Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #3301 of 4133 Old 06-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NICE!
You put my excitement (of my exact mod) into some very useful measurable results....I still have not done measurements.
Question: I wasn't able to tell, but did you end up utilizing an L-pad?...Sounds like you didn't and would have if EQ didn't tame the results?....
Thanks for confirming your results

Denon X4000
Funk FW 15.2 (The Beast) & SVS PB12+
CoolerGuys Cabcool 1202 Programable Thermal Fans
EMP Tek E55Ti Towers / E56 Ci Center
Sunfire CRS-3 On Walls (Heights)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 4133 Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
NICE!
You put my excitement (of my exact mod) into some very useful measurable results....I still have not done measurements.
Question: I wasn't able to tell, but did you end up utilizing an L-pad?...Sounds like you didn't and would have if EQ didn't tame the results?....
Thanks for confirming your results
No, I didn't install an L-pad. I may at some later time but, as you know, this installation works fine as long as you apply EQ to tame the tweeters. Truthfully, the tweeters sound awful if just installed flat. They are around 4-5 db too sensitive for the crossover. After EQ they perform well and, in my view, better than the stock tweeters.

They certainly resolved my only concern with the E-55's and they make them capable of competing head to head with most speaker systems at 2-4 times their price. I have no reservations recommending the upgrade to anyone as long as they understand the need to EQ. It would be nice if EMP would upgrade the tweeters in the E55 because it is a great finishing touch to the design. I assume these Morel tweeters might be the wrong ones but the Mark II version of the E55 should have a different tweeter. I should also note that the stock tweeters work very well in the smaller E5 bookshelf speakers. I wouldn't change a thing with them.
post #3303 of 4133 Old 06-21-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I would be interested in seeing FR measurements from those of you swapping tweeters.
post #3304 of 4133 Old 06-21-2014, 11:51 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
I would be interested in seeing FR measurements from those of you swapping tweeters.
After EQ they are flat to 16K. I can tell you that without measuring. Above 16K there isn't any recorded content so it doesn't matter. Prior to EQ they are too hot and forward so I doubt FR measurements are of any value because you certainly wouldn't want to reproduce that sound.

Three of us have done it and all three of us consider it an improvement over the stock tweeters. It's a matter of $140 and 1/2 an hour of time. I don't think these tweeters are particularly special and they don't match at all with the design of the crossovers. What they do is fit pretty well in the E55's opening and are therefore easy to install. That and they sound better then the originals. I'll bet there are better choices out there. I came close to trying a pair of ribbon tweeters. I just wasn't up for that much cabinet surgery.

If you are like me and think the E55's are little dark sounding, it is a worthwhile project. You might get an adequate result simply by boosting the eq in the treble area. In my experience cutting rather than boosting is preferable and that might be part of the reason these drivers outperform the stock ones.
post #3305 of 4133 Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hey guys i have been waiting for months for the next emptek sale. ive read every thread i could find on these speakers on every audiovideo forum i could find. ive even looked them up on youtube just to see what they sound like. best buy or any other place doesnt have them to audition.

i just found one on youtube and they sound pretty damn good even though its a youtube video.

i am sold but im going to keep waiting for another sale. im hoping thanksgiving.

a question.

im upgrading from a budget 5.1 system. bic f12 and andrew jones pioneer speakers. i think im set on emptek and svs sub.

on svs site merlin recommends setting the emptek towers to 60 crossover. but most of research i read recommends 80 crossover. do you guys agree with merlin or is it a matter of taste and just see which one i like more?

Last edited by Luisfc1972; 06-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.
post #3306 of 4133 Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I've got my e55's and e56 center crossing at 80hz. I cross the surrounds at 100hz.

Since you're on the SVS site in going to guess you've got our are looking at one of their subs. I can tell you that together it is an impressive combination.
post #3307 of 4133 Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
hey guys i have been waiting for months for the next emptek sale. ive read every thread i could find on these speakers on every audiovideo forum i could find. ive even looked them up on youtube just to see what they sound like. best buy or any other place doesnt have them to audition.

i just found one on youtube and they sound pretty damn good even though its a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-qfxC_VsLA

i am sold but im going to keep waiting for another sale. im hoping thanksgiving.

a question.

im upgrading from a budget 5.1 system. bic f12 and andrew jones pioneer speakers. i think im set on emptek and svs sub.

on svs site merlin recommends setting the emptek towers to 60 crossover. but most of research i read recommends 80 crossover. do you guys agree with merlin or is it a matter of taste and just see which one i like more?
I run my towers and center at 80Hz, to give my receiver a little extra headroom, and the surrounds are at 110Hz. Black Friday is usually the big sale of the year, so you should be able to get the whole system at a hefty discount.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3308 of 4133 Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So the Denon x2000 is still $400. Their new 2014 models are starting to trickle in. The s700w and x1100w would be my other considerations.

I asked this a couple of months ago. But what are some thoughts on 4K TVs, content, etc? Browsing other threads, many seem to think 4K will be pushed heavily starting this holiday season.

At $400, the x2000 is a great buy. The 2014s at my price point have HDMI 2.0, more sub outs, Bluetooth, wifi, etc. But again, is it too early? I have no plans on getting a 4K tv before 2-3 years from now.
post #3309 of 4133 Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 212
4k tv's are nice if you sit close or if you have a very large screen. If you sit far from the tv, you will not know the difference between 1080p and 4k. There are reviews out there that confirm this.
post #3310 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Has anyone used the e5bi bookshelf in a near field desk application? I'm considering a pair of those or the arx a1rx-c. Thoughts?
post #3311 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
Has anyone used the e5bi bookshelf in a near field desk application? I'm considering a pair of those or the arx a1rx-c. Thoughts?
Refer to this post: **Official EMP Owner's Thread**

I imagine FMW will chime in shortly with his thoughts.

post #3312 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Yes, they work very well in that role. I recommend them without hesitation. I have a 12" sub under the desk to fill them out.

post #3313 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
After EQ they are flat to 16K. I can tell you that without measuring. Above 16K there isn't any recorded content so it doesn't matter. Prior to EQ they are too hot and forward so I doubt FR measurements are of any value because you certainly wouldn't want to reproduce that sound.

Three of us have done it and all three of us consider it an improvement over the stock tweeters. It's a matter of $140 and 1/2 an hour of time. I don't think these tweeters are particularly special and they don't match at all with the design of the crossovers. What they do is fit pretty well in the E55's opening and are therefore easy to install. That and they sound better then the originals. I'll bet there are better choices out there. I came close to trying a pair of ribbon tweeters. I just wasn't up for that much cabinet surgery.

If you are like me and think the E55's are little dark sounding, it is a worthwhile project. You might get an adequate result simply by boosting the eq in the treble area. In my experience cutting rather than boosting is preferable and that might be part of the reason these drivers outperform the stock ones.
I wonder if the tweeters used in the RBH SX-6300 are different from those in the E55Ti? Seeing as they are basically the same speaker, I wonder if this would be a good option for an upgraded tweeter?

https://rbhsound.com/sx6300r.php

post #3314 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 12:17 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I wonder if the tweeters used in the RBH SX-6300 are different from those in the E55Ti? Seeing as they are basically the same speaker, I wonder if this would be a good option for an upgraded tweeter?

Only if the crossover specs are the same for both speakers. Otherwise I would save the money and just do the Morel. The Morel performs pretty well and it is only $140 for the pair..
post #3315 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Yes, they work very well in that role. I recommend them without hesitation. I have a 12" sub under the desk to fill them out.

I really considering them. If I like them I will eventually transition my living setup to emptek (i have polk now). I have some money sitting in paypal that I need gone haha. Also considering getting a second monitor instead..
post #3316 of 4133 Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I really considering them. If I like them I will eventually transition my living setup to emptek (i have polk now). I have some money sitting in paypal that I need gone haha. Also considering getting a second monitor instead..

I have a 5 channel EMP system in my family room. I started with a pair of E55 towers and now I own almost the entire Impression line. I've even modified my E55's with new tweeters. I guess I qualify as a died in the wool fan.
post #3317 of 4133 Old 06-26-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

The Scanspeak d2904/950000 is quite a bit larger than what we have. Not only that...they're $140/each. One helluva driver though!

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #3318 of 4133 Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
The Scanspeak d2904/950000 is quite a bit larger than what we have. Not only that...they're $140/each. One helluva driver though!
Ah too bad, but you are right, very impressive tweeter.

post #3319 of 4133 Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hey gang. I have a couple of questions related to the E5bs and subwoofer placement.
1 - I plan on getting the E5bs for sides and rear surrounds. They will be wall mounted. For those that have wall mounted these speakers, do they absolutely have to be attached to a stud? I know stud mounting is almost always preferred due to their ability to hold heavy weights.

2 - I mentioned a while back that I'm building a house. They are about 80% done with framing right now, so I had the initial walkthrough with the A/V company. I'm going to have 2 sub connections as I plan on going with dual subs in the future. For now, I'll just have one. Anyway, we are going to keep the entertainment unit up front, so it takes a whole bunch of room.

So I'm thinking my best bet is to have 1 sub in the left corner and another in the "bottom" right area. I've read that this diagonal pattern is a decent way to place two subs. Attached is the basic room drawing (noting is lined up exactly). Thoughts? TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRoom.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	145769  

Last edited by Thermobaric; 07-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.
post #3320 of 4133 Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would have them put in 4 sub lines. That way you can move them around and god knows you may be crazy enough to have 4 sometimes. I have mine set up sort of like you have. I have no way to put them one the sides as there is a couch and door there. That is one the preferred placements. Subwoofer placement is a frequent topic on the avrant podcast and they answer listener questions. They are very fond of svs subs. http://www.avrant.com/

Next step is room treatments for me. I'm going to get a gik package.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...kit-package-1/

Also they just came out with the Dolby Atmos receivers, so you may want to wire for some voice of god speakers too.

Good luck!
post #3321 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps123 View Post
I considered them, but there was so little information around about them. Not to mention that how hard the Audioholic guys were pushing them turned me off. Although I don't question their objectivity, with so many other seemingly similar speakers available at comparable prices (or cheaper), I had a hard time accepting that it was a don't miss deal.

For $30 more per speaker, I went with RC-30s. But I'd be interested to hear about the EMPs and Infinitys compare.

I have never seen nor heard the downsized Impressions towers. But let me provide some experienced information that may help. The major value in the EMP line is that it is sold manufacturer direct. That means there are no dealers and no dealer markups in the chain. You need to compare them to speakers at about twice the price in order to have a fair comparison. Comparing EMP to Infinity is not meaningful.

On to the product. It appears to me that they have simply removed one midrange and one bass driver from the Original Impression tower and put the remaining drivers and crossover into a smaller enclosure. I can probably give you a meaningful guess as to how they will sound.

The sweet spot of the original towers (the ones most of us own) is the mid range. It is truly glorious. The weak part of the Impressions is at both extremes. I find the Impressions a bit light in the bass but that isn't an issue since one can support the bass with a subwoofer.

The other issue is the tweeter which, in my opinion, doesn't compete very well with the dual mid range drivers and causes a somewhat dark (warm if you prefer) presentation overall. I resolved that personally by changing to a more sensitive tweeter. Most people prefer the dark presentation, I think, so my comment relates to my preference, not to some universal truth.

If we remove one woofer, then we get less bass. Again that is not an issue if you use a subwoofer. By removing a midrange driver we reduce "glorious" mid range to sub "glorious" midrange but brighten up the overall presentation by reducing the sound with which the tweeter has to compete. Overall, the smaller Impressions should sound a bit brighter - more like the small bookshelf models.

I would bet that the speakers you mentioned will not hold a candle to the EMP. You simply can't pay a dealer at the low end of the speaker price pecking order and put as much into the product. I've heard the Infinities and they aren't in the same league as the large EMP towers. I've never tested them head to head, however. I don't think they will compete well at all with the smaller towers either.

If you remove the woofers from the small towers and remove the excess enclosure space, you wind up with the E5 bookshelf speaker which are excellent by the way. I think you would get about the same sound from the E5's + subwoofer as you would from the small tower + subwoofer. So look at the difference in price between the small towers and the E5 plus stands and use that as a guideline. I think that might be a more fair comparison that comparing to the large tower.

A lot of guesswork in this post, of course. That's the best I can do.
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #3322 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Anyone hearing anything about a July 4th special from EMP? Would really like to pick up the dipole surrounds, but just waiting to see if I can save a few dollars on the 4th!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3323 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Anyone hearing anything about a July 4th special from EMP? Would really like to pick up the dipole surrounds, but just waiting to see if I can save a few dollars on the 4th!
There's a good possibility, IIRC last year they had the subs and bookshelves on sale, but they change it up for each sale.

post #3324 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have never seen nor heard the downsized Impressions towers. But let me provide some experienced information that may help. The major value in the EMP line is that it is sold manufacturer direct. That means there are no dealers and no dealer markups in the chain. You need to compare them to speakers at about twice the price in order to have a fair comparison. Comparing EMP to Infinity is not meaningful.

On to the product. It appears to me that they have simply removed one midrange and one bass driver from the Original Impression tower and put the remaining drivers and crossover into a smaller enclosure. I can probably give you a meaningful guess as to how they will sound.

The sweet spot of the original towers (the ones most of us own) is the mid range. It is truly glorious. The weak part of the Impressions is at both extremes. I find the Impressions a bit light in the bass but that isn't an issue since one can support the bass with a subwoofer.

The other issue is the tweeter which, in my opinion, doesn't compete very well with the dual mid range drivers and causes a somewhat dark (warm if you prefer) presentation overall. I resolved that personally by changing to a more sensitive tweeter. Most people prefer the dark presentation, I think, so my comment relates to my preference, not to some universal truth.

If we remove one woofer, then we get less bass. Again that is not an issue if you use a subwoofer. By removing a midrange driver we reduce "glorious" mid range to sub "glorious" midrange but brighten up the overall presentation by reducing the sound with which the tweeter has to compete. Overall, the smaller Impressions should sound a bit brighter - more like the small bookshelf models.

I would bet that the speakers you mentioned will not hold a candle to the EMP. You simply can't pay a dealer at the low end of the speaker price pecking order and put as much into the product. I've heard the Infinities and they aren't in the same league as the large EMP towers. I've never tested them head to head, however. I don't think they will compete well at all with the smaller towers either.

If you remove the woofers from the small towers and remove the excess enclosure space, you wind up with the E5 bookshelf speaker which are excellent by the way. I think you would get about the same sound from the E5's + subwoofer as you would from the small tower + subwoofer. So look at the difference in price between the small towers and the E5 plus stands and use that as a guideline. I think that might be a more fair comparison that comparing to the large tower.

A lot of guesswork in this post, of course. That's the best I can do.
Just to add to what FMW has said, and I will not tell you that EMP is the best speaker-maker ever or anything...but having heard just about every low-mid priced speaker on the market, I think the EMP can compete with any of them in the price range and even more expensive. A friend of mine just bought the E5Bi and we listened to them side by side with my Def Tech SM450. We both agreed that the EMP had better detail, better high end and as mention, better midrange (the def tech wins the bass battle all day long)...and the Def Tech were list price 599/pair, not that that is what I paid for them.
Also, they were superior to my jbl130s, no big suprise!
Polk M40, no challenge...
Transmaniacon likes this.

post #3325 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Just to make sure you're aware, the surrounds are bipole, not dipole.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #3326 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

You can do better then EMP, but then again that rings true for basically everything. At the price range where they fall they are really a great value. If these speakers were sold in a place like Bestbuy, I can almost guarantee they would no longer be in my price range. I've never had much of an issue with the high end, and will agree that the mid-range on the E55 towers is excellent. I've always felt that the towers should dig just a little deeper on the low end, but I think part of it comes to decisions made by EMP. While the towers don't go that low, they are extraordinarily clean all the way down to about 55-50hz, and then they basically just give up producing bass. They know what they are capable of and don't really try to push beyond that like some speakers. I've spent a lot of money on a good sub, so poor low end isn't something that really concerns me with the EMP's, as I (and I would guess most of us) can just delegate the bass off to a sub.

Overall the towers are a fantastic value. There are better speakers out there, but no matter how much you spend that always is going to be true.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #3327 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Just to make sure you're aware, the surrounds are bipole, not dipole.
You are correct, I used the wrong terminology!

post #3328 of 4133 Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems like the Black Ash has been out of stock for a while now...
post #3329 of 4133 Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I use to get pretty regular emails/Ads from EMPtek...but haven't gotten one in months. Do they still send email notification of sales, or have I been booted from the list? If they are going to have a July 4th sale, you would think they would have sent a notification by now!

Last edited by Elihawk; 07-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.
post #3330 of 4133 Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't received any since their winter sale. They might be waiting until Black Friday this year. I am also curious about the new sub they are working on, we don't know anything about it right now other than it exists. But they really need something to compete in that $400-600 range that replaces the es1010i.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page