Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

but I think anyone would be foolish to pay full price for the black when the silver are going for <50% of MSRP.

I'd have to agree. The black aesthetic comes at a huge price premium currently. The silver is honestly subtle and on a wall mount setup there's no way I could justify the extra cost. I'd really recommend convincing the wife to go with silver and stepping up the speakers you get for the same budget. The 8s sound really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxracer182 View Post

Will it work as a center or do I need to get something else for a center?

The 9 is the center to the STS & the 10 to the ST. Three of these will work just fine in a L/R/C setup.
post #1443 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

The 9 is the center to the STS & the 10 to the ST. Three of these will work just fine in a L/R/C setup.

I will have to show her them once I get home. *Crossing my fingers* lol. Thanks again for all of your help everyone.
post #1444 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I will have to show her them once I get home. *Crossing my fingers* lol. Thanks again for all of your help everyone.

You can show her pictures of my setup on page 46 (post #1371)! You can hardly see the silver next to my black tv. Good luck!
post #1445 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Posts removed.
Reminder: This is AVS...MSRP pricing only.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #1446 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM

Sorry. The whisky has been posting, not me.
post #1447 of 5570 Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I would be fine with silver, but the Mrs doesn't like it and she's being cool about getting new speakers anyway so I figure pick my battles, lol.

Here's what my silver Mythos setup looks like with black components
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16818396

I think it blends reasonably well since my stand is silver.
post #1448 of 5570 Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
That's a slick looking system you have. loving the dual cylinder subs

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
post #1449 of 5570 Old 10-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Anyone hear anything from 6th Ave lately?
post #1450 of 5570 Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

Anyone hear anything from 6th Ave lately?

Monday they gave me the same "transferring from retail stores" story and said they couldn't give an ETA but expected it would be "a week or so."
post #1451 of 5570 Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM

My Ones arrived today - each double boxed and by themselves - very secure and flawless aside from one tab being broken on the speaker grille on three of the speakers - same spot too.

I do have to wonder how many people have broken the glass base by over tightening... I have a bad habit of doing that with most things.

Maybe I'm just overly excited since these are the first speakers I have actually been the first owner of and not bought used, but they sure are gorgeous and I can't wait to find how they will be placed and hear them!
post #1452 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 AM

Anyone know how these stack up comparatively to Paradigm Millenia 200s and 300s? I started a Millenia build several months ago with a Millenia 20 for the center channel, and I planned out getting Millenia 200s for the fronts. However, things have changed and once again Paradigm doesn't have any sort of online presence, and I really can't afford paying around $1200+ for the two Millenia 200 towers.

Now, I'm looking into the Mythos One, which seems very similar to the Millenia 300. Should I take the plunge? It'd be a lot cheaper, and it seems that it could work fine with my center (I'm not a purist). I've got two Orb Super Eights from my last build to complement whatever fronts I choose.
post #1453 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

My Ones arrived today - each double boxed and by themselves - very secure and flawless aside from one tab being broken on the speaker grille on three of the speakers - same spot too.

I do have to wonder how many people have broken the glass base by over tightening... I have a bad habit of doing that with most things.

Maybe I'm just overly excited since these are the first speakers I have actually been the first owner of and not bought used, but they sure are gorgeous and I can't wait to find how they will be placed and hear them!

Two of mine also had a tab in the top right corner that broke when I tried to reinsert the speaker grille.
post #1454 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4stM4nSt4nding View Post

Anyone know how these stack up comparatively to Paradigm Millenia 200s and 300s? I started a Millenia build several months ago with a Millenia 20 for the center channel, and I planned out getting Millenia 200s for the fronts. However, things have changed and once again Paradigm doesn't have any sort of online presence, and I really can't afford paying around $1200+ for the two Millenia 200 towers.

Now, I'm looking into the Mythos One, which seems very similar to the Millenia 300. Should I take the plunge? It'd be a lot cheaper, and it seems that it could work fine with my center (I'm not a purist). I've got two Orb Super Eights from my last build to complement whatever fronts I choose.

This is a personal response not fact.
I think the Def Tech's sound better. I like the dynamic range and clarity that Def Tech brings to a theater system. I also like the warm and clear tone of music on them.
The Paradigm Millenia series is pretty nice. They shine in there own right. Paradigm makes great in wall , on wall , in ceiling , Bookshelf speakers and even there subs for the most part are very good but once they go floor standing everything falls apart. Bass gets muddy and sloppy , mid range gets cloudy and the highs stay about the same. I don't get it. I sit and listen to them over and over again and I always walk away with questions.
Def Tech has it's share of speakers that I don't want to own as well like the BP series. Yeah they really shine for theater but music in my opinion sucks.
Comparing these 2 companies I do on a every day basis. We carry both companies and do there full range of products. I like both companies for that they bring to the table but I own Df Tech Mythos series for 1 really good reason , double duty. They have the ability to satisfy me for theater first and foremost and they have a very good replay ability of music 2 channel and multichannel.
Again this is a personal opinion , you may agree or not. It's really your choice what to do with it.
post #1455 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM

rnrn - are you going to contact anyone about them or just accept it? Normally I wouldn't mind, but considering the month wait and the fact I'm not a fan of buying things already "broken" it does bother me. All the tabs were broken on the bottom and I'm guessing might cause some vibration issues.
post #1456 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

This is a personal response not fact.
I think the Def Tech's sound better. I like the dynamic range and clarity that Def Tech brings to a theater system. I also like the warm and clear tone of music on them.
The Paradigm Millenia series is pretty nice. They shine in there own right. Paradigm makes great in wall , on wall , in ceiling , Bookshelf speakers and even there subs for the most part are very good but once they go floor standing everything falls apart. Bass gets muddy and sloppy , mid range gets cloudy and the highs stay about the same. I don't get it. I sit and listen to them over and over again and I always walk away with questions.
Def Tech has it's share of speakers that I don't want to own as well like the BP series. Yeah they really shine for theater but music in my opinion sucks.
Comparing these 2 companies I do on a every day basis. We carry both companies and do there full range of products. I like both companies for that they bring to the table but I own Df Tech Mythos series for 1 really good reason , double duty. They have the ability to satisfy me for theater first and foremost and they have a very good replay ability of music 2 channel and multichannel.
Again this is a personal opinion , you may agree or not. It's really your choice what to do with it.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. Honestly, I can't disagree with you anyway because I've never heard any Def Tech speakers before. I love the sound that comes out of my Millenia 20, so if the sound I get from the Mythos Ones are even better then I'll be a happy camper.

Do you use any subs with your Mythos speakers? How well do they handle <120 Hz on their own?

These speakers are sounding better and better, especially with all of the deals going on right now. I need to demo them somewhere.
post #1457 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

That's a slick looking system you have. loving the dual cylinder subs

Thanks for the kind comments, Sammie. Looking to install a couple of rows of theater seating before we have visitors during the holidays. . .
post #1458 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

rnrn - are you going to contact anyone about them or just accept it? Normally I wouldn't mind, but considering the month wait and the fact I'm not a fan of buying things already "broken" it does bother me. All the tabs were broken on the bottom and I'm guessing might cause some vibration issues.

Quote:

Two of mine also had a tab in the top right corner that broke when I tried to reinsert the speaker grille.

Quote:

I have found that Def Tech customer service is extremely responsive. I had a very minor issue with a grille on my ceiling surrounds, and they shipped a replacement out rather rapidly at their own expense. Therefore, I'd suggest calling Def Tech ASAP for replacement grilles before those parts become truly scarce.

PS: A tip on those glass bases--be sure to use the included washers and just make the screws snug--not tight--especially when it's cold. Otherwise, there is a small chance you could get a nasty surprise when things warm up next summer, depending on how the temperature varies with your placement. There is no need to tighten to a death grip. Also, unless you have thick carpet, I've found there is no need to install the spikes--the blunt legs work just fine in that setting and are pretty stable (even carpet spikes won't help a speaker survive a runaway 2-year-old )
post #1459 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just a suggestion but you may try contacting Def Tech - they have been pretty good about replacing parts free of charge (not sure about grills). Then you don't have to deal with sending back to 6th Ave or other vendors if the silvers are in such short supply.
post #1460 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I have no problem with it...it's a minor inconvenience compared to the ordeal of getting them replaced. You could always contact Definitive Technology about the issue and I've heard they are really good about these things.
post #1461 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just posted some Mythos measured frequency responses from DT (courtesy of jgeorg5) in the first post.

BTW, if you have pictures of your system and it is not listed on the first post, please PM me with the location of the pictures and your components and I'll get it up there. Also, if you have found a particular post in this thread especially useful, please let me know, and I'll put a link up as well. Thanks!
post #1462 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 View Post

mvp2005fan,

I have an SVC pc12-nsd sub. The FLR&C sound the same but it seemed that the M7 did not stand out as much as the others, soundwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 View Post

I followed DefTech recommendation and got 2 M5 LR, M7 C, and 2 Gems for rear. It seemed that the M7 sounded a little weak (?).

I am contemplating upgrading to 7.1 (Pioneer 919 rec). The room is 18x22x9. Should I go with 2 more M5 as Surround LR and also upgrading M7 to an M3?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm sorry to have never gotten back to you on your questions--

I think if you are truly dissastisfied with the way your center (M7 sounds), I think the first thing I would try to is to:

1) aim the center properly at your head at the primary listening position and avoid putting the center in an enclosed space or on a shelf if at all possible. If it is on the shelf, then put it at the very edge of the shelf. Many horizontal centers don't sound very good if they are not aimed properly.

2) be sure to use a SPL meter to balance the sound levels between the speakers, as well as the sub.

Listen to some audio tracks of male voices--this will quickly tell you if your center is up to snuff.

In terms of upgrading to 5's as surrounds. This is fine if your fronts are 5's, but if I were going to upgrade that 7 to a 3, I'd try to go 2's/3's all the way around if I had the cash.

Hope this helps!
post #1463 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM

I might go back and loosen the bolts some - I did use the washers and everything seems fine, but better safe than sorry. I started out with the nubs and will move to the spikes once I figure out the final placement - the carpet in front is a little uneven since it was a garage convert.

Contacted 6ave by email just out of curiosity and had a response in under 30 min and said they can send out replacement grilles, but it might take a little longer to obtain them from the manuf versus me contacting def tech directly.
post #1464 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I might go back and loosen the bolts some - I did use the washers and everything seems fine, but better safe than sorry. I started out with the nubs and will move to the spikes once I figure out the final placement - the carpet in front is a little uneven since it was a garage convert.

Contacted 6ave by email just out of curiosity and had a response in under 30 min and said they can send out replacement grilles, but it might take a little longer to obtain them from the manuf versus me contacting def tech directly.

I will warn you that it may not be a problem with the grill-it may be a problem with the holes in the speaker for the grill tabs, so replacing the grills may not fix the problem. My grills were fine but I was unable to get them into the top right hole which is why I snapped the tab off the grills to get them to fit flush on the speaker.
post #1465 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM

The problem with these was the tabs already being broken inside the speaker. I just found it funny they were all in the same spot. Some seemed a little thinner than others for whatever reason. I rarely take mine off, but sometimes you just want to watch things move..
post #1466 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Liked: 13
Need some advice

I have 4 Mythos Ones for fronts and surrounds and need a new reciever. What size would work and have a budget of twelve hundred. Any advice would help. Been following this thread for a couple of weeks.
post #1467 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4stM4nSt4nding View Post

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. Honestly, I can't disagree with you anyway because I've never heard any Def Tech speakers before. I love the sound that comes out of my Millenia 20, so if the sound I get from the Mythos Ones are even better then I'll be a happy camper.

Do you use any subs with your Mythos speakers? How well do they handle <120 Hz on their own?

These speakers are sounding better and better, especially with all of the deals going on right now. I need to demo them somewhere.

I have the Mythos ST so and currently I don't use a external sub. I wanted to give them a shot without one , see how they hold u for both music and movies without one. They are doing just fine. They hit hard and clean. Fast and nice. I'm happy so far. So far I have not tested them. But they dig deep and can shake the room as well as my stand alone sub did.
You should hear them before you switch. They are very impressive.
post #1468 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Need some advice

I have 4 Mythos Ones for fronts and surrounds and need a new reciever. What size would work and have a budget of twelve hundred. Any advice would help. Been following this thread for a couple of weeks.

Personally I prefer Pioneer Elite. I suggest you check out there line. I find they mate extremely well with the Ones. I have impressed many people with the combo.
post #1469 of 5570 Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Need some advice

I don't think you need to spend $1200 on a receiver because you'll get marginal gains over a receiver half the price. I would look at the pioneer 919/1019/vsx21/vsx23 or the denon 1910/2310 which can be had for <700 usually, and you won't feel so bad if you want to upgrade 2 years from now.

In the past 3-4 years we've gotten better auto eq, hdmi (vid only), then hdmi w/ audio, then hdmi 1.3, etc which are now basic features in almost all receivers so I don't see a receiver as a long term investment unless you are attached to the 'sound' of the premium brands (rotel/classe/etc). I've never had a chance to A/B the premium brands so you should definitely dbt them if you ever consider going that route.
post #1470 of 5570 Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if you need to loosen the bolts. Just turn them to the surface of the glass and perhaps a quarter turn more--snug, but not tight. Check them in a couple of weeks and if they are still snug--you're good.

Yes--I wouldn't spike until you've decided on final placement--hard to move once you've got those spikes in.

Based on a post above--are the holes in your speaker clear (i.e. any broken off tabs in the holes where your tabs are missing?)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page