post #2941 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Which one is generally considered better for 2-Channel Audio?

Thanks,

Josh

For 2 Channel Audio, I've heard both and IMHO the ST's sound better, but of course, you've got to swing the price premium. I do think the STS's have a better bang for the buck ratio and are more friendly to the space-challenged. (When I first saw the ST's in person, the first thing I thought of was the a scene in Stanley Kubrick's 2001! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

I am thinking of upgrading my Gems to the XL's. As you can see with the 4th picture my gems are right behind the coach. A simple 1-1 swap would be fine, but wondering if I could place the Gems on the table right behind the coach? They would be in front of the XL's by a few inches and lower unless I put them up on something. Since I don't really have the ability to move the Gems to mid point in the room setup, would this be good at all for 7.1? Also don't really have options to push the possible new XL's out beyond the couch either.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Actually, I think if you really had your heart set on 7.1, I would put your side surrounds on the floor (firing upward) behind your couch (as far apart as possible given the couch) and the rears in the back.

However, I just haven't been impressed enough with 7.1 with today's material to risk messing up a strong 5.1 setup by adding what will essentially be your main (side) surrounds in a suboptimal position. I have a 7.1 setup and 99.99% of what I hear in the rear channels is just matrixed sound via processing in my receiver.

Also, I was wondering how your fronts sound--they seem really far apart from your monitor--sometimes when you get out over 7 to 8 feet or so, you start to lose cohesion in front panning, and sometimes sounds seem disconnected from the picture.
post #2943 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLRaZerXTC View Post

ABT is taking preorders of the TX-NR808, and I don't know if I should pay the extra $300 for SC-25. The 1.4 HDMI is future proof, but the SC-25 seems like a popular mix with the mythos.

I have 3.1 system (3 mythos 9 and PC12-NSD) in a 11x11 room.

Any suggestions?

I think you'd be very happy with the SC-25. The pairing of Pioneer and Mythos is very pleasing.
post #2944 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Actually, I think if you really had your heart set on 7.1, I would put your side surrounds on the floor (firing upward) behind your couch (as far apart as possible given the couch) and the rears in the back.

However, I just haven't been impressed enough with 7.1 with today's material to risk messing up a strong 5.1 setup by adding what will essentially be your main (side) surrounds in a suboptimal position. I have a 7.1 setup and 99.99% of what I hear in the rear channels is just matrixed sound via processing in my receiver.

Also, I was wondering how your fronts sound--they seem really far apart from your monitor--sometimes when you get out over 7 to 8 feet or so, you start to lose cohesion in front panning, and sometimes sounds seem disconnected from the picture.

My fronts sound fine to me with that distance. I am also limited to the wife factor
Maybe I will just replace the gems with the xl's and leave it at that. I am not looking to necessarily moving to 7.1, but thought I would just use these great speakers. Just logistically it would be hard to have 4 rears so close together that I would think would sound crappy. Also let wires along the floor Another wife factor

post #2945 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I think you'd be very happy with the SC-25. The pairing of Pioneer and Mythos is very pleasing.

The SC-25 successor should also be out August/September which is rumored to have HDMI 1.4 as well.
post #2946 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post

Hey guys, I'm new to the Mythos line and I'm hoping I could get some good advice here. I use the DefTech Outdoor AW6500's and have been pleased so I thought I would check out their indoor Mythos set for my theater.

My receiver is the Denon AVR 4810ci and I am considering the following set-up. What are your thoughts?

Center: Mythos Ten
L & R: Mythos One (no need for the subs in the ST Towers I think??)
Sub: SuperCube I
Rears: Gem XL's

If I go with the SuperCube I, then I am guessing I don't need the larger ST Towers? My room is a modest 15 x 20.

thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

While the Ten is undoubtedly a very fine speaker (I have not listened to it), the less expensive Eight has drivers that match the Ones. Yes, you are correct the the Towers have a built in subwoofer. My own preference is to go with a dedicated sub if you have enough room for it. I went with an Outlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

I run Mythos Ones, Mythos Eight, BP2X's and a reference sub and I couldn't be happier. I love the M1's and I really prefer to have passive mains. I have never done a A/B test between M1's and ST's, but I am sure they sound better with the subs in them. I would be curious to do a A/B test with the subs turned off in the ST's and see how mych better that different driver and tweeter sound. Anyhow I have heard the ST's and the low end doesn't compare to a dedicated subwoofer. I think def tech says the subs in the ST's compare to a supercube 1 and I say no! For the money you can get a set of M1's and a reference.. Like I said I have never done A/B test with M1's vs ST's w/o subs on.. but I love my set up.

I agree and I'd skip the SC I and go for something like an SVS or Epik sub!
post #2947 of 5570 Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

My fronts sound fine to me with that distance. I am also limited to the wife factor
Maybe I will just replace the gems with the xl's and leave it at that. I am not looking to necessarily moving to 7.1, but thought I would just use these great speakers. Just logistically it would be hard to have 4 rears so close together that I would think would sound crappy. Also let wires along the floor Another wife factor

I think you've nailed it-- if all 4 surrounds are so close the advantage (however small) of 7.1 tends to diminish.

As far as your other comments....I hear you bro'-- "Happy wife = happy life" is the one incontrovertible law of home theater!
post #2948 of 5570 Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Which one is generally considered better for 2-Channel Audio?

Thanks,

Josh

Both speakers are very good at 2 channel music. I have done side by side and found the ST to outshine the STS in every single way.
The STS is a great musical speaker with clear mid range and a nice sparkle up top. The bass is strong and clean , when setup correctly you have no idea they are a powered tower.
The ST does everything the STS does but better. The mid range is fuller and more life like. Somehow the top end sounds cleaner even though it's the same exact tweeter. The bass is about the same until something digs deeper and then you realize the ST has a stronger deeper bottom end.
The ST really sounds like a refined STS.
post #2949 of 5570 Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabre7 View Post

The SC-25 successor should also be out August/September which is rumored to have HDMI 1.4 as well.

Where did you find this info? Do you have anything else to add? I'm waiting on this news.
post #2950 of 5570 Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

Where did you find this info? Do you have anything else to add? I'm waiting on this news.

There is some technical info in this thread, but it is of course all unconfirmed/rumor at this point. Also, I should have said "announced" not "out" in September, which merely assumes Pioneer follows past release schedules.
post #2951 of 5570 Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just received my Mythos Twos from Bajawaverunner and replaced my ProMonitor 800s.

Oh. My. God

Broken in or not, the difference is AMAZING!

Was not expecting this much of a difference! Could not be happier!!!
post #2952 of 5570 Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

Just received my Mythos Twos from Bajawaverunner and replaced my ProMonitor 800s.

Oh. My. God

I'm considering getting a couple DefTechs from him too. What is the downside to getting "refurbished" speakers?

Currently in the "Design" Phase of my new Theater build

He who buys cheap, buys twice
post #2953 of 5570 Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I'm considering getting a couple DefTechs from him too. What is the downside to getting "refurbished" speakers?

Can't speak about other sellers, but I've now ordered two different products from him and they have arrived in "new" condition. Original boxes, speakers in bags, warranty cards, etc.

Just pay attention to the description and you should be golden.
post #2954 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone recommend a good sub (around $1,000 or less), with the following setup?

Center: Mythos 9
Fronts: Mythos STS
Rears: Mythos XL
AVR: Pioneer SC-25
Bluray Player: LG 590
Room Size: Moderate to Large
Uses: 75% Music / 25% Movies

Thanks in advance!
post #2955 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Troll

Liked: 44
Quote:

i was told that there was no factory warranty on them.
post #2956 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Lantern View Post

Can anyone recommend a good sub (around $1,000 or less), with the following setup?

Thanks in advance!

I am in the process of researching and setting up my new HT and I have a very similiar set up to yours. Except I am going with the Mythos Ones instead of the STS. The STS has subs integrated into them. With my ones, I am holding off for the dual Epik Legends. Mostly because my room is small. You might want to consider an Epik Conquest, but that would be a lot of boom.

Anyway... keep in mind that I am stating all of this based on research I've done over the last several weeks. I have not listened to the set-up so maybe someone else can chime in with more/better advice. Good luck.

Currently in the "Design" Phase of my new Theater build

He who buys cheap, buys twice
post #2957 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Since you'll be playing music for 75% of the time, you should look at purchasing a Rythmik sub. If you head over to the subwoofer forum here, I think you'll find everyone agrees these are one of the top subwoofers for music and are also incredibly accurate in home theater. I looked at an SVS PB12-NSD before I finally opted for a Rythmik F12. and the difference in detail was dramatic. One of the best purchases I've made and the owner (Brian) is based here in Austin, TX.
post #2958 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

That's a very similar set up to what I have. I'm currently running dual Ultra-13's, but those are not in your price range. I'd look at either Rythmik's F15 (which I have heard and thought was great), an SVS PC12-Plus (a bit more HT emphasis, but the new ones are also great with music, I've heard and owned several versions of the Plus line) or the Epik Empire. I haven't heard the Empire, so this is just based off of the glowing reviews on this and other forums.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #2959 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Interesting, are you not planning on using the subs in the STS? Certainly, the PB12-Plus mentioned above would be a good choice, but so would a pair of Outlaws on sale.
post #2960 of 5570 Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

Oh. My. God

You're welcome!

Edit: I watched the fight scene at the end of The Incredible Hulk last night at 0db. Wow. I had to turn it down because it was too loud. The Mythos 2s produce a wall of sound that I'm sure your PM 800s were lacking. They also produce incredible amounts of detail. Sure, I wish I had a dedicated HT room w/ $30k+ worth of equipment, but that will never happen. For now, we can be happy with our setups!
post #2961 of 5570 Old 06-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post

You're welcome!

Edit: I watched the fight scene at the end of The Incredible Hulk last night at 0db. Wow. I had to turn it down because it was too loud. The Mythos 2s produce a wall of sound that I'm sure your PM 800s were lacking. They also produce incredible amounts of detail. Sure, I wish I had a dedicated HT room w/ $30k+ worth of equipment, but that will never happen. For now, we can be happy with our setups!

I'm finally at the point where I can be really happy with my setup (and avoid being strangled by the fiance). Thanks for all the suggestions!
post #2962 of 5570 Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I would check out the Epik Empire - I have a Vanquish from Epik (now d/c'd due to the Empire) but it blends flawlessly with my Mythos Ones and Eight up front. I listen to a lot of music but it does well for HT as well.
post #2963 of 5570 Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Interesting, are you not planning on using the subs in the STS? Certainly, the PB12-Plus mentioned above would be a good choice, but so would a pair of Outlaws on sale.

I'm going to use the built-in subs in the STS as "large speakers" with the LFE going into my new sub (whatever that turns out to be).

Thanks to everyone who gave me recommendations. I'll have to check-out the Rythmik and Epik speakers as suggested by several individuals. Just out of curiousity, if I bumped my budget to say $2,000, would it be that much better, for example, to get a SVS-Ultra than say the Rhymik?
post #2964 of 5570 Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm going to use the built-in subs in the STS as "large speakers" with the LFE going into my new sub (whatever that turns out to be).

Thanks to everyone who gave me recommendations. I'll have to check-out the Rythmik and Epik speakers as suggested by several individuals. Just out of curiousity, if I bumped my budget to say $2,000, would it be that much better, for example, to get a SVS-Ultra than say the Rhymik?

Or you could get dual Rythmiks or Empires and still have some money left over for a sub-eq?
post #2965 of 5570 Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 AM

I have a Pioneer 1020K and am really considering a pair of Mythos Ones for L/R. Will the 1020 be sufficient to drive the ones? Is anyone driving the ones with a 1020 or similar receiver?
post #2966 of 5570 Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

I have a Pioneer 1020K and am really considering a pair of Mythos Ones for L/R. Will the 1020 be sufficient to drive the ones? Is anyone driving the ones with a 1020 or similar receiver?

I purchased a 1020K and had trouble getting the sound I wanted from a ProMonitor 800, ProCenter 2000, and BP 1.2x setup. The audio quality (to me) was significantly lower than the Denon 1909 it replaced. I returned it and went for an Onkyo HT-RC180 and am now thrilled with the sound.

Your mileage may vary.
post #2967 of 5570 Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 AM

Wanted to get some input from Mythos owners. Currently have a Denon 790 and MK2.3 HSU sub. I am looking to purchase the following system:

Fronts: Mythos II
Center: Mythos III
Surrounds: Mythos Gems

I can get this for about $1500. Thoughts on this setup in a 3000^ft room for HT? I have heard mixed reviews about the Mythos III center. Is this a major step up from a ProCinema setup?
post #2968 of 5570 Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstrawn12 View Post

Wanted to get some input from Mythos owners. Currently have a Denon 790 and MK2.3 HSU sub. I am looking to purchase the following system:

Fronts: Mythos II
Center: Mythos III
Surrounds: Mythos Gems

I can get this for about $1500. Thoughts on this setup in a 3000^ft room for HT? I have heard mixed reviews about the Mythos III center. Is this a major step up from a ProCinema setup?

Pelly_NV and I both have the Mythos 2 paired with a PC2000. The PC2000 has larger drivers (5.25") than the Mythos 3 (4.5") and the PC2000 utilizes newer technology (BDSS). While the Mythos 3 has "high definition" drivers, I'm not sure they're actually better than the BDSS in the PC2000. I spoke with tech support from Def Tech and they said that in some respects, the PC2000 is better than the Mythos 3, and it's less expensive to boot. They said get the Mythos 3 for aesthetics, but if all you care about is sound quality, then it's not worth the extra money for the Mythos 3.
post #2969 of 5570 Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post

Pelly_NV and I both have the Mythos 2 paired with a PC2000. The PC2000 has larger drivers (5.25") than the Mythos 3 (4.5") and the PC2000 utilizes newer technology (BDSS). While the Mythos 3 has "high definition" drivers, I'm not sure they're actually better than the BDSS in the PC2000. I spoke with tech support from Def Tech and they said that in some respects, the PC2000 is better than the Mythos 3, and it's less expensive to boot. They said get the Mythos 3 for aesthetics, but if all you care about is sound quality, then it's not worth the extra money for the Mythos 3.

Thanks for the info. What are you using for surrounds?
post #2970 of 5570 Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM

How would the Mythos 2 fronts match up with a Mythos 8 center?

My options are to get two Mythos 2 fronts and a PC2000 center or get the Mythos 2 fronts and use a phantom center until I can get a Mythos 8 center.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp8 Tower Loudspeaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Mythos 1 Tower Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos St 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos Sts 120v Supertower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bp7006 120v Tower Speaker Single Right Channel Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 4 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 5 Tower Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center Speaker , Definitive Technology Mythos 3 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Speaker Systems , Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Mythos Xtr 50 On Wall Or Shelf Mounting Ultra Thin Loudspeaker Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page