Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbears View Post

Thanks! Now I just need to find an SC07!, which is proving challenging except from some online retailers, which.....geez, are there any online retailers known to be rock solid, totally trustworthy, that have SC07s left? Can find SC07s, but more seem to be from ones that aren't as solid.....Had a bad experience with a online retailer buying a videocamera......

You might consider looking at your local BB/Magnolia store--when I was deciding on a receiver, they were a local source for the Pioneer receivers at fairly good prices--plus, they were willing to deal.

I think Axxis Audio (one of the forum sponsors) had the SC-07 for sale as well a few months ago.

If you haven't completely locked in on the SC-07, you might check out the Yamaha Z-7--after a lot of research (and hand wringing ), I ended up going with the Yammy instead and really love it! As an added bonus, it's much easier to find one authorized on-line at great prices.
mvp2005fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbears View Post

Oops! Meant to be
http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...923&class&3&4&

I'll contact and check if authorized or not (how do they prove that?)

I don't remember if that's the same person I bought mine from but I believe it is. Contact him and he can provide you with his web address, from there you'll be able to see and verify that he is an authorized Elite dealer.
Mark F is offline  
post #903 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Michaelmorio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I ran Audessy on the Onkyo 805 receiver on a speaker system which has a Mythos 10 as a center. It gave me a 100 Hz cross over reading. It sounds a bit too high. Any comment? Thank you.

Michaelmorio
Michaelmorio is offline  
post #904 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelmorio View Post

Last night I ran Audessy on the Onkyo 805 receiver on a speaker system which has a Mythos 10 as a center. It gave me a 100 Hz cross over reading. It sounds a bit too high. Any comment? Thank you.

Michaelmorio

That does seem a little high (I would think closer to 80Mhz would fit better). What kind of sub are you using in your system?--perhaps the sub plays high enough that Audessey set things this high?
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #905 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Michaelmorio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

That does seem a little high (I would think closer to 80Mhz would fit better). What kind of sub are you using in your system?--perhaps the sub plays high enough that Audessey set things this high?

MVP2005fan,

Thank you for your feedback. I use a Fathom 12 for sub. Other speakers I use are JBL S312 for fronts (they are 3 way with 12" woofer), JBL Studio L830 for surrounds ( they are 3 way with 6 1/2 woofer) and GemXL for rear surrounds. Audessey recognizes the S312 & L830 as full range and the cross over for the GemXL is 120 Hz.
I was useing a matiching center for S312 which has 2 x 5 1/2 woofer, 2 1/2 midrange and 1" tweeter. I believe the Audessey gave it 80 Hz cross over and it sounded right to me.
The reason I put the Mythos 10 was because I planned to move to the Mythos system from JBL. My idea was to put a pair of ST for fronts, Mythos 10 for the center, either Mythos STS or One for surrounds and the GemXL for the rear surrounds.
But at this point when I heard how the Mythos 10 sounded with other speakers (JBL and Def Tech mixed), the center channel is missing something. Bass is weeker and the sound doesn't seem to come forward and it seems it lacks clarity a bit in comparison to the JBL center.
I am just divided. Will pursuing with the Mythos system give me better result?

Michaelmorio
Michaelmorio is offline  
post #906 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Michaelmorio, DefTech suggests a 60Hz crossover with the Ten. It certainly can handle 80Hz. The weaker bass could come from the high crossover. I've never used Audessey, so I don't know if there is a reason to use what it chooses, but if not, I'd lower the crossover and see if that helps.

The Mythos Ten is by most accounts one of the clearest, most accurate center channel speakers on the market. It may not match the JBL's, but it should sound excellent in an abstract sense. It may be that you are just used to the JBL sound and have come to favor it.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #907 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mantis10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Michaelmorio, DefTech suggests a 60Hz crossover with the Ten. It certainly can handle 80Hz. The weaker bass could come from the high crossover. I've never used Audessey, so I don't know if there is a reason to use what it chooses, but if not, I'd lower the crossover and see if that helps.

The Mythos Ten is by most accounts one of the clearest, most accurate center channel speakers on the market. It may not match the JBL's, but it should sound excellent in an abstract sense. It may be that you are just used to the JBL sound and have come to favor it.

I agree. Not to mention you need to break in the 10 before you can really listen to it. Speakers take time to break in , once they do they sound there best.
Mantis10 is offline  
post #908 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
elite-home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well tomorrow the Mythos Ten arrives for the center to complement the STS and GemXL's which sound awesome. I took the plunge on the Reference Super Cube by Def Tech and hope it will be here by the weekend- I am done after that, plain and simple

Though I can't wait to get my hands on the Denon AVR-4810 in September to upgrade from the 4310. Thanks again to all of you have helped and assisted, your knowledge is greatly appreciated and admired.
elite-home is offline  
post #909 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Newbie
 
caraudiofan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw numerous raving reviews about the DT Mythos STS but don't seem to find any comments/discussions about the measurements done on these fronts (See below). It seems like the distortion level of the STS at 50, 100 and 500 Hz are excessive and was through the roof below ~65Hz. That said I haven't gotten a chance to listen to them yet. Can someone who has comment on their experience? Maybe the ST is better with the large radiator and bass woofer?

Based on only the reviews, I really had my mind set on it because I wanted a large front that can play really low to replace my Paradigm Studio 20 v2. But this measurements I saw was quite discouraging. The Paradigm Studio 60 v5 looks a bit better but it doesn't play as low.

The graphs (sorry I can add urls to my post yet since this is my first post)
Website soundstagenetwork

measurements/speakers/definitive_technology_sts
measurements/speakers/paradigm_studio60_v5
caraudiofan21 is offline  
post #910 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Member
 
fquails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fquails View Post

Are the two systems below equivalent in terms of sound quality?

1. Mythos One X 2 PLUS SuperCube II X 2
2. Mythos STS X 2

The STS has been getting rave reviews, but I think there is more placement flexibility with having separate subwoofers. Will use speakers about 80/20 for music/movies.

Thanks for all the responses to my question (see quote above).

Some of the responses described the STS subs as being musical, which in my experience I associate with tight/crisp/quick/punchy bass. The viewing/listening room has 100% tile floor with some area rugs, curtains and leather furniture near the a/v gear which tamed any brightness. Not sure if there is enough treatment for overly tight/punchy/crisp bass, though. I auditioned a couple of sealed Martin Logan subs, and boy they sounded like my head was being hammered!! So I'm afraid that the STS, being described as 'musical', may sound too tight/crsip/punchy in my room. The supercube II, since it's not 'musical', may sound sloppy in a carpeted room, but may sound just right in my room?

Can a slightly 'sloppy' subwoofer like the supercube II sound tighter in a tiled room?

Anybody have the STS in a tiled room?
fquails is offline  
post #911 of 5569 Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Member
 
fquails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post



i would take 2 of these rythmik audio subs over dual SCII's any day. especially for music

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html


also note that the rythmik subs are flat to 14hz, the supercube II's can barely get down to the mid to high 20s. there's only so much you can ask from an 8" woofer

Thanks for the subwoofer recommendation. I may get a 12 inch sub such as the one you suggested down the road strictly for movies. A 12 inch sub for music is too much bass for my ears, but absolutely absolutely necessary for movies. The rythmik goes down to 14hz? Wow!!!

The SCII, an eight incher, or the built in subs in the STS's, should be sufficient and not too overwhelming for music, but I doubt will be enough for movies.
fquails is offline  
post #912 of 5569 Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudiofan21 View Post

I saw numerous raving reviews about the DT Mythos STS but don't seem to find any comments/discussions about the measurements done on these fronts (See below). It seems like the distortion level of the STS at 50, 100 and 500 Hz are excessive and was through the roof below ~65Hz. That said I haven't gotten a chance to listen to them yet. Can someone who has comment on their experience? Maybe the ST is better with the large radiator and bass woofer?

Based on only the reviews, I really had my mind set on it because I wanted a large front that can play really low to replace my Paradigm Studio 20 v2. But this measurements I saw was quite discouraging. The Paradigm Studio 60 v5 looks a bit better but it doesn't play as low.

The graphs (sorry I can add urls to my post yet since this is my first post)
Website soundstagenetwork

measurements/speakers/definitive_technology_sts
measurements/speakers/paradigm_studio60_v5

I've been in this hobby for many years, and one of the things that became apparent to me early on is that there is surprisingly little correlation between how a loudspeaker measures and how it sounds. While I've rarely heard a speaker that measures well but doesn't sound good, I've heard a number of great sounding speakers that had mediocre results on the test bench.

The only meaningful standard for loudspeakers is how they sound. Rather than being hung up on the measurements, why not note what the accompanying review had to say about how they sounded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundStage! View Post

...to say that I was impressed by the Mythos STS would be an understatement. It sounded utterly spectacular...

...after extended listening to the Mythos STS, nothing jumped out at me as being obviously lacking. The entire frequency range was balanced, and the midrange was exceptionally present. The powered woofer section provided true subwoofer-quality bass that is rare with any speaker...

...in terms of absolute performance it compares favorably to the more expensive Paradigm Reference Signature S8, my current reference speaker...

..The clear and balanced midrange presentation of the Mythos STS was equal to that of the S8. With both speakers, vocals had breathy realism that was captivating

...If I were shopping for a speaker in this price range, it would be at the top of my list...

The Paradigm Studio series is outstanding , although I'd probably consider the Studio 100's a closer comparison to the STS's. The v5's may even be approaching the quality of the reviewer's older Signatures. You wouldn't make a mistake buying them. If the measurements matter that much to you, the Paradigm Studio's might be the way to go. Like the STS's, they are in the top echelons of their price class.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #913 of 5569 Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
SpedInFargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home View Post

Well tomorrow the Mythos Ten arrives for the center to complement the STS and GemXL's which sound awesome. I took the plunge on the Reference Super Cube by Def Tech and hope it will be here by the weekend- I am done after that, plain and simple

Though I can't wait to get my hands on the Denon AVR-4810 in September to upgrade from the 4310. Thanks again to all of you have helped and assisted, your knowledge is greatly appreciated and admired.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the Ten instead of the Nine with the STS's? I have a pair of STS's and thought I read somewhere that the Nine was more of a match for the STS whereas the Ten was more of a match with the ST...

I had a Nine on order from my local vendor forever and they couldn't get it filled. I just went ahead and ordered a Nine from Amazon ... should be here tomorrow... (looking forward to it - I've had a temporary center channel for the last two months).

Out of curiosity, does anyone here know what's up with the Silver Gem XL? I think that's what was holding up my order and I see the've been out of stock on Amazon for a long time as well. I'm about to say screw it and order the black version... (prices on the silver versions of the front three speakers were too good to pass up...)
SpedInFargo is offline  
post #914 of 5569 Old 08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Member
 
awanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in need of some advice. I am considering a speaker upgrade to Def Tech Mythos One for my front speakers, Mythos Three for the Center Channel, and Mythos Twos for the Side and Rear Surrounds.

My current set up is:

Mitsubishi HC5500 1080p projector
Onkyo TX-SR876
Cerwin-Vega vs-100 (fronts)
Definitive Technology NCVB ProCenter 100 Mk II Compact Center Speaker
Phoenix Gold ATi8 (in-wall side surrounds)
Definitive Technology NCUB ProMonitor 100 Mk II (rear surrounds)
Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer
120" Matte White 1.1 gain screen

My theater room is 20.5' X 16.5'

Would the new Def Tech Mythos, listed above, be a noticeable (huge) improvement upgrade over my current set of speakers? I understand that sound quality is partly subjective. But could you help me with your thoughts and opinions, and redirect my speaker choices, if I am not choosing the correct speaker for my theater room.

The main reason that I am thinking of upgrading, is that I used to have the Klipsch C-2 center speaker, but the wife and I had problems hearing the dialogue in movies. I thought it was our hearing, or poorly recorded dialogue audio from the studio, until I decided to try to the Def Tech Compact center speaker listed above, and I couldn't believe how clear the dialogue became using the Def Tech compact center. I listened to movies that had hard to understand dialogue, and the dialogue was no longer muddled.

So if you could give me some advice, as to my speaker choices for my set up, I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks. Bill
awanders is offline  
post #915 of 5569 Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Newbie
 
caraudiofan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I've been in this hobby for many years, and one of the things that became apparent to me early on is that there is surprisingly little correlation between how a loudspeaker measures and how it sounds. While I've rarely heard a speaker that measures well but doesn't sound good, I've heard a number of great sounding speakers that had mediocre results on the test bench.

The only meaningful standard for loudspeakers is how they sound. Rather than being hung up on the measurements, why not note what the accompanying review had to say about how they sounded?

The Paradigm Studio series is outstanding , although I'd probably consider the Studio 100's a closer comparison to the STS's. The v5's may even be approaching the quality of the reviewer's older Signatures. You wouldn't make a mistake buying them. If the measurements matter that much to you, the Paradigm Studio's might be the way to go. Like the STS's, they are in the top echelons of their price class.

Good point, and sometimes the unique characteristics shown in measurements contributes to how people "like" the sound of it e.g. the peaks at dips at different frequency range.

How much of the low freq distortion should be taken in consideration when pairing them with subs? Would it be better to cross it at around 65 hz with a sub that plays ~20-80hz well rather than one that plays 10-50hz well?

STS vs the 100s, it's going to be a tough one. Hope I'll be able to find a place where they have both in the same room.
caraudiofan21 is offline  
post #916 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mantis10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudiofan21 View Post

Good point, and sometimes the unique characteristics shown in measurements contributes to how people "like" the sound of it e.g. the peaks at dips at different frequency range.

How much of the low freq distortion should be taken in consideration when pairing them with subs? Would it be better to cross it at around 65 hz with a sub that plays ~20-80hz well rather than one that plays 10-50hz well?

STS vs the 100s, it's going to be a tough one. Hope I'll be able to find a place where they have both in the same room.

I have heard both many times and while the 100's are nice , I prefer the STS over them every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Paradigm is hit or miss for me. I really like there on wall speakers like the Espree's and even Cinema series. They shine for in wall and in ceiling as well but all of there floor standing speakers sound compressed and bloated. It seems the try to recreate to much bass. They tend to loosen up down low and become 1 hit wonders. The Studio 20's are pretty damn good. I like them with there new B&W like cabinet. That speaker is very nice. With a good sub , I'd run that up against the STS.

The STS is fantastic in every meaning of the word. It's clear and crisp and hits really hard. The music abilities of this speaker is not what you would expect from a what seems to be a theater first speaker. It's imagining is pin point and soundstage is huge. Not B&W huge but pretty damn big. Bigger again then I expected. The STS blows me away. The first time I installed a pair I sat there in shock. I didn't expect to hear what I did.

Speakers are personal and there is no way for me or anyone else to judge a speaker for someone else. Studio 100' are nice speakers they are just not for me. I'm sure there are people who will like them more then the STS.
Mantis10 is offline  
post #917 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
otk
AVS Special Member
 
otk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

I have heard both many times and while the 100's are nice , I prefer the STS over them every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Paradigm is hit or miss for me. I really like there on wall speakers like the Espree's and even Cinema series. They shine for in wall and in ceiling as well but all of there floor standing speakers sound compressed and bloated. It seems the try to recreate to much bass. They tend to loosen up down low and become 1 hit wonders. The Studio 20's are pretty damn good. I like them with there new B&W like cabinet. That speaker is very nice. With a good sub , I'd run that up against the STS.

The STS is fantastic in every meaning of the word. It's clear and crisp and hits really hard. The music abilities of this speaker is not what you would expect from a what seems to be a theater first speaker. It's imagining is pin point and soundstage is huge. Not B&W huge but pretty damn big. Bigger again then I expected. The STS blows me away. The first time I installed a pair I sat there in shock. I didn't expect to hear what I did.

Speakers are personal and there is no way for me or anyone else to judge a speaker for someone else. Studio 100' are nice speakers they are just not for me. I'm sure there are people who will like them more then the STS.

have you ever heard the ST ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
otk is offline  
post #918 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Newbie
 
dmself11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for awhile and finally my Mythos st's are arriving today. I was wondering what is the best way to break in the speakers. Is general use good enough or do I need to play certain music and at a specific volume. I will have ST's with mythos 10 as a center and GEM XL's as surround. My power will be with the pioneer sc-07. Thanks.
dmself11 is offline  
post #919 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmself11 View Post

Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for awhile and finally my Mythos st's are arriving today. I was wondering what is the best way to break in the speakers. Is general use good enough or do I need to play certain music and at a specific volume. I will have ST's with mythos 10 as a center and GEM XL's as surround. My power will be with the pioneer sc-07. Thanks.

General use -- or as Definitive Technology puts it, "normal playing" -- is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos ST Owner's Manual View Post

Your Mythos STs should sound good right out of the box; however, an extended break-in period of 40-60 hours or more of normal playing is required to reach full performance capability. Break-in allows the suspensions to work in and results in fuller bass, a more open blossoming midrange and smoother high frequency reproduction.

Macfan424 is offline  
post #920 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
elite-home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the Ten instead of the Nine with the STS's? I have a pair of STS's and thought I read somewhere that the Nine was more of a match for the STS whereas the Ten was more of a match with the ST...

I had a Nine on order from my local vendor forever and they couldn't get it filled. I just went ahead and ordered a Nine from Amazon ... should be here tomorrow... (looking forward to it - I've had a temporary center channel for the last two months).

Out of curiosity, does anyone here know what's up with the Silver Gem XL? I think that's what was holding up my order and I see the've been out of stock on Amazon for a long time as well. I'm about to say screw it and order the black version... (prices on the silver versions of the front three speakers were too good to pass up...)

Really no reason in particular, I just ordered the Ten before I really researched it, it arrived yesterday and the limited time I spent with it was enjoyable- the audyssey settings were really unique since they set the Ten at -8.5 whereas the STS were at -4.5, not sure if this is a problem I created or just the way it is but the sound was great. I have been really enjoying the two GemXL's as the surround R/L and they sound great, waiting to run speaker wire to place the other 2 GemXL as the DSX Wide- hopefully this weekend.
elite-home is offline  
post #921 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Newbie
 
blurry_eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! I'm a new Mythos STS owner and am trying to set them up for a home theater. I have a Denon 5308 AV receiver and the Denon has the capability to output to 3 independent subs. I can set the Sub outputs to L/R/LFE among various other choices. So I'm considering going with the L/R/LFE and then connecting the STS LFE inputs to the Denon and then using my dedicated Sub for the LFE output.

My question relates to the crossover and speaker size setting. Definitive recommends setting the AV receiver as 'Large' and Sub = Yes if I go with the LFE inputs on the STS's. But that seems to be the case if you are using a 'Y' connector or a AV receiver that can be set to output to one sub only. I'm experimenting now as I think the proper setup for a 3 sub output system should be: Front speaker size = Small, Crossover = Between 80hz to 150hz (still need to see how different crossover frequencies sound), Sub = Yes, Sub Configuration = L/R/LFE. I could go Sub output of 3SP-Mix.

My thought is that by using a dedicated LFE output to the STS's, I can use the Audyssey Multi EQ system to adjust each Sub's frequency response and gain the benefits of the Audyssey system in the system. I considered running the STS's full range, but then I don't think the Audyssey system could dial in the sub frequency response as well as if the STS's were being fed independent sub channel info.

Does what I'm thinking make sense? Also does anyone know exactly where the internal crossovers of the STS's are crossing over the mid range and woofer drivers? Stuff I've run across in review measurements suggests the internal crossover is set at 150hz, but I'm not sure. I poked around the Definitive site, but didn't run across any specs that spelled out the internal crossover range.

Another concern I have is that by using the Denon's crossover and running the STS's as small speakers, I'm messing up the way Definitive designed the cabinet's to resonate a bit, but in the end, I guess pleasing my ears are what matters, but I thought I'd see what the forum has to say about running a pair of STS's like this.

My total configuration is 7.3 (Mythos 9 center, STS as L/R, Gems as surround backs and M&K Dipoles as side L/R and M&K Sub - The M&K's are my leftovers from rebuilding my HT this past week with the Definitives). Thanks!
blurry_eyed is offline  
post #922 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Member
 
mnbears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alrighty, took the plunge and bought the Mythos ST / Mythos 10 / GemXL package, with the Pioneer SC07. Cannot wait to get everything and start setting up........will be like several weeks of Christmas eve......Thanks to all who post and offer comments.
mnbears is offline  
post #923 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
blurry_eyed, I have some thoughts, but no experience with that Denon's unique setting options, so anything I'd say would be pure guesswork on my part. What I'd suggest is submitting the information above to the guys at Definitive Technology customer service and soliciting their advice. They are extremely helpful and obviously know their product better than we do.

Oh, BTW, if they tell you the crossover, please post it here. I've been curious, too, although my guesstimate has been the same as yours.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #924 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbears View Post

Alrighty, took the plunge and bought the Mythos ST / Mythos 10 / GemXL package, with the Pioneer SC07. Cannot wait to get everything and start setting up........will be like several weeks of Christmas eve......Thanks to all who post and offer comments.

Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy your setup as much as I do my similar one. Great combination, IMO.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #925 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Newbie
 
blurry_eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

blurry_eyed, I have some thoughts, but no experience with that Denon's unique setting options, so anything I'd say would be pure guesswork on my part. What I'd suggest is submitting the information above to the guys at Definitive Technology customer service and soliciting their advice. They are extremely helpful and obviously know their product better than we do.

Oh, BTW, if they tell you the crossover, please post it here. I've been curious, too, although my guesstimate has been the same as yours.

Thanks for the tip, I'll send a message to Definitive, see what they say and report back here.
blurry_eyed is offline  
post #926 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mantis10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

have you ever heard the ST ?

Yes many time and I actually purchased them along with a 10 center and 10's for rears.
I am a In Home audio video Installer/ programmer and got hooked on the St's from there ability to be a double duty speaker which I find hard to do. Some speakers excel at music but are not as good for theater, some are the other way around. The Mythos St and even the STS are fantastic double duty speakers. I never thought a powered tower speaker could sound so good. I heard and owned powered towers and never cared for them. These Mythos series speakers are fantastic.
Mantis10 is offline  
post #927 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mantis10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry_eyed View Post

Hello! I'm a new Mythos STS owner and am trying to set them up for a home theater. I have a Denon 5308 AV receiver and the Denon has the capability to output to 3 independent subs. I can set the Sub outputs to L/R/LFE among various other choices. So I'm considering going with the L/R/LFE and then connecting the STS LFE inputs to the Denon and then using my dedicated Sub for the LFE output.

My question relates to the crossover and speaker size setting. Definitive recommends setting the AV receiver as 'Large' and Sub = Yes if I go with the LFE inputs on the STS's. But that seems to be the case if you are using a 'Y' connector or a AV receiver that can be set to output to one sub only. I'm experimenting now as I think the proper setup for a 3 sub output system should be: Front speaker size = Small, Crossover = Between 80hz to 150hz (still need to see how different crossover frequencies sound), Sub = Yes, Sub Configuration = L/R/LFE. I could go Sub output of 3SP-Mix.

My thought is that by using a dedicated LFE output to the STS's, I can use the Audyssey Multi EQ system to adjust each Sub's frequency response and gain the benefits of the Audyssey system in the system. I considered running the STS's full range, but then I don't think the Audyssey system could dial in the sub frequency response as well as if the STS's were being fed independent sub channel info.

Does what I'm thinking make sense? Also does anyone know exactly where the internal crossovers of the STS's are crossing over the mid range and woofer drivers? Stuff I've run across in review measurements suggests the internal crossover is set at 150hz, but I'm not sure. I poked around the Definitive site, but didn't run across any specs that spelled out the internal crossover range.

Another concern I have is that by using the Denon's crossover and running the STS's as small speakers, I'm messing up the way Definitive designed the cabinet's to resonate a bit, but in the end, I guess pleasing my ears are what matters, but I thought I'd see what the forum has to say about running a pair of STS's like this.

My total configuration is 7.3 (Mythos 9 center, STS as L/R, Gems as surround backs and M&K Dipoles as side L/R and M&K Sub - The M&K's are my leftovers from rebuilding my HT this past week with the Definitives). Thanks!

No man,
set your fronts up as large , they are a full range speaker. You can run just speaker wire (which requires much tuning to get right , I suggest running line level as well) and run your 3rd sub. If the 5308 has 3 subs out, run them all as LFE. This will give max coverage in your room. I don't remember 3 subs out on the Denon, it's been awhile since I installed one and I only used one sub in that system.
Audyssey should be able to calibrate each sub correctly. I can give you tips on how to setup manually before you run Audyssey. Getting proper level on each sun wth it's line level control (volume control) before is golden.
Mantis10 is offline  
post #928 of 5569 Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Member
 
mnbears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me ask this - my wife really likes the look of the mythos speaker system and, accordingly, almost wants to move them into the larger, open floor plan type living room that we have on our main floor, instead of putting them in a 14'*14', carpeted, square room upstairs that currently houses our HDTV.

The large room downstair has a two-story ceiling (so, 18 ft, say), very open floor plan, opens into the entirety of the downstairs pretty much. A much larger room, maybe 15 X 18. No drapes, hardwood floors, one area rug. We had actually placed the new HDTV upstairs when we bought it because the echo downstairs (or so I assume it was the echo) made our panasonic crt tv and Sony HTIB hard to hear - dialogue was obscured. We assumed that it was room acoustics.

Would these speakers (mythos st towers, mythos 10, gem xls) work in such a room, or would the acoustic problems affect things just as much as before? I'm getting an SC07 for my receiver, but I can't imagine a receiver can "anti-reverb" a room. Would the mcacc help in this regard, or is a live, echoy room cursed :-)

Anyway, I'll stop there, maybe folks have some ideas to share, similar arrangements.
mnbears is offline  
post #929 of 5569 Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Hey guys-

I don't usually price drop, but this is too ridiculous to not mention:

Amazon/Vann's has the Mythos 1's in silver (only) for $389 EACH.

I had these and loved them, just wanted a little more low-end to play with my SVS Ultra though.

Just wanted to let people know.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #930 of 5569 Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Member
 
mnbears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the GEM stands for GEM XLs? It was suggested to me by a dealer that those stands could be a little bit "tippy", being not fully designed for the size of the XLs? Omnimount Gemini 1s suggested to me instead? Any other recommendations?
mnbears is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off