Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 5553 Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

I realize the Tens and the BPVX's are from different families, but how well would three Tens across the front and either 2 or 4 BPVX's for surround work together??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

It would kick ass!! The drivers would be a different size though...

I'm sure they would be great. I had some communication with DefTech about a similar arrangement once, and they said the same thing. They don't seem to be as concerned about matching driver sizes as people here are.
Macfan424 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 5553 Old 07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

Is there a particular reason why most of you prefer the XL's over the Gems? Since there really isn't that much coming out of a surround, do the BDSS drivers really make that much a difference. I'm planning on buying some surrounds here real soon and wanted to be convinced to get the XL's.

I'd agree "there really isn't that much coming out of" rears, but my observation is that there is a lot of information coming from surrounds, so I want them to be very high quality, in the same ballpark even if not quite equal to my mains. The larger BDSS drivers in the XL's seem to be an improvement in both range and clarity to me, although that may be little more than personal bias. I like the XL's because they're designed to support an 80Hz crossover, if nothing else.

That said, as I've mentioned before, DefTech recommends Gems as surrounds with STS's, and I have confidence they are not trying to lead their customers into a bad decision. (Especially one that would give them less profit at the same time. ) I'm sure the Gems work very well in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

Also, what Definitive Technology subwoofer would work the best with ST's or STS's? The only other option I have for subwoofers is MartinLogan. I used to have Mythos One's with a MartinLogan Dynamo behind each one. It sound nice, but I'm sure it could have been better. Thoughts?

Sticking with DefTech subs, clearly the Trinity would be "best." At a more reasonable price point, the Reference would work well. The SC I might not be a bad choice, but I wouldn't bother with a II or III with the ST/STS as I don't think they'd add that much (other than an additional bass source, which may or may not be a good thing, depending upon your room).

The problem is that at the price points involved there are many better-bang-for-the-buck choices available unless you can swing an especially great deal on the DefTechs. That's why you see so many recommendations here for various ID brands.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #813 of 5553 Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

I want a pair of mythos one's, I think...lol.

They sounded great, they really did. Someone gave me an offer for them I couldn't refuse, so I parted with them. Now, that I'm looking for new mains, I want to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I'd agree "there really isn't that much coming out of" rears, but my observation is that there is a lot of information coming from surrounds, so I want them to be very high quality, in the same ballpark even if not quite equal to my mains. The larger BDSS drivers in the XL's seem to be an improvement in both range and clarity to me, although that may be little more than personal bias. I like the XL's because they're designed to support an 80Hz crossover, if nothing else.

That said, as I've mentioned before, DefTech recommends Gems as surrounds with STS's, and I have confidence they are not trying to lead their customers into a bad decision. (Especially one that would give them less profit at the same time. ) I'm sure the Gems work very well in practice.

Sticking with DefTech subs, clearly the Trinity would be "best." At a more reasonable price point, the Reference would work well. The SC I might not be a bad choice, but I wouldn't bother with a II or III with the ST/STS as I don't think they'd add that much (other than an additional bass source, which may or may not be a good thing, depending upon your room).

The problem is that at the price points involved there are many better-bang-for-the-buck choices available unless you can swing an especially great deal on the DefTechs. That's why you see so many recommendations here for various ID brands.


Thanks. You're points are well taken concerning the Gems vs. XL's.

So, you're saying that if I can get Def Tech subwoofers like the Trinity, Reference and SC at the same, or near the same price, of subwoofers other members have recommended here, I should go with Def Tech? The only reason I ask is because I can buy Def Tech and ML product at 30-70% off MSRP.
texasveteran is offline  
post #814 of 5553 Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascen5sion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

They sounded great, they really did. Someone gave me an offer for them I couldn't refuse, so I parted with them. Now, that I'm looking for new mains, I want to upgrade.




Thanks. You're points are well taken concerning the Gems vs. XL's.

So, you're saying that if I can get Def Tech subwoofers like the Trinity, Reference and SC at the same, or near the same price, of subwoofers other members have recommended here, I should go with Def Tech? The only reason I ask is because I can buy Def Tech and ML product at 30-70% off MSRP.




Can u say group buy ?
Ascen5sion is offline  
post #815 of 5553 Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

...So, you're saying that if I can get Def Tech subwoofers like the Trinity, Reference and SC at the same, or near the same price, of subwoofers other members have recommended here, I should go with Def Tech? The only reason I ask is because I can buy Def Tech and ML product at 30-70% off MSRP.

IMO, there are too many good choices to advocate one brand over all the others, but at half price, the DefTechs certainly can hold their own, especially the Trinity and Reference. Those two can deliver the thunderous infrasonic bass that so many of us look for.

The SC I, II, and III are good solutions when space is a problem, but they don't go as deep or play as loud as the bigger subs they compete against. But then, not everyone cares about that, and the SC's serve a particular niche.

I suspect everyone here has their own list of "best subs" (depending upon their own budget, space, priorities, biases and taste) and I don't intend to get into that other than to say the only real complaint about DefTech subs has been their cost, not their quality.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #816 of 5553 Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I'm sure they would be great. I had some communication with DefTech about a similar arrangement once, and they said the same thing. They don't seem to be as concerned about matching driver sizes as people here are.

My communications with DefTech pretty much coincide with this--their general position is that all of the Mythos were meant to mix/match since the voice of the speakers are similar.

However, once I pinned them down with particular system choices, the customer service rep began making the point about matching drivers for a slightly more seamless soundfield, which led me to my current choices (and more $$$ for Def Tech )
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #817 of 5553 Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
elite-home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the help and recommendations and decided to take the plunge on the 4 Gem XL's to complement the STS towers and the mythos ten. I did not move forward on the sub as I want to "hear" the system before I get too carried away with the additions. I am very anxious and they say delivery will be the first of the week so let's hope all goes well. Thanks again to all of you for all the information and plethora of knowledge this thread has, it really made my choice a bit easier.
elite-home is offline  
post #818 of 5553 Old 08-01-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home View Post

Well thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the help and recommendations and decided to take the plunge on the 4 Gem XL's to complement the STS towers and the mythos ten. I did not move forward on the sub as I want to "hear" the system before I get too carried away with the additions. I am very anxious and they say delivery will be the first of the week so let's hope all goes well. Thanks again to all of you for all the information and plethora of knowledge this thread has, it really made my choice a bit easier.

Good for you! Please let us know how it goes.
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #819 of 5553 Old 08-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

IMO, there are too many good choices to advocate one brand over all the others, but at half price, the DefTechs certainly can hold their own, especially the Trinity and Reference. Those two can deliver the thunderous infrasonic bass that so many of us look for.

I think the Reference might be my subwoofer. I just found out the price and... wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

[/b]


Can u say group buy ?

Nah, I work part-time for Magnolia @ Best Buy.
texasveteran is offline  
post #820 of 5553 Old 08-01-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

I think the Reference might be my subwoofer. I just found out the price and... wow!

Great!

Quote:


Nah, I work part-time for Magnolia @ Best Buy.

Are they hiring?
Macfan424 is offline  
post #821 of 5553 Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascen5sion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

I think the Reference might be my subwoofer. I just found out the price and... wow!



Nah, I work part-time for Magnolia @ Best Buy.


There is a used Trinity on Audiogon for less than the price of a new reference... I know you get your discount but it may be wortg looking into. I have the reference but if I could afford that trinity right now it would be mine.
Ascen5sion is offline  
post #822 of 5553 Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Member
 
RedlineRonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,

As I'm still considering my AVR options when I sell my 3808ci I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Onkyo's powering any of their Mythos speakers. Let me know what you think.

Carrying on the legacy of Len Tweten
RedlineRonin is offline  
post #823 of 5553 Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Member
 
smarti03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at some mixing and matching for a new L, R and C and have listened to some but not yet all of the Mythos models I'm considering, i.e., the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8. I really like the M line. (Assume a good sub is in the mix and ignore the rears for now, please.) I have in particular not been able to hear the M-5's and was wondered if the tuning of the cab's really compensates for the smaller drivers? I assume if you imagine being in a blind listening evaluation, you'd expect to hear a difference between the 1 and the 5, no? And would you have a hard time picking out any of the 2, 3, 4 and 8 against one another? (Again, assume a good sub is in the mix and tweaked to suit each M). My issue here is I like the M line and may need to shop price heavily to get the three pieces right now, so some thoughts from the forum members would be much appreciated to add to what I've been able to gather from my own listening sessions. Thanks.
smarti03 is offline  
post #824 of 5553 Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarti03 View Post

I'm looking at some mixing and matching for a new L, R and C and have listened to some but not yet all of the Mythos models I'm considering, i.e., the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8. I really like the M line. (Assume a good sub is in the mix and ignore the rears for now, please.) I have in particular not been able to hear the M-5's and was wondered if the tuning of the cab's really compensates for the smaller drivers? I assume if you imagine being in a blind listening evaluation, you'd expect to hear a difference between the 1 and the 5, no? And would you have a hard time picking out any of the 2, 3, 4 and 8 against one another? (Again, assume a good sub is in the mix and tweaked to suit each M). My issue here is I like the M line and may need to shop price heavily to get the three pieces right now, so some thoughts from the forum members would be much appreciated to add to what I've been able to gather from my own listening sessions. Thanks.

OK, here goes nothin': The 2's and 3's are essentially the same speaker, except the 3 is meant to be used horizontally as a center. The 4's share drivers with the 2's and 3's and match them really well. My previous system has 4's, a 3, and 2's in them, and they all sounded very much the same.

The 1's and the 8's also share commmon tweeters and drivers--these are what I have now, and they too, sound very similar--but obviously have a fuller sound and greater extension than do the 4's, 3's, and 2's. This is my current system, and I prefer the sound over my previous sytem.

The 5's I have no experience with, but given the size difference, I strongly suspect you'd be able to tell the difference between the 5's and the 1's.

Having said that, because the Mythos speakers are all voiced the same, you can mix/match pretty well. For example, the 3 makes an excellent center speaker for the 1's.

I hope this helps a little.
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #825 of 5553 Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Member
 
smarti03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks much. And that wasn't "nothin" it was very helpful. I've not been able to find anywhere to hear the 2-3-2 vs. 1-8-1 side by side. Aside from noting you prefer the fuller range of the latter, can you (or others reading) contrast them any further? There's such a huge difference in cost -- in this case you might say 2+2=1 ('cause it's just about double). I know for some audiophiles a 2% improvement is huge and worth doubling the investment, but for some of us it's more like 20% will do the trick, if you catch my drift.
smarti03 is offline  
post #826 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

There is a used Trinity on Audiogon for less than the price of a new reference... I know you get your discount but it may be wortg looking into. I have the reference but if I could afford that trinity right now it would be mine.

Thanks for the reference. (Pun intended) However, I can still get a new Trinity for much less than the price of a new Reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Great!

Are they hiring?

They aren't hiring. They don't hire very often in that department. I'm actually just making my way over from their core HT department.
texasveteran is offline  
post #827 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Newbie
 
RonKatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody have the aluminum SSA-50 with a black bezel television? I love this speaker and it was considered outside of my price range until I saw the deals to be had on the aluminum-colored model. I would just like to know whether it would clash or otherwise not be aesthetically pleasing when matched to my Samsung 55" LCD (black bezel with "touch of color").

Thanks!
RonKatcher is offline  
post #828 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarti03 View Post

Thanks much. And that wasn't "nothin" it was very helpful. I've not been able to find anywhere to hear the 2-3-2 vs. 1-8-1 side by side. Aside from noting you prefer the fuller range of the latter, can you (or others reading) contrast them any further? There's such a huge difference in cost -- in this case you might say 2+2=1 ('cause it's just about double). I know for some audiophiles a 2% improvement is huge and worth doubling the investment, but for some of us it's more like 20% will do the trick, if you catch my drift.

In a small to mid sized room played at moderate volumes, you probably wouldn't notice much difference unless you A/B'd them. Not to say there isn't any, only that it'd be relatively subtle under these circumstances.

With audio gear, diminishing returns are always part of the equation. Once you reach a certain level of performance, incremental increases become quite costly. A Mythos Two/Three set up would probably make you very happy if they fit your circumstances.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #829 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

They aren't hiring. They don't hire very often in that department. I'm actually just making my way over from their core HT department.

Oh well, the commute would be a deal breaker anyway!
Macfan424 is offline  
post #830 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Newbie
 
jhstl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently picked up the following setup for my living room, which is about 12x16x8 and has an archway opening to a 12x14x8 dining room.

Pioneer Elite SC-07 receiver
DT Mythos STS towers for the front
DT CLR2300 center channel
DT Mythos Gems for the rear

I do not have them wired using the LFE input, just using speaker wires.

What should I have the knobs dialed in on the towers and center? I don't have a sub right now, but I'm considering adding something to cover the really low frequencies that the STS's cannot do. It seems like the radio shack db meter wants me to put them at around 11 oclock, but 1 oclock seems much better sounding to me. 1 oclock would put them at about 5-6db hot, according to my meter (although, I'm not sure what frequency the Elite SC-07 uses as a test tone for the SW output, so I could be off a couple dbs since it's not the corrected amount). Is this safe to run on the STS's?

If I add a sub, what could I get for less than $800 but with a piano black finish? I was looking at a MFW-15, SVS pb12-nsd, anything else? How much am I actually missing by not being able to re-produce the really low hz? I'd imagine I would set the crossover really low on any sub I would add, like 40hz, and have the STS cover the rest, would that make sense?

Any help appreciated
jhstl is offline  
post #831 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstl View Post

I recently picked up the following setup for my living room, which is about 12x16x8 and has an archway opening to a 12x14x8 dining room.

Pioneer Elite SC-07 receiver
DT Mythos STS towers for the front
DT CLR2300 center channel
DT Mythos Gems for the rear

I do not have them wired using the LFE input, just using speaker wires.

What should I have the knobs dialed in on the towers and center? I don't have a sub right now, but I'm considering adding something to cover the really low frequencies that the STS's cannot do. It seems like the radio shack db meter wants me to put them at around 11 oclock, but 1 oclock seems much better sounding to me. 1 oclock would put them at about 5-6db hot, according to my meter (although, I'm not sure what frequency the Elite SC-07 uses as a test tone for the SW output, so I could be off a couple dbs since it's not the corrected amount). Is this safe to run on the STS's?

If I add a sub, what could I get for less than $800 but with a piano black finish? I was looking at a MFW-15, SVS pb12-nsd, anything else? How much am I actually missing by not being able to re-produce the really low hz? I'd imagine I would set the crossover really low on any sub I would add, like 40hz, and have the STS cover the rest, would that make sense?

Any help appreciated

1) I'd set the amps to be "flat" in your room (i.e. 11:00 in your case). If you want to boost the lows, I'd run an LFE connection and tweak the subwoofer output in your 07. It's easier to go back to a flat response if you do it that way. I'd recommend limiting the boost to 2 or 3dB though (which your RS SPL meter pretty much does on it's own).

The SC-07's MCACC will set your system correctly (i.e. flat), and, if anything, is more accurate than your SPL meter. I like to use it while I adjust the STS amp until MCACC reports the 63Hz band adjustment to be 0 or -1. If you use All Channel Adjust for this, you can then account for the differences in placement between the two speakers.

I'd suggest you give the flat response a fair try for a few days. If you are used to a boosted bass response, it may sound flat at first, but when your ears become accustomed to it, they will start to hear nuances throughout the audio spectrum that boosted lows tend to bury. It's those subtleties that make your STS's (and SC-07) so special.

In the end, though, use what sounds best to you. You won't hurt the equipment (within reason), and it's your system.

2) I'm partial to the PB12-NSD myself, but both are good sub choices in your price range, as would be models from Hsu or eD among others, although I don't think any of these match your Piano Black requirement.

A separate sub is always beneficial to an HT system. Would you miss anything without one? Maybe not... until you heard the system with one. The STS's can produce more than adequate bass, but the widow rattling, infrasonic stuff in some movies can't be reproduced without more help. While perhaps 95% of the bass you'll encounter is within the STS's capability, you won't be sorry if you add a free standing sub.

I prefer to run my STS's full range ("Large") and send the lows from the other channels together with the LFE to my subs. The best way to integrate the sub is to bypass the sub's crossover and have the AVR handle the crossover. In most cases, the best setting is 80Hz.

Trimming the sub's crossover as you propose would eliminate LFE above the crossover (40Hz or whatever you chose). LFE is not transferred to the mains when a sub is attached, so the part you eliminate would be lost altogether.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #832 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Newbie
 
jhstl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

1) I'd set the amps to be "flat" in your room (i.e. 11:00 in your case). If you want to boost the lows, I'd run an LFE connection and tweak the subwoofer output in your 07. It's easier to go back to a flat response if you do it that way. I'd recommend limiting the boost to 2 or 3dB though (which your RS SPL meter pretty much does on it's own).

The SC-07's MCACC will set your system correctly (i.e. flat), and, if anything, is more accurate than your SPL meter. I like to use it while I adjust the STS amp until MCACC reports the 63Hz band adjustment to be 0 or -1. If you use All Channel Adjust for this, you can then account for the differences in placement between the two speakers.

I'd suggest you give the flat response a fair try for a few days. If you are used to a boosted bass response, it may sound flat at first, but when your ears become accustomed to it, they will start to hear nuances throughout the audio spectrum that boosted lows tend to bury. It's those subtleties that make your STS's (and SC-07) so special.

In the end, though, use what sounds best to you. You won't hurt the equipment (within reason), and it's your system.

2) I'm partial to the PB12-NSD myself, but both are good sub choices in your price range, as would be models from Hsu or eD among others, although I don't think any of these match your Piano Black requirement.

A separate sub is always beneficial to an HT system. Would you miss anything without one? Maybe not... until you heard the system with one. The STS's can produce more than adequate bass, but the widow rattling, infrasonic stuff in some movies can't be reproduced without more help. While perhaps 95% of the bass you'll encounter is within the STS's capability, you won't be sorry if you add a free standing sub.

I prefer to run my STS's full range ("Large") and send the lows from the other channels together with the LFE to my subs. The best way to integrate the sub is to bypass the sub's crossover and have the AVR handle the crossover. In most cases, the best setting is 80Hz.

Trimming the sub's crossover as you propose would eliminate LFE above the crossover (40Hz or whatever you chose). LFE is not transferred to the mains when a sub is attached, so the part you eliminate would be lost altogether.

Thank you for the great advice. I hadn't thought about the possibility that I had the knob up too high on the towers when I first calibrated it using the MCACC, which I suspect is the case. When I get home, I will re-run the MCACC and see what it had going on in the 63hz region, then begin tweaking the knobs to try and get them to 0 at 63hz. Is there an eaisier to do this on the SC-07 than having to run the full auto MCACC? I apologize, I'm not an expert on using that software since I've only had this setup for about a week.

Thanks
jhstl is offline  
post #833 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
texasveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: plano, tx
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Oh well, the commute would be a deal breaker anyway!

Touche.
texasveteran is offline  
post #834 of 5553 Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstl View Post

Thank you for the great advice. I hadn't thought about the possibility that I had the knob up too high on the towers when I first calibrated it using the MCACC, which I suspect is the case. When I get home, I will re-run the MCACC and see what it had going on in the 63hz region, then begin tweaking the knobs to try and get them to 0 at 63hz. Is there an eaisier to do this on the SC-07 than having to run the full auto MCACC? I apologize, I'm not an expert on using that software since I've only had this setup for about a week.

Thanks

I don't know any way other than to run MCACC a few times, but you can save a little time by only running the EQ Pro portion (See chapter 7 of your manual, specifically p 44.)

You might be able to bring it into the ballpark by bypassing MCACC (set it to Off) and adjusting with the SPL meter, as you did before. (Not sure what tone you used to do this.) Run MCACC after doing this, though, for a better reading.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #835 of 5553 Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Member
 
smarti03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

In a small to mid sized room played at moderate volumes, you probably wouldn't notice much difference unless you A/B'd them. Not to say there isn't any, only that it'd be relatively subtle under these circumstances. With audio gear, diminishing returns are always part of the equation. Once you reach a certain level of performance, incremental increases become quite costly. A Mythos Two/Three set up would probably make you very happy if they fit your circumstances.

Thanks, but I'm still leaning toward reaching for the M1s I think. I stopped in another BB today and the Mag Room was quiet so I played a bit. The had M2s but not M1s in the room, but I had the chance to A/B them against a half dozen speakers at length and to try various center options, which leads to my question of the moment. I have a new Sammy 46 inch B650 LCD display and its on its own stand on top of a glass topped open A/V cabinet. The two shelves under that top are both pretty full of gear and the Mythos centers like the 8 or even the 3 are so wide that if I centered one on the main shelf there'd then not be enough room for the receiver. Soooo , I've focused on 3 options:
1) laying an M3 or M8 right in front of the Sammy;
2) laying another center, like a Procenter 1000 or Mirage 03C, in that same spot; or
3) using another center that's more compact, like a Klipsch, and using the middle spot of the upper shelf below the Sammy.
I know keeping within the family is the usual wisdom, so an M3 or M8 is an obvious enough choice to go with M1 or M2 mains. It looks like either will just fit under the screen, hugging but not actually breaking the bottom line of the picture (as long as one hasn't had too many brewskies and slid one's head down almost to the sofa seat cushions, that is). The negative is that it will be right along or so close to the picture line that the center will be a bit prominent visually -- even I'll admit that, so I can imagine the wife-o-meter will be in the "are you kidding" zone or even worse the sarcastic "looks really good there, huh?". The Procenter1000 is a bit lower and seems a better fit physically. When I tried the PC1000 as a center with a pair of M2s at the Mag, it sounded like a very close blend to me, as I'd expect from such a close cousin, design-wise. For logistical reasons I could not audition this set-up in a movie situation, which is where the center obviously would matter most, only in a 5.1 music context. If anyone has Ms with a PC1000 center or has had the opportunity, I'd be interested in comments and/or comparisons with an M3 or other center. As to the Mirage O3C, I tried this combo and was pleasantly surprised by the positive result (again, tried this only in music mode, not movie mode) and that was without any tweaking in the receiver as to levels (which my Panny receiver permits as to most good AV receivers). The 03C sound is less crisp, but also more diffused by design, so you have the airy timbre of the Ms and the airy directional dispersion of the 03C and it seemed to work pretty darn well. Actually I have some Mirage Nanos around, so I could get the Ms with no center and then try something with the Nanos, like wiring a pair in series to make a 16 Ohm loop and so for the center I'd be positioning one at each corner of the screen. Anyone ever try this split-center approach?
smarti03 is offline  
post #836 of 5553 Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^^^ I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from stepping up to the Ones. They were what got be started on Mythos to begin with, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

I have a Mythos Three placed right under my Kuro in the manner you are considering. Luckily, it is a perfect fit, and doesn't intrude at all. It just disappears, both visually and audibly.

Ideally, one would use identical speakers all around, but most of use have to compromise to some extent. There is going to be a slight degree of timbre mismatch between horizontal and vertical speakers, even with identical drivers. My Elite AVR with MCACC blends my Three and STS's beautifully, and does a nice job with my daughter's Paradigm/Infinity "mismatch", as well. Don't know anything about your Panasonic, but if it has an auto EQ function, you might be pleasantly surprised if you combine differing designs.

I use Mirage Omnisat FS's as surrounds, and I'm constantly amazed about how seamlessly they blend with my STS's in that role, both with movies and multichannel music.

The beauty of buying from BB is that you can try the speakers at home with no significant risk. That's what I did with my Omnisats, and they turned out to be far better than I ever imagined.

Nothing wrong with trying the Nanos you already own, although I'd stick with just one. I'd be concerned about wave cancelation effects with two omnidirectional speakers placed in close proximity when the designer has not compensated for them in some way.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #837 of 5553 Old 08-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ramzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After thinking about them forever, I finally ordered the STs. I am awaiting their arrival this Tues. I'm swapping out from the BP7006. I have a supercube 1, but the feeling I get from this thread is its not so good with the STs.

I recently swapped my procenter 2000 for a CLR2300. I'm aware it won't be a perfect fit, however my space is limited for the moment. I also swapped out my M&K K4s for the GEM XLs as my side surrounds. Noticed a sound improvement in regards to effects and immersion immediately, especially at high volumes. Looking forward to mounting those in the near future. I'm using the Studio Monitor 350s for rear surround.

Off topic a bit, but does anyone know or have experience with using just decorative fabric parts of walls for sound reflections? If so, is it useful, or skip it?

I'll chime in with my 2 cents soon regarding the upgrade. Hopefully I can help others who are also thinking about upgrading.
ramzy is offline  
post #838 of 5553 Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy View Post

After thinking about them forever, I finally ordered the STs. I am awaiting their arrival this Tues. I'm swapping out from the BP7006. I have a supercube 1, but the feeling I get from this thread is its not so good with the STs...

Congratulations on the ST's. I'm sure you'll love them.

The SC I is fine with the ST's. It'll dig a little deeper, and give you placement flexibility you don't enjoy with built-in subs. The only rap is that what it adds may not be proportional to it's cost. But it will add something, and you already own it, so its cost is no longer an issue.

Look forward to your further comments.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #839 of 5553 Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Member
 
smarti03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

^^^^^ I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from stepping up to the Ones. They were what got be started on Mythos to begin with, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

. . . .

Nothing wrong with trying the Nanos you already own, although I'd stick with just one. I'd be concerned about wave cancelation effects with two omnidirectional speakers placed in close proximity when the designer has not compensated for them in some way.

Well I've pulled the trigger with on the M-1s, so in a week or so they'll be here and the real phase will begin. As to the Mirage Nanos, I'd certainly try one and two and positioning to be sure wave cancellation wasn't doing any harm -- even with one the distance from the wall etc. would still make that a possible issue. But that aside, if I take the Nanos and set them up as a pair in series to make a 16 Ohm loop for the center do you think that will result in dramatically differing volume on that loop vs. all the other speaker lines which would be straight 8 Ohm lines?
smarti03 is offline  
post #840 of 5553 Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Member
 
blueboxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got my ST, Ten, and BPVX in last week, unfortunately I have been running a high fever and sick as a dog all week. I set up the ST already to break them in and so far I am very pleased. They are very content running off an AVR and were fairly easy to setup after moving them about 2.5 feet from the back and side walls. I think they could benefit from a little more distance, but my setup and room layout does not make it possible. The bass is sufficient, but I ordered a reference as well in case I decide I need more low end. Visually, they are go with the modern theme for my downstairs, but are not as rich or eloquent as the Studio 100's.

I will get the rears setup on Monday when I have a little rest and help, pictures will hopefully follow. Now I will have to focus on completing my Studo V5 setup with seperates for a real comparison of the two. )
blueboxer is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off