**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 106 - AVS Forum
First ... 104  105  106 107  108  ... Last
Speakers > **Official EMP Owner's Thread**
FMW's Avatar FMW 01:08 PM 04-20-2014
I use an Extech SPL meter to measure the SPL and a Fluke digital multimeter to measure current and voltage at the speaker terminal. Any test signal will do. I use the signal generator in REW. This is good enough for a reasonable approximation and is certainly more accurate that a calculator that can't calculate everything.

Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 01:23 PM 04-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I use an Extech SPL meter to measure the SPL and a Fluke digital multimeter to measure current and voltage at the speaker terminal. Any test signal will do. I use the signal generator in REW. This is good enough for a reasonable approximation and is certainly more accurate that a calculator that can't calculate everything.

Which Fluke do you have? The Three different models that I use on a daily basis for my line of work do not have amp measuring capabilities. There is a dedicated amp meter for measuring current that I use.
FMW's Avatar FMW 01:28 PM 04-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Which Fluke do you have? The Three different models that I use on a daily basis for my line of work do not have amp measuring capabilities. There is a dedicated amp meter for measuring current that I use.

Model 77. It measures AC voltage and current. That's all I need.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 01:32 PM 04-20-2014
you could probably use the resistance measuring ability too.
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 04:06 PM 04-21-2014
Alright guys here's what I'm running into...I'm getting a buzzing sound from my E56ci left furthest woofer. If I place my finger on the foam surround it goes away...any ideas? Loose wire maybe?
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 07:03 PM 04-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

Alright guys here's what I'm running into...I'm getting a buzzing sound from my E56ci left furthest woofer. If I place my finger on the foam surround it goes away...any ideas? Loose wire maybe?
Hard to diagnose over the forum but if it is just one driver it is more than likely internal. Check the wires and if it is good then it will more than likely be the driver. There is a possibility it could be the connection coming off of the crossover.
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 08:21 PM 04-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Hard to diagnose over the forum but if it is just one driver it is more than likely internal. Check the wires and if it is good then it will more than likely be the driver. There is a possibility it could be the connection coming off of the crossover.

Are they soldered connection or just connectors you think? Guess I'll have to open and see.
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 08:23 PM 04-21-2014
Quote:

Are they soldered connection or just connectors you think? Guess I'll have to open and see.

If I remember correctly the drivers have connectors but the crossover I'm not sure.
Thermobaric's Avatar Thermobaric 09:21 PM 04-21-2014
Hey guys. I have a pair of E5Tis and a E5Ci center, along with a HSU STF-2. They are all boxed up now as we moved last year and are in a rental. Our new home is being built, which includes a 17'x17'x8' bonus room. I've decided to go with a 7.1 system for the first time. My last system had the EMPs up front with in-ceiling surrounds.

My AV installer said they would install whatever speakers but offered in-ceilings or in-wall speakers for the L/R surrounds and the rears. For this setup, I'd like to avoid in-ceiling or in-wall speakers. Brian @ EMP suggested the E55Wis. However, I'm not sure about bipoles. I've never owned any. He also suggested the E5Bis for surround duty.

My question is if I stuck with EMPs, would the E5Bis make good surrounds? Also, what about rears? Two more pairs of E5Bis or maybe E3bs? I'm also looking at non-EMP bookshelves, such as the Boston Acoustic A25s. Thanks!
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 08:31 AM 04-22-2014
Quote:

They're not soldered on, just female spade connectors like what are on most speakers, in most cars, etc. The drivers are simple to remove and check so definitely do that. Be careful though! Check the wiring on the driver and make sure it's snug. If it is, I'd play something that you know will make the woofer make the sound you're hearing and listen for it while holding the driver (or looking at it outside of the enclosure). If you don't hear it then it's obviously something loose on the crossover or something internal to the enclosure rattling causing the buzz. Don't forget to check the banana plug plate on the back to make sure it's secure also. Those things can cause small rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post

Hey guys. I have a pair of E5Tis and a E5Ci center, along with a HSU STF-2. They are all boxed up now as we moved last year and are in a rental. Our new home is being built, which includes a 17'x17'x8' bonus room. I've decided to go with a 7.1 system for the first time. My last system had the EMPs up front with in-ceiling surrounds.

My AV installer said they would install whatever speakers but offered in-ceilings or in-wall speakers for the L/R surrounds and the rears. For this setup, I'd like to avoid in-ceiling or in-wall speakers. Brian @ EMP suggested the E55Wis. However, I'm not sure about bipoles. I've never owned any. He also suggested the E5Bis for surround duty.

My question is if I stuck with EMPs, would the E5Bis make good surrounds? Also, what about rears? Two more pairs of E5Bis or maybe E3bs? I'm also looking at non-EMP bookshelves, such as the Boston Acoustic A25s. Thanks!

The e5's make great surrounds biggrin.gif Can't comment on the E55wi, but it seems there are a few here that have them and really enjoy them. Have you thought about stepping up from the E5/e5c to the E55/e56c? I think it'd be a welcome change in that size of a room
Thermobaric's Avatar Thermobaric 08:53 AM 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

They're not soldered on, just female spade connectors like what are on most speakers, in most cars, etc. The drivers are simple to remove and check so definitely do that. Be careful though! Check the wiring on the driver and make sure it's snug. If it is, I'd play something that you know will make the woofer make the sound you're hearing and listen for it while holding the driver (or looking at it outside of the enclosure). If you don't hear it then it's obviously something loose on the crossover or something internal to the enclosure rattling causing the buzz. Don't forget to check the banana plug plate on the back to make sure it's secure also. Those things can cause small rattles
The e5's make great surrounds biggrin.gif Can't comment on the E55wi, but it seems there are a few here that have them and really enjoy them. Have you thought about stepping up from the E5/e5c to the E55/e56c? I think it'd be a welcome change in that size of a room

Yep. E55s/E56c are on the list! With a new house build, we have to "balance" wants. wink.gif. But yes, that has already been communicated to the wife. Also, although I love the STF-2, I'd also like to get a second one or replace the current one with something that goes a bit lower. So would you use E5Bis for the side AND rear surrounds? Thanks for the response!
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 01:00 PM 04-22-2014
When I talked to Brian at Emptek regarding surrounds he really recommended the E55wi's over the E55bi's. The E55wi's give you the wrap around effect in the back and I'm telling you cannot pinpoint where it's coming from. Really thought about picking up another pair for side surrounds. I'm glad I made that choice. I've already had bookshelves speakers for rear surrounds and I definitely can tell the difference.
Thermobaric's Avatar Thermobaric 07:37 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:

When I talked to Brian at Emptek regarding surrounds he really recommended the E55wi's over the E55bi's. The E55wi's give you the wrap around effect in the back and I'm telling you cannot pinpoint where it's coming from. Really thought about picking up another pair for side surrounds. I'm glad I made that choice. I've already had bookshelves speakers for rear surrounds and I definitely can tell the difference.

Yeah I need to have another discussion with him as well lol. I could get 2 pairs of E5Bis for one pair of E55Wis. So I want to make triple sure this would be the right fit (can't be 100% sure without setting it up and listening).

Is your system a 5.1 or 7.1? You mentioned a wrap around effect. How would that interact with the rears in my 7.1 set up? As I said, I have zero experience with either bipoles or diploles. I've always had monos. Also, would E5Bi's be too much for the rears if I had E55Wi's for the sides? Should I just get their smaller 3" speakers for the rears?
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 10:21 AM 04-23-2014
I don't know anything about dipoles/bipoles

FMW's Avatar FMW 10:43 AM 04-23-2014
I have the dipole surrounds. While I think worrying about whether there is a meaningful or improved difference in sound between the bookshelf models and dipoles is much ado about nothing, the dipoles do work just fine. I used them to replace a pair of near field recording monitors as surrounds and they have performed competently. Better sounding? Probably not. I view surrounds as fairly unimportant and haven't worried about it. The one thing I can tell you is that the dipole surround makes a better center channel than the small Impressions center if you are using the E55 towers. They definitely have better timbre matching than the small center.
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 08:20 PM 04-23-2014
I got this from just a search regarding bipole speakers. In bipoles, the two sets of drivers are in phase with each other, while in dipoles, they are out of phase, which creates a null region between the two sets of drivers. The goal with both designs is to create a diffuse soundfield with much less localization in the surround channels, which matched the diffuse nature of the mix in those channels.

Really, the E55wi's are just like having a pair of E55bi's in one speaker box. 2 woofers 2 tweeters.

Just like FMW said, whether it's better sounding? Who knows...what might sound good to me might not sound good to you. It's really preference.

lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 08:39 PM 04-23-2014
Quote:

Is your system a 5.1 or 7.1? You mentioned a wrap around effect. How would that interact with the rears in my 7.1 set up? As I said, I have zero experience with either bipoles or diploles. I've always had monos. Also, would E5Bi's be too much for the rears if I had E55Wi's for the sides? Should I just get their smaller 3" speakers for the rears?

I'm currently running a 7.1 setup. I decided to leave my front heights running DTS NEO X or Dolby DPLIIz since my E55wi's rear surround give me the impression of having side surrounds because of the bipole design.
Is it overkill? To each their own...I like it because I love audio. If it makes watching movies more enjoyable than why not.

My next upgrade is definitely a 7.2. Really want to run dual subs like some of the guys here. If Emptek doesn't have anything in works of replacing the es10i10i I might look into the SVS Line.
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 08:58 PM 04-23-2014
So I was wondering if I'm the only one doing this but when I watch movies my E55ti's on my AVR are set to small and saved under memory 1 in my MCAAC but when I listen to music I have the E55ti's set to "LARGE" because it enables my Klipsch 12" sub. What's weird is if I set it to "SMALL" the Sub is disabled. Really not a problem just curious if anyone else sees this?
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 05:31 AM 04-24-2014
Quote:

So I was wondering if I'm the only one doing this but when I watch movies my E55ti's on my AVR are set to small and saved under memory 1 in my MCAAC but when I listen to music I have the E55ti's set to "LARGE" because it enables my Klipsch 12" sub. What's weird is if I set it to "SMALL" the Sub is disabled. Really not a problem just curious if anyone else sees this?

Maybe you have to go in and make sure it is sending bass to the sub? I am pretty sure I can turn the sub on or off with Audyssey, regardless of what I set the speakers too. My speakers are always set to small with the sub active, the only time they play full range is in pure direct mode.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 05:34 AM 04-24-2014
Quote:

I'm currently running a 7.1 setup. I decided to leave my front heights running DTS NEO X or Dolby DPLIIz since my E55wi's rear surround give me the impression of having side surrounds because of the bipole design.
Is it overkill? To each their own...I like it because I love audio. If it makes watching movies more enjoyable than why not.

My next upgrade is definitely a 7.2. Really want to run dual subs like some of the guys here. If Emptek doesn't have anything in works of replacing the es10i10i I might look into the SVS Line.

EMP currently is working on a successor to the es1010i, they haven't released any details but I would imagine it is coming soon. They had them on a big discount for last year's Black Friday, and I would wager that was to clear them out because shortly after they were sold out and discontinued. AFAIK $250 for a es1010i was the lowest they have ever been. I could definitely see them competing in the $400-$500 range with a new sub, perhaps something with a bigger driver than can get down to 20Hz or less would be great. I would like to see them offer a ported and sealed variant like SVS, so buyers can choose based on their needs.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 05:39 AM 04-24-2014
Quote:

I got this from just a search regarding bipole speakers. In bipoles, the two sets of drivers are in phase with each other, while in dipoles, they are out of phase, which creates a null region between the two sets of drivers. The goal with both designs is to create a diffuse soundfield with much less localization in the surround channels, which matched the diffuse nature of the mix in those channels.

Really, the E55wi's are just like having a pair of E55bi's in one speaker box. 2 woofers 2 tweeters.

Just like FMW said, whether it's better sounding? Who knows...what might sound good to me might not sound good to you. It's really preference.

THX recommends using bipoles for side surrounds, and direct firing speakers for rear surrounds to best utilize their cinema modes. I haven't heard any bipoles yet, but don't really have the ideal room for them right now. I could see bipoles being advantageous in a theater with multiple rows of seating, as they have a wider response axis.
Farley1's Avatar Farley1 06:20 AM 04-24-2014
Quote:

So you are watching movies with the sub disabled? That sounds like a big problem to me. 

It sounds like something is amiss in our Pioneer/your settings.

What are the crossover frequencies set to (when the speakers are on small)?

Thermobaric's Avatar Thermobaric 09:14 AM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

THX recommends using bipoles for side surrounds, and direct firing speakers for rear surrounds to best utilize their cinema modes. I haven't heard any bipoles yet, but don't really have the ideal room for them right now. I could see bipoles being advantageous in a theater with multiple rows of seating, as they have a wider response axis.

Your comment about multiple rows is something that I'm pondering with my decision. I'll have a 17x17 room, but will not have multiple rows as I don't want the back row to be up against the wall. Since I'd like to have a 7.1 system, that would be counterproductive. So is the general consensus that if you do not have multiple rows of seating that bipole side speakers aren't really the best solution?
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 09:21 AM 04-24-2014
Quote:

Your comment about multiple rows is something that I'm pondering with my decision. I'll have a 17x17 room, but will not have multiple rows as I don't want the back row to be up against the wall. Since I'd like to have a 7.1 system, that would be counterproductive. So is the general consensus that if you do not have multiple rows of seating that bipole side speakers aren't really the best solution?

Well, I would think of it more like this. With multiple rows, directional monopole speakers aren't as ideal because you have such a wide area to cover, bipoles radiate sound better and would probably be more ideal. If you can have 2 sets of monopoles, then that is an option and often used in deeper theaters.

In your case, I think either option would work. I would probably give Brian a call at EMP and see what his thoughts are, I have a feeling though the bipole sound is more of a preference than anything.
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 02:04 PM 04-24-2014
Does anyone know where one can buy some good "theater seating" that won't break the bank? I have installed my screen, still need to mount my projector (photos yet to come) and currently just have an older couch in the room. Unfortunately, at the optimal sitting position, I have a support beam...so what i really need is individual chairs to sit on either side of the support beam. I have looked at a bunch of web sites, too many to name...but would really like to find a couple comformtable chairs (and NOT full blown recliners) that would be in the 500/per or less category.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 04:40 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Does anyone know where one can buy some good "theater seating" that won't break the bank? I have installed my screen, still need to mount my projector (photos yet to come) and currently just have an older couch in the room. Unfortunately, at the optimal sitting position, I have a support beam...so what i really need is individual chairs to sit on either side of the support beam. I have looked at a bunch of web sites, too many to name...but would really like to find a couple comformtable chairs (and NOT full blown recliners) that would be in the 500/per or less category.

If you have an Ashley Furniture or Rooms To Go near you, I am like 80% I have seen theater chairs there for reasonable prices.
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 08:04 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

So you are watching movies with the sub disabled? That sounds like a big problem to me. 

It sounds like something is amiss in our Pioneer/your settings.

What are the crossover frequencies set to (when the speakers are on small)?

When I watch movies the sub is "enabled" but when listening to music with the E55ti's still set to "small" the subs are "disabled". But like I said, if I go into MCAAC and set the E55ti's to "large" the sub enables. weird!
lsturbointeg's Avatar lsturbointeg 08:21 PM 04-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I think Emptek speakers are not considered THX certified but I get what u mean as far as using bipole as side surround and bookshelves for rears.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 05:32 AM 04-25-2014
Quote:

I think Emptek speakers are not considered THX certified but I get what u mean as far as using bipole as side surround and bookshelves for rears.

Yeah I am just giving an example of what THX recommends, there really is no right or wrong scenario. Like all aspects of this hobby, personal preference is ultimately the deciding factor.
Thermobaric's Avatar Thermobaric 03:10 PM 04-25-2014
Okay. Had a good conversation with Brian. I have a couple of potential issues. First, he recommended that the E55Wis be placed 1-3ft behind the main seating area (for a "one row" configuration) on the side walls. So he said by doing that if the side biploles overlap too much with the rear monopoles, I may want to switch to all bookshelves. Right now, I could do it and it would work out.

However, my dilemma (possibly) is over the next year or so, I want to get a projector/screen. I need to do research on how far back I need to sit. The further back I sit, obviously the higher likelihood the sides will impact the rears. I wish the length of the room was a wee bit longer than 17'. Maybe 20' or so. But again, if I get a 100" screen, for example, how far back would I sit? I'll be browsing the Projector/Screen threads lol. If I get a 90"-100" screen and can sit say 10-11' back or so, it may work out. But if I have to sit 12' or more back, it may be a problem.

Brian agreed. So now I have to draw out what I think it may look like and go from there since the house is being built. He loves the E55Wis, but he said in my case, 4x E5Bis would be great as well.
Tags: Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems
First ... 104  105  106 107  108  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop