**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 103 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82 View Post

Would it be worth it to buy used to save about $400 off the new set (towers and center)? I've never bought used before and the thought of not seeing/hearing in person is nerve racking and shipping is always a concern when shipping such large towers. Does anyone recall BFor Memorial Day prices of towers and center?

Two Black Fridays ago, I got my towers for $470 shipped, last years sale was not as low, but still around $550-600 I believe. The center this past BF was $320.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

...Personally I think the e5ci sounds bad. I have both center speakers and there is a night and day difference between the e5ci and the e56ci speaker.

In what way do you think the E5Ci sounds "bad"? I will have one coming fairly soon along with the bookshelves (E5Bi) and your comment is making me nervous. I believe the E5Ci has the same drivers as the bookshelves, which seem to be highly regarded.

Of course I'll judge for myself anyway, but I'm hoping there isn't any real deficiency with the E5Ci.
StevenA01 is offline  
post #3063 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post

In what way do you think the E5Ci sounds "bad"? I will have one coming fairly soon along with the bookshelves (E5Bi) and your comment is making me nervous. I believe the E5Ci has the same drivers as the bookshelves, which seem to be highly regarded.

Of course I'll judge for myself anyway, but I'm hoping there isn't any real deficiency with the E5Ci.

I think the smaller center will be appropriate with the bookshelves.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #3064 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Member
 
wrunow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: York, Maine
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have both of these centers also.

I don't think the e5ci sounds bad, just different. The smaller center is a 2 way and will probably be a great match for the bookshelves vs. either of the two towers which are both 3 way designs.

I upgraded to the e56ci also, but there is nothing in the sound of the e5 that I would categorize as bad, it's just a lot less speaker.
wrunow is offline  
post #3065 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK, I feel a lot better now. biggrin.gif I'll report back when I have my own impressions (pun unintended!)
StevenA01 is offline  
post #3066 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Member
 
tlee82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Transmaniacon,

How did the E55Ti sound without the center? Was there a dramatic difference for movies/tv with the center? Also, would using different brand of surrounds be ok? I have a pair of P363. Want to make this my HT for a long time
tlee82 is offline  
post #3067 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82 View Post

Transmaniacon,

How did the E55Ti sound without the center? Was there a dramatic difference for movies/tv with the center? Also, would using different brand of surrounds be ok? I have a pair of P363. Want to make this my HT for a long time

One of the best features of these speakers is their huge sound stage. Off-axis response is great and they really create a wide image. I used them without a center for a good while, but finally added one when funds permitted, and there was a difference, but not night and day. Things like dialog and details were clearer, but a phantom center works very well with the towers.

And yes mixing surrounds would be fine, it's just important to match the front three.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #3068 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post

In what way do you think the E5Ci sounds "bad"? I will have one coming fairly soon along with the bookshelves (E5Bi) and your comment is making me nervous. I believe the E5Ci has the same drivers as the bookshelves, which seem to be highly regarded.

Of course I'll judge for myself anyway, but I'm hoping there isn't any real deficiency with the E5Ci.

Dialog was the biggest difference! Unless there was something wrong with my e5ci center, I was less than happy with it. The e56ci on the other hand is a very nice center. No issues with that at all!
Pain Infliction is online now  
post #3069 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Dialog was the biggest difference! Unless there was something wrong with my e5ci center, I was less than happy with it. The e56ci on the other hand is a very nice center. No issues with that at all!

OK, thanks. I'll soon find out, anyway!
StevenA01 is offline  
post #3070 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post

OK, thanks. I'll soon find out, anyway!

You may be happy with it. That is all that matters, but if not, you can send it back because of their great return policy.
Pain Infliction is online now  
post #3071 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Member
 
moussaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post


One of the best features of these speakers is their huge sound stage. Off-axis response is great and they really create a wide image. I used them without a center for a good while, but finally added one when funds permitted, and there was a difference, but not night and day. Things like dialog and details were clearer, but a phantom center works very well with the towers.

And yes mixing surrounds would be fine, it's just important to match the front three.

I feel the same way. I watch a lot of stereo content from my HTPC such as live Dota2 streams that have commentators talking throughout. I've actually walked up to my center a few times because I swear there is sound coming out of it haha.


Panasonic 60VT60 | Denon x2000 | EMP E55Ti | E56Ci | E55Wi | PSA XS30
moussaka is offline  
post #3072 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by moussaka View Post

I feel the same way. I watch a lot of stereo content from my HTPC such as live Dota2 streams that have commentators talking throughout. I've actually walked up to my center a few times because I swear there is sound coming out of it haha.

biggrin.gif

Has anyone heard anything about the new sub they are working on?

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #3073 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The larger EMP center has two 6.5 inch woofers, on top of the tweeter and 2 5/1/4 midrange drivers the smaller one has. Of course, the larger center has more output and can hit lower. By all accounts, the EMP speakers really excell at midrange and the two centers have exactly the same midrange drivers.
Pain, I wonder if there was something wrong with your smaller center. Dialog is crystal clear on mine, and plenty loud! My only complaint is that it sometime struggles, at high volume only, on lows when content is moving across the front stage!

Btw I had the chance to compare a SVS Pb1000 with my EMP 10i10i the other day in my room and while I won't say my EMP10i10i was better, it was every bit as good! The SVS hit lower for sure, but both produced good clean output very high volume...so much so that things were starting to shake around my house!
ousooner2 and Transmaniacon like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #3074 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

...Dialog is crystal clear on mine, and plenty loud! My only complaint is that it sometime struggles, at high volume only, on lows when content is moving across the front stage!

How large is your room? Mine is only 11 by 13 by 7.5 with an opening to a dining room, so I'm hoping I can get it pretty loud without pushing it very hard.
StevenA01 is offline  
post #3075 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 257
my room is larger....it use to be two small rooms, till I tore out a wall. 12 x 25 ft, with 8 ft ceiling. Never had any trouble hearing dialog with my center, and only once, i think a scene from Avatar, did I notice the center have some trouble holding the lows.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #3076 of 4393 Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

my room is larger....it use to be two small rooms, till I tore out a wall. 12 x 25 ft, with 8 ft ceiling. Never had any trouble hearing dialog with my center, and only once, i think a scene from Avatar, did I notice the center have some trouble holding the lows.

Got it, thanks.
StevenA01 is offline  
post #3077 of 4393 Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post


Btw I had the chance to compare a SVS Pb1000 with my EMP 10i10i the other day in my room and while I won't say my EMP10i10i was better, it was every bit as good! The SVS hit lower for sure, but both produced good clean output very high volume...so much so that things were starting to shake around my house!

Good to hear. I know the PB-1000 is praised as the best sub under $500 so picking up the e1010i for $250/ea is quite amazing. I'm still amazed at what 2 of them can do. They can get VERY loud, but sound incredible while doing it. SO much better than the Klipsch rw-12d's which sounded boxy, peaky (boomy due to that peaky-ness)

On the topic of the e56ci, love it. Sometimes it draws a little too much attention to itself and I can't figure out why. I can't really get it to disappear like the e55's. Possibly just the horizontal design aspect of it. I dunno.


On another topic, what's everyone listening to these days? My musical tastes are pretty eclectic and I'm always looking to expand to artists I might not have come across before.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #3078 of 4393 Old 03-30-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
St. Vincent. We're going to see her concert on the 12th.
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #3079 of 4393 Old 03-30-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Sooner, my exact thoughts as well on the Klipsch vs EMP subs! The EMP sub was much smoother and more accurate than the RW12, which like the SVS might hit lower. And man, both the SVS and Klipsch subs are damn ugly...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #3080 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I would have liked to have heard the 10i10i. I heard that for the money it was a pretty decent value. I've got the SVS PC12+ and can verify that it isn't exactly what I would call a pretty sub, however I love the quality from it. EMP does such a fantastic job at building great looking products, you really realize it when you go out and buy something from another brand.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
AllenA07 is offline  
post #3081 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
SumnerK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Akron, Oh
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On the subject of the E56 center, just had to open mine up to track down a rattle. Turned out the ferrite core of the crossover inductor was loose, drove me crazy tracking it down. What really dismayed me the most was seeing the mid driver. I remember reading that Emp shields the drivers in their center spkrs but reasonably assumed it was the same driver as towers with shield added. I was wrong! The first giveaway was the weight (or lack of). Magnet is about half the size of the tower mid. Why would they do that? Even more dismaying was when I sent a 1kHz test tone thru both drivers. The tower mid gave me a reading of 91db at 1 foot, same signal thru the center mid gave a reading of only 86 db. I always thought this center sounded a bit subdued for my taste. After running Audyssey I always need to bump it up 3db. Even more puzzling is that the woofers appear to be padded down with resistors. As time permits, I plan to map out the xover see the big picture. Love the towers, but so far unimpressed with this center aside from is good looks. I did get a great deal on it and a second set of towers from another forum member but if I had paid full price it would go back.

Farley1 likes this.
SumnerK is offline  
post #3082 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Member
 
ben805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ordered a pair of E55Ti's, an E56Ci and a pair of E55Wi' surround, How do these compare to Axiom and Infinity Primus?
ben805 is offline  
post #3083 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Can tell you about axiom, but I have compared them to infinity primus p363 and IMHO, the EMPs are better (I own the e5ti, so the smaller tower).

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #3084 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 06:02 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,723
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerK View Post

On the subject of the E56 center, just had to open mine up to track down a rattle. Turned out the ferrite core of the crossover inductor was loose, drove me crazy tracking it down. What really dismayed me the most was seeing the mid driver. I remember reading that Emp shields the drivers in their center spkrs but reasonably assumed it was the same driver as towers with shield added. I was wrong! The first giveaway was the weight (or lack of). Magnet is about half the size of the tower mid. Why would they do that? Even more dismaying was when I sent a 1kHz test tone thru both drivers. The tower mid gave me a reading of 91db at 1 foot, same signal thru the center mid gave a reading of only 86 db. I always thought this center sounded a bit subdued for my taste. After running Audyssey I always need to bump it up 3db. Even more puzzling is that the woofers appear to be padded down with resistors. As time permits, I plan to map out the xover see the big picture. Love the towers, but so far unimpressed with this center aside from is good looks. I did get a great deal on it and a second set of towers from another forum member but if I had paid full price it would go back.


Might just be different production runs or different driver manufacturer. I'm not so sure I would be bothered by anything you said other than the rattle that caused the trip inside the speaker in the first place. The fact that the speakers have different output is not surprising at all.. You can't expect speakers with different driver complements to perform exactly the same. I have my center channel boosted by 6 db in my system. I prefer it that way. I never liked the way the movie production people bury the dialog in the sound track. 3 db is a pretty minor adjustment in my view.
FMW is online now  
post #3085 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Newbie
 
SumnerK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Akron, Oh
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Agree about movie soundtracks but my reason for posting is that I believe most of us who own Emp speakers are expecting the SAME driver components in this series, especially considering externally they are identical. A 5db difference in driver output is huge. Using the Dayton DATS measurement also confirmed the TS parameters are quite different for whatever reason. If it was for cost reasons, I would have preferred Emp had decided to forego the shielding (pointless these days, unless you are into retro CRT's) and used identical drivers which from an audio standpoint is far more critical.
SumnerK is offline  
post #3086 of 4393 Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
lsturbointeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fremont, Ohio
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My personal opinion after having the E56ci for about a year and a half is I feel a bigger stage presence. Whether it be movies or music. Im sure if I had the smaller E5ci I would notice the difference. Balanced well with the E55ti's and front heights my center sound stage just sounds complete in every aspect. They all just compliment each other as a whole. Im no expert but I do know from listening and reading through all the different forums I take the advice from people and tweak what I can until what I hear sounds good to me. I stand behind my Emp's and never once regret buying them. My home movie experience with the Emp's has got me pretty much waiting for all movies to come out in blue ray than actually watching them out in the theatres because I feel my Emp's sound that much better. Thats just my opinion.
lsturbointeg is offline  
post #3087 of 4393 Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Newbie
 
SumnerK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Akron, Oh
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Actually, I would not call the SQ of my center bad, just wanted to share my findings since I have received so much info from the forum over the years. I do love my towers, so much that I picked up another pair, even though I'm not really sure what to do with them yet:cool: Just a sucker for a sexy speaker I guess! Since my first pair is 'slightly' modded, I saw it as a chance to do some back to back listening tests soon, then possibly try to convince my better half that they are needed as surrounds:eek: I guess I am looking at my findings on the center as an excuse to tinker. Its really a rewarding hobby and I know a lot of folks here feel the same about getting the most out of their setups. Right now I see the E56 as a solid V8. She runs smooth but can't help but wonder what a well chosen cam, intake, and headers could do!
SumnerK is offline  
post #3088 of 4393 Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,723
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerK View Post

Agree about movie soundtracks but my reason for posting is that I believe most of us who own Emp speakers are expecting the SAME driver components in this series, especially considering externally they are identical. A 5db difference in driver output is huge. Using the Dayton DATS measurement also confirmed the TS parameters are quite different for whatever reason. If it was for cost reasons, I would have preferred Emp had decided to forego the shielding (pointless these days, unless you are into retro CRT's) and used identical drivers which from an audio standpoint is far more critical.

It is a matter of perspective. What you call "far more critical" I call easier to match. What you call huge in driver output I call minor and easily adjustable. After 1/2 a century in audio I tend to take things with less of a feeling of emergency and catastrophe than some folks. Glad you like the speakers system. I think the EMP Impressions are impressive to say the least.
FMW is online now  
post #3089 of 4393 Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Interesting SumnerK. I'm going to have to open mine up to see now. I side with you mostly on the fact that you'll want the same drivers in all your speakers (front 3 at least) to have the most coherent sound, although it's possible they managed to create damn near the same sound with the midrange driver on the right with different t/s parameters. Honestly, if it bugs you or just for the fact of knowing, send them and e-mail or call them. Brian would likely tell you why they did that, etc.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #3090 of 4393 Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Hockeypucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Well after having read this entire thread I purchased 5 e55Ti speakers in black. I emailed Brian and asked about b stock so I paid $1217 for all 5 towers. Currently listening to a Bach Orchestra on Blu-ray on two in my living room. The other 3 are going behind an AT screen in the dedicated theater downstairs. Currently in the designing/construction phase.

These are easily the best speakers I have ever owned (minus my 2 SVS PB-2000 subs) and I'm not getting any work done on the house while they're playing ha.My living room has hardwood floors and needs some treatment but even without it they sound infinitely better than the cheap Polk 75T they replaced.

I'm very big on movies (have over 900 Blu-ray titles) so that will be the majority of what I use these for but the two upstairs will be used with a pioneer vsx 921 for some two channel listening. Theater will have an Onkyo 818 and Emotiva XPA-3 so I'm really looking forward to hearing them sing in a sealed, treated room. But early impressions with these is quite high and I would absolutely recommend them to anyone on the fence.

I listen to almost all forms of music (aside from country, yuck) but have so far only played some classical and Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack (which was phenomenal btw). Popped in a few scenes from Iron Man 2 last night and cranked it. Shortly after that I went to bed with zero ear ringing and not a hint of a headache like I got with the Polks. Ear fatigue doesn't exist with these speakers and I love their neutrality/clarity.

For $243 a piece I feel I ripped off EMP ha. They are phenomenal and I'm very happy with this purchase even though they didn't come with the 30 day in home trial. This thread helped assuage my "unease" of buying something I couldn't return. Thank you all for some good reading. I'll be posting my theater once it's complete over the next few months. Really hoping 3 of these will truly shine behind the 158" screen smile.gif
Hockeypucks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off