post #1801 of 5556 Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood53 View Post

Thank you RNRN, Macfan424, & mvp2005fan for your advice, this is the final turnout, Mythos one for fronts, mythos 8 for center, Gem xl"s for the rear and the super cube I for the sub - the rears and sub will have to wait till I sell my orig setup, but while I was putting all the pieces together which I am picking up tommorrow, the Pio SC-07 should be here saturday, I located another set of one"s and a 8 center all in silver at the same vendor...

Enjoy!

Don't reach too many conclusions about your speakers until you have your sub, though, as they will not be at their best without one. They are not designed to be used without a sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 5556 Old 11-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thank you RNRN, Macfan424, & mvp2005fan for your advice, this is the final turnout, Mythos one for fronts, mythos 8 for center, Gem xl"s for the rear and the super cube I for the sub - the rears and sub will have to wait till I sell my orig setup, but while I was putting all the pieces together which I am picking up tommorrow, the Pio SC-07 should be here saturday, I located another set of one"s and a 8 center all in silver at the same vendor, If any one is in need PM me for the details.

Glad to see you went for the Eight center with the Ones!
post #1803 of 5556 Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i bought 2 more m1's from onecall last week, apparently the price has gone up since then. wished i knew and bought more from 6ave during then name your own price event
post #1804 of 5556 Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a good relationship with my local 6th ave. electronics. I purchased some floor sample Mythos One (pair in silver) and a brand new Mythos Eight in silver. I got all three forjust under 1K!!!

I am very happy with the purchase. I am not thrilled with my current choice of rears (BPx1.2) because of their non matching design. I only have a 5.1 setup for the Mythos. And my couch is up against the back wall. The BPx1.2 are at either side and about 3' above ear level. I'm tempted to try some Gem XLs, but I think the bipole config of the BPX1.2 might suit me best in this situation. Any thoughts?
post #1805 of 5556 Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

I am not thrilled with my current choice of rears (BPx1.2) because of their non matching design. I only have a 5.1 setup for the Mythos. And my couch is up against the back wall. The BPx1.2 are at either side and about 3' above ear level. I'm tempted to try some Gem XLs, but I think the bipole config of the BPX1.2 might suit me best in this situation. Any thoughts?

I have the 9,9,9,SC3,Gem setup and my couch is on the back wall about 16 feet from the receiver. I mounted the gems using the promounts on the back wall, then angled them as far down as I could, then towards the back wall. I would say the speaker is pointed about at your knees while you are sitting on the couch. (About 40 degrees from off the back wall. It sounds good, but it's VERY direct. I can tell where the sound is coming from. I think I need to do more tweaking on the speaker levels. Anyway, I wonder myself what the BPX rears would sound like that you have. The gems do match quite nice with the rest of my speakers and I think the crux of my issue is placement. I know where the rear sound is coming from. Probably not quite as immersive as the BPX would be, but I am trying to increase WAF.
post #1806 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have a good relationship with my local 6th ave. electronics. I purchased some floor sample Mythos One (pair in silver) and a brand new Mythos Eight in silver. I got all three forjust under 1K!!!

I am very happy with the purchase. I am not thrilled with my current choice of rears (BPx1.2) because of their non matching design. I only have a 5.1 setup for the Mythos. And my couch is up against the back wall. The BPx1.2 are at either side and about 3' above ear level. I'm tempted to try some Gem XLs, but I think the bipole config of the BPX1.2 might suit me best in this situation. Any thoughts?

Woodbridge store? They are pretty good there - I also got some good deals from that store and in Springfield.
post #1807 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 AM

Liked: 10
So I finally set up my system after my latest move. New for me are the Mythos 2s to go with the center 3, and I moved the GemXLs to the rear. I love the sound - I highly recommend this combo, though I haven't heard the Ones or ST/STS systems. I'm prehaps glad that I haven't, or I might want to upgrade.

Here's the view from main listening position.

This one kind of shows my SVS SB12+ sub under the end table (bottom left corner). I l-o-v-e that thing.

Here is the back of the room.

The walls are masonry, so running wires in-wall was not an option. So I went with a flat speaker cable that sticks to the wall, and it's virtually invisible if you're not looking for it. In this photo it comes from the upper right corner and runs to the top of the speaker, then folds 90 degrees down to run behind the speaker. I like the way it turned out.
post #1808 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great system, BigAWL! (I think this is a great example of selecting the perfect system to compliment a space--speakers are in perfect proportion to the television with a nice, neat unobtrusive install. I'll bet it's great sounding as well!).

Thanks for the pics!
post #1809 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you RNRN, Macfan424, & mvp2005fan for your advice, this is the final turnout, Mythos one for fronts, mythos 8 for center, Gem xl"s for the rear and the super cube I for the sub - the rears and sub will have to wait till I sell my orig setup, but while I was putting all the pieces together which I am picking up tommorrow, the Pio SC-07 should be here saturday, I located another set of one"s and a 8 center all in silver at the same vendor, If any one is in need PM me for the details.

Sounds great! Enjoy, and please let us known how things go when you get them--Mythos + Pio = SWEET!
post #1810 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a situation similar to this in my upstairs system. Couch had to be on the back wall. I dealt with this by putting the speakers as high up on the wall as possible and placed them so that no drivers were pointing directly at me. This worked out pretty well for a tough situation. Can you get your surrounds higher up on the wall?

Another option is to angle your rears closer to the side walls so they bounce sound off the side walls. That would also help diffuse things a bit.

I would suggest balancing your surround speaker levels carefully by hand with an SPL meter--you're probably going to have to have a relatively low surround signal to avoid excessive localization.

The Gem XL's are sort of pseudo-bipoles themselves. The only advantage they might offer is the similar timbre to your fronts; however, I suspect in your setting the difference would not be night and day. IMHO, it'd be better to use the cash towards 7.1.
post #1811 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I'm tempted to try some Gem XLs, but I think the bipole config of the BPX1.2 might suit me best in this situation. Any thoughts?

If starting from scratch, I'd say go with the Gem XL's, but since you own BP1.2X's, I'm not sure changing to Gem's would be worth the cost. The BP1.2X's are pretty well suited to your circumstances. While the Gem's might be a slightly better match, it won't be night and day. When I asked DefTech a similar question, they told me BP1.2X's "will provide a solid match" to my STS's, and I'm sure that would hold for your Ones, as well.

mvp2005fan offered some good advice. In addition, if you have a receiver with auto room EQ, it should help blend your speakers together very effectively.
post #1812 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I have a situation similar to this in my upstairs system. Couch had to be on the back wall. I dealt with this by putting the speakers as high up on the wall as possible and placed them so that no drivers were pointing directly at me. This worked out pretty well for a tough situation. Can you get your surrounds higher up on the wall?

Funny you should mention this. After my last post I tweaked my rears to be level on the wall instead of pointing downward and the gems sound a lot less directional. I am still angling them toward the rear wall, but straight off the wall instead of downward. Big difference. I have 9' ceilings and they are at about the 8' mark. I can't believe how much difference position makes with the mythos speakers. They seem to be very precise and focusd in their sound projection.
post #1813 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post

Woodbridge store? They are pretty good there - I also got some good deals from that store and in Springfield.

Yes, on route 1/9. They definitively give good deals (pun intended)
post #1814 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

If starting from scratch, I'd say go with the Gem XL's, but since you own BP1.2X's, I'm not sure changing to Gem's would be worth the cost. The BP1.2X's are pretty well suited to your circumstances. While the Gem's might be a slightly better match, it won't be night and day. When I asked DefTech a similar question, they told me BP1.2X's "will provide a solid match" to my STS's, and I'm sure that would hold for your Ones, as well.

mvp2005fan offered some good advice. In addition, if you have a receiver with auto room EQ, it should help blend your speakers together very effectively.

I have another 2 weeks to audition and exchange the BP1.2x rears. For this setup, I think it is fine. I have an Elite VSX-23 and ran the calibration and tweaked some more with the spl meter. I think I'm just being anal because I like the look of the Mythos series so much. Soundwise, I am quite happy.

In my main home theater setup, I have BP7002, CLR 2500, and (4) BP2X with a Supercube 1. I like the way these speakers blend AND look together too.

Thanks,
Joe

Nice setup Bigawl!!! btw, say hi to Kamala for me ;-)
post #1815 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Nice setup Bigawl!!! btw, say hi to Kamala for me ;-)

Will do. Don't tell me you've been here before!
post #1816 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

Where did you get that giant giraffe in your living room? That's badass!
post #1817 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Hi Guys I am about to order Mythos sts system (and a Denon 4810) and was wondering if I should wait till after thanksgiving? Do prices fall certain times of year on this kind of gear? Thanks for any advice. Also any recomendations of online retialers?
post #1818 of 5556 Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, no. I was a wrestling fan back then. I agree on the giraffe. Very cool!
post #1819 of 5556 Old 11-14-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleike View Post

Hi Guys I am about to order Mythos sts system (and a Denon 4810) and was wondering if I should wait till after thanksgiving? Do prices fall certain times of year on this kind of gear? Thanks for any advice. Also any recomendations of online retialers?

The best prices I've seen for new STS speakers is on ebay, but I'm not sure what local dealers can do.
post #1820 of 5556 Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, no. I was a wrestling fan back then. I agree on the giraffe. Very cool!

Oh, now I see. Kamala, not Kampala. I had to google him. Sorry, never heard of him.

The giraffe was from an African craft fesitval back a few years ago when I lived in Burkina Faso. It's actually from Togo. The wife loves giraffes.
post #1821 of 5556 Old 11-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh, now I see. Kamala, not Kampala. I had to google him. Sorry, never heard of him.

The giraffe was from an African craft fesitval back a few years ago when I lived in Burkina Faso. It's actually from Togo. The wife loves giraffes.

Excellent system. I also think the Giraffe is badass.
post #1822 of 5556 Old 11-14-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Excellent system. I also think the Giraffe is badass.

Giraffe is cool, but the bow and arrows are even cooler!

PS: bigAWL...Just curious--how do the masonry walls affect the sound you are getting? Is the room really "live"? (I would imagine the other furnishings help a lot with this). How is the dialogue clarity?
post #1823 of 5556 Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Giraffe is cool, but the bow and arrows are even cooler!

PS: bigAWL...Just curious--how do the masonry walls affect the sound you are getting? Is the room really "live"? (I would imagine the other furnishings help a lot with this). How is the dialogue clarity?

Oh gosh, I don't know. I haven't had these speakers anywhere that I didn't have masonry walls, so I haven't heard a comparison. But I don't think it reverberates much at all. And I would say dialog is very clear. Then again, my ear isn't as discerning as some, so I may not be the best to describe what's going on. I just like what I hear.
post #1824 of 5556 Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Gentlemen,

I need your help in finding a subwoofer!!! Well, I sold my PA-120 today and now am seeking the advice of you knowledgeable gents' for the final piece to my system....for the time being =)

I've mentioned previously, I have four Mythos 1's for fronts and surrounds and a Mythos 9 for my center. I have a budget of about $500; I could go a little more if the performance is that much better and of course, I wouldn't mind spending less if possible.

Sub is primarily used for HT with gaming about 10% and music about 10%. I've heard the ED A2-300 being a popular choice for a reasonable price. Would it be better to splurge and go for the likes of a HSU, SVS or even a MFW-15? Also, has anyone heard of the Acoustech PL-200?

Sorry for the long post as I'll be making my decision based on the feedback I get in this thread; I don't have the access to audition these subs individually so I'll base my choice on your guys' knowledge.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Michael
post #1825 of 5556 Old 11-17-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post

Gentleman,

I need your help in finding a subwoofer!!! Well, I sold my PA-120 today and now am seeking the advice of you knowledgeable gents' for the final piece to my system....for the time being =)

I've mentioned previously, I have four Mythos 1's for fronts and surrounds and a Mythos 9 for my center. I have a budget of about $500; I could go a little more if the performance is that much better and of course, I wouldn't mind spending less if possible.

Sub is primarily used for HT with gaming about 10% and music about 10%. I've heard the ED A2-300 being a popular choice for a reasonable price. Would it be better to splurge and go for the likes of a HSU, SVS or even a MFW-15? Also, has anyone heard of the Acoustech PL-200?

Sorry for the long post as I'll be making my decision based on the feedback I get in this thread; I don't have the access to audition these subs individually so I'll base my choice on your guys' knowledge.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Michael

Fax svsound a sketch of your HT room with all dimensions (l x w x h), openings (hallways, openings to adjoining rooms), location of your HT gear, seating position, and your budget. Call them and they will give you advice on which sub to get and ideas where to put it in your room. They won't oversell to you.

I just got a SVS PC12-NSD to replace my Klipsch. The improvement in sound quality, quantity and depth (goes down below 20Hz in my room) is phenomenal! The sub is currently on sale for 569 plus shipping.

Go to SVSOUND.com for fax, telephone and other info.
post #1826 of 5556 Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post

I need your help in finding a subwoofer!!!...I have a budget of about $500...Sub is primarily used for HT with gaming about 10% and music about 10%. I've heard the ED A2-300 being a popular choice for a reasonable price. Would it be better to splurge and go for the likes of a HSU, SVS or even a MFW-15?...l

There are a number of fine choices available in the $500 range, as it is very competitive. Many consider it optimal in terms of quality vs cost.

Many people here like ED as they seem to offer excellent value for the money. Personally, I favor the SVS PC12-NSD fquails suggested, if for no other reason than SVS's long record of outstanding customer service. I've been delighted with my SVS PC12-NSD, and consider it a "best buy" in the SVS line.

You might also seriously consider the Hsu VTF-2 MK 3 which is currently on sale for $499. Both SVS and Hsu are well established, very highly regarded ID firms with many loyal fans here and a long history of great reviews from independent sources. You wouldn't go wrong with either, but, as I said, there are many other good options as well.
post #1827 of 5556 Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquails View Post

Fax svsound a sketch of your HT room with all dimensions (l x w x h), openings (hallways, openings to adjoining rooms), location of your HT gear, seating position, and your budget. Call them and they will give you advice on which sub to get and ideas where to put it in your room. They won't oversell to you.

I just got a SVS PC12-NSD to replace my Klipsch. The improvement in sound quality, quantity and depth (goes down below 20Hz in my room) is phenomenal! The sub is currently on sale for 569 plus shipping.

Go to SVSOUND.com for fax, telephone and other info.

I'll second that. PB12-NSD is a good start as well.
post #1828 of 5556 Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM

Hello, I thought I would introduce my self as a new ST owner. Thanks to everyone on this thread for their info and input. Nice speakers.
post #1829 of 5556 Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget that if you buy from an ID, you need to tack on the shipping cost to the price of the sub, which can add as much as $100.

I bought the middle-tiered Outlaw model myself, and am pleased with its performance with my Mythos Ones, Eight and Pio SC-07 setup.
post #1830 of 5556 Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoe View Post

Hello, I thought I would introduce my self as a new ST owner. Thanks to everyone on this thread for their info and input. Nice speakers.

Welcome, and congrats! Please post pics of your Mythos system when you get a chance
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page