15Likes

post #3391 of 3395 Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
If by RS4 you mean the Infinity Reference 2000.4, then I actually owned a pair of these before I got my E55Tis. The difference is pretty significant in my opinion. Much clearer and well defined mid-range, with a more relaxed sound. I found the EMPs played clearer at high volumes than the Infinitys did, bass was a wash between the two.

I think you would be a making a nice upgrade, but I would also prioritize a new sub afterwords.
The owners manual has Reference Series 4 on it, but the sales receipt lists them as 2000.5, so I'm guessing they're what you had, or similar. Right now I'm waiting to see if there's a EMP Tek Black Friday sale again this year. After that my plan is to get a new receiver that supports two subs, for the subs I have SVS in mind.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Last edited by mhaider; 08-25-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3395 Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaider View Post
The owners manual has Reference Series 4 on it, but the sales receipt lists them as 2000.5, so I'm guessing they're what you had, or similar. Right now I'm waiting to see if there's a EMP Tek Black Friday sale again this year. After that my plan is to get a new receiver that supports two subs, for the subs I have SVS in mind.

Thanks so much for the reply.
You don't need a receiver that has two sub pre-outs, all those receivers have is an internal Y-splitter. You can buy your own and turn your single sub pre-out into two, and it's the exact same thing as a .2 receiver. Some of the higher end receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 can EQ stereo subs, but that is in the $1000+ range.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3393 of 3395 Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
You don't need a receiver that has two sub pre-outs, all those receivers have is an internal Y-splitter. You can buy your own and turn your single sub pre-out into two, and it's the exact same thing as a .2 receiver. Some of the higher end receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 can EQ stereo subs, but that is in the $1000+ range.
You're right about being able to do it with my current receiver, it would just take a little extra work calibrating them, I've been listening to the guys at AV Rant and they explain how to do it. So the new subs may happen sooner rather then later. I would like to get a receiver something like the Denon X4000 with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT down the road.
post #3394 of 3395 Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Personally I have only two negatives about the E55. It is a little weak in the tweeter and the bass is also weak below about 45 or 50hz. This is pretty common with the little woofers they are using these days. I would bet your Infinities would handle the bass better.

I solved the tweeter issue by upgrading the driver and integrating a subwoofer more than took care of the bass. The midrange on these speakers is scary good. I get high end sound from my E55's but not without those two issues being resolved. Without a sub and a better tweeter I would rate them at the higher end of mid fi. Don't know if that helps. I sure like the E55's and would be interested to hear your comparison with the old Infinities.

Can you give more information about the tweeter upgrade you made to these speakers? I would be curious how to upgrade the sound of these types of speakers
post #3395 of 3395 Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Can you give more information about the tweeter upgrade you made to these speakers? I would be curious how to upgrade the sound of these types of speakers
The details are in post 3300 of this forum. I replaced the stock tweeters with Morel CAT 378 tweeters which fit well enough in the same size opening as the stock tweeters. Understand that they have different characteristics so they do not match what the crossover network is designed to drive. What that means is that you have to use the speakers with some sort of equalization to tame down the new tweeters. As long as you use them with something like an AV receiver with room correction software the upgrade is positive. If not then you would have to design a new crossover for the system.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page