22Likes

post #2971 of 3429 Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Thought I'd post here since I have some EMPs on the way. The largest floors and center. I bought a new stand also that has a center area that is just big enough for that long 31" beautiful center they make. I agree that they are very stylish. But I won't say for sure until I see them in person. I ordered the red wood design and while I usually avoid wood colored speakers like the plague I think they make it look even better than the blacks. Plus it will sort of match my new expresso styled wood finish stand.

if u think the E56ci is beautiful pairing it with the E55ti is just going to make it gorgeous! add a pair of ES10i10i like some of the guys here and now it's just BLING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3429 Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

if u think the E56ci is beautiful pairing it with the E55ti is just going to make it gorgeous! add a pair of ES10i10i like some of the guys here and now it's just BLING!

I actually don't have room for it to pair/match the front. But I am very very happy with the NSD up tight in the front corner and the klipsch behind the listening position. With this purchase I am just trying to improve my front soundstage to something more my liking.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #2973 of 3429 Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

There is a big sound difference between the two speakers. As you know the klipsch speakers are really bright. I personally think that the klipsch have better bass but the Emps are a better sounding speaker to me. You might see a difference in the trim levels in audyssey due to the lower sensitivity with the Emps. The Emps are very crisp IMO. They sounded great for HT and music. The thing is that you are use to the bright sound from the klipsch and you might have to get adjusted to the more natural sound of the Emps. I bet you will think it is a nice upgrade though and they definitely look better.

I bet it might even sound muffled after listening to klipsch for 2 months. I'll make sure to use them a lot during the 30 day trail period. I'll give it time to break them in too before I decide if I like them or not. Very happy to hear the word crisp. As I still like to have nice clear vibrant sound just a little less fatiguing and more natural sounding dialogue to my ears.

post #2974 of 3429 Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey LS, not entirely sure changing my mids improved SQ, tweeter swap was quite noticeable. I guess my older ears prefer a bit more upper end, lol. I think Gene's Audioholic review suggested a touch more treble would not be objectionable. I believe this could be achieved with much less effort than I did by simply changing the value of the padding resistor on the tweet xover. Of course if I had done that I would probably end up swapping out the iron core inductors and caps for higher quality components which can get pricey quick! They already use good components for the mid-treble where it sonically matters most. Them going further would not be cost effective. Speaker design-cost is always a tradeoff, and at this price point, I am amazed that EMP was able to produce this speaker at this price. IMHO, there is really no other speaker below that magic $1000/pair price point that strikes that balance of sound,looks,and build quality. Having RBH as a parent company and not wasting $$$ on marketing was certainly a factor in how hey did it. I love these things!
Why did I go active? Reasons for me too compelling to not try, and if I had somehow ruined one in the process, I could afford to call them up and order a replacement, lol!
Here is an excellent article by Rod Eliott on active xover. Great read for tech geeks, this guy is a genius!
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
post #2975 of 3429 Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

There is a big sound difference between the two speakers. As you know the klipsch speakers are really bright. I personally think that the klipsch have better bass but the Emps are a better sounding speaker to me. You might see a difference in the trim levels in audyssey due to the lower sensitivity with the Emps. The Emps are very crisp IMO. They sounded great for HT and music. The thing is that you are use to the bright sound from the klipsch and you might have to get adjusted to the more natural sound of the Emps. I bet you will think it is a nice upgrade though and they definitely look better.

You really think the 62s have more bass? The EMPs have 3 6.5" woofers. Do the cerametallic woofers make the difference?

post #2976 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

You really think the 62s have more bass? The EMPs have 3 6.5" woofers. Do the cerametallic woofers make the difference?

Maybe. I didn't have that model. The Emps do not have great bass, but this is me talking and I am a bass fanatic. The emps are super clean though and you will be happy with them. it doesnt matter if they have more bass or not because if you have a sub integrated correctly with them, you will not know the difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #2977 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I feel the EMP's do bass the way any tower that's not a full range...and going to $10,000+ tower should do bass......articulate and controlled. People always say how low their towers go, but 99% of them also run a sub so why should that lower bound really matter THAT much?! No speaker within thousands of these are going to be able to truly run full range. I'd much rather have well controlled bass to 65hz than bloated bass to 50hz. I'm sure the 62's have about the same as the e55's, but the EMP's won't shout at you, make you fatigued with certain material, have a much better midrange and look better in my opinion. That's why you see a lot of people run bookshelves and multiple subs. there is a lot more to it than just the material it's made out of.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #2978 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

I feel the EMP's do bass the way any tower that's not a full range...and going to $10,000+ tower should do bass......articulate and controlled. People always say how low their towers go, but 99% of them also run a sub so why should that lower bound really matter THAT much?! No speaker within thousands of these are going to be able to truly run full range. I'd much rather have well controlled bass to 65hz than bloated bass to 50hz. I'm sure the 62's have about the same as the e55's, but the EMP's won't shout at you, make you fatigued with certain material, have a much better midrange and look better in my opinion. That's why you see a lot of people run bookshelves and multiple subs. there is a lot more to it than just the material it's made out of.

I have 2 pretty good subs and XT32 so my bass sounds awesome. I agree I want my towers to beable to give me good midbass punch. That's all that's important to me. I'll get them in early next week so I'll be able to compare. Maybe I will post my opinions comparing the 2 models after some extensive testing. Daren who I talked to told me he thinks their towers bass is a bit better than the 62s. Guess I'll find out soon. Thanks for the opinion guys. I really am looking forward to these.

post #2979 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I fully agree that the bass on the towers is lacking. If I was looking for fronts that I wanted run in a 2.0 setup, the bass issues likely would have been serious enough to keep me away from EMP. That being said, I've got my towers paired up with a SVS PC12+ and it sounds fantastic. Poor bottom end on a otherwise great speaker is one of the easier problems to fix.

I also agree with above poster, I'm glad that EMP recognized this weakness and decided not to push on the bass. I would much rather have a speaker that has clean bass that rolls off at 65hz, than one that attempts to play down to 40hz and gets sloppy. These speakers know their limits and work within them. In my honest opinion they are a great purchase at under $1000 for the pair. I've always wondered how much a pair of the e55 towers would run if they were to be sold in a place like Best Buy.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #2980 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

I've always wondered how much a pair of the e55 towers would run if they were to be sold in a place like Best Buy.

I don't even want to guess. I'd just say too much. Man I'm so glad I graduated from the guy several years ago that bought everything at a best buy or circuit city. Then again, the sound scene has evolved with me. Internet direct companies and the affordability of great mid range speakers has probably improved greatly since I bought my first HDTV and HTIB.

post #2981 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably a mark up of 250%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Leon Phelps
post #2982 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

I fully agree that the bass on the towers is lacking. If I was looking for fronts that I wanted run in a 2.0 setup, the bass issues likely would have been serious enough to keep me away from EMP. That being said, I've got my towers paired up with a SVS PC12+ and it sounds fantastic. Poor bottom end on a otherwise great speaker is one of the easier problems to fix.

I also agree with above poster, I'm glad that EMP recognized this weakness and decided not to push on the bass. I would much rather have a speaker that has clean bass that rolls off at 65hz, than one that attempts to play down to 40hz and gets sloppy. These speakers know their limits and work within them. In my honest opinion they are a great purchase at under $1000 for the pair. I've always wondered how much a pair of the e55 towers would run if they were to be sold in a place like Best Buy.

Reality is that these little woofers being used in today's slim enclosures just can't reach low - even if you use 2 or 3 per side. It is the price people pay for having speakers with a small footprint. You have the right idea. You simply integrate a sub into the sound field and all is well. It makes the EMP towers sound more like $3000 per pair speakers but with better bass. It is all in how you integrate the sub.

This subject reminds me of an old pair of huge VMPS speakers I had once. They had 2 12" woofers and a 12" radiator on each side. The systems sounded quite dark and, in the end I tired of them and replaced them with speakers that had 2 10" woofers per side and those worked far better for me. The problem with the VMPS is that I couldn't turn down the darkness. Even trying to EQ out some of the bass, still left that passive radiator doing its thing. With a sub, you just turn it down a little. It is a better system because it is a configurable and adjustable system.
post #2983 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Anyone using a projector as part of their theater set up? I am looking to upgrade the video of my theater room and have no idea what to look for in a good projector...and reluctant to look like an idiot on the projector board of this forum. What the heck, I was the idiot asking if Pyle pro speakers were any good a couple years ago on this page!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #2984 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Anyone using a projector as part of their theater set up? I am looking to upgrade the video of my theater room and have no idea what to look for in a good projector...and reluctant to look like an idiot on the projector board of this forum. What the heck, I was the idiot asking if Pyle pro speakers were any good a couple years ago on this page!

Depends on your budget. The BenQ W1070 is a very good option at $800-$1000. You can spend a lot more, brands like Sony and Epson are good to look at.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #2985 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everyone has to start somewhere! No shame in asking questions. The people that know the answers were the same as you at one point.

Pyle actually has a decent IB sub haha. It's been used a few times in car setups with some success

post #2986 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A lot of factors involved here. Price range, lighting in room, 3d, video games, throw distance, size of screen. After those have been answered I can help you out.

- Leon Phelps
post #2987 of 3429 Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Room is in a basement, so as dark as I want. Was going to ceiling mount the projector, about 12 feet from the wall (room is 12 x 22 ish) from a support beam that is at about 9 foot from the floor. Screen size, well the wall is 12 foot long and 10 foot high...

budget, not sure, but would like to spend 1500 on projector and screen. however, if someone told me that WON'T Get decent quality, 2-2,500 could happen. 3D yes, games, no!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #2988 of 3429 Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Everyone has to start somewhere! No shame in asking questions. The people that know the answers were the same as you at one point.

Pyle actually has a decent IB sub haha. It's been used a few times in car setups with some success

haha! I used to run 2 12" Pyles in my 91 Geo Storm back-in-the-days! They didn't last too long which than were replaced with Cerwin Vegas Stealth Series.
post #2989 of 3429 Old 02-28-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I always was a fan of Cerwin Vega. Loved their subs back in the day and their pro audio is pretty good IMO.
SumnerK likes this.

- Leon Phelps
post #2990 of 3429 Old 03-01-2014, 05:08 PM

so just wondering why most people run projector's for home theatre in the basement...cost? why not get an LED 70" OR BIGGER? I only ask because whenever I go to my friends house seems like just watching regular TV its still dark in the room. hard to just conversate with everyone when the room is half dark.
post #2991 of 3429 Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

so just wondering why most people run projector's for home theatre in the basement...cost? why not get an LED 70" OR BIGGER? I only ask because whenever I go to my friends house seems like just watching regular TV its still dark in the room. hard to just conversate with everyone when the room is half dark.

Projection gives the movie theater feeling and is significantly larger then a 70 inch.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #2992 of 3429 Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheaper, MUCH larger, image quality is still very very good on the better projectors (w/ good screens), etc. Our next house will definitely have a theater room and it's going to be crazy in there. The wifey actually said she wants a theater room at dinner tonight lol. Told me to go crazy with it too! What a girl biggrin.gif

post #2993 of 3429 Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Projectors had a huge advantage when I started 11 years ago. A 42" plasma was $10,000 and wasn't even hd.

Now you can get a 55" 4k set for $600 at Sears.

I'd say the projector business is heading the way of plasma. They make less and less sense each year. 2 years from now will everyone be wearing oculus rift headsets?

Don't get me wrong, I'm using a projector right now!
post #2994 of 3429 Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Hoping you're not correct ... projectors still have an advantage in the Additive Light vs Subtractive Light color quality issue over any kind of panel.
post #2995 of 3429 Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Projectors had a huge advantage when I started 11 years ago. A 42" plasma was $10,000 and wasn't even hd.

I'd say the projector business is heading the way of plasma. They make less and less sense each year. 2 years from now will everyone be wearing oculus rift headsets?

But who wants a 55 inch Tv smile.gif

I can't see ever going back to a led in my room unless the come out with a 120 inch for under 2k that has a nice picture, even then probably not. I don't think they can make an acoustically transparent flat panel tv smile.gif

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #2996 of 3429 Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Projectors are a lot of trouble for normal people. Tvs get bigger each year, BF pricing of $999 for 70" screens is enough to stop most people from getting a projector. Thus there will be less projector manufacturers. Mitsubishi bailed out last year, Benq has been dumping a very good projector. As I said, projectors are going the way of plasma.

I can envision sitting very close to an inexpensive 85" glasses free 3d 4k tv. There's generally only 2 of us watching. These sets are coming this year.... The Chinese are out to dominate the market.
post #2997 of 3429 Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Projectors are a lot of trouble for normal people. Tvs get bigger each year, BF pricing of $999 for 70" screens is enough to stop most people from getting a projector. Thus there will be less projector manufacturers. Mitsubishi bailed out last year, Benq has been dumping a very good projector. As I said, projectors are going the way of plasma.

I can envision sitting very close to an inexpensive 85" glasses free 3d 4k tv. There's generally only 2 of us watching. These sets are coming this year.... The Chinese are out to dominate the market.

Didn't Mitsubishi quit making TV's even before they quit making projectors though?

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #2998 of 3429 Old 03-03-2014, 05:29 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

But who wants a 55 inch Tv smile.gif

I can't see ever going back to a led in my room unless the come out with a 120 inch for under 2k that has a nice picture, even then probably not. I don't think they can make an acoustically transparent flat panel tv smile.gif

I do. I sit 11 feet away and the 55 is just about ideal for me.
post #2999 of 3429 Old 03-03-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

That's a stupid low price for a 4k TV... but the quality seems questionable. I am itching to upgrade my TV but I might try and hold out for more affordable 4k sets.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3000 of 3429 Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are projectors a lot of trouble for normal people?

Projectors are better than ever right now! Maybe Mitsubishi couldn't keep up with the top projector brands and decided to cut their loses. Go ahead and get that cheap Chinese TV and waste your money. There was a comparison between a cheap 4k tv and a plasma and the plasma actually had a better picture. I saw the differences so you will get what you paid for.

- Leon Phelps
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page