Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbears View Post

Of course I bought 12 gauge from monoprice and my surround stands won't accept 12 gauge it says! Ha! Go figure.....So, in using this technique, can I open the outer jacket and pull out/send several feet worth of the inner wires up the stand, or does the jacket need to be preserved over longer distances? That just might fit......Front three speakers sound great so far!

Sure, the white jacket provides protection, but it isn't a shield. Just make sure you keep the red and black insulation on the inner wires - you cannot remove that, except for the last 1/2" or so that attaches to the binding post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM

^^^ Thanks!

Yeah, I finally finished hooking up the STs, 10, and gemxls, powered by the pioneer sc07, and just watched U571 last night. Man, what a rush - giddy grin while enjoying that one. Just awesome.........Now I just need to figure out what to do with all of these boxes - a lot of it once unpacked! Do people hold on to these boxes in case they need to ship back if something goes wrong with a speaker under warranty? A lot of box to store!

I guess one question - I have the gemxls set up probably at 90 degrees (couch on back wall, can't go behind at all), pointing into the center of the room. This seems to make the soundfield more "in front of" the listening position. Does pointing the surrounds (in a 5.1), gemxls in my case, directly across the couch, directly at the listener, work better and/or make the soundstage bigger? Not sure if I'm pointing those in the wrong direction.......Sounded great, no deep complaints, but, perhaps obviously, perhaps pointing the surrounds into the center of the room almost made the soundfield start somewhat in front of the listening position.....
post #1083 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbears View Post

I have the gemxls set up probably at 90 degrees (couch on back wall, can't go behind at all), pointing into the center of the room. This seems to make the soundfield more "in front of" the listening position. Does pointing the surrounds (in a 5.1), gemxls in my case, directly across the couch, directly at the listener, work better and/or make the soundstage bigger? Not sure if I'm pointing those in the wrong direction.......Sounded great, no deep complaints, but, perhaps obviously, perhaps pointing the surrounds into the center of the room almost made the soundfield start somewhat in front of the listening position.....

I believe that the conventional wisdom in your case would be to point the surrounds directly at the sofa. But sound radiates 360 degrees from the speakers, then it bounces (invisibly) all over the place. So I don't personally think there is a mathematically perfect answer.

Therefore, I think the correct answer is that your sofa is like the optometrist's office. At the optometrist, he doesn't know which lens looks best, you have to use your own eyes. You have lots of movies to enjoy, and over the coming months, see which changes you can discern.
post #1084 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Does running Audyessy on brand new speakers hurt them?
I would think not, but those bursts are pretty loud.

When I get my St's I want to get them setup an throw in Transformers and give it a go.

post #1085 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

It shouldn't hurt them and if anything should help the break-in process.
I would run Audessy again after about 100 hours of loudspeaker break-in or whatever the manufacturer recommends.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1086 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Rebound:

First of all, you haven't done anything "horrible". The Mythos family of speakers are all voiced the same, so they all mix/match and blend well together.

In terms of the purist's view, it's supposedly ideal to have equivalent drivers/tweeters all around, with the notion you get a more seamless soundfield, so most of us "oldies" stick by the party line and recommend that.

However, in real world applications, even if the driver sizes are different, if you are in the same family, you generally come out OK.

For example, before Mythos made the 8's, the 3's was the preferred center for the 1's, and got rave reviews. The 3 as center also works great with the 4's. (this used to be my setup).

Others on this thread have even mixed/matched speakers from different manufacturers with laudable results (see MacFan24). The ultimate test is what the speakers sound like in your room--not solely theory and measurements. (Therefore, equal attention should be paid to speaker placement, room dimensions, treatments, etc.).

So, my humble advice is: just keep what you have and see if you like it before springing for the 4's. If you're happy--stand pat--and use the money to buy a sub. If not, upgrade to the 4's. and buy a sub later. My guess is that you will like what you hear whichever way you decide to go.

Enjoy!

Rebound, a big +1 to all of that (in case you needed any further reinforcement).

I'd only add that whatever difference you'd hear (likely to be nominal in the first place) would be more noticeable a higher volume levels and less so at the lower levels you indicate you'll usually use. Keep in mind that variances in speaker positioning have an effect on their perceived response as well, especially if your room is less than perfect acoustically. Even identical speakers do not guarantee an absolutely perfect match in most real world situations. This does not detract from the experience for most people. Generally speaking, if speakers are carefully matched by the designer, they will blend well together even if they do not share identical components.

Your idea of adding Fours to use up front is a good one to consider whenever you are ready to add two more speakers to your setup. However, a subwoofer should be your first upgrade priority. Mythos speakers (other than ST/STS) are designed to be used with a sub, and will seem bass shy without one as they do not have the artificial mid bass boost other small speakers typically employ to fool the ear into believing they produce more bass than they do.
post #1087 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I get my St's I want to get them setup an throw in Transformers and give it a go.

No, Audyessy won't harm brand new speakers. Loud as they are, those bursts take less than one or two watts of power, hardly enough to trouble your speakers.
post #1088 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post

I believe that the conventional wisdom in your case would be to point the surrounds directly at the sofa. But sound radiates 360 degrees from the speakers, then it bounces (invisibly) all over the place. So I don't personally think there is a mathematically perfect answer.

Therefore, I think the correct answer is that your sofa is like the optometrist's office. At the optometrist, he doesn't know which lens looks best, you have to use your own eyes. You have lots of movies to enjoy, and over the coming months, see which changes you can discern.

There is a general rule that with a 5.1 system, direct radiating speakers should be at 30 degrees from the listening area and about 3 feet above. If you`re using 7 speakers the last two should be directly behind you about a foot apart, at the same height as the side speakers. Considering this is free advice you should take it with a grain of salt and play with it `till is sounds good to you.
post #1089 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM

So my Mythos 1's and my Mythos 8 were delivered today! They are beautiful. Now I need a receiver, surrounds and a sub. I was thinking of just setting up the front three speakers for now and buying the receiver. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of either an Onkyo or Denon...
post #1090 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

How about a Pioneer ICEamp?
The two (Def Techs & Pioneer SC Series AVRs) are harmonically synergistically meant to be together.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1091 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper D View Post

Jeff, first thank you for your insight; it was helpful. Now to your questions. My home theater room is in my basement, essentially half my basement is split; one half is my home theater 13x12 and the other half is my bar and sitting area with a pool table. My basement is fully finished with dry wall on the walls and ceiling (no drop ceiling) but I have hardwood floors with an area rug in my theater space. I'm thinking this may affect the sound.

As for a 5.1 or 7.1, I am thinking of intially going 5.1 with the thought of expanding to 7.1 in the future. I may also look to set up a second zone in the other half of my basement, but that is far off.

For surrounds I was planning on wall mounts, but could do stands if necessary. Thoughts on placement and model options?

For receivers, I get that I need more power, what about the Onkyo TX-SR876 in addition to what you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Dapper,

Like MVP suggested the Gem XL's would be a good match as surrounds for your system. The di pole configuration of the gems is usually good for surrounds because they are omnidirectional (hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from). With your setup however I'd recommend using a couple more Mythos Eights as surrounds if you can afford them. The reason is your space. With your theater in one half of a larger room you'll probably get better results from a direct firing speaker for your surrounds rather than a dipole.

As far as placement I would suggest ear level to the sides and slightly to the rear of your main seating position. The Mythos are designed to be wall mounted so you shouldn't have to mess with stands.

As receivers go The Onkyo TS-XR876 is a nice receiver but I feel that in the price point you would get more out of another brand. For Instance the Yamaha 3900 offers an equivalent Audio feature set and goes beyond with IP connectivity and digital video scaling (it will scale images from HDMI sources) which the Onkyo will not. Another great option in that price point is the Pioneer Elite SC-27.

Jeff Sprowls
AXXIS AUDIO
AVS FORUM SPONSOR
post #1092 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper D View Post

Jeff, first thank you for your insight; it was helpful. Now to your questions. My home theater room is in my basement, essentially half my basement is split; one half is my home theater 13x12 and the other half is my bar and sitting area with a pool table. My basement is fully finished with dry wall on the walls and ceiling (no drop ceiling) but I have hardwood floors with an area rug in my theater space. I'm thinking this may affect the sound.

As for a 5.1 or 7.1, I am thinking of intially going 5.1 with the thought of expanding to 7.1 in the future. I may also look to set up a second zone in the other half of my basement, but that is far off.

For surrounds I was planning on wall mounts, but could do stands if necessary. Thoughts on placement and model options?

For receivers, I get that I need more power, what about the Onkyo TX-SR876 in addition to what you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Dapper,

I have a similar setup as you. Dual purpose basement, party room, hard wood flooring, bar, games, etc. I am running 7.1 through a Denon 5808ci and and an Outlaw 5.1 amp. I have Mythos ST's for my main, a Ten for my center and (4) Gem XL's for surround. I am running a pair of HSU ULS-15's. I had 5.1 and honestly don't think it is worth spending $1000 plus to go to 7.1 for an additional pair of Gem XL's. I think you are making a wise decision to wire for 7.1 but having 5.1 initially. I have been very satisfied with my DT setup. Good luck!
post #1093 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

The two (Def Techs & Pioneer SC Series AVRs) are harmonically synergistically meant to be together.

What does that mean? What are the characteristics of an amplifier that would make it this way? (I'm genuinely curious, I'm not interested in starting a flame war with anyone.)
post #1094 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I completely agree with this statement. There is a level of magic that happens between the 2. I think it's the way to go.
post #1095 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post

What does that mean? What are the characteristics of an amplifier that would make it this way? (I'm genuinely curious, I'm not interested in starting a flame war with anyone.)

Often certain speakers will sound better or worse depending on the type of amplifier they are paired with.

Perpendicular's post is a fancy way of saying that he feels the Pioneer IceAmps are a great match for the Definitive Technology Mythos speakers.

I would tend to agree. The combination is fantastic.

Jeff Sprowls
AXXIS AUDIO
AVS FORUM SPONSOR
post #1096 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've auditioned the Pioneer ICE amps with the Mythos--very impressive.

My old Pioneer Elite receiver (MOSFET) also sounds wonderful with the Mythos, given it's broad, warm sound.

However, my current Yamaha-Z7 sounds dynamic, full, rapid, and clear with the Mythos as well, without being edgy.

I ended up choosing the Z7 over the SC-07, but it was a really, really tough call--could have gone either way.
post #1097 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

I completely agree with this statement. There is a level of magic that happens between the 2. I think it's the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxis Audio Jeff View Post

Often certain speakers will sound better or worse depending on the type of amplifier they are paired with.

Perpendicular's post is a fancy way of saying that he feels the Pioneer IceAmps are a great match for the Definitive Technology Mythos speakers.

I would tend to agree. The combination is fantastic.

+1 (What he said!)

Quote:

My old Pioneer Elite receiver (MOSFET) also sounds wonderful with the Mythos, given it's broad, warm sound.

However, my current Yamaha-Z7 sounds dynamic, full, rapid, and clear with the Mythos as well, without being edgy.

I ended up choosing the Z7 over the SC-07, but it was a really, really tough call--could have gone either way.

Though, for my money, I would have chosen the SC-09

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1098 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's a personal call here. Yamaha has been making fantastic receivers for years. I felt the last offerings have been a little shy of there past years greatness. I have not checked out or Installed there lastest models from Nov 08 to now.
I have heard many good things about the z7. If you like the way your system sounds , thats all that matters.
post #1099 of 5560 Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1 (What he said!)

Though, for my money, I would have chosen the SC-09

Point well taken, Perpendicular....

(Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of my "my money" to equal your "my money" to spring for the 09!)
post #1100 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Well, I bought the Onkyo TX-NR807 last night and just finished hooking it up with my Mythos 1's and Mythos 8. I think just this set-up by itself sounds fanntastic. This being my first HT system, I am sure I am not utilizing all of the functionality inherent within the system. I have alot of learning to do, but thanks everyone for their feedback.

For surrounds, it may be Gem XLs or 2 more Mythos 8's, but I'm undecided. My next goal is to buy a subwoofer, but still not sure what direction to go here yet. I will take a few pictures of my set up as it stands today.
post #1101 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM

I just purchased Mythos Ones and Eight for my LCR, Fours for the surrounds, HSU VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer, and Pioneer Elite SC-27 Receiver. Going to Best Buy today to buy Panny P58V10 Plasma. All I need now is a good set of surround backs to complete my system. Any suggestions? I would like something that is either stand or wall mounted and will match with the Fours. I like the Gem XL's but the silver is discontinued and sold out.
post #1102 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got a great deal on a Mythos 8 from the 6th Ave name your price promotion to go with my One's (have a CLR 2002 now).
post #1103 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
Can a one be laid on its side for a center?
post #1104 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

If you mean the 8 that's what I was planning.
post #1105 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

why not just use a 8?
post #1106 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 PM

I saw someone mentioned for 5.1 the gems should be at 30 degrees. Can you please let me know to 30 degrees of what?
When you go to the THX website it shows the rears to the side and pointed across from each other.

Mine are currently facing forward towards the TV with a little toe in.
Should I have them facing each other across the top of the couch?

I know there is a preference and room dynamics and other things that come into play, but is the one 'better' then other?

I will try to take some pics tomorrow.

post #1107 of 5560 Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

why not just use a 8?

Cause silver one's are cheaper right now.
post #1108 of 5560 Old 09-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cause silver one's are cheaper right now.

Gotcha. The Tweeter is not in the center of the speaker so it might not work on it's side. The speaker is designed to stand up. I still gotta say get an 8. Spend the money and have the right thing. It's a good idea but I don't see it working out for yeah. Saving a little money isn't worth it if it doesn't work as good or better.

Good luck there man.
post #1109 of 5560 Old 09-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw someone mentioned for 5.1 the gems should be at 30 degrees. Can you please let me know to 30 degrees of what?
When you go to the THX website it shows the rears to the side and pointed across from each other.

Mine are currently facing forward towards the TV with a little toe in.
Should I have them facing each other across the top of the couch?

I know there is a preference and room dynamics and other things that come into play, but is the one 'better' then other?

I will try to take some pics tomorrow.

Ideal they should be on the side of the listening position about 6 feet up or 3 feet above ear height. Having them face one another I never found that to be a problem. Actually I have found it to sound the best. The Gem's fire slightly back and forth with there angled drivers.
post #1110 of 5560 Old 09-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Here are some pics. So the gems are a little toed in. I had them facing more to the TV before I read about the 30 degree in and then I looked at the THX cross firing setup.

The ST's are on a truck and should be here late next week. So they will take the place of my old old nice DB+ 1212 speakers. These speakers could jam with two 12's in each of them

Any more thoughts on the gem positioning?
LL
LL
LL
LL

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page