post #1171 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Damn they are just giving away these speakers in silver huh. Makes me want to build another system. The silver is very nice. The ones by themselves retial for 2k. God everyone is getting such good deals. Nice going. Nice system. The SC-07 sounds amazing with the ones. get a Supercube reference since you saved so much money on the speakers and don't look back.

I pretty much agree with your suggestion, but I need to find a store that carries it in Southern California. I don't want to get this mail order. That might be a constraint that causes me to look at other brands, or maybe even the Supercube I.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

For folks with ST's or STS's and you have to plug in your speakers, do you just plug into the wall or are you using some sort of 'small' surge protection?

I just got my ST's and plugged them in the wall and just kinda felt like they are vulnerable, but I also don't want or can put a surge protector.

Thoughts?

I use an older model of these for my STS
http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/M2.aspx
post #1173 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwig60 View Post

veekay how you get free shipping, i don't see free shipping on 6th ave website

Mark F and veekay how you like your mythos ones

I got them hooked up yesterday (still have to take pictures) and was very happy with them before any break-in. I played with them in 2ch stereo without the subwoofer and they play surprisingly low. Not low enough on their own but I would say if someone wanted to start building a system and couldn't afford a sub yet that the M1's are an excellent start. I think they sound awesome for thousand dollar speakers but given the fact I paid 379 delivered makes them sound even better.
post #1174 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 06:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The ST's have Class D amps , they don't pull a lot of juice like a Class A B would and waste it. You can use a Surge protector but you wanna use a good one. I suggest looking into Pananmax. They have been in the business and doing a excellent job for many years. I trust them with my gear with no performance loss. If anything my system runs it's best with it inline. I plug both my ST's into my M5500ex. It was top of the line a few fews ago. Today you want to check out the M5400pm.

I have the same Panamax as you, I just don't have my ST's setup that I can plug them into it. I can really only use the wall jacks. Maybe I will buy a small surge protector like I have for my fridge. Small and not too conspicuous.

post #1175 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:

The ST's have Class D amps , they don't pull a lot of juice like a Class A B would and waste it. You can use a Surge protector but you wanna use a good one. I suggest looking into Pananmax. They have been in the business and doing a excellent job for many years. I trust them with my gear with no performance loss. If anything my system runs it's best with it inline. I plug both my ST's into my M5500ex. It was top of the line a few fews ago. Today you want to check out the M5400pm.

Completely agree on the Panamax, I have my AVR, ST's, PS3, and Plasma all plugged into mine. It is nice to power everything up and down with one button while also eliminating the extra energy draw for items in standby. I am glad you are loving the ST's cd, as Mantis will also tell you, the more they break in the more they warm up.
post #1176 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the same Panamax as you, I just don't have my ST's setup that I can plug them into it. I can really only use the wall jacks. Maybe I will buy a small surge protector like I have for my fridge. Small and not too conspicuous.

Now you can. I use this in the field all the time and it's great. I use it for subs , ST's STS's, BP series , Plasmas , Projectors etc. This gives you a inwall cl3 rated extention cord. It's an excellent product. Now you can get your ST's plugged into Surge protection. Forget about those onwall jobs that look terrible.
http://www.midlite.com/products.aspx?catId=772
post #1177 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Now you can. I use this in the field all the time and it's great. I use it for subs , ST's STS's, BP series , Plasmas , Projectors etc. This gives you a inwall cl3 rated extention cord. It's an excellent product. Now you can get your ST's plugged into Surge protection. Forget about those onwall jobs that look terrible.
http://www.midlite.com/products.aspx?catId=772

What are these midlite boxes? How do you use them? I just can't make the power cables reach and I have stuff more then I can under the base boards to these speakers with my AudioQuest cables. And from the AVR to the right I have the speaker cables, the rear cables, and the sub cable. So NO room for a thick black power cord.

post #1178 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are these midlite boxes? How do you use them? I just can't make the power cables reach and I have stuff more then I can under the base boards to these speakers with my AudioQuest cables. And from the AVR to the right I have the speaker cables, the rear cables, and the sub cable. So NO room for a thick black power cord.

No silly the Midlite is designed to go inside the wall. You cut out a plate and inside the wall you connect them with romex. This is a in wall extension cord which is cl3 rated.
post #1179 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 PM

I want to make a 7.1 channel home theater, room 12' X 32'.
Configuration: Front - Mythos One, Center - Mythos Eight, rear - Mythos Gem
XL, on the sides - DefTech BP2X, subwoofer Velodyne SPL-1200R. Onkyo Receiver
TX-NR807, the ratio of music / movie 50:50. Are there any comments and
suggestions?
post #1180 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:

+1 on the Panamax 5400pm
post #1181 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Something just occurred to me, but are the Mythos able to be driven at 4ohms? I downloaded a copy of the manual and it does mention 4-8ohm, but will there be any benefit from doing so? I was never able to use the 4 ohm setting before since only my fronts were able to handle it.
post #1182 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-chan View Post

suggestions?

Sounds like a great setup...go for it!
post #1183 of 5559 Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM

If anyone wants to take advantage of the incredible prices for the silver mythos, buy them now because they are starting to run out. Amazon, Onecall, Vanns, 6ave, etc. have limited supplies and once they are out of the silver mythos, they are out for good.
post #1184 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 AM

I pulled the trigger on the Mythos STS and Mythos 9 in silver to replace the Paradigm Studio V20 that I have been using for a while. I was very happy to see it arrived. What a big difference these speakers make!

After A/B testing the Paradigms & the STS for a while, I found the highs of these speakers to to equally detailed & articulate. The STS is noticeably less forward than the V20. The stage was much wider and more accurate with the STS. The STS powered sub + bass radiator packed quite a bit of punch which almost matched the V20 paired with a HSU VTF-3.

The STS was flat till about 60hz in my room and @-3db at 40hz. Luckily I still plan to keep my HSU VTF-3 which could handle up till 60hz relatively well. After playing around with different volume settings a bit more, I finally settled with STS as large and cross them @ 60hz, as planned.

Having the Mythos 9 as center made a huge difference. I was relying on the Paradigm pairs to do the job because the matching center was too big the fit in my TV stand. The Mythos 9, was much more compact in size, but not in sound! They match the STS perfectly.

Now I have the Paradigm setup as surround. I couldn't tell yet if I care about it as I don't seem to be able to tell the difference between that and the low end Kenwoods I used to have. Seems to work fine so far.
post #1185 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I pretty much agree with your suggestion, but I need to find a store that carries it in Southern California. I don't want to get this mail order. That might be a constraint that causes me to look at other brands, or maybe even the Supercube I.

All of the Supercubes are fantastic subs. Even the little III is badass. I installed one in a pretty large room with a surroundbar(customer didn't want a full surround ) and we both sat there and laughed in joy on the performance of the tiny III. It rocked the room and was quick and smooth with music. Can't really ask anymore out of a tiny sub.

The Cube I is almost as good as the reference. So if you have to go that route you wile be fine. Actually better then fine.

Good luck.
post #1186 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

suggestions?

Use the Gems as your sides , the BP2x are designed to work with the BP series. You can mix and match as we do it when it's necessary and it works out well .

The only thing I would change is the receiver. I like Onkyo receivers if the system is only going to be used for theater and not much music at all. I prefer the sound of the Pioneer Elite ICE amp receivers as they make magic with the Mythos line. It's like a perfect match. Nothing wrong with the Onkyo ,this is just a personal opinion.
post #1187 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA View Post

If anyone wants to take advantage of the incredible prices for the silver mythos, buy them now because they are starting to run out. Amazon, Onecall, Vanns, 6ave, etc. have limited supplies and once they are out of the silver mythos, they are out for good.

No one has officially said it but I'm wondering if Def Tech is phasing out the Silver. It would explain the price drop. I have not heard has anyone else?
post #1188 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

Something just occurred to me, but are the Mythos able to be driven at 4ohms? I downloaded a copy of the manual and it does mention 4-8ohm, but will there be any benefit from doing so? I was never able to use the 4 ohm setting before since only my fronts were able to handle it.

It doesn't work like that. The ohm load is determined by the speaker itself. It's the amount of resistance it puts on the receivers amp. You don't decide on which load the speakers is going to show the amp. Leave the switch in 8 ohms.
post #1189 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraudiofan21 View Post

I pulled the trigger on the Mythos STS and Mythos 9 in silver to replace the Paradigm Studio V20 that I have been using for a while. I was very happy to see it arrived. What a big difference these speakers make!

After A/B testing the Paradigms & the STS for a while, I found the highs of these speakers to to equally detailed & articulate. The STS is noticeably less forward than the V20. The stage was much wider and more accurate with the STS. The STS powered sub + bass radiator packed quite a bit of punch which almost matched the V20 paired with a HSU VTF-3.

The STS was flat till about 60hz in my room and @-3db at 40hz. Luckily I still plan to keep my HSU VTF-3 which could handle up till 60hz relatively well. After playing around with different volume settings a bit more, I finally settled with STS as large and cross them @ 60hz, as planned.

Having the Mythos 9 as center made a huge difference. I was relying on the Paradigm pairs to do the job because the matching center was too big the fit in my TV stand. The Mythos 9, was much more compact in size, but not in sound! They match the STS perfectly.

Now I have the Paradigm setup as surround. I couldn't tell yet if I care about it as I don't seem to be able to tell the difference between that and the low end Kenwoods I used to have. Seems to work fine so far.

Congrads on the new speakers. I like Def Tech over Paradigm every day of the week. The V20's you mean Studio 20's Version something right? They however are great speakers. They tend to bloat the bottom end a bit which I feel they try to reproduce to much bass. If you cross them over at 80hz , the bloating goes away and they sound incredible. The brand new Studio 20's with the new "B&W like" cabinet are the best I have ever heard from Paradigm Studio series. I almost like them enough to buy them. Extremely nice speakers. I like there built quality over Def Tech.

As far as your crossover point and "large " setting, you are misunderstood. The "Large" setting tells the preamp or receiver to send full range signal to the speakers in "Large". The crossover point makes no difference. If you want to cross them at 60hz , you have to put them in "small". I think you are wasting the abilities of the STS at a 60hz crossover point. If your preamp/receiver can set the fronts or mains as "small" and use a "40hz" crossover point , I believe this would yield the best performance.
What are you using to power them? Receiver? Separates?

In a home theater setting, the rears should match the fronts. Certain movies you will notice that they do not match sonically. If they are just playing rain or background noise it's less critical. If you have the room for 9's in the rear on wall, this would be a amazing setup. I suggest them if you listen to multichannel music like SACD or DVD AUDIO. It's amazing to have the same center and rears. I use all 10's for this duty.

Good luck with your system.
post #1190 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 AM

Thank you! that can offer on the sides?
post #1191 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

suggestions?

If you prefer to stay 100% bipolar in the back/sides, the only change I would suggest is going with the Gem XL's as side surrounds as well as the rear to reduce the variability in the rear/side surround field. If the sides mandate in-ceiling or in-wall installation, I have found that the Def Tech UIW RSS II's work very well.

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...tid=UIW RSS II (if you are planning to go with these in-ceiling, be sure to download the manual to make sure your ceiling joist placement will accomodate these--you need joists to screw into because these speakers are rather robust. This will influence the exact orientation of the speaker once installed).

If you prefer more directional rear effects, you could go 8's in the rear with either the Gem XL's or the UIW RSS II's on the sides (this is what I did)--just depends what you prefer. The THX and Dolby websites can give you some ideas Re: the advantages/disadvantages of the various permutations.

In terms of the sub, as long as you avoid the budget bandpass boxes, the exact brand is not terribly critical (in terms of blending with the Mythos) as long as it's frequency response melds well with that of the Mythos--with your setup, you may wish to plan a crossover around the 80 Mhz range. Select a sub that fits this profile and has enough output to satisfy you and your room and you should be fine.

I am not conversant with the Onkyo you mention, so I'll leave that to others. When I was looking, the two I was torn between were the Pioneer SC-07 and the Yamaha Z7, with the Yamaha finally winning out by a razor thin margin.
post #1192 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would agree with this (although they all claimed they were "running out" back in November 2008 when I bought my setup).

If you want the most up to date availability information, Def Tech customer service was very responsive when I inquired back then to make sure they had speakers in their pipeline to cover my order even when the internet retailer did not know for sure.

Also, as of December 2008, I was told by Def Tech that while some of the silver models were being discontinued, others were not--I do not know if that has changed.

Personally, I'd be sad to see the silver go--it was one of the things that set the Mythos line apart when it first came out.
post #1193 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Supposedly I bought 4 of the last 5 Mythos Ones that Amazon had on Friday, but a quick peak there 5 minutes ago revealed they still had 4. I think when the stock runs below a certain level they post whatever they feel like when it comes to inventory to try to get people to rush in their order, like I did. Also, even though the web page indicates that Amazon is the store that is selling them, they are actually being handled by Onecall.
post #1194 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Can I use Mythos one as surround speakers? I ordered two mythos 1 (silver) ones for front left and right. I was wondering if I should make use of the incredible price and get 2 more for surrounds since at the present price they don't work out much more expensive than Gem XLs. Or is using such big speakers as surround speakers a bad idea.

TIA
-s
post #1195 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil View Post

Can I use Mythos one as surround speakers? I ordered two mythos 1 (silver) ones for front left and right. I was wondering if I should make use of the incredible price and get 2 more for surrounds since at the present price they don't work out much more expensive than Gem XLs. Or is using such big speakers as surround speakers a bad idea.

TIA
-s

You sure can, but you have to make sure you like direct radiators as surround speakers. There are advantages and disadvantages to directs vs. bipolars (i.e. you are trading a more immersive soundfield with the bipolars for more directionally localizable effects with the directs--if you listen to mostly music, you may prefer the directs all around). Also, the ones are not primarily meant for wall mounting, which limits their use as surrounds for some folks, but may work for you if you have the floor space.
post #1196 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Troll

Liked: 44
think i picked up the last 2 mythos ones from 6ave, great price! picked up a ssa-42 from amazon too, hope it does well. 6ave packed my packages super well from the looks of it! looks like a extra box was taped on the outsides they are definitely running low on stock. if only i can find some gems/gem xls in silver for cheap, then that would be perfect.
post #1197 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Sunil,

Before I pulled the trigger on getting Ones for the surround channels, I emailed Chet at DefTech and asked about recommendations for stands for the Gem XL He told me that DefTech doesn't manufacture them, although the Gem stand will work (and attached pics of that). However, they wouldn't be stable enough to pass the government's tip test.

I eliminated the hassle altogether of trying to find stands for the Gem XL by purchasing the floorstanding Ones for less than it would have been for the Gem XL + stand.
post #1198 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM

I was planning to hold off on 7.1, but now that I've got 4 M1s & an M8 on the way, I've got the urge to complete my system right now.

My choices are either M1s, M5s or GemXLs for the rear speakers, but I'm not sure how well towers would work with a couch in the way. I could certainly raise them a few inches of the ground and have them to the sides of my couch so that they are not directly behind it, but this would put them only 2.5 feet infront of my surrounds. Anyone have advice or experience with using towers in the rear of a 7.1 setup?

I also don't plan on getting a sub for some time so would prefer towers over the Gems. Would the M5s be more than enough or should I go with the M1s (although I'm getting sick of spending money)?
post #1199 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

think i picked up the last 2 mythos ones from 6ave...

What makes you think that?
post #1200 of 5559 Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I pulled the trigger on two more one's for the surrounds (and a eight for center). I guess it was too good of a deal to pass up. One's might not be ideal for surrounds, but it is a big step up for me from HTIB. I also found this sort of informative article on direct radiators vs dipoles for surround speakers. http://www.hometheatersound.com/feat...c_20020601.htm
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page