808ci -- right now I am in an apartment and whatever the system I have will become my living room system as my home will have a dedicated room in it. Nonetheless, the room is probably 15' x 20' x 12' and open to the kitchen and dining rooms....

As for running the speakers full range or not -- even the ST and STS roll off in the mid 30 hz range and the only solution for real bass authority is a dedicated sub -- for which I have the SVS PB13 ultra which is plenty capable....This being the question in my mind about the real need for the ST or STS as even those I would cross over at 40hz for best sound quality -- where as the Mythos Ones I would see crossing over at 80hz most likely...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #725 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks/sounds like you listen to a lot of music. Am I correct? Then, spend the extra money on the STS. I've heard all three and the ST/STS models are better than the One in frequency accuracy (define lows - accurate mid/highs, etc).

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #726 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

What I have learned from reading the entire Thread after getting my Mythos Ten is that the drivers in the Ten, ST & STS series are better than the rest of the Mythos line. I don't remember for sure but I think the crossovers are too. You can always shoot an email to Def Tech support. Someone else is sure to chime in here.

Add the Nine to that list, too.

Chopin_Guy, if your screen name reflects your musical tastes, you should seriously consider the STS.

I went through the same decision process. Like you, I already had an excellent sub (two in my case) and wasn't sure the STS would be worth the extra money. I'm not sure it would have been if I were using them just for HT or maybe even popular music, but for subtly nuanced reproduction of acoustic instruments, the improved midrange/tweeter in the STS's really shine. And the ability to use them full range for two channel music was another big plus, as there are only a few speakers that can reproduce the entire musical spectrum like the STS can. In my room, they are flat below 30Hz, rolling off in the upper 20's. Musical instruments do not go below 30Hz (excluding a few pipe organs).

Of course, subs are essential for HT, as they handle all the LFE, as well as the low bass from all the "Small" speakers. If that is your intended use, you'd probably be equally happy with the Ones. Properly calibrated, I doubt many people could hear much difference in a pure HT environment.

Edit: Opps, I missed a few posts. Sorry about the redundancy.
post #727 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Well I do I'm a pianist, but after practicing/playing -- using my ears -- for five plus hours a day, most of my time at home of movies/tv and some music. Not sure if it's cool or not to dicuss prices (I'm new sorry) but I am not talking new from dealer -- I can buy a 5 month old pair of STS's for about half retail total w/shipping (Audiogon) or I can get a refurbished pair of Mythos Ones and a new Mythos Eight Center for a hundered less than that total w/shipping...

Thats where I'm at at -- I don't have my Pioneer PRO-111FD wall mounted and I thought it might be nice to have to 3 channels up front with the Mythos Eight being able to lie in front of the Pioneer only being like 4-5" deep....especially for the movie watching...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #728 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Will you get a warranty with either choice?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #729 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Yeah, that's the caveat -- with STS's I would have warranty but only through the original purchaser....as for the Mythos One's no, but they are unpowered with less to go wrong -- if anything at all. The eight is new and under warranty....

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #730 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

It's good to know that you will at least have the warranty on the STS in case something goes wrong witht the amps (highly unlikely but not impossible). They are already broken in, which is a plus. Go for the STS. If you don't, you'll always wonder what you missed.

Find out if the warranty is transferrable.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #731 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's good to know that you will at least have the warranty on the STS in case something goes wrong witht the amps (highly unlikely but not impossible). They are already broken in, which is a plus. Go for the STS. If you don't, you'll always wonder what you missed.

Find out if the warranty is transferrable.

+1, especially with your musician's ear. Plus, it's easier to add a center channel later than to upgrade everything if you decide you want to.
post #732 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Will you get a warranty with either choice?[IMG]http://www.**********************/file.php[/IMG]

I'd like to know this too..if its possible its a must
post #733 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers12 View Post

I'd like to know this too..if its possible its a must

I already contacted Definitive and thier warranties do not transfer. That's the reason why with the STS's if anything happens -- I would have to go through the original purchaser and his dealer...

We shall see....its a tough decision...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #734 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already contacted Definitive and thier warranties do not transfer. That's the reason why with the STS's if anything happens -- I would have to go through the original purchaser and his dealer...

We shall see....its a though decision...

This all depends on where you live in regard to where the seller is.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #735 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM

[quote=Perpendicular;16869149]This all depends on where you live in regard to where the seller is.
QUOTE]

Oh we are no where close together....it would probably more of a problem than its worth to ship to him, pay to have them fixed, and return shipping if something were to go wrong....

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #736 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I say, go for it!

At half retail, what do you have to lose for such a marvelous loudspeaker??

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #737 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The STS is a great speaker, no doubt. You certainly can't go wrong there.

But, just to play Devil's advocate...

I ended up choosing the Ones over the STS's because I had planned on getting 2 subs. The thinking being that Ones plus a sub would give me the functional near equivalent of a Mythos with a built in sub, but with more flexibility of sub placement (since the optimal position of the sub(s) is rarely the same as the optimal position for the front speakers). The 2 free standing subs also gave me more headroom than the built in subs of the STS.

In addition, a potential advantage, however slight, of the Ones over the STS is that it uses the same drivers as the Eights. Since I was going with Eights as the Center and the rear surrounds, as well as the RSS II's as side surrounds, I wanted the front's drivers to match each of those speakers as closely as possible. (The STS's drivers are a little smaller and closer to the Fours and the Nine. The drivers of the Ones are similar in size to those of the ST) I also had to spread my cash over 7 speakers and 2 subs, so the cost/value considerations also came to the fore.

In Chopin_Guy's case, however, he has a brutal sub already, so I think the STS would fit in nicely and give more ooomph than the Ones (especially in his open room). However, I suspect the Ones with a proper crossover would be nothing to sneeze at, especially when using an Eight as the center.

Just my two cents.
post #738 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not too sure about the reasoning behind the racetrack designed woofers and passive radiators in the Nine, Ten, ST & STS but whatever it is, the design sounds great to me!

On the other hand, the tweeter on the Ten sound fabulous. I don't normally like metal dome tweeters but the Pure Aluminum dome is very accurate and non-fatiguing in my system. I can't say that for the other Mythos models other than the Nine, ST & STS.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #739 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

The STS is a great speaker, no doubt. You certainly can't go wrong there... However, I suspect the Ones with a proper crossover would be nothing to sneeze at, especially when using an Eight as the center...

I completely agree.

For HT use, having a high quality center is a great asset that helps balance the scale. On the other hand, the STS has such great imaging qualities that I'll admit with multichannel music I often have to put my ear to the center to determine if that channel is actually in use.

Quote:

..the tweeter on the Ten sound fabulous. I don't normally like metal dome tweeters but the Pure Aluminum dome is very accurate and non-fatiguing in my system...

My sentiments as well, although after a break-in period, my Three started sounding much sweeter to me, too. (As usual in these cases, I'll never know if it was the tweeter or my ears that broke in. )

Tough decision, but in the end, Chopin_Guy, you can't make a bad choice either way. Both have advantages. You'll just have to decide your priorities and charge ahead.
post #740 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Mythos Twos and 1 Three from 6av with the Name your Own Price sale. Got a great deal
post #741 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeng View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Mythos Twos and 1 Three from 6av with the Name your Own Price sale. Got a great deal

I do not know anything about that sale with 6ave...OneCall has really great prices on the Silver Mythos speakers...I was really hoping to get the blacks but I might just have to bite on the silver finish as I am just too weary to buy without a warranty I think...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #742 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not know anything about that sale with 6ave...OneCall has really great prices on the Silver Mythos speakers...I was really hoping to get the blacks but I might just have to bite on the silver finish as I am just too weary to buy without a warranty I think...

Before you purchase through the Internet, I would call around to your local hi-fi shops to see if they possibly have any new or used ST, STS or even Ones at a discounted price. You might be surprised!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #743 of 5560 Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Chopin
PM sent
post #744 of 5560 Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM

i was searching for good surround speakers and really like the mythos series checked out at the best buy yesterday, i am pondering over two options
1. Mythos One for F&R,
Mythos Three/Eight for the centers
Mythos Gem / ProMonitor 1000 for the surrounds
and Sub
2. BP7004 for F&R

Would have liked to have STS but out of the budget range
My room is of 22*22 size with a cathedral ceiling, any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
post #745 of 5560 Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesht View Post

i was searching for good surround speakers and really like the mythos series checked out at the best buy yesterday, i am pondering over two options
1. Mythos One for F&R,
and Sub
2. BP7004 for F&R

Would have liked to have STS but out of the budget range
My room is of 22*22 size with a cathedral ceiling, any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

There's a pretty big difference between the BPs and the Mythos, and most people seem to have a distinct preference for the sound of one vs the other. I imagine most people here prefer number 1, or we wouldn't own Mythos.

If you go with the BP's, I'd suggest you stick with that line, at least for the center (the rears are less critical). DefTech recommends the C/L/R2002 with the BP7004's, and that would seem to be a better match. BP owners on AVS would probably suggest the C/L/R2500, but that runs up the bill.

You didn't mention a subwoofer. If you don't have or intend to get one, then the BP7004's have a distinct advantage. Mythos (other than ST/STS) are made to be used with subs; the 7004's can do pretty well with the ones that are built-in.

I haven't done the math, but I'd certainly investigate the option of just one pair of STS's with a Nine (or even a Three) and Gems for surrounds. The fronts still do most of the heavy lifting, even in a 5.1/7.1 array, and that combo has been a runaway critical hit.
post #746 of 5560 Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 AM

thanks macfan sub mostly i might go with the SB12-plus, so i presume mixing the series will affect the overall o/p performance of the speakers, i like the BP7004 but the CLR series are a bit boxy and need some wife convincing also to do in that case :-)
post #747 of 5560 Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks macfan sub mostly i might go with the SB12-plus, so i presume mixing the series will affect the overall o/p performance of the speakers, i like the BP7004 but the CLR series are a bit boxy and need some wife convincing also to do in that case :-)

The SB-12 would be a very nice choice, and would complement the Mythos beautifully.

Mixing series is likely to result in less than optimal transitions from one speaker to the next. This would be especially noticeable if the center were different than the front. That said, a lot of people mix brands, much less series, and are happy enough with the results, especially if they have a receiver that EQs the speakers to make them sound more alike. Its not the textbook solution, but it can be made to work.

I had a hunch size might be a problem with the centers, but the CLR would still be the best choice with the 7004's if you can get past that hurdle.
post #748 of 5560 Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, natesht:

You're correct--mixing series would likely be suboptimal given they are voiced differently, and bipoles sound differently than direct radiators.

If WAF is an issue, the BP's are certainly not obtrusive by tower standards, but the Mythos series tends to be even less of an issue. (The STS and ST's are very nice in this regard since the spouse doesn't see an additional sub).

In addition, to use them at their best, you really can't cram the BP's smack up against a wall. (Of course, that's not optimal for Mythos either, however, I think placement is a bit more flexible in this series).

Cost aside, I think the key is whether you dig the Bipole sound or not and what your wife will allow in the house
post #749 of 5560 Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

The SB-12 would be a very nice choice, and would complement the Mythos beautifully.

Mixing series is likely to result in less than optimal transitions from one speaker to the next. This would be especially noticeable if the center were different than the front. That said, a lot of people mix brands, much less series, and are happy enough with the results, especially if they have a receiver that EQs the speakers to make them sound more alike. Its not the textbook solution, but it can be made to work.

I had a hunch size might be a problem with the centers, but the CLR would still be the best choice with the 7004's if you can get past that hurdle.

I have the Mythos One's and recently added an Epik Vanquish sealed sub - slightly more expensive than the SB12 but not by much. It blends flawlessly with the Mythos and really sounds great - huge step up for me from the Def Tech Prosub 80.
post #750 of 5560 Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post

I have the Mythos One's and recently added an Epik Vanquish sealed sub - slightly more expensive than the SB12 but not by much. It blends flawlessly with the Mythos and really sounds great - huge step up for me from the Def Tech Prosub 80.

Hey, RC1991: I just looked at the FRC of the Vanquish--I'll bet that sounds superb with your system--that box plays loud and low, but has enough around 80 to 100MHz to complement the Mythos very well. I'd be interested how you like the fit/finish of that particular sub--is it smooth or textured? Please post some pics if you get a chance.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page