Definitive Technology Mythos Series Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 5560 Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Bear View Post

Thanks MVP.

My listening is almost exclusively movies/TV; very little MC audio. The couch where I listen is parallel to the back wall that's ~2 feet away. I currently have mounted on the rear wall two rear channel speakers (direct firing) and one surround back (direct firing) all aimed toward the listening positions at the couch. I don't have the option of mounting any speakers on the side walls or to the ceiling.

Any thoughts about whether I would benefit by going with bipolar Gem XLs for the rear channels (not the surround back) give my listening arrangement?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, B_Bear:

I'd be interested in what everyone else has to say, but IMHO, I think in your setting (where the surrounds are fairly close to the couch), the bipolar Gem XL's would likely help make your surrounds less localizable. Whether you just replace the 2 rear surrounds, or the EX channel as well would be up to you--although I think traditionally, the EX was supposed to be a direct radiator since it's the rear center channel (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As is often suggested on AVS, it would be helpful to acquire the Gem's locally so that you can audition them to make a truly informed choice.

A couple other thoughts--you've probably done this already, but you will probably want to mount those surrounds pretty high up (while still pointing at the listening position). A final consideration might be: which speakers (the Gem's or the Sixes) match the timbre of your fronts/center the best in your particular setup.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!
mvp2005fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 5560 Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Very cool.

We have a number of things in common: Mythos, SVS (x2), and, until now, Pioneer AVR. So naturally, I think you have good taste.

"Money Pit!" I guess it's like that for all of us, though. I think I've finally finished... for the next year or so at least. Eventually, someone will tempt me with a "must have" upgrade , but for now...

Lucky you, though. You still have lots more things to throw money at. (Trying for new single short post smiley record!)

Thanks, bro--hopefully, I'll get this thing done by the end of Spring.
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #153 of 5560 Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Member
 
ronnielee54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to pull the trigger on DT's. Can't decide between Gem XL's front and rear (fronts on stands if Gem stands will fit Gem XL's), Mythos 3 center, and Supercube III or Mythos 5's for front. Gems for rear, Mythos 7 for center, and Supercube III (the latter setup is straining the budget). I have been able to audition most of these speakers, but not in these specific setups. Room is 15 deep by 20 wide with 12' cathedral ceilings. For now it will be powered by a Pioneer Elite SX- 90TXV but Denon 2309 soon. Help please
ronnielee54 is offline  
post #154 of 5560 Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Teeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnielee54 View Post

I am about to pull the trigger on DT's. Can't decide between Gem XL's front and rear (fronts on stands if Gem stands will fit Gem XL's), Mythos 3 center, and Supercube III or Mythos 5's for front. Gems for rear, Mythos 7 for center, and Supercube III (the latter setup is straining the budget). I have been able to audition most of these speakers, but not in these specific setups. Room is 15 deep by 20 wide with 12' cathedral ceilings. For now it will be powered by a Pioneer Elite SX- 90TXV but Denon 2309 soon. Help please

The Fives are very nice, but the Gem XL's with a good subwoofer sound amazing to my ears. But I've never compared with the Fives back-to-back. Also, personally, I think the Three is a much better choice for center. If you're going to step up to the Fives, why "downgrade" to the Seven for center?
Teeter is offline  
post #155 of 5560 Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Newbie
 
Dpp11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it turns out solo surround bar is not recommended for my living room wall set-up. i sought for advice from the retailer....for my budget(~2k), they suggested the following:
mythos five as fronts
mythos seven as center
mythos gem as surrounds
prosub 800 as sub

now my questions are:
1. what's ur experience with this system?
2. does pioneer 01txh work well with the speakers?

thanks
Dpp11 is offline  
post #156 of 5560 Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpp11 View Post

it turns out solo surround bar is not recommended for my living room wall set-up. i sought for advice from the retailer....for my budget(~2k), they suggested the following:
mythos five as fronts
mythos seven as center
mythos gem as surrounds
prosub 800 as sub

now my questions are:
1. what's ur experience with this system?
2. does pioneer 01txh work well with the speakers?

thanks

I have no experience with the system you describe, so I can't respond to that, but I can relate that my Pioneer VSX-01TXH works beautifully with my Mythos STS and Three. I have meters attached which verify what my ears tell me: The 01 barely breaks a sweat with my set-up, even at ear-splitting volume levels. (Of course, "ear-splitting" to me may be "normal" for others! )
Macfan424 is offline  
post #157 of 5560 Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Teeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any concerns about using Gem XL's as fronts. They're great sounding speakers and actually produce more low-end than the Twos or Sixes. But will the dispersed sound from the off-axis mid/bass drivers mess with accurate soundstage/imaging for music?
Teeter is offline  
post #158 of 5560 Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Member
 
jhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Upper Dublin, PA
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dpp11 - I'm curious to learn why you backed off the SSA-50 as I am considering a similar setup for a new HT system in my living room. My 55" TV butts up against a doorway on the left side leaving no room for a wall mounted speaker. I was thinking to use the SSA-50 for LCR and pair it with 2 rears and a sub - I would/could use the surround connections on the SSA-50 for a hybrid 7.1 setup.

I am considering both the Polk SurroundBar 50 and Mythos SSA-50 for the primary speaker and am leaning towards a Denon 1909/789 AVR (trying to steal one from CC during their liquidation).

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on this potential setup?

Thanks
jhav is offline  
post #159 of 5560 Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Member
 
bigAWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeter View Post

Any concerns about using Gem XL's as fronts. They're great sounding speakers and actually produce more low-end than the Twos or Sixes. But will the dispersed sound from the off-axis mid/bass drivers mess with accurate soundstage/imaging for music?

I've heard a couple people say they really like their Gems or GemXLs in the front. I have a Mythos 3 on the way, and plan to get some GemXLs for the front in the next couple months. If you can wait that long, I'll let you now how they sound for me. I'm hoping the GemXLs will work because I really don't have good placement possibilities for a pair of Mythos 2s (too tall for the bookshelves). But I have the option later to get the 2s if I set up the room differently, and then I can move the GemXLs to the surrounds.

One caveat about my upcoming opinion on the GemXLs... I currently listen to Bose 301 "direct/relfecting" bookshelf speakers (I've had them for 17 years). So I'm already very accustomed to a dispersed sound.

In any case, it's all relative. Someone can say it's the best sound he's ever heard - but if he's been listening to his built-in TV speakers all his life, take it with a grain of salt.
bigAWL is offline  
post #160 of 5560 Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeter View Post

Any concerns about using Gem XL's as fronts. They're great sounding speakers and actually produce more low-end than the Twos or Sixes. But will the dispersed sound from the off-axis mid/bass drivers mess with accurate soundstage/imaging for music?

The Gems may not have the precise imaging that the rest of the Mythos line has, but a lot of people prefer the more dispersed effect. They like a bigger, more room filling sound, a little more like DefTech's more typical bi-polar models. It's a trade off, and everyone has their own biases. Try to listen to them if possible so you can decide for yourself.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #161 of 5560 Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Member
 
kibon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the heads up on this thread mvp2005fan.

My setup:

Denon AVR-5308CI
Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector
136" 16:9, Painted screen (spent too much already)
PS3
XBox360
Directv HR-20
Panamax M5400 Power center
Computer (needs an upgrade)

Now the important stuff

Fronts: Mythos ST
Center: CLR3000
Surrounds: BPVX/P (2)
Sub: Supercube I

I will soon be matching up my surrounds to my ST's by purchasing 4 (maybe 5 for center too) Mythos 10's to make my system full 7.1 mythos glory.

Only thing I'm weary of is the difference in sound characteristics when going from a bi-pole surround speaker of the BPVX/P to direct radiating of the M10. Main reason I'm changing to the M10's is to timbre match them to my ST's.

I love the CLR3000, so I'm not sure yet if I will be switching to the M10 on that one, but I will definitly try one of em out as a center once I get them.
kibon is offline  
post #162 of 5560 Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibon View Post

thanks for the heads up on this thread mvp2005fan.

My setup:

Denon AVR-5308CI
Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector
136" 16:9, Painted screen (spent too much already)
PS3
XBox360
Directv HR-20
Panamax M5400 Power center
Computer (needs an upgrade)

Now the important stuff

Fronts: Mythos ST
Center: CLR3000
Surrounds: BPVX/P (2)
Sub: Supercube I

I will soon be matching up my surrounds to my ST's by purchasing 4 (maybe 5 for center too) Mythos 10's to make my system full 7.1 mythos glory.

Only thing I'm weary of is the difference in sound characteristics when going from a bi-pole surround speaker of the BPVX/P to direct radiating of the M10. Main reason I'm changing to the M10's is to timbre match them to my ST's.

I love the CLR3000, so I'm not sure yet if I will be switching to the M10 on that one, but I will definitly try one of em out as a center once I get them.

Nice setup. Certainly the Tens would be cool with the ST's, but I wouldn't be in a great hurry to replace your BPVX's. When I had some communications with DefTech about surrounds to go with my STS's, they made a point of stating the BP1.2X and BP2X would provide a "solid match" (their words). By extension, it's reasonable to say the BPVX's would too. And there is a lot to be said for a bipolar design in the surrounds. At least try to insure that you can return the Tens if you don't find them as much of an improvement as you hope.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #163 of 5560 Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Member
 
hdg360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Nice setup. Certainly the Tens would be cool with the ST's, but I wouldn't be in a great hurry to replace your BPVX's. When I had some communications with DefTech about surrounds to go with my STS's, they made a point of stating the BP1.2X and BP2X would provide a "solid match" (their words). By extension, it's reasonable to say the BPVX's would too. And there is a lot to be said for a bipolar design in the surrounds. At least try to insure that you can return the Tens if you don't find them as much of an improvement as you hope.

I also recevied the same advice from Def Tech. My story real quick....I started out with BP7004's CLR 3000 and BPX1.2's....I was able to upgrade to the BP7002's but unfortunately they were damaged in shipping. I have been waiting for the replacement 7002's for quite awhile and was offered the Mythos STS towers for being patient. I e-mailed Chet at Def Tech and he said they would all work well together...so when the shipment arrives
( hopefully in 2009 sometime ) I will have a decision to make on which towers to take home. I have been thinking hard about the STS series so I think I will take them and try them out...but I am still on the fence.
hdg360 is offline  
post #164 of 5560 Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Teeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone here running Six's and a seven up front? I can't find any reviews or comments on that set up. Particularly vs Gem XL's and a Three up front. Anyone?
Teeter is offline  
post #165 of 5560 Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Member
 
B_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to size up space for the Mythos Ten -- what are the dimensions of the bracket that it mounts on?

Thanks.
B_Bear is offline  
post #166 of 5560 Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
akopperl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Mythos Nine to the Mythos Ten?

Also, has anyone directly compared the ST to the STS speakers? I heard the STS speakers and thought that they sounded great. Unfortunately, the store did not have the ST speakers. I am trying to decide whether the ST speakers are worth the additional money or if I would be better off buying the STS speakers and using the extra money to buy a dedicated sub.

Thanks
akopperl is offline  
post #167 of 5560 Old 02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Member
 
e_honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone have comments about how a pair of Mythos Ones would work with a Marantz SR7002? And does it matter whether I pair these with a Three, Eight or Seven center (I'll be placing this on a stand that sits right under the TV)? I'll probably end up getting an SVS cylinder sub.

Thanks
e_honda is offline  
post #168 of 5560 Old 02-15-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Mythos Nine to the Mythos Ten?

Also, has anyone directly compared the ST to the STS speakers? I heard the STS speakers and thought that they sounded great. Unfortunately, the store did not have the ST speakers. I am trying to decide whether the ST speakers are worth the additional money or if I would be better off buying the STS speakers and using the extra money to buy a dedicated sub.

Thanks

Not sure how much good it will do you, as different rooms (much less different ears) could lead to different conclusions, but I did compare the STS and ST's and couldn't hear any significant differences.

I'm sure the ST's would have an advantage if played extremely loud, but I don't do that for music, so I didn't compare them that way. At home, the STS's are all I'd ever ask for with movies, too (didn't audition the ST's with movies). However, I have an average sized room, and sit ~ 8-9' from the speakers. In a large room or farther away, the ST's advantage might be more apparent.

I can't offer any thoughts on the Nines as they didn't exist a couple of months ago when I bought my setup, so I've never heard them. I have a Three as my center. I didn't consider the Ten, as it would not fit in my (then) available space. If I were buying now, I'd probably go with a Nine, but if I had ST's, I'd be inclined to match them up with a Ten. I suspect the Nine and Ten are analogous to the STS and ST, with differences likely to become noticeable in large rooms and/or high volumes.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #169 of 5560 Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
akopperl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I'm sure the ST's would have an advantage if played extremely loud, but I don't do that for music, so I didn't compare them that way. At home, the STS's are all I'd ever ask for with movies, too (didn't audition the ST's with movies). However, I have an average sized room, and sit ~ 8-9' from the speakers. In a large room or farther away, the ST's advantage might be more apparent.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you using a separate sub or are the powered subs in the STS sufficient for home theater?
akopperl is offline  
post #170 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Are you using a separate sub or are the powered subs in the STS sufficient for home theater?

I use separate SVS subs (2). They are still within their +/- 3dB envelope at 15Hz, which is as low as I can measure.

Nonetheless, I do run the STS at Large (something I usually advise against with other speakers). This makes them ideal for 2 channel music, as their -3dB point is 28Hz, covering the effective lower limit for music (which is ~30Hz, except for pipe organs). Without a separate sub, the ST's would gain some advantage in HT usage, as their -3dB point is 24Hz.

The 28Hz figure was supplied by DefTech, and I got the same reading in my own in-room measurements. This is lower than some good dedicated subwoofers I've measured in my room, and certainly adequate for an impressive HT experience, albeit not the ultimate performance that some of us pay extravagant amounts to try to achieve. Over 90% of bass, even in movies, is over 30Hz. But for the gut wrenching bass you feel rather than hear, there is no substitute for a high quality separate sub (or 2; or 3 or 4 or... ).
Macfan424 is offline  
post #171 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
otk
AVS Special Member
 
otk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
for home theater, i would run the STS as small with a 40hz crossover

sound & vision's Tom Nousaine measured the STS as being down 5.3db @ 30hz which means it's probably rolling off in the mid to high 30s

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...nce-page2.html

the STS is probably fine for most music by itself as large

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
otk is offline  
post #172 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

for home theater, i would run the STS as small with a 40hz crossover

sound & vision's Tom Nousaine measured the STS as being down 5.3db @ 30hz which means it's probably rolling off in the mid to high 30s

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...nce-page2.html

the STS is probably fine for most music by itself as large

I probably would too, but my receiver doesn't offer separate crossover points for different speakers. The crossover you choose for one is what you get for all (the only thing I dislike about my Pioneer AVR). I could use a 50Hz crossover, but it would be a poor choice with my Three. It works better for me to use the conventional 80Hz crossover everywhere else, and the STS's at large.

I'm aware of Tom Nousaine's figures (and reported them here), but my measurements in my own room (using an SMS-1) supported DefTech's numbers. Admittedly, that was unexpected, as in-room measurements rarely are the the same as manufacturer's anechoic results, but they were in this case, as least as well as I could measure them (the SMS-1 is not easy to read with great precision). Probably a happy coincidence based on placement and room dynamics.

For whatever reason, I was very pleasantly surprised by the STS's extraordinarily smooth bass response in my room. Roll-off beginning in low thirties, with -3dB in high 20's. No peaks, no nulls. Clean and tight sounding. Initially, I had no intention of running them as Large, but hearing and seeing their bass response changed my mind.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #173 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Redman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping I could get some help making this decision. I'm planning a 6.1 setup in a small room (approx 12x14ft). I want to use Gem xls for the surround speakers but I can't decide on the front speakers (my center speaker choice will be determined by my front speaker choice). Basically, for the same price I could choose two mythos one speakers plus a Supercube 2 - or two STS towers. I was originally leaning towards the STS's but then noticed in the manual from definitve their recommendation to place these speakers at least 3 ft from side and back walls. There isn't a similar recommendation in the mythos one owners manual. Because of the small size of my room and the placement of the door, placing the front speakers three feet from the front and side walls just isnt an option. I could probably place them 1.5 ft from front wall and 2 feet from side wall max. Any insight into this would be appreciated. What setup should sound best placed this close to the walls?
Thanks
Redman77 is offline  
post #174 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman77 View Post

Hoping I could get some help making this decision. I'm planning a 6.1 setup in a small room (approx 12x14ft). I want to use Gem xls for the surround speakers but I can't decide on the front speakers (my center speaker choice will be determined by my front speaker choice). Basically, for the same price I could choose two mythos one speakers plus a Supercube 2 - or two STS towers. I was originally leaning towards the STS's but then noticed in the manual from definitve their recommendation to place these speakers at least 3 ft from side and back walls. There isn't a similar recommendation in the mythos one owners manual. Because of the small size of my room and the placement of the door, placing the front speakers three feet from the front and side walls just isnt an option. I could probably place them 1.5 ft from front wall and 2 feet from side wall max. Any insight into this would be appreciated. What setup should sound best placed this close to the walls?
Thanks

I really like the STS speakers (as does just about everyone); however, in a small room (as you described it), the optimal subwoofer placement may not coincide with the optimal place for your mains. Therefore, the Mythos One/Supercube 2 will give you more flexibility in terms of sub placement, and may allow you to optimize your base response a little better (as well conform to Def Tech's speaker placement suggestions). I chose to go Mythos Ones/SVS Subs x 2 for that reason--I have an unusual room and I thought I might need that flexibility.

Having said that, the only way to know for certain is to audition the STS's in your room to see if you like the way they sound that close to the walls--chances are, they still sound fine--just perhaps a bit more bass than the designers intended. Alternatively, you could roll down to B & M and get the salesperson to put the STS's close to two walls and see if the sound is to your liking--still wouldn't be as good as testing in your own room, but it might give you an idea of what to expect.

Just my two cents--MacFan424 has the STS's at home so I'm sure he has more insight on this than I do.
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #175 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mvp2005fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibon View Post

thanks for the heads up on this thread mvp2005fan.

My setup:

Denon AVR-5308CI
Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector
136" 16:9, Painted screen (spent too much already)
PS3
XBox360
Directv HR-20
Panamax M5400 Power center
Computer (needs an upgrade)

Now the important stuff

Fronts: Mythos ST
Center: CLR3000
Surrounds: BPVX/P (2)
Sub: Supercube I

I will soon be matching up my surrounds to my ST's by purchasing 4 (maybe 5 for center too) Mythos 10's to make my system full 7.1 mythos glory.

Only thing I'm weary of is the difference in sound characteristics when going from a bi-pole surround speaker of the BPVX/P to direct radiating of the M10. Main reason I'm changing to the M10's is to timbre match them to my ST's.

I love the CLR3000, so I'm not sure yet if I will be switching to the M10 on that one, but I will definitly try one of em out as a center once I get them.

I agree with all that has been said on this. There is one additoinal thing you might consider--if you decide that you might eventually go to 7.1, you may wish to keep your side surrounds as bipolar, and put a pair of 10's in the back to be the rear surrounds. This is the recommended set up for 7.1 from the THX Dolby website, since DTS Master and TrueHD Dolby apparently specify full range localizable surround in those extra 2 rear channels. (It's what I ended up doing.) Either way, I'm sure your system will rock!
mvp2005fan is offline  
post #176 of 5560 Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Member
 
bmonlycg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
heys guys! well im new with the def tech and i am lookin to purchase a pair of mythos four to replace my current setup. I live in an apartment which doesnt keep me from cranking it. i really just want something that has clear sound for ht and regular tv watching. i heard these at bb and loved them! i realize you guys might be bias but any opinions on this? the room is about 17X15 open to the kitchen and dining room. also at bb the bass didnt seem bad, how are these in your set up? Does anybody mind posting a couple pics of there setup? and also i know its not the matching center BUT how would the procenter 2000 go with these or any other mythos? Do to size limitations that would work out alot better for me. This would be ran by my hk 247. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions...
bmonlycg is offline  
post #177 of 5560 Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Member
 
bigAWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just took the first step in building my new Mythos sourround system. I received my Mythos Three center channel. I ran home at lunch time to hook it up.

I'm replacing a Bose setup. The 301 bookshelves have served me well for 18 years now (I still like the way they sound). But the other parts - a VCS-10 center and 100 surrounds - just had to go.

First impression of the Three? Compared to the Bose, this thing is built like a tank. The website says it weighs 13 lbs, but it feels like 20. I had to be careful when positioning it on the TV and trying to plug it in. I fired it up without re-calibrating, and the center channel is now dominating the system. I guess the Bose center really is weak. But even without calibration, I can hear the difference. Now I need to re-run the Audyssey calibration tonight and really start enjoying my new center.

My next plan was to relpace the bookshelves, but here's my dilemma... I won't be able to get a sub until this summer (shipping weight is too much for my mail service - I live in Africa). My Bose 301 bookshelves do have some low-end extension. I did a quick comparison between the the 301 and the Mythos Three (plugged it into the B speaker connect), and definitely heard more low frequencies from the Bose. Obviously the Mythos Three and the GemXL I'm planning for the fronts are designed to run with a powered sub. I think the GemXLs go a little lower than the Three, but should I dare get the GemXLs and try to run them without a sub for any length of time?
bigAWL is offline  
post #178 of 5560 Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Member
 
Teeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

I just took the first step in building my new Mythos sourround system. I received my Mythos Three center channel. I ran home at lunch time to hook it up.

I'm replacing a Bose setup. The 301 bookshelves have served me well for 18 years now (I still like the way they sound). But the other parts - a VCS-10 center and 100 surrounds - just had to go.

First impression of the Three? Compared to the Bose, this thing is built like a tank. The website says it weighs 13 lbs, but it feels like 20. I had to be careful when positioning it on the TV and trying to plug it in. I fired it up without re-calibrating, and the center channel is now dominating the system. I guess the Bose center really is weak. But even without calibration, I can hear the difference. Now I need to re-run the Audyssey calibration tonight and really start enjoying my new center.

My next plan was to relpace the bookshelves, but here's my dilemma... I won't be able to get a sub until this summer (shipping weight is too much for my mail service - I live in Africa). My Bose 301 bookshelves do have some low-end extension. I did a quick comparison between the the 301 and the Mythos Three (plugged it into the B speaker connect), and definitely heard more low frequencies from the Bose. Obviously the Mythos Three and the GemXL I'm planning for the fronts are designed to run with a powered sub. I think the GemXLs go a little lower than the Three, but should I dare get the GemXLs and try to run them without a sub for any length of time?

BigAWL, you and I have been on similar paths trying to upgrade our HT. (Except for the Africa part!) Here's what I've learned about the Mythos line:

The Mythos series was designed specifically to work with subwoofers. Because of that, Definitive didn't do any boosting of the mid/upper bass ranges that is common in smaller speakers. Boosting gives the illusion that small speakers have more bass than they really do. But because Definitive doesn't do this with Mythos, they sound quite bare without a sub. (On the other hand, lack of mid-bass boost makes them blend much easier with a sub.) FYI, I tried listening to a pair of Two's without a sub and they sound like computer speakers. Add a sub and they sound glorious.

So long story short, I think you'll be quite unsatisfied running Mythos without the sub.

-T
Teeter is offline  
post #179 of 5560 Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Macfan424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman77 View Post

Hoping I could get some help making this decision. I'm planning a 6.1 setup in a small room (approx 12x14ft). I want to use Gem xls for the surround speakers but I can't decide on the front speakers (my center speaker choice will be determined by my front speaker choice). Basically, for the same price I could choose two mythos one speakers plus a Supercube 2 - or two STS towers. I was originally leaning towards the STS's but then noticed in the manual from definitve their recommendation to place these speakers at least 3 ft from side and back walls. There isn't a similar recommendation in the mythos one owners manual. Because of the small size of my room and the placement of the door, placing the front speakers three feet from the front and side walls just isnt an option. I could probably place them 1.5 ft from front wall and 2 feet from side wall max. Any insight into this would be appreciated. What setup should sound best placed this close to the walls?
Thanks

As others have said, a separate subwoofer has more placement flexibility than built-in ones such as on the STS. The optimal location for a sub is rarely the same as for the main speakers.

Of course, all the fine theoretical discussions here to the contrary, many of us don't have many real options for speaker placement, so we place them where they fit and live with the sonic results. From what you said, you may be one of those (us ), in which case it becomes a matter of try it and see.

I have a couple of nice SVS subwoofers, so originally I was going to get a pair of Ones. Along the way, I fell in love with the STS's and decided to abandon the budget and go for them even though I didn't "need" their additional bass.

My room defies description, except to say it is an audiophile's nightmare. However, one thing it has in common with yours is that the speakers must be closer to the rear wall than recommended, about 16" on the right and a weird 3" partially open to an adjoining 30" deep window level alcove on the left. (I'm sure that description is unfathomable; suffice to say it fits no standard arrangement.) My STS's are at least 3 feet from the side walls, although there is a heavy aquarium next to one.

My conclusion is that while like most speakers they would benefit from placement away from room boundaries, in practice the STS's are unusually forgiving about placement. The adjustable woofer levels certainly help offset low frequency room gain (or lack thereof). In my asymmetrical, highly reflective room, they far exceeded my expectations. The imagining is spectacular (of course, the Ones would be similar), frequency response smooth and balanced, and as I mentioned a few posts up, their bass is clean and tight with no peaks or nulls.

I've used this room for decades with countless speakers. The STS's are the first that have truly pleased me there. Before them, I enjoyed HT in the room, but never used it for serious music listening. Now, at last, I can really enjoy my SACDs in all their multichannel glory as well as regular stereo CDs. I don't retire to my separate "music system" much any more.

I don't doubt you would enjoy either of the options you are considering, but I wouldn't let the placement recommendations be the sole determining factor in deciding against the STS. Most DefTech dealers will let you return them if they don't work in your room, so of course the best way to find out how well they'd work for you would be to try them at home.
Macfan424 is offline  
post #180 of 5560 Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Member
 
hrricane34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased an SSA-42 in hopes of creating a simple (fake) surround setup in a small living room. I have it paired to an Onkyo TX-SR605 and setup according to the SSA-42 instructions (No audyssey, speaker distances all the same, surround L/R to +5dB, etc.). My source input is a PS3 and Dish Network DVR 722, both via HDMI.

So when I listen to either the PS3 or Dish Network, there isn't much sound coming out of the SSA-42. I'll have to crank up the volume on the 605 to +70 just to get it at a good listening volume. I used to have Onkyo speakers and only had to set the volume to +30. Why is there such a difference?

Also, I do not hear any type of simulate surround coming from the SSA-42. The sound is very directional like it's coming just from the speaker it self and doesn't sound wide.

Does anyone else have the SSA-42 or SSA-50 and can provide some insight? Thanks!
hrricane34 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off