post #121 of 5559 Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Thanks

Right now its all in my bedroom, once my fiance and I find a place I plan on putting everything in a basement with carpetting, seating, and 7 of the whole 9 yards

Eventually I'd like to get a Sony/JVC projector with 100"+ screen :drool:

Hope that Sub is well shielded, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5559 Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrew View Post

Hope that Sub is well shielded, though.

Shielded
post #123 of 5559 Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Shielded

shielded as in magnectic shield. Don't worry you would have had issues with your computer by now if the sub wasn't shielded.
post #124 of 5559 Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Anyone know where I can get a deal on Mythos speakers? I can only find "list price" online?
post #125 of 5559 Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeter View Post

Anyone know where I can get a deal on Mythos speakers? I can only find "list price" online?

If you want silver/aluminum models, mark-downs can be found on Amazon.com and ABT.com. I've never seen black models marked down online. Many have said they've been able to get deals on DefTechs if they call an authorized dealer on the phone.
post #126 of 5559 Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeter View Post

You can get deals by calling and asking stores as mentioned above. I know forum user ADZ523 has gotten many AVS users their Def Tech setups
post #127 of 5559 Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
got the new Home Theater mag in the mail yesterday

Mythos STS is reviewed and tested along with the Mythos 9 and and Gem

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #128 of 5559 Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

If you want silver/aluminum models, mark-downs can be found on Amazon.com and ABT.com. I've never seen black models marked down online. Many have said they've been able to get deals on DefTechs if they call an authorized dealer on the phone.

OneCall is also an authorized dealer that has marked down the silver/aluminum models. MacFan has further noted that Magnolia/Best Buy has been willing to deal on the Mythos line. I assume the floor models are fair game as well (I saw a black Mythos 3 floor model marked down at my local Best Buy). Good luck!
post #129 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM

What are your thoughts on this subject. In my current setup I have dual Velo SPL-1200R subs. If I go with the powered Mythos would that be too much base & a waste of money? Or would the Mythos One's combined with the dual Velos give me the same performancs as the powered Mythos? I'd hate spending the extra $$$ on the powered models if it's really not necessary. My listening preference is roughly 60% HT & 40% two channel. So far I've only listened to the One's at BB on the open floor. I was impressed.

Is there such a thing as having too much bass & how hard is it to get everything to blend in properly (meaning ST/STS models & Velo subs)? Thanks.
post #130 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Wow, mine is very similar to you.

I have a pair of Mythos One, CLR2300, SM350s for Side surround, and mythos gems for surround back.

I feel CLR 2300 still beats mythos for center from price point.... don't know

Someone,
Which model would superior than CLR 2300 for center channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post

I bought a closeout pair of Mythos One's in October from 6th Ave locally for <$900 for the pair. They are the silver finish and were in great shape. I don't think they are stocking the silver finish for the One's now. I am using a CLR 2002 for center and SM350's for surrounds - at the moment only have a ProSub80.

post #131 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post

What are your thoughts on this subject. In my current setup I have dual Velo SPL-1200R subs. If I go with the powered Mythos would that be too much base & a waste of money? Or would the Mythos One's combined with the dual Velos give me the same performancs as the powered Mythos? I'd hate spending the extra $$$ on the powered models if it's really not necessary. My listening preference is roughly 60% HT & 40% two channel. So far I've only listened to the One's at BB on the open floor. I was impressed.

Is there such a thing as having too much bass & how hard is it to get everything to blend in properly (meaning ST/STS models & Velo subs)? Thanks.

Hi! May we please know your room characteristics? That might help folks give you a more informed answer to your question. Thanks!
post #132 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:

You can get deals by calling and asking stores as mentioned above. I know forum user ADZ523 has gotten many AVS users their Def Tech setups

Cool. What's a reasonable discount expectation? 20-25%?
post #133 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As mvp2005fan suggested, the room has a lot to do with it, but since I carefully considered Ones vs STS's a few months ago myself, I'll pass on a few generalized thoughts.

For starters, the powered Mythos (ST and STS) have a newer driver design than the non-powered Ones. The difference isn't night and day by any means, but they are a bit smoother and more refined, which you might appreciate with music.

The integrated subs on the ST/STS's blend beautifully with their midranges and tweeters, again an advantage with music, especially if you prefer to listen in two channel mode.

That said, the Ones combined with your Velodynes would be excellent. On HT, with the Ones crossed over to the Velos at 80Hz, you would probably gain very little with an ST/STS. The latter would have a subtle advantage, but maybe not enough to seem worth the extra cost. Their advantage would grow with music, but whether it is enough to justify their extra cost is an individual decision. It was to me, but that doesn't mean it would be to you.

As for too much bass, that won't happen if you calibrate your subs. I run my STS's full range in addition to my two SVS subs, and I don't ever have too much bass (except in a couple of poorly engineered recordings, but they have boomy bass even with the subs turned off ).

One advantage of the STS's running full range is that I was able to calibrate them flat for music, and run my subs a little hot for movies, giving me the best of both situations. There isn't much conflict as bass is usually directed to the LFE channel in movies and (obviously) to the L/R channels in stereo CDs. While some sound engineers do mix bass into both the front channels and LFE, the total amount of bass is no different than if it were all directed to the subwoofer by the AVR's bass management system.
post #134 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Hi! May we please know your room characteristics? That might help folks give you a more informed answer to your question. Thanks!

My room is 13x32x7 (approx 3000cu'). The TV, gear, & speakers are on the short wall facing down the long wall. I have numerous room treatments, GIK Bass traps, ATS absorption panels, Echo Busters corner busters, Aurelex bass & absorption traps. Very over stuffed couch & love seat. The room is very good musically & well suited for both HT & 2 channel listening. Hope this helps. Thanks for your help.
post #135 of 5559 Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 PM

The room is a mess but here are some pictures. more to come of the sub, and then the rears once they are up!
LL
LL
LL
post #136 of 5559 Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My room is 13x32x7 (approx 3000cu'). The TV, gear, & speakers are on the short wall facing down the long wall. I have numerous room treatments, GIK Bass traps, ATS absorption panels, Echo Busters corner busters, Aurelex bass & absorption traps. Very over stuffed couch & love seat. The room is very good musically & well suited for both HT & 2 channel listening. Hope this helps. Thanks for your help.

I'd love to give my STS's a good home like that!
post #137 of 5559 Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool, Piodef--it's nice to see a room that looks actually lived in. Is that an SC-07 in the picture? If so, how does it sound with your Mythos stuff?
post #138 of 5559 Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMHO, I think the Mythos ST's and your two Velo's would work very nicely in your room. It's a bigger room, and it sounds like you have taken substantial steps to control unwanted bass, so I don't think you could have "too much bass". Given the specs of your room, I'm certain you're going to calibrate carefully--so I'm sure no matter what you decide, it will sound great.

I think, though, that if you compared a properly dialed-in Mythos One/Velo's system with a Mythos ST/Velo's system in your room, I'd bet that while the ST system would likely sound better, it will probably be better in terms of a matter of degrees, as opposed to night and day.

Bottom line: I think in this case (as people on this forum have rightly pointed out to me), you've got to feel good about your system--so if you're the type of person who likes to have the "top of the line", then going for the ST's will be well worth the money, given the time and care you have obviously put into your room.

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

P.S.: Be sure to post some pics please when you get your system!
post #139 of 5559 Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMHO, I think the Mythos ST's and your two Velo's would work very nicely in your room. It's a bigger room, and it sounds like you have taken substantial steps to control unwanted bass, so I don't think you could have "too much bass". Given the specs of your room, I'm certain you're going to calibrate carefully--so I'm sure no matter what you decide, it will sound great.

I think, though, that if you compared a properly dialed-in Mythos One/Velo's system with a Mythos ST/Velo's system in your room, I'd bet that while the ST system would likely sound better, it will probably be better in terms of a matter of degrees, as opposed to night and day.

Bottom line: I think in this case (as people on this forum have rightly pointed out to me), you've got to feel good about your system--so if you're the type of person who likes to have the "top of the line", then going for the ST's will be well worth the money, given the time and care you have obviously put into your room.

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

P.S.: Be sure to post some pics please when you get your system!

+1

That says it very well. (I started to say almost the same thing, then realized I was commenting on two different posts at once and just deleted the whole thing rather than rewrite it. )
post #140 of 5559 Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Wanted to get your comments on my potential set-up:
Mythos SSA-50 black with Prosub 800 w/ Pioneer 01TXH receiver and Pioneer 5020FD. I had to go with the soundbar for now because of some limitations, so am wall mounting the soundbar below the wall mounted TV. Anybody with a similar setup pls tell me what I should know, concerned about, improve on, etc. as I plan to get this setup in less than a week. thanks!
post #141 of 5559 Old 02-08-2009, 02:33 PM

91 txh but they sound wonderfull together!
post #142 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All:

A little off topic, but after much research (and hand wringing ), I finally pulled the trigger on a Yamaha RX-Z7. I've been a Pioneer Elite guy (when it comes to receivers) for over a decade, but this strong review from Audioholics, here, helped push me over the edge.

I am curious about how the treble qualities of the Mythos line will fare with the Yammy, but once the receiver gets here next week, I'll post my initial impressions on how they sound together.

Thanks to all those helpful folks who provided me the info to make this decision.
post #143 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations, mvp2005fan. I'm an unreconstructed Pioneer junkie , but that's one heck of a receiver you chose. Enjoy!
post #144 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

While trying to look up what speakers you will be connecting to your great new receiver, I noticed that you didn't have a link yet for the Sound & Vision full review of the STS, Nine, Gem system., so I thought I'd post it here.

Never did find your speakers, though.
post #145 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

While trying to look up what speakers you will be connecting to your great new receiver, I noticed that you didn't have a link yet for the Sound & Vision full review of the STS, Nine, Gem system., so I thought I'd post it here.

Never did find your speakers, though.

Hi, Macfan424:
Many thanks for spotting that link--added that to the first post as well. (It was suprisingly hard for me to purchase something other than Pioneer--one really does tend to get attached to a brand over time).

Since you asked: my system (AKA The Money Pit) thus far:

Mythos One (L/R)
Mythos Eight (C)
Def Tech UIW RSS II (Side Surrounds)
Mythos Eight (Rear Surrounds)
SVS PC-12 Plus (x 2) (Subs)
Yamaha RX-Z7
Belkin PureAV AVU1500 Power/Surge/UPS

Still to decide:
Blu-Ray Player
Display
Broadcast Source (cable?, sat?, antenna?)
post #146 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, Macfan424:
Many thanks for spotting that link--added that to the first post as well. (It was suprisingly hard for me to purchase something other than Pioneer--one really does tend to get attached to a brand over time).

Since you asked: my system (AKA The Money Pit) thus far:

Mythos One (L/R)
Mythos Eight (C)
Def Tech UIW RSS II (Side Surrounds)
Mythos Eight (Rear Surrounds)
SVS PC-12 Plus (x 2) (Subs)
Yamaha RX-Z7
Belkin PureAV AVU1500 Power/Surge/UPS

Still to decide:
Blu-Ray Player
Display
Broadcast Source (cable?, sat?, antenna?)

Very cool.

We have a number of things in common: Mythos, SVS (x2), and, until now, Pioneer AVR. So naturally, I think you have good taste.

"Money Pit!" I guess it's like that for all of us, though. I think I've finally finished... for the next year or so at least. Eventually, someone will tempt me with a "must have" upgrade , but for now...

Lucky you, though. You still have lots more things to throw money at. (Trying for new single short post smiley record!)
post #147 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Has anyone tried putting black Gems or Gem XLs on silver/aluminum stands? I'm curious how this will look. The silver stands are being blown out everywhere for around $100 verses $249 for the black stands. If silver looks OK with black speakers it's a no brainer.
post #148 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Two quick questions:

1) Is there a room set up or listening conditions where the Mythos Six would be a better choice over the Gem XL (or vice versa) for rears?

2) If you chose a Mythos Ten (or 9 or 8) over the Millenia 30 for fronts, what swayed you?

Thanks.
post #149 of 5559 Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Bear View Post

Two quick questions:

1) Is there a room set up or listening conditions where the Mythos Six would be a better choice over the Gem XL (or vice versa) for rears?

2) If you chose a Mythos Ten (or 9 or 8) over the Millenia 30 for fronts, what swayed you?

Thanks.

Hi, B_Bear:

For question 1, the answers to this are often subjective and there are strong opinions on both sides of the fence in terms of bipole (Gems XL) versus directs (Mythos Six) surrounds. I'll try to summarize some general guidelines below (but YMMV, of course ).

Briefly, if you predominantly watch movies, some recommend a more diffuse sound from the rear surrounds and therefore, prefer dipoles or bipoles for the surrounds. However, if your listening tends towards multichannel music, directs may be preferred. On the other hand, for a Dolby/dts 7.1 system, the THX website recommends dipoles as side surrounds, with directs for the rear surrounds to better localize some rear effects. I chose the latter strategy: Mythos 8 for rear surrounds, with UIW RSSII bipoles as the side surrounds; however, I think the other choices would have worked fine as well.

As far as comparing the Gem XL's versus the Sixes--I believe the Gem XL's play a little lower, but according to most of what I have read, both are fine speakers and blend well with the rest of the Mythos line. What the best choice is for you probably depends on your particular room, the setup of your system, the other components in your system, and your personal taste and budget.

I have no experience with the Millenia 30, so I'll leave question 2 to someone who is better equipped to answer it.

I hope this helps a little.
post #150 of 5559 Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks MVP.

My listening is almost exclusively movies/TV; very little MC audio. The couch where I listen is parallel to the back wall that's ~2 feet away. I currently have mounted on the rear wall two rear channel speakers (direct firing) and one surround back (direct firing) all aimed toward the listening positions at the couch. I don't have the option of mounting any speakers on the side walls or to the ceiling.

Any thoughts about whether I would benefit by going with bipolar Gem XLs for the rear channels (not the surround back) give my listening arrangement?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page