post #91 of 5568 Old 01-24-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathik View Post

I just ordered a set of GLS Audio Black Chrome banana plugs. Now I'm wondering if they will fit with the speakers mounted on the wall. Has anyone tried this yet?

Hi, Boathik:

Bad news--I am working on trying to wall mount some Mythos speakers. While there is plenty of space horizontally for plugs, the shallow depth of the bracket is problematic.

I have noted that banana plugs with large non-flexible bodies won't allow the use of the included bracket because they extend too far out from the speaker when plugged in.

The only way I can see this working is if a space is left in the wall behind where the plugs go to allow clearance for the banana plug bodies.

Has anyone else wall mounted using the shallow mythos bracket? If so, are you using bare wire or have you found plugs that work? What about spades?

Thanks!

(Correction: It turns out there is a way you can use banana plugs and make everything look nice....See Post #97 and Post #114 (for pictures))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5568 Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I answered your PM mvp..............I had to just bare wire the speaker connections that are mounted on the wall. It was a very tight fit for me also because I went with some of BJC's 10 gauge wiring for the whole house. Since I couldn't use all the banana plugs as I originally intended, I just utilized the extras for making some nice jumpers for the front L&R Mythos Ones and making some nice cables for a new office listening environment (Emotiva and Usher Be-718's):

Very tight fit precluded using locking banana plugs:

Jumpers for front speakers:

Extras I used to make a custom set of wires for Bi-wiring my office speakers (Ushers):

post #93 of 5568 Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Power ratings from speaker manufacturers don't mean much. I'm sure the Denon will be more than adequate. I have power meters, and my Mythos 3 (rated 10-200w) rarely draws as much as 2w on peaks. The 5 and 6 are supposed to be slightly less efficient, so you might draw 3-5w. Even if you play twice as loud as I do, that would be only 30 to 50w.

To get an idea of how amp power translates into dB, you can use this conversion chart. Enter the amp power into the lower box and it will show how many dBs it will produce. Add that figure to the speaker's sensitivity (89dB in the case of the 5's and 6's), and you'll get an idea how loud it will get (e.g. ~108dB with the combinations you are considering). Various factors such as room configuration, listening distance, number of channels playing, etc. affect the exact output, but this is close enough.

To translate that into everyday experience, you can use this dB chart.

Thanks, that's a lot of helpful info. But being as I am, I changed my mind again and decided to go with the Klipsch Quintet SL for an all-in-one deal (5.0).
post #94 of 5568 Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 PM

Any good online places to buy Mythos? Any deals?
post #95 of 5568 Old 01-25-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Glad to see we started up one of these

My system consists of
ST for FL and FR
M10 for center
Gem XL for surrounds
Supercube Reference for sub
Denon 3808 as receiver

I love the system, sound is incredible and clear, and the supercube reference really shakes the house (not room, HOUSE). I've turned these up quite a bit and there is no stress at all, they just get better.

My only issue is the ****** grills, while watching Rambo 4 (last 10 minutes) my ST broke off the grill. For the most part it stays on; but when you turn it up, you can see the grill coming off because the little platic pieces broke off. OUt of the 10 plastic connectors, 2 are completely gone and 2 broke off half way.

I have to send Chet an e-mail, I'm sure they'll take care of me. I just hope they don't give me problems because I don't have mt receipt anymore, but I'm sure they know from the serial # that I bought it from Best Buy
post #96 of 5568 Old 01-25-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathik View Post

I just ordered a set of GLS Audio Black Chrome banana plugs. Now I'm wondering if they will fit with the speakers mounted on the wall. Has anyone tried this yet?

Boathik,

Banana plugs will not work with a wall mounted setup. I know for sure with the GemXLs it won't and from looking at my M10 I don't see how it is possible.

They lay flat against the wall, you can not see at all behind them and there is only enough room to fit wire in the recessed speaker wire hole.
post #97 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Boathik,

Banana plugs will not work with a wall mounted setup. I know for sure with the GemXLs it won't and from looking at my M10 I don't see how it is possible.

They lay flat against the wall, you can not see at all behind them and there is only enough room to fit wire in the recessed speaker wire hole.

Hi, Larry and Boathik:

Apparently, I spoke too soon earlier Re: Bananas and wall mounts.

I had my Mythos 8's installed on the wall today and I was going to go bare wire. However, my installer noted that the when the speaker is on the wall bracket, the binding posts are not covered up at all--in fact, there is just enough room to put a standard single-gang wallplate sized hole there, which will be completely covered by the speaker when it's on the wall.

So, he cut the hole, installed a plastic grommet in the hole, brought the wire through with bananas, plugged it in the speaker and slid the speaker on the wall. Viola! Mythos wall mount with bananas.

Of course, there is a price to pay for everything--in this case, there is the hidden hole in the wall , but it's nice to have no extra connections, and no visible wall plates.

Caveat: this works with the Mythos 8's--not sure if it would work with the 2's and 3's, but I bet it might work with the larger Mythos wall mounted speakers.'

(Addendum: Please see Post #114 for pictures)
post #98 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Question: Could the brackets be mounted onto 2 (or 3) small blocks of wood that would hold the speaker out from the wall an inch or so? That might be another approach if you don't have the wires in wall.
post #99 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to see we started up one of these

My system consists of
ST for FL and FR
M10 for center
Gem XL for surrounds
Supercube Reference for sub
Denon 3808 as receiver

Sweet system, Larry!

Quote:

My only issue is the ****** grills, while watching Rambo 4 (last 10 minutes) my ST broke off the grill. For the most part it stays on; but when you turn it up, you can see the grill coming off because the little platic pieces broke off. Out of the 10 plastic connectors, 2 are completely gone and 2 broke off half way.

Wow! That's impressive bass! (but I feel your pain )

When you contact Chet, can you please ask him if he's ever seen this before? I'd be curious if it's just a sample defect in that particular grille or something that happens to others.

On a somewhat related note--did anyone install the "Definitive" badges on their surrounds and centers? I know it's silly, but I'm a little loathe to punch holes in those nice new grilles
post #100 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Hello All,

I posted this in the general speaker forum but haven't gotten any response so I thought I'd post here too. I'm looking to upgrade from a very poor system that I've had for many years.

I have a Denon 1908 and listen mostly to movies/TV. Unfortunately due to my living room size of 10ft x 10ft, I've (i.e. wife) decided that on-wall speakers would be the best aesthetically. We have such a big TV right now that more than anything we're concerned with being swallowed up by a ton of equipment and feel on-wall speakers would help give us a little bit more space.

Anyway, my budget for a whole new 5.1 system in a perfect world would be $1500. I've narrowed it down to the DefTech Mythos Six for L/R, a Seven for Center, and the Gems for surrounds (with out sub all for $1500) vs. the Klipsch Synergy quintet SL (with sub $1100).

I have listened to both and my feeling is that the Klipsch had a very good sound at first impression. I quite liked the crisp highs and I loved the deep lows. However, I felt that it had absolutely no middle range and am worried that in my small room the highs will be too overwhelming. The Mythos on the other hand, had a great all-around sound and although they weren't as crisp in the upper registers, I heard quite a bit more detail. I just loved the range in them, not nearly as stark as the Klipsch.

Now I know this thread is obviously heavily biased towards the Mythos but I just wanted to see if there was anyone else in my boat before they made their respective choices. I like aspects of both, I just want to make sure that the cheaper price tag of the Klipsch is not influencing my decision. Also, since I really liked the Klipsch sub-12, would it be terrible to combine this sub with the Mythos? I found the DefTech subs to be lacking impact and going with the Mythos would limit my sub budget. It seemed like the Klipsch sub had more bang for the buck (pun kind of intended).

Thanks to all in advance.
post #101 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Do you have any pics of the way the set it up?
post #102 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Sweet system, Larry!

Thanks, it really is amazing!

Quote:

Wow! That's impressive bass! (but I feel your pain )

When you contact Chet, can you please ask him if he's ever seen this before? I'd be curious if it's just a sample defect in that particular grille or something that happens to others.

On a somewhat related note--did anyone install the "Definitive" badges on their surrounds and centers? I know it's silly, but I'm a little loathe to punch holes in those nice new grilles

I will ask about it being a common problem, but I believe I read quite a while ago that this is a common issue so I wasn't shocked when I saw the grills "bowing" in one section.

Also I did install the badge on the M10, it doesn't punch a hole in the grill. I was worried about that too but I tried it and removed the badge to see if it left a mark and it didn't. I put it back on and it looks good. Its possible it is striched now, but I am keeping the badges
post #103 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...did anyone install the "Definitive" badges on their surrounds and centers? I know it's silly, but I'm a little loathe to punch holes in those nice new grilles

Didn't know there was an option. My Three came with the logo installed, as did my STS's. I thought they all came that way. (I made an unconventional choice for my rears, so have only bought those two Mythos models.)
post #104 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 PM

i do remember having to put the definitive logo in my clr2002. i think they make it optional on speakers that can be used horizontally or vertically so you don't have a sideways logo. i know it took a couple of hard taps to get it through. i would recomend using a small nail or pin to push through the fabric so you don't tear it. hope this helps!
post #105 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieman_78 View Post

Also, since I really liked the Klipsch sub-12, would it be terrible to combine this sub with the Mythos? I found the DefTech subs to be lacking impact and going with the Mythos would limit my sub budget. It seemed like the Klipsch sub had more bang for the buck (pun kind of intended).

Hi, Movieman: I can't speak to the Klipsch vs. Mythos question, as I've not heard those particular Klipsch's; however, I suspect that mixing subs from a different manufacturer with the Mythos shouldn't be a problem, as long as the +/- 3db frequency responses overlap enough so you don't have a large gap/dropoff between them and you choose your crossover wisely. Good luck!
post #106 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piodef View Post

i would recomend using a small nail or pin to push through the fabric so you don't tear it. hope this helps!

I will say this about the grille fabric--it sure is easy to snag on.

I was measuring distance from a bench and the smooth edge of the tape measure end piece barely brushed against the fabric and raised a snag.

One anxious x-acto knife surgery under a maginifier later, the patient survived!
post #107 of 5568 Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Thank you very much, mvp2005fan, greatly appreciated.
post #108 of 5568 Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As an FYI: Def Tech has a new Mythos Nine page.

Looks like a great match for the STS.
post #109 of 5568 Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

I notice that the aluminum version Mythos line are still marked down. It's making me consider an upgrade to my planned Gems and Seven setup. But I was really thinking about the black models. Is the grill on the silver model as black as the black model, or is it more of a charcoal?

But now I can't decide on what to get...

Front Sixes and a Center Seven or
Front GemXLs and a Center Three, or
Front Twos and a Center Three?
I'll still use regular Gems as rears and a SupercubeIII.

The marked down twos and three system would actually be slightly cheaper than my original Gems and Seven in black (retail). But I was never sure I would want the tall front speakers. I like the size of the GemXLs. Will the Twos sound much better than GemXLs?

I find it interesting that the DefTech website lists suggested crossover settings for the Two at 100hz and for the GemXL at 80hz. Does this have something to do with the intended use of the GemXL as a surrounds speaker?

Has anyone with a pair of Two's actually run an Audessey set-up using these as fronts with a sub? I'm very curiuos as to what crossover settings it showed.
post #110 of 5568 Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As an FYI: Def Tech has a new Mythos Nine page.

Looks like a great match for the STS.

Indeed.

Wonder if they will have a trade in program for my two month old Three?
post #111 of 5568 Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Indeed.

Wonder if they will have a trade in program for my two month old Three?

Or my 17 day old Three!
post #112 of 5568 Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The STS continues to rack up accolades, including an unprecedented two Innovations awards at CES.
post #113 of 5568 Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleb View Post

Or my 17 day old Three!

Assuming your dealer has the typical 30 day return policy, you might be able to upgrade if you like.

Seriously, while I really would have liked a Nine, I must say my Three does blend beautifully with my STS's. It would be hard to imagine that the Nine would make enough of an improvement to merit spending twice as much as I did on my Three (I got a better deal than I'd likely get on a new model).

Anyway, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself!
post #114 of 5568 Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Do you have any pics of the way the set it up?

Hi, Larry:
Here are some pics of what the setup looks like to wall mount the Mythos 8 while still using banana plugs:

The installer planned it well--one side of the bracket screws into the stud. This leaves room for the hole (which just fits to the left of the stud). In addition, the height of the hole gives just enough clearance (with the banana plugs in the speaker) so that you can lift the speaker up exactly the 1.5 inches necessary to get the mounting screws into the slots in the bracket. Then, the speaker slides down, covers everything, and sits tight against the wall.

I'm not sure if the dimensions of the other Mythos speakers work out this well, but it worked exactly in this particular application. Whew!
LL
LL
LL
post #115 of 5568 Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Hello All,

I posted this in the general speaker forum but haven't gotten any response so I thought I'd post here too. I'm looking to upgrade from a very poor system that I've had for many years.

I have a Denon 1908 and listen mostly to movies/TV. Unfortunately due to my living room size of 10ft x 10ft, I've (i.e. wife) decided that on-wall speakers would be the best aesthetically. We have such a big TV right now that more than anything we're concerned with being swallowed up by a ton of equipment and feel on-wall speakers would help give us a little bit more space.

Anyway, my budget for a whole new 5.1 system in a perfect world would be $1500. I've narrowed it down to the DefTech Mythos Six for L/R, a Seven for Center, and the Gems for surrounds (with out sub all for $1500) vs. the Klipsch Synergy quintet SL (with sub $1100).

I have listened to both and my feeling is that the Klipsch had a very good sound at first impression. I quite liked the crisp highs and I loved the deep lows. However, I felt that it had absolutely no middle range and am worried that in my small room the highs will be too overwhelming. The Mythos on the other hand, had a great all-around sound and although they weren't as crisp in the upper registers, I heard quite a bit more detail. I just loved the range in them, not nearly as stark as the Klipsch.

Now I know this thread is obviously heavily biased towards the Mythos but I just wanted to see if there was anyone else in my boat before they made their respective choices. I like aspects of both, I just want to make sure that the cheaper price tag of the Klipsch is not influencing my decision. Also, since I really liked the Klipsch sub-12, would it be terrible to combine this sub with the Mythos? I found the DefTech subs to be lacking impact and going with the Mythos would limit my sub budget. It seemed like the Klipsch sub had more bang for the buck (pun kind of intended).

Thanks to all in advance.

I can help you out here a little bit. I've heard the Klipsch Quintet SL and yes their highs are crisp because they use a horn-loaded tweeter. I personally get annoyed by the highs after listening to them for 30 minutes. It kind makes them sound like Bose, as their highs are too freaking high!

Def Tech has a more neutral sound where it doesn't emphasize the highs or mids or lows, kind of like Polk. Also the SL sounded wimpy to me after a while. I've been visiting the BestBuy next to my workplace for the past 5-6 months listening to everything . I haven't heard the Mythos but if they have a 4" or larger woofer then you should get good midrange sound with them.

Now for the subwoofer, I think you should audition some other brands that are known for their subwoofers. You can also listen to really expensive subs and listen to how they sound. The Klipsch SUB-10 and SUB-12 have a WOOSH sound to everything. Other subwoofers don't have that so you should compare the subs to the expensive ones. Go down to your high-end audio store and ask them to listen to some good subs.
post #116 of 5568 Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...my feeling is that the Klipsch had a very good sound at first impression. I quite liked the crisp highs and I loved the deep lows. However, I felt that it had absolutely no middle range and am worried that in my small room the highs will be too overwhelming. The Mythos on the other hand, had a great all-around sound and although they weren't as crisp in the upper registers, I heard quite a bit more detail. I just loved the range in them, not nearly as stark as the Klipsch.

... I found the DefTech subs to be lacking impact and going with the Mythos would limit my sub budget. It seemed like the Klipsch sub had more bang for the buck (pun kind of intended)...

Many speakers are impressive in the showroom, but become fatiguing in long term listening. The Mythos give a balanced response that doesn't overly emphasize any part of the sound spectrum, and thus are satisfying to live with over long periods.

Similarly, some subs impress by emphasizing mid-bass frequencies, but begin to sound "boomy" with extended listening. As surma884 said, listen to some high quality subs in a good listening environment. You may not be able to afford them, but you will get an idea what to listen for. You may find they "lack impact" initially, but provide accurate, extended bass that is more satisfying in the long run.

The Klipsch Sub-12 certainly has its fans, but there is a lot of competition in that price range. DefTech makes fine subs, but the "best bang for the buck" in subs tend to be from ID sellers, and there are some excellent options available from the likes of SVS, Hsu, Outlaw Audio, AV123 among others. (Check out the sale on Outlaw's well regarded LFM-1 Compact, which seems like a great fit for your situation, both in size and price.)

In any case, to answer your basic question, you can use any good quality sub with the Mythos.
post #117 of 5568 Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your opinions. I went back to listen to the Klipsch's yesterday and then the Mythos today and for some reason it was a lot more evident the difference in quality between the two (as compared to my feelings last week). I'm starting to feel that the Mythos are night and day better sounding to my ears then the Klipsch and they are certainly worth the extra money. Just fantastic sounding.

I had them demo my ideal setup with an REL sub (which is out of my price range for the time being but like you guys suggested, at least I know what a real sub sounds like) and overall it was quite nice.

So I'm thinking of going with the Mythos Twos for L/R, Three for Center, and the Gems for the rears. Since I'm spending a little more than I had wanted, I'm just gonna stick with my current sub for now until I can rationalize spending another chunk of money on a good sub.

Anyway, thank you to all for your help.
post #118 of 5568 Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

post #119 of 5568 Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM

nice set up larry!
post #120 of 5568 Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piodef View Post

nice set up larry!

Thanks

Right now its all in my bedroom, once my fiance and I find a place I plan on putting everything in a basement with carpetting, seating, and 7 of the whole 9 yards

Eventually I'd like to get a Sony/JVC projector with 100"+ screen :drool:
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page