22Likes

post #3451 of 3467 Old Today, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Will wait for the holiday sale to get the center and you are right makes sense to go with the e56ci with the towers.
Still don't have the Emps but I was thinking of auditioning the bookshelves as fronts and then compare to the towers and see how much of an upgrade the towers are. If the bookshelves are good enough maybe I send back the towers and get all e5bi for all 5 channels.

Btw, is there a break in period for these speakers. I am coming from a HTiB so I am clueless
I want to say that there is a break in period of 40 hours. I was thinking about the answer to this question and it really made me think about EMP's and how they differ from other speakers. I would strongly recommend spend significant time listening to movies or music or whatever it is you plan to use them. When I first got my EMP towers I will admit I was somewhat let down with them. I almost felt as though the 40 hour break in period allowed my ears a chance to adjust to a very different sound then what I was used to. I was coming from a pair of cheap (maybe $200 for the pair) Pioneer towers that were coming in on 8 years old. When I first listened on the EMP's the sound stage was so radically different that it was almost jarring.

One of the things to know about the EMP's is that they are very neutral (maybe even slightly on the cool side if anything) speakers, some of the most neutral I've ever heard. As a result you tend to get a bit more laid back sound and less of that wall of sound (I believe the audioholics review of the speakers also found the same thing) that I had become accustomed to with my Pioneer speakers. If you're a huge fan of Klipsch I'm thinking that these speakers might be a little disappointing. If you're looking for something that is much more neutral, then these are your speakers. The other warning I will give to you going in is that EMP's seem to do a great job of knowing both their strengths and weaknesses. I had an old pair of Sony bookshelf speakers that claimed a response curve of 1hz-45kHz. EMP isn't going to make crazy claims like that and in fact the towers seem to give up on usable bass right around the 50-55hz mark. I found that buying my SVS PC12+ made a world of difference in how great my EMP's sounded. These speakers absolutely need to be paired with a good sub to really let them shine. I notice that you've got the PB-2000 coming. That thing should do the job very well.

As far as going between the e55 towers and the e5bi towers I think you are going to see a pretty big difference between the two. Now I don't know your situation and maybe the bookshelf speakers make more sense for you, but I would strongly suspect that the towers are going to solidly out preform the bookshelf speakers. Either way, make sure you give a good lengthy audition to these speakers. Going on 18 months I've been thrilled with all my EMP products (e55 towers, e56 center, and e55wi surrounds). For the price point in which they sell I just don't think you can find a better product.

Long answer to a short question!

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3467 Old Today, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticusf View Post
Hey, guys:

Long-time, intermittent lurker here...intermittent because whenever I start browsing the AVS forums for too long, I end up spending $$$. Geez.

I'll never be able to afford $20k speakers (and even if I were wealthy, not sure I would spend that much on audio gear!) and my house doesn't have the square footage for anything extreme, so when I read the positive reviews about the EFBi's, it was hard to resist. So I bought them along with the smaller center channel and a refurbed Denon from Accessories4Less (hadn't heard of them, either). My setup was pushing ten years old, so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

After getting everything set up today, I had to break out some of my test subjects (Bladerunner boxed set, Star Wars, LoTR, etc). And, man, watching the trench run in "A New Hope" with everything cranking was almost like being a kid back in the theater ca. 1977. H*ll yeah. Heck, even SpongeBob and Teen Titans sound awesome (judging by my five year olds' sudden intense and unwavering attention to the screen--they've seen these shows dozens of times). I wasn't expecting such an improvement. I imagine as my kids get older and more acclimated to movies, we'll get even more use out of this setup.

Anyway, wanted to thank you guys for your always invaluable posts, especially for the indirect info they provide to lurkers like me.

Cheers,
Andrew
Congratulations, Andrew! Glad to hear you're happy with your choice. I assume that choice was the E5Bi's. Did you also purchase a subwoofer?
post #3453 of 3467 Old Today, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Congratulations, Andrew! Glad to hear you're happy with your choice. I assume that choice was the E5Bi's. Did you also purchase a subwoofer?
Thank you, good Doctor! I purchased the E5Bi's, mainly based on your positive reviews. :-) Like some on AVS, I know only the very basics about HT (which I guess is still more than 99% of the Earth's population, so I'm still ahead?) and nothing about advanced audio theory and practice, so you pros/engineering types are invaluable to dumb n00bs like me.

As for the sub....sigh. I bought a Polk PSW303 a few years ago, and as I've been browsing the forums, I get the impression that Polk subs are worse than death and taxes. I've got my eye on the SVS PB-1000, but with my limited means, can I justify another $500? Is it really worth the upgrade? Dunno. I suppose that's a subjective question that only I can answer, but...I do appreciate good sound.

Thanks!
A.
post #3454 of 3467 Old Today, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Btw, is there a break in period for these speakers. I am coming from a HTiB so I am clueless
The manual says there is a break-in period, though I don't recall seeing any numbers, I think it was something vague "a few hours".

The nice thing about the towers is that you don't have to worry about speaker stands, I like their massive look, more like furniture. If you already have a place to sit the bookshelves, then this may not be a factor at all for you.
post #3455 of 3467 Old Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Andrew, you are way ahead of the game, compared to most people. I think your Polk sub will be adequate for a little while, but once funds become available, another sub may be in order. Continued success and have fun with your new toys!

BTW, I'm certainly not a Doctor in any way, shape or form. Just a retired mechanical/facility design engineer (defense systems). Audio engineering is a different ballgame. And I do hope you read Andrew Robinson's great review and didn't just take my word for it .

rahulp001: Almost all speakers require a little break in period and can even be accomplished at the factory during testing. Breaking in a speaker at home can vary from minutes, to hours, to days depending upon the materials. I didn't hear any significant difference in the E5Bi's I purchased from the first minutes and now. My Maggies, on the other hand, took months.
post #3456 of 3467 Old Today, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I want to say that there is a break in period of 40 hours. I was thinking about the answer to this question and it really made me think about EMP's and how they differ from other speakers. I would strongly recommend spend significant time listening to movies or music or whatever it is you plan to use them. When I first got my EMP towers I will admit I was somewhat let down with them. I almost felt as though the 40 hour break in period allowed my ears a chance to adjust to a very different sound then what I was used to. I was coming from a pair of cheap (maybe $200 for the pair) Pioneer towers that were coming in on 8 years old. When I first listened on the EMP's the sound stage was so radically different that it was almost jarring.

One of the things to know about the EMP's is that they are very neutral (maybe even slightly on the cool side if anything) speakers, some of the most neutral I've ever heard. As a result you tend to get a bit more laid back sound and less of that wall of sound (I believe the audioholics review of the speakers also found the same thing) that I had become accustomed to with my Pioneer speakers. If you're a huge fan of Klipsch I'm thinking that these speakers might be a little disappointing. If you're looking for something that is much more neutral, then these are your speakers. The other warning I will give to you going in is that EMP's seem to do a great job of knowing both their strengths and weaknesses. I had an old pair of Sony bookshelf speakers that claimed a response curve of 1hz-45kHz. EMP isn't going to make crazy claims like that and in fact the towers seem to give up on usable bass right around the 50-55hz mark. I found that buying my SVS PC12+ made a world of difference in how great my EMP's sounded. These speakers absolutely need to be paired with a good sub to really let them shine. I notice that you've got the PB-2000 coming. That thing should do the job very well.

As far as going between the e55 towers and the e5bi towers I think you are going to see a pretty big difference between the two. Now I don't know your situation and maybe the bookshelf speakers make more sense for you, but I would strongly suspect that the towers are going to solidly out preform the bookshelf speakers. Either way, make sure you give a good lengthy audition to these speakers. Going on 18 months I've been thrilled with all my EMP products (e55 towers, e56 center, and e55wi surrounds). For the price point in which they sell I just don't think you can find a better product.

Long answer to a short question!
Thanks for the response and the cautions.
I do have SVS PB2000 to go with them which is sitting in my basement waiting for the EMPs :-)
post #3457 of 3467 Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quote:
As for the sub....sigh. I bought a Polk PSW303 a few years ago, and as I've been browsing the forums, I get the impression that Polk subs are worse than death and taxes. I've got my eye on the SVS PB-1000, but with my limited means, can I justify another $500? Is it really worth the upgrade? Dunno. I suppose that's a subjective question that only I can answer, but...I do appreciate good sound.

Thanks!
A.
I was running a BIC F12 which is in the same ballpark as your Polk sub. It was jaw dropping for me how dramatic a difference there was when I upgraded that to a better sub. It wasn't just that the bass was better, I really felt like every aspect of my setup improved with the better sub. So I absolutely think a better sub would be a good move. If you can save up a tiny bit more, the SVS PB2000 is a beast and would make a world of difference.

Also check out the SVS outlet, some great deals to be had in there.

Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
post #3458 of 3467 Old Today, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I've got my eye on the SVS PB-1000, but with my limited means, can I justify another $500? Is it really worth the upgrade? Dunno. I suppose that's a subjective question that only I can answer, but...I do appreciate good sound.
How aboout some DIY?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/sealed-...flat-pack.html
+
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...-coil--295-514

post #3459 of 3467 Old Today, 11:22 AM

Lol, you guys are evil. I can already feel the money leaving my bank account.....

EV, that actually looks like it would be fun to build....if I had the time or tools. And I'd also have to take a crash course in basic woodworking. :-)

Allen, thanks for the info and outlet heads-up. They have a couple of PB-1000s in stock, cheapest is $450 (some minor exterior damage). Hm.

I'd love to get the 2000, but $800 is just pushing the Parental Guilt Meter too much (you know, that nagging voice (the wife's?) that asks what that amount of money could do for your preschool aged twins). :-)

A.
post #3460 of 3467 Old Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
EV, that actually looks like it would be fun to build....if I had the time or tools. And I'd also have to take a crash course in basic woodworking. :-)
All you need is PL Premium, a drill + screws, and some rattle can paint!
post #3461 of 3467 Old Today, 11:53 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Afraid to build one? It isn't all that hard. There are enclosure kits available. Here is a shot of my 15" sealed sub next to an EMP E55 speaker system.

The only cutting required was to make an opening for the plate amp. Otherwise it was just gluing, clamping and painting. It cost $465 and it sounds like subs in the $1000 range. Give it a shot.
post #3462 of 3467 Old Today, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking to sell my axiom speakers (3.1 system) and get the EMP teks and do 5.1 system or just keep my axiom 3.1 setup and just add emp tek for rear/surrounds only. I have a question about surround speakers and can't decide on which one. Has anyone compared the e5bi bookshelf speakers to the e55wi dipoles for the rear/surrounds? This will be just for movies only as I only listen to music in 2.1 setup.
post #3463 of 3467 Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Allen, thanks for the info and outlet heads-up. They have a couple of PB-1000s in stock, cheapest is $450 (some minor exterior damage). Hm.

I'd love to get the 2000, but $800 is just pushing the Parental Guilt Meter too much (you know, that nagging voice (the wife's?) that asks what that amount of money could do for your preschool aged twins). :-)

A.
I told my wife we need a dedicated theater because my 7 month old is starting to stand up and my EMP's are top heavy.

Be creative!

post #3464 of 3467 Old Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The break in period is controversal and may not be audible...but mechanical/electrical engineer usually suggest that nay mechanical changes will happen in the first 5-10 hrs of listen. Mostly, your ears will break in to your speakers!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3465 of 3467 Old Today, 04:12 PM

Lol, Allen! You are a Jedi Master.

FMW, that looks great. Maybe next time I'll try DIY. I build my own PCs, so shouldn't be too hard, right?

BECAUSE, well....I pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 from the outlet.

So thanks again, everyone, for your advice. OK, NOW I've got to stop. Even though my Panny plasma is almost nine years old..... Maybe next year, when the market gets OLED, UHD, 4k, and everything else sorted out? Doh. ;-)

I'll let you guys know how much of a difference I think the SVS makes vs. the Polk (at least to my admittedly untrained ear).

A.
post #3466 of 3467 Old Today, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The t/s parameters (Bl,etc) have been shown to not change much...and that was using drivers with a lot more xmax/etc than what we have. This has been done on a lot of drivers in a lot of different sizes. Also, there are literally tons of factors that can affect sound besides just the speaker. If you don't like it to begin with...you're not going to one day just fall in love with it without changing SOMETHING (speaker placement, LP placement, settings, different song, etc etc etc). Telling yourself they sound good since you spent that much on them and things like that can also effect your perception. Within a few seconds to minutes...nothing huge will take place. If you think it does..I've got some cables made from unicorn tears that'd you'd love for the introductory price of $1,000/inch

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #3467 of 3467 Old Today, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
If you think it does..I've got some cables made from unicorn tears that'd you'd love for the introductory price of $1,000/inch
These unicorn tear cables are intriguing.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page