post #1561 of 5599 Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

What's up all?
I finished my demo listening tonight. I had what felt like a long road of playing/ breaking in but I feel they are about as good as they are going to get and if they get any better , good for me.

System in review.
Fronts Mythos ST
Center Mythos 10
Rears Mythos 10
Sub Mythos ST internal sub
Sub Dynaudio Sub 500.
Receiver Pioneer ELite Sc-07.
DVD / CD / SACD / DVD AUDIO player Pioneer ELite dv58av wired in HDMI
powercord is a Audioquest NRG-3
Blu Ray Playstation 3 wired in HDMI
Cable is Comcast HD wire in HDMI
Game system is a Xbox 360 / Playstation 3.(removed Wii)
Power Panamax M5500ex wired with Kimber PK10 powercord.
Speakerwire is DH Labs Silver Sonic 14-2 ( is will be replaced with Kimber Kable 4tc)
Sub cables are Audioquest ITA 1.1 Custom built by me so Audioquest Mantis series.
Rear speaker wire is Audioquest 14-2
Center is Audioquest 14-2 ( will be replaced with Kimber 4tc)

Movies.
I will go on record right off the bat and say this is the most awesome impact dynamic theater system I have ever owned. Even before I Installed the Dynaudio sub500, the system is kinda scary in a good way.
Example: My son and I watch Resident Evil on DVD and everytime something jumped , we jumped. We both watched this movie a few times n the past and kinda know it. But the dynamic range of this system will put a fear in your spine. I love this about it.
Voice is natural and very tone rich. What I mean is male voice sounds real. It's like someone is talking in the room. It doesn't sound like it comes from the center channel. It sound like it's coming right out of the screen. Some speakers have a "speaker"sound" and you can tell it's being recreated. This Mythos 10 center channel has a extremely clear and deep "Airy" if you will ability. It's bigger then it's cabinet. I think the curved design does something for the way it sounds. The roundness about it I think comes into play. Something went right when they designed it.
Effects jump out into the room. You feel like your being assaulted. You feel like bullets are being fired off in your room and hitting things. Ok killer rears man, the Mythos 10 is a unbelievable rear. It really fills the room with sound, pressure and authority. It lets you know it's got it's job handled. It asked for more and more. Push it and it pushes you. Like a big bully or something. I feel these rears act like mono / bipolar speakers. They are a mono design but they are huge sounding. Having the center and rears being the same exact speaker powered by the same exact amp power is uncanny. I believe I have found Synergy in it's deepest meaning. I can't be any happier here.
Front performance. Well what can I say that I already didn't. They ST's just blend in with everything the 10's do. They stand there ground, pound there chest ( and mine) and do there job. They roll right in and fill the front of my room with a landscape. A city block , a country side , deep space or whatever you are watching.
As a system this system is perfect for me and everything I wanted and more. I have not laughed at my system in a very long time. It's a laughter that you get when you are very pleased with what you are experiencing. It's what I have always wanted and didn't know I did. I have alway s gone after the perfect music first type system that did movies as well(with in my budget of course). I have had some very good gear speakers wire and what have you. I always found that I wanted more. Today I can sit here and tell each and every one of you I have reached my goal. My theater experience is top notch. It's a system if you would have asked me a year ago if I would own , I would tell you to fly a kite. I never thought I would go back to a receiver and of all speakers own Definitive Technology. I heard them many times in the past( BP series ) and thought they where nice but not for me. Man it's nice to grow up and allow an experience judge your decesion then the names on the gear. It's a wonderful experience.

MUSIC.

This is something I have been nervous about ever sine I took my long loved and still loved/missed Dynaudio Audience 82's. These where my babies. A year ago if you asked me to sell them , fly a kite would have been the answer. I considered it a few times as I knew my theater experience was not what I wanted. They where so clear and detailed but lacked the sheer force and dynamic range I required that I didn't know I required but knew something was always missing. I would Install other systems and have to go home to see if my system sounded that good.

The Mythos system I have I use for cd / sacd and dvd audio as well as Ipod. I think cable music sucks balls and sounds like ass so I don't "listen" to it. If I was cleaning the house , working out in the garage and had the house on ,sure cable music is fine. When I want to sit down and enjoy a piece of music , I need the best quality I can get.

2 channel performance.
The ST's are skinny towers with built in subs. I had RT1000p's and told myself back then I would never again have powered towers. I hated the time and effort that had to go into them to get them to perform that way I wanted/expected. but What I noticed about the ST's is there uncanny ability to sound like a full range passive speaker. You have to blend the subs in for 2 channel just right. This is something I learned with experience over the last week and would be glad to share my craft.
I listen to Loreena McKennitt a lot. I have all of her cd's. It's a voice and mood I often need to clear my mind and soul. I'm a angry person by environment I guess. My life has been good to me for the most part but I have had some ruff times growing up and in my adulthood. She has a way of calming the beast with in and when my system is on , she can reach me on a very deep level. I hear her voice and it .... ok you get the idea. The Mythos ST's for music are wonderful. They are very different sounding then my Dynes. I had to get over they are gone and there is a new kid on the block. I'm one who loves/hates change. I like structure and guide lines. I feel sad and a bit lost when things change even if it's for the better. I can't go on record and say the Mythos ST's are a better musical speaker , I don't believe that.If anything they are different. Some things I like very much but others I like my Dynes more.
Rock music. I find the ST's to be able to play rock music very well. I can jam with them and dig every riff. The Kick drums thunder out of the built in subs and sound like kick drums and not a one hit wonder crappy theater junk trash sub. They are actually pretty musical when tuned right. I'm pretty impressed here.
Jazz. I have mixed feeling here. Some of my cd's sound pretty damn good but lack something. I have not been able to place my finger on it. It's like the emotional connection to the mood is disconnected. I don't know if they are doing something wrong or I'm looking for something else. Not sure what to say other then I like my Dynes better here.
Classical. Huge big deep sounds. I have SACD cuts on a sampler I got years ago when SACD first came out. It has some really good cuts on it and the ST's are way up for the challenge. I'm not a big fan of classical but I find it fascinating at times to listen 2.Stravinsky doesn't make my top ten list but finds his way into my SACD collection. I'd rather listen to Jerry Goldsmith and movie cuts like Star Trek the motion Picture or Air force one. All on SACD.
Music overall I'd say most people will find the ST's exceptional for a theater skinny powered tower. You could put them up against most 4 thousand dollar speakers and below and feel very good about the results.

I did however enjoy listening to Norah Jones sacd "come away with me". It started out as a demo secession and turned into a entire album secession. Thats when I know I enjoy a speaker when I can sit there and start out in demo mode and end up in comfort mode. When I feel myself living in the moment , I know I have something I enjoy. When I sit there wanting more or just stay in demo mode, I know I need to move on.

This will be one of many reports of my finding of the Mythos series speakers. So far so good. As a double duty speaker , I think these are the ones. They are good enough with music that I can live with them with no regrets but the theater performance is just off the effing hook. I'm so damn happy.

I could get into gaming performance but I think I made my point. If you can get a proper demo of the Mythos series speakers I think you might find something special. It's like finding a gem where you didn't expect it. I love that about them. You know you go around and read the reviews and think to yourself " how the hell are these Definitive Technology speakers getting such high marks across the board in all the reviews. No other speakers made has better reviews. NONE. And now I know why they score so well. The cost to performance is uncanny.

In the Old Home Theater review fashion I give them an overall score of 96 out of 100. I think they don't have enough weakness to flaw them much. No speaker is perfect unless you have the Dynaudio C4's and even then you have to pay out your ass and nose and maybe your mouth to get them. Then there is the rest of the system that is required to power them and get them to achieve such incredible sound. The Mythos series does what it does with receivers. I personally think the SC-07 is the very best sounding under 2200.00 receiver on the market and can sound as good as some separates. Those ICE amps are amazing. And mixing them with Mythos is truly my dream come true.

How did you set up your rears (mythos 10's). Are they hanged on the wall? stand? Vertical? and at what height? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullybeef View Post

How did you set up your rears (mythos 10's). Are they hanged on the wall? stand? Vertical? and at what height? Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17047580

Follow the link and you can see pic's of my 10's on wall as rears. They are 71 1/2 inches to the center of the tweeter. This is ideal height for rears. I have heard all of Def Tech's rear channel speakers and I like the 10's the best. I listen to a lot of music.
post #1563 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelmorio View Post

Hello,

I have a newbie question for wiring speakers.

Can I use banana plugs on Mythos? I have the STSs and Gem XLs.
Thank you for your answer!

Michaelmorio

Yes. All Mythos speakers except Banana plugs. Now if you hang the Gem XL's on wall , then you will have to cut out a round hole big enough for the Banana plugs to go inside the wall. The Gem's on wall are better suited for a bare wire.
post #1564 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post

A lot of us are still waiting for 6ave to send the rest of our speakers so we can complete our setup! I'll definitely post some of my thoughts when my system is complete.

I will be looking forward to reading your review.
post #1565 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Thanks man, I think it's time I invested in a new TV. LOL. I keep swapping out my audio but never the video. I got a problem like that.

A 600M would go very nicely in that spot

Last thing I listened to / watched was the Soloist on BluRay and I was so drawn in to that movie I started looking at SACD'd of classical music just so I can enjoy the full broad sound of the horns, basses, etc. I'm still waiting on my GEM XL's for the last two rear speakers.

The only thing I have been considering now is moving up from the VSX-23TXH to an SC model in the Elite line. I will probably hold off though since the next models will probably 1 up what they already have but damn do I want that ICE amp

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
post #1566 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 AM

rnrn,

Thank you for your response!

Michaelmorio
post #1567 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:

The center channel is the most important speaker in a theater setup. get that right and everything else falls into place.
With that being said, the M9 is as everyone knows the perfect match to your STS speakers. The M3 is a very nice center channel and works well with the STS. We have both the 3 and 9 on the floor and there is a noticeable difference. It's not night and day or anything but the 9 sounds I'll call it "fuller".
It's not a bad idea to get the 9. Sell the 3 and recover some of the money.

While I understand that the 9 is the 'exact' match to the STS, do you think the overall experience would be better (and the cost would be better justified) if I just spend the extra $100 and get a 10 instead?
post #1568 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabre7 View Post

While I understand that the 9 is the 'exact' match to the STS, do you think the overall experience would be better (and the cost would be better justified) if I just spend the extra $100 and get a 10 instead?

Thats what I did. For $100 why not. The ten sounds great with the STS's
post #1569 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can but why not the 9? I don't get it it's the perfect match. The 10 goes with the ST's. If you really like the 10 then you should consider the ST's and sell off the STS.

Things match for a reason. I suggest you stick with the correct center.
post #1570 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have the STS matched with a Mythos 10 as the center and could not be happier with the sound emitting in unison with each across the front. It will really draw you in and I do believe the reproduction of male voices and deeper sounds is better suited for the 10 than the 9. Just an opinion though. Even the local Def Tech Rep at CEDIA recommended the 10 over the 9 and said the 10 was the best center speaker available in the Mythos line. I asked him specifically if I should go down from the 10 to the 9 to match and he stated absolutely NO WAY
post #1571 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelmorio View Post

Hello,

I have a newbie question for wiring speakers.

Can I use banana plugs on Mythos? I have the STSs and Gem XLs.
Thank you for your answer!

Michaelmorio

As an FYI: I used banana plugs on my Mythos including the rears. To wall mount, you have to place the holes carefully (including space you need to place the Def Tech mounts); however at least on the 8's you can conceal them well. Pics are here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15681535
post #1572 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yes. All Mythos speakers except Banana plugs. Now if you hang the Gem XL's on wall , then you will have to cut out a round hole big enough for the Banana plugs to go inside the wall. The Gem's on wall are better suited for a bare wire.

Upps, I over looked your post. Thanks Mantis10!

Michaelmorio
post #1573 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

As an FYI: I used banana plugs on my Mythos including the rears. To wall mount, you have to place the holes carefully (including space you need to place the Def Tech mounts); however at least on the 8's you can conceal them well. Pics are here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15681535

mvp2005fan,

Thanks!

Michaelmorio
post #1574 of 5599 Old 10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home View Post

I have the STS matched with a Mythos 10 as the center and could not be happier with the sound emitting in unison with each across the front. It will really draw you in and I do believe the reproduction of male voices and deeper sounds is better suited for the 10 than the 9. Just an opinion though. Even the local Def Tech Rep at CEDIA recommended the 10 over the 9 and said the 10 was the best center speaker available in the Mythos line. I asked him specifically if I should go down from the 10 to the 9 to match and he stated absolutely NO WAY

I agree the 10 is a better "center channel" then the 9 due to it's a few hz lower but if a company makes a matching center , why would one recommend something different? Granted timbre matching is key to synergy between speakers and the 10 and 9 don't really sound much different, actually they are extremely close.
But the 9 is the perfect match for STS , I just don't understand using something else even the 10. Why not finish off the front array and upgrade the STS to ST? They 2 have better bass and actually sound better then the STS. If you listen to one then the other , it's noticeable enough to want the same improvement.
Having a great channel channel is key to any theater system, I do however get it wanting more.
post #1575 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 AM

Liked: 11
I'm looking to purchase Mythos One's for my front speakers and I've found a pretty good deal on them from a certain famous online retailer. What is the best center for these speakers?

I've done a little research, and it seems most people recommend the Mythos Three, but I've seen some recommending the Mythos Eight as well. Any suggestions?

I'll also probably need a new Subwoofer as well. I currently have a KEF PSW-2150. Would it be a good match for these speakers? I"ll be using this probably 95% of the time for movies and gaming, with the remaining 5% music.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I tried performing a quick thread search, but nothing was really coming up.
post #1576 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Liked: 12
Cloggerdude, I got my Ones, 10 for the center and Gem XLs for the rear early last summer. I also got a Epik Dragon (sealed 18" driver) and the house just rocks! Had my inlaws over and demo'ed Master and Commander and then watched the first Transformers (they had never seen it) Grins all around!
post #1577 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggerdude View Post

I'm looking to purchase Mythos One's for my front speakers and I've found a pretty good deal on them from a certain famous online retailer. What is the best center for these speakers?

I've done a little research, and it seems most people recommend the Mythos Three, but I've seen some recommending the Mythos Eight as well. Any suggestions?

I'll also probably need a new Subwoofer as well. I currently have a KEF PSW-2150. Would it be a good match for these speakers? I"ll be using this probably 95% of the time for movies and gaming, with the remaining 5% music.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I tried performing a quick thread search, but nothing was really coming up.

Def Tech recommends the 8, because the drivers match what's inside of the 1. The 3 has smaller drivers and a different crossover requirement. I bought the 8 with my Ones, and am quite pleased.

As far as a subwoofer is concerned, the volume of your listening room should be the determining factor in whether or not to get something larger than what you have. You might consider waiting until after you setup your new speakers to make that determination.
post #1578 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM

I have Mythos Ones for front, rear surrounds, and back surrounds, with a Mythos Eight for the center. I am very happy with the eight, great clarity for dialogue.

I had Ones for the fronts already connected, but just connected the back and rear surrounds last night, and I am thrilled with the effect. The sound is beautiful, and crystal clear.

I am running a Klipsch KSW12 and everything works really well together. I bought a Martin Logan Dynamo a couple of weeks ago, but not sure if I am going to use it though. From what I have been reading, the ML is awesome on sound, but for HT it lacks a little. But what I can't figure out is, that every user review that I have read, it gets 5 star reviews, and many people are using it in home theater.

So not sure if I should open it up and give it a try, and compare it to the Klipsch KSW12, or if I should keep it packaged up and sell.

I am happy with the Klipsch, but I have a case of upgrade-itis right now. If I could, I would get the SuperCube I, but right now, that is just too much money to spend.

The Mythos Ones all around, on a 7.1, with the Mythos Eight for center, was a huge step up. Very happy I did that.
post #1579 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awanders View Post

I have Mythos Ones for front, rear surrounds, and back surrounds, with a Mythos Eight for the center. I am very happy with the eight, great clarity for dialogue.

I had Ones for the fronts already connected, but just connected the back and rear surrounds last night, and I am thrilled with the effect. The sound is beautiful, and crystal clear.

I am running a Klipsch KSW12 and everything works really well together. I bought a Martin Logan Dynamo a couple of weeks ago, but not sure if I am going to use it though. From what I have been reading, the ML is awesome on sound, but for HT it lacks a little. But what I can't figure out is, that every user review that I have read, it gets 5 star reviews, and many people are using it in home theater.

So not sure if I should open it up and give it a try, and compare it to the Klipsch KSW12, or if I should keep it packaged up and sell.

I am happy with the Klipsch, but I have a case of upgrade-itis right now. If I could, I would get the SuperCube I, but right now, that is just too much money to spend.

The Mythos Ones all around, on a 7.1, with the Mythos Eight for center, was a huge step up. Very happy I did that.

Do you have pictures of your setup? I'm planning on having the same speakers as you and would love to see your spacing.
post #1580 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggerdude View Post

The 3 will work, we have it setup in our showroom but the 8 is a better matching choice IMO. I don't know the Kef sub but if you want a sub to match well , I suggest the Definitive Technology Supercube I or II. They are very good theater subs and really nice musical subs. I like them a lot. Everyone I have Installed no matter the room ,they perform and well. Even in bad placement places , still can be tailored to perform.
post #1581 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 PM

RNRN,

The Ones are not in their final place yet. I am going to rebuild my front A/V cabinetry(Maple or Cherry, I haven't decided yet), to incorporate the front Mythos Ones. For the side (rear) surrounds and the back surrounds, I am going to build boxes and recess into the walls, then trim out in maple or cherry. I am going to install 5.25" crown moulding and the wires will go behind the moulding. The molding will be removable via small head trim screws painted to match the trim, so it will be relatively easy to upgrade wiring in the future.

We had our house prewired when we were building, but the A/V /Central vac installers, used low end wires and such. So I am installing all new 12 gauge speaker wire, HDMI 1.3a cable (2), and Component Video Cable.

From this point forward, I will ALWAYS do these type of installs myself. The prewire, when we built the house, was a waste of money.

So, I am not sure how much my pics would be able to help you right now, but I can post a few pics later today, if you would like.

I still have to run Audessey, but I really love the sound of the Ones with a sub.

My room is ~16'x21', with double french doors at the right rear of the room.

Let me know if you would still like some pics.

AW
post #1582 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:

RNRN,

The Ones are not in their final place yet. I am going to rebuild my front A/V cabinetry(Maple or Cherry, I haven't decided yet), to incorporate the front Mythos Ones. For the side (rear) surrounds and the back surrounds, I am going to build boxes and recess into the walls, then trim out in maple or cherry. I am going to install 5.25" crown moulding and the wires will go behind the moulding. The molding will be removable via small head trim screws painted to match the trim, so it will be relatively easy to upgrade wiring in the future.

We had our house prewired when we were building, but the A/V /Central vac installers, used low end wires and such. So I am installing all new 12 gauge speaker wire, HDMI 1.3a cable (2), and Component Video Cable.

From this point forward, I will ALWAYS do these type of installs myself. The prewire, when we built the house, was a waste of money.

So, I am not sure how much my pics would be able to help you right now, but I can post a few pics later today, if you would like.

I still have to run Audessey, but I really love the sound of the Ones with a sub.

My room is ~16'x21', with double french doors at the right rear of the room.

Let me know if you would still like some pics.

AW

Wow, quite a project! Will you be using some fabric to hide them in the wall or will the the recess be open? I can wait for pics of the final project. I was just curious to see how far away from the listening positions all of the speakers were.

Also, have you looked into the MFW-15 for a sub? You can get the moho natural satin b-stock for 499 shipped until tomorrow. I got the diamond finish since I thought the cracks would be very visible but now I really wish I had gotten the satin instead and saved $100. MLS posted some pictures of the B-stock in the av123 forums and the cracks in the veneer aren't visible from a distance and would probably be hidden in your setup.
post #1583 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Hi folks! I just started a thread in the Audio Theory, Setup and Chat" area, asking for advice about placement of my Mythos speakers. Rather than double-post, could you please saunter over there and give me your advice? Thanks in advance!!
post #1584 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I agree the 10 is a better "center channel" then the 9 due to it's a few hz lower but if a company makes a matching center , why would one recommend something different? Granted timbre matching is key to synergy between speakers and the 10 and 9 don't really sound much different, actually they are extremely close.
But the 9 is the perfect match for STS , I just don't understand using something else even the 10. Why not finish off the front array and upgrade the STS to ST? They 2 have better bass and actually sound better then the STS. If you listen to one then the other , it's noticeable enough to want the same improvement.
Having a great channel channel is key to any theater system, I do however get it wanting more.

I think it's a question of cost vs. benefit at this point. If I'm going to spend $800 for a small upgrade, would it be worth spending the additional $100 for a more substantial upgrade, and would the benefits of the 10 over the 9 outweigh whatever negatives there would be from it having different drivers.
post #1585 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think it's a question of cost vs. benefit at this point. If I'm going to spend $800 for a small upgrade, would it be worth spending the additional $100 for a more substantial upgrade, and would the benefits of the 10 over the 9 outweigh whatever negatives there would be from it having different drivers.

There is absolutely no reason at all not to go with the 9. You do have STS correct? Do what you want, I suggest you save your 100 bucks and do something else with it unless your going to upgrade to ST's , then it would be worth to only spend the money once. There isn't enough difference between the 2 if you are going to use the STS's. have you even heard them both? We have just about all the Mythos speakers on our showroom including the 1 , 2 , 3 , 9 , 10 , STS , ST , Gems. I have the 9 and STS system on display and calibrated. I also have the 10 and ST in our theater room. You are welcome to come hear for yourself. I will sell you anything you want. I'm telling you there is no reason to get the 10 over the 9 when using the STS front speakers. It fills the room just as good, when they are both crossed over at 80hz which they both should be , there is even less of a difference. If you are hard pressed to spend more money, why not get the 9's for rears as well. This will yield bigger gains then the 10 as a center with your system. What receiver do you own?
I'm just saying.
post #1586 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

I know there are many topic's on this thread. I should start a new one on this topic but for now I'll post here.

Why do you own Mythos series speakers? It's a deep question . Like what's first in your life , music or theater?

There are so many other speakers out there to get to know , why Mythos , why not BP? Why not B&W or Triad?

Lets talk people.
post #1587 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I know there are many topic's on this thread. I should start a new one on this topic but for now I'll post here.

Why do you own Mythos series speakers? It's a deep question . Like what's first in your life , music or theater?

There are so many other speakers out there to get to know , why Mythos , why not BP? Why not B&W or Triad?

Lets talk people.

I went for the Mythos line because of the great deal I got on them. I was considering the Energy RC-70 or Paradigm studio (60 or 100) series, but either couldn't get a chance to audition them or couldn't find a good enough deal on a 5.1 setup. For anyone that has listened to all three, how do the RC-70 & studio 60/100 compare to the M1s?

What other speakers from B&W, Triad, Totem, or other distributors are comparable to the M1s?

I've heard the 802d which are amazing but I'd have to sell my car to afford a 5.1 setup with them.

Very few forums have as much talk about the Mythos line as we do, so I'm curious to see what other speakers people in a similar price range end up going for.
post #1588 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Lets talk people.

I got the Mythos mainly because of the great reviews and modern looks
post #1589 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Lets talk people.

I chose Mythos One speakers because their sound, when paired with good subwoofers, is perfect for my ears and room. Detailed without being harsh; lively without causing fatigue; and superbly realistic tones such that I feel like the musicians/singers are performing right in front of me.

Equally important is aesthetic appeal. The typical big boxy speakers do not agree with my house decor. My Mythos speakers blend extremely well with the rest of my home. Although extremely beautiful works of art, they do not attract undue attention to themselves. Their appearance is neither obnoxiously "Loud" nor boring--just simply perfect for my eyes.

I use my Mythos speakers 80-90% of the time for music, 10-20% for movies. They do bring movies to life...voices, sound effects, background music...everything is sparklingly clear while remaining warm and inviting. I hate cold technical sound, which is why the Mythos One speaker is perfect for me.

Music...I listen to everything---except rap. Lately, I'm addicted to Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Eric Clapton, Brandenburg Concerti, Jim Croce, Earl Klugh, James Taylor, Elvis (yep!), Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Eagles, Peter/Paul/Mary, John Denver......

Listening to my favorite music through my Mythos speakers is very much an invigorating experience...It uplifts my spirit, makes me forget my worries, and has definitely rekindled my love for great music.
post #1590 of 5599 Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Why not use the Dynamo for music listening, then turn the Klipsch on only for movies?

I have two Supercube II's when listening to music. They are smaller, and thus, produce tighter and quicker bass than a subwoofer with large drivers. But because of their small size, they don't go down low enough for a satisfying movie experience.

Which is why I run a 12 inch Klipsch subwoofer to handle the low frequency effects of movies.

So for music, I have the 2 Supercubes II. For movies, I have 2 supercubes II's PLUS the 12 inch Klipsch.

I just have the Klipsch on a different switched electrical outlet that I can turn on/off independently.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page