**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 114 - AVS Forum
First ... 112  113  114 115  116  ... Last
Speakers > **Official EMP Owner's Thread**
mhaider's Avatar mhaider 10:10 AM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
If by RS4 you mean the Infinity Reference 2000.4, then I actually owned a pair of these before I got my E55Tis. The difference is pretty significant in my opinion. Much clearer and well defined mid-range, with a more relaxed sound. I found the EMPs played clearer at high volumes than the Infinitys did, bass was a wash between the two.

I think you would be a making a nice upgrade, but I would also prioritize a new sub afterwords.
The owners manual has Reference Series 4 on it, but the sales receipt lists them as 2000.5, so I'm guessing they're what you had, or similar. Right now I'm waiting to see if there's a EMP Tek Black Friday sale again this year. After that my plan is to get a new receiver that supports two subs, for the subs I have SVS in mind.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 10:30 AM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaider View Post
The owners manual has Reference Series 4 on it, but the sales receipt lists them as 2000.5, so I'm guessing they're what you had, or similar. Right now I'm waiting to see if there's a EMP Tek Black Friday sale again this year. After that my plan is to get a new receiver that supports two subs, for the subs I have SVS in mind.

Thanks so much for the reply.
You don't need a receiver that has two sub pre-outs, all those receivers have is an internal Y-splitter. You can buy your own and turn your single sub pre-out into two, and it's the exact same thing as a .2 receiver. Some of the higher end receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 can EQ stereo subs, but that is in the $1000+ range.
mhaider's Avatar mhaider 10:37 AM 08-25-2014
Quote:
You don't need a receiver that has two sub pre-outs, all those receivers have is an internal Y-splitter. You can buy your own and turn your single sub pre-out into two, and it's the exact same thing as a .2 receiver. Some of the higher end receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 can EQ stereo subs, but that is in the $1000+ range.
You're right about being able to do it with my current receiver, it would just take a little extra work calibrating them, I've been listening to the guys at AV Rant and they explain how to do it. So the new subs may happen sooner rather then later. I would like to get a receiver something like the Denon X4000 with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT down the road.
jasenkent 11:14 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Personally I have only two negatives about the E55. It is a little weak in the tweeter and the bass is also weak below about 45 or 50hz. This is pretty common with the little woofers they are using these days. I would bet your Infinities would handle the bass better.

I solved the tweeter issue by upgrading the driver and integrating a subwoofer more than took care of the bass. The midrange on these speakers is scary good. I get high end sound from my E55's but not without those two issues being resolved. Without a sub and a better tweeter I would rate them at the higher end of mid fi. Don't know if that helps. I sure like the E55's and would be interested to hear your comparison with the old Infinities.

Can you give more information about the tweeter upgrade you made to these speakers? I would be curious how to upgrade the sound of these types of speakers
FMW's Avatar FMW 04:21 AM 08-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Can you give more information about the tweeter upgrade you made to these speakers? I would be curious how to upgrade the sound of these types of speakers
The details are in post 3300 of this forum. I replaced the stock tweeters with Morel CAT 378 tweeters which fit well enough in the same size opening as the stock tweeters. Understand that they have different characteristics so they do not match what the crossover network is designed to drive. What that means is that you have to use the speakers with some sort of equalization to tame down the new tweeters. As long as you use them with something like an AV receiver with room correction software the upgrade is positive. If not then you would have to design a new crossover for the system.
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 09:47 AM 09-07-2014
Hello EMP owners ... I have a pair of E55Ti towers coming mid next week and if I like them I'm considering the center channel too and perhaps a pair of RBH in-ceilling speakers for the rear. They will all be powered by a Denon AVR-S900W. I also have a HSU STF-2 sub to help them all, if needed.
Just saying hello for now ... I'm sure I will have questions in the coming weeks as I set them up and mess with various settings.
Eternal Velocity's Avatar Eternal Velocity 10:06 AM 09-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
I do not recommend any such DIY upgrade as the one mentioned by FMW Crossovers are pretty much custom-dependant on a specific driver's electro-mechanical characteristics and measured frequency response - as well as their voice coil depth. Since the E55Tis supposedtly use 2nd order slopes, that means you're probably having combined sound from both the tweeter and midrange below 2khz and above 5 khz. No EQ will correct crossover ills introduced by a random tweeter swap in this region.

A lot of engineering went into these speakers for them to hit a certain price-point, and unless RBH / EMP provides you with a drop-in upgrade, I would not try it without true crossover design skills.

If you want to try re-voicing the speaker to preference, perhaps play around with resistor values. 1db Less tweeter padding - or if that isn't an option due to inadequate sensitivity - pad down the mids by 1db instead (never pad down the woofers). But my advice is still to get on the phone with EMP and talk it over.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 06:21 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post
Hello EMP owners ... I have a pair of E55Ti towers coming mid next week and if I like them I'm considering the center channel too and perhaps a pair of RBH in-ceilling speakers for the rear. They will all be powered by a Denon AVR-S900W. I also have a HSU STF-2 sub to help them all, if needed.
Just saying hello for now ... I'm sure I will have questions in the coming weeks as I set them up and mess with various settings.
Hope you enjoy them! Let us know your thoughts when you get them in.
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 07:32 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Hope you enjoy them! Let us know your thoughts when you get them in.
How do you like yours?
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 07:40 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
How do you like yours?
I love them! They have a great neutral sound, with a strong well-defined mid-range, and non-fatiguing high-end. The dynamics are exceptional, and they will play loud with ease. One of the things I like the most is how they disappear in the room, you get a big sound stage and they do a great job with a phantom center (I ran them in 4.1 for a year until I got the center).
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 07:51 AM 09-08-2014
Phantom center -- can you please tell me more how you set up your Denon for that? I won't have a center right away, so I'll need to do that. Do I need to set any DSP modes or just let Audyssey do its thing?

And how big a difference does a real center make? Their center is not exactly cheap...
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 08:06 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Phantom center -- can you please tell me more how you set up your Denon for that? I won't have a center right away, so I'll need to do that. Do I need to set any DSP modes or just let Audyssey do its thing?

And how big a difference does a real center make? Their center is not exactly cheap...
When Audyssey runs your setup, it will see there is no center and take care of things. A phantom center is more of an effect, speakers with good imaging make it seem as if sound is coming from the middle. You don't need to do anything differently. The center does improve dialog and clarity of details, but the difference is not night and day. I think this speaks more to the speakers ability, than the importance of a center. I only have one listening position as well, so the phantom center works better. I definitely am glad I got my center though, and the bigger E56Ci is the right choice for the towers. I have since tried movies with the center on/off, and while the difference is not huge, it is enough that it makes it worthwhile to get.
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 08:22 AM 09-08-2014
Yes, I would only consider the E56Ci, there's no point getting the smaller one. But I have to see how I like the towers first. I think I'll be just fine with them as everyone describes them as neutral, balanced, etc. and I don't like bright or bassy/muffled speakers. I had a full set of B&W CDM SE that I liked very much (and regret selling) and they were also neutral. If the EMPs sound anything like that I'm going to be happy with them.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 10:57 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post
I do not recommend any such DIY upgrade as the one mentioned by FMW Crossovers are pretty much custom-dependant on a specific driver's electro-mechanical characteristics and measured frequency response - as well as their voice coil depth. Since the E55Tis supposedtly use 2nd order slopes, that means you're probably having combined sound from both the tweeter and midrange below 2khz and above 5 khz. No EQ will correct crossover ills introduced by a random tweeter swap in this region.

A lot of engineering went into these speakers for them to hit a certain price-point, and unless RBH / EMP provides you with a drop-in upgrade, I would not try it without true crossover design skills.

If you want to try re-voicing the speaker to preference, perhaps play around with resistor values. 1db Less tweeter padding - or if that isn't an option due to inadequate sensitivity - pad down the mids by 1db instead (never pad down the woofers). But my advice is still to get on the phone with EMP and talk it over.
I don't know enough about the EMP Impression series crossovers to know what can be done to increase (doubt there's an lpad on them so I guess a resistor change?) or make a perceived increased (lowering midrange by lpad) in the tweeter level. When I run Audyssey it shows that I either have some HF attenuation going on in the room or the EMP speakers just aren't top-end neutral or top-end heavy. Probably a combination of both with my room.

Makes me want to take a picture of the e55 and e56 crossovers so we can see if there is any way to change a resistor for a little more top end sensitivity. If not, padding the mids a little might do it. The woofers don't seem to move hardly at all when I have my HPF set around 80 anyways so I think a little more volume to them won't do them any harm if we had to pad the midrange
Eternal Velocity's Avatar Eternal Velocity 11:13 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
I don't know enough about the EMP Impression series crossovers to know what can be done to increase (doubt there's an lpad on them so I guess a resistor change?) or make a perceived increased (lowering midrange by lpad) in the tweeter level. When I run Audyssey it shows that I either have some HF attenuation going on in the room or the EMP speakers just aren't top-end neutral or top-end heavy. Probably a combination of both with my room.

Makes me want to take a picture of the e55 and e56 crossovers so we can see if there is any way to change a resistor for a little more top end sensitivity. If not, padding the mids a little might do it. The woofers don't seem to move hardly at all when I have my HPF set around 80 anyways so I think a little more volume to them won't do them any harm if we had to pad the midrange
Audyssey measures and alters in-room response, not anechoic response. What our ears hear abive the shroeder frequency however is the direct response. So even if audyssey is adding boost at those frequencies it doesn't mean that your ears are hearing a more flat response. Look at Gene's measurements of the e55Ti - there's actually a response rise between 8khz and 14khz directly on-axis (and above their, our hearing goes to ****. If you're sitting about 15 degrees off the tweeter axis, you're in the listening window and there's no reason to boost HF even if an unreliable mic, probably not even pointed at the tweeter, says you need boost.

Where audyssey etc is useful is below the Shroeder frequency where our ears cannot differentiate direct and late arriving sound.
FMW's Avatar FMW 11:28 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:

Definitely true in the old days. Not so much today now that we have room calibration software. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a system that wasn't being driven by an AV receiver and I said so in the post. However, in this case, the result was outstanding after room calibration. The speakers definitely need improvement in the treble and the new tweeters did the trick. What I would not recommend for a beginner is swapping components on the crossover board.

Also my post suggested one might want to pad down the tweeter, not the woofer. I'm not pushing the tweeter change. I'm just reporting the facts and personal experience unlike Eternal Velocity.
FMW's Avatar FMW 11:34 AM 09-08-2014
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, I would only consider the E56Ci, there's no point getting the smaller one. But I have to see how I like the towers first. I think I'll be just fine with them as everyone describes them as neutral, balanced, etc. and I don't like bright or bassy/muffled speakers. I had a full set of B&W CDM SE that I liked very much (and regret selling) and they were also neutral. If the EMPs sound anything like that I'm going to be happy with them.
I'm pretty sure the large center is the way to go. I can't tell you from experience. What I can tell you from experience is that the small center isn't a good match. If you need a smaller center go with the dipole surround. That is a pretty good match.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 12:19 PM 09-08-2014
Quote:
Audyssey measures and alters in-room response, not anechoic response. What our ears hear abive the shroeder frequency however is the direct response. So even if audyssey is adding boost at those frequencies it doesn't mean that your ears are hearing a more flat response. Look at Gene's measurements of the e55Ti - there's actually a response rise between 8khz and 14khz directly on-axis (and above their, our hearing goes to ****. If you're sitting about 15 degrees off the tweeter axis, you're in the listening window and there's no reason to boost HF even if an unreliable mic, probably not even pointed at the tweeter, says you need boost.

Where audyssey etc is useful is below the Shroeder frequency where our ears cannot differentiate direct and late arriving sound.
Yeah I know that any room calibration software that's done in-room will take into account the room response. I can in fact hear a more flat tweeter response when enabling Audyssey and my SPL shows that they corrections made by Audyssey are actually there in the in-room response. Most users report slightly recessed treble so I'd think room characteristics have been removed, not completely, but mostly from the issue. It's interesting because overall the tweeters responses fall pretty closely in line, in level, with the midrange at their given on & off axis points. Mine are probably about 0-15deg. off axis. I need to pull out one of my protractors and just eye ball it or use a laser to figure out how far off-axis my main listening position is. Just goes to show how my room interacts with the HF's I guess.
The Murderousone's Avatar The Murderousone 10:23 PM 09-10-2014
Any update on the new sub? I hope it's dual 12inch or 15inch model
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 11:51 PM 09-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
Any update on the new sub? I hope it's dual 12inch or 15inch model
I asked when I spoke with EMP about the towers and was told December. Maybe. No details on the specs.
Anyway, do you think they can do better than HSU or SVS? Or do you just want the sub to also display the EMP logo? I have an HSU STF-2 sub and from the couch the logos look the same to me, I got lucky
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 07:27 AM 09-11-2014
Quote:
I asked when I spoke with EMP about the towers and was told December. Maybe. No details on the specs.
Anyway, do you think they can do better than HSU or SVS? Or do you just want the sub to also display the EMP logo? I have an HSU STF-2 sub and from the couch the logos look the same to me, I got lucky
Well, not sure they can do better...but my EMP10i10i sure held it own in a head to head with the svs pb1000 in my house about a year ago...but one thing is for sure. I will look be a better looking sub! SQ is the number on factor, but I sure would like to see a sub that looked and sounded great!
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 07:46 AM 09-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Well, not sure they can do better...but my EMP10i10i sure held it own in a head to head with the svs pb1000 in my house about a year ago...but one thing is for sure. I will look be a better looking sub! SQ is the number on factor, but I sure would like to see a sub that looked and sounded great!
Sure wish I grabbed a couple of those when they were on sale for $250! I am anxious to see what the new sub will be, and which direction they are going. There is some strong competition in the $500-600 segment, but what is lacking in my opinion is that $350-450 market. Once you go past the BIC PL-200 and NXG 500, there isn't much until you hit the SVS and Reaction subs. And it's not until the $700+ mark where you get something that looks halfway decent. Put together a nice looking sub that can hit down to around 21-23Hz, and I think you have a winner. Look at how popular that Klipsch RW-12D was when it was $280-350, they couldn't keep them in stock.
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 09:53 AM 09-11-2014
^ Been saying that ever since they started to phase out the e1010i. The budget sub people go for is around $300 (pl200, nxg500, used to be rw-12d) and then you're up into the pb1000 ($500), which is tacking on another $200 at least. The PA-150 can be had around $375-400 I believe, but it's a 35-40hz+ sub...though it's a monster up there. Great if you like that sort of thing, but any auto-EQ like Audyssey, etc will tame that peak down quite a bit. Not to mention it'd likely sound pretty boomy and resonant if it's anything like the pa-120 I had a long time ago.

I still think EMP will do a single 12" setup. Try to get the price point around $425 with a good driver and larger box than normal...and watch them fly out of the shop.

I might be willing to sell and ship my e1010i's....for the right price Lets start the bidding at $375/ea! Seriously though, at $500/pr...what a pick up! I think they could take more power too
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 10:10 AM 09-11-2014
I have both the Klipsch Rd12 and the EMP 10i10i and while the Klipsch can hit lower, it lack the accuracy and detail of the EMP sub. I didn't do any measurement, but I thought the EMP had just as much output as the Klipsch, sounded better in the mid-low and above and was overall, the much better sub. I got both subs for right around 300 dollars...
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 10:33 AM 09-11-2014
Yeah I think a good 12" ported sub might be where they go. Honestly, a more refined RW-12D in a nice looking cabinet would be a huge hit.
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 11:00 AM 09-11-2014
So I got my E55Ti towers. I haven't fired them up yet because my new Denon AVR-S900W is being delayed by Fedex by a day. But I did take the speakers out of the box and put them in their place. They look very nice I think. Tall and heavy, massive speakers.

Something to complain about: the outriggers and the feet. They clearly cut cost here, they look very cheap compared to the rest of the speaker. Granted, they sit on the floor, collecting dust, but still, they could have taken them up a notch. Mine are not finished very well, the chrome on the top nuts is bubbled on some and stained black on others. The metal pieces (heavy!) have some chipped edges too. And 1 of the screws I had a very hard time with, the threading in the speaker bottom was not done well. Also, it's a pain to adjust the middle nut for the rubber feet (I have to use the rubber feet as the speakers are not placed on carpet).

Now if the speakers sound as great as they look otherwise, I'm willing to forgive all of the above
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 11:24 AM 09-11-2014
Quote:
So I got my E55Ti towers. I haven't fired them up yet because my new Denon AVR-S900W is being delayed by Fedex by a day. But I did take the speakers out of the box and put them in their place. They look very nice I think. Tall and heavy, massive speakers.

Something to complain about: the outriggers and the feet. They clearly cut cost here, they look very cheap compared to the rest of the speaker. Granted, they sit on the floor, collecting dust, but still, they could have taken them up a notch. Mine are not finished very well, the chrome on the top nuts is bubbled on some and stained black on others. The metal pieces (heavy!) have some chipped edges too. And 1 of the screws I had a very hard time with, the threading in the speaker bottom was not done well. Also, it's a pain to adjust the middle nut for the rubber feet (I have to use the rubber feet as the speakers are not placed on carpet).

Now if the speakers sound as great as they look otherwise, I'm willing to forgive all of the above
I would call EMP, they sell those separately and will probably mail you a new set. They should not look like that.
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 11:27 AM 09-11-2014
Yea, talked to Brian at EMP....he will make sure you are satisfied!
jasammeg's Avatar jasammeg 12:36 PM 09-14-2014
I'm thinking of getting the e55ti towers or the Svs ultra towers.I will be adding a svs sub if i get e55ti.My question is will the e55 sound be comparable with a sub.I'm really interested in the e55,.Any advice is most appreciated.
SirDracula's Avatar SirDracula 12:37 PM 09-14-2014
Talked to Brian and he's sending me a new set of outriggers and feet/nuts.

And I hooked up the speakers to the AVR but haven't done any Audyssey setup yet as the room doesn't yet have all the furniture or the carpet, art on the walls, etc. So it had a bit of echo/hollow sound. I'd like to break in the speakers a bit anyway before I do any Audyssey setup, though I'm not sure it really matters for this purpose.

I have not hooked up the HSU STF-2 sub yet. The speakers are configured as Large in the AVR, no sub. There is bass but it sounds a bit boomy to me. Could be because of the room though or because the speakers are placed only about 8" from the wall while the manual suggests 15".

Anyway, if I want to hook up the sub which I have to try anyway to make sure it actually works (kinda bought it blindly on Craigslist), how should I configure the AVR?
- Large or Small speakers?
- LFE only or LFE+Main if I configure the speakers as Large?
- What's a good crossover to start with? 80Hz?
- Is the sub volume in the middle reasonable or lower?

Again I do not want to spend the time to run Audyssey just yet, just some simple basic setup for the next couple of weeks until the speakers break in some.
Tags: Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems
First ... 112  113  114 115  116  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop