129Likes

post #4111 of 4125 Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
...I wish sound was that easy, but it's not.
Amen to that, brother!

To add to the great suggestions by ousooner2, also try adjusting the crossover for your EMPs/RBHs. My Denon set the crossover to 60 for mine, which may technically be correct, but they sounded boomy at that level. Still deciding what crossover I prefer, but it's somewhere between 90 and 120. Above 120 and I start losing the midrange detail.

Placement is a huge factor for speakers as well. If you don't have a dedicated theater/listening room, getting speakers to fit in your decor/layout and still sound their best can be a real challenge. I spent about a week trying different locations, finally found the sweet spot between sound and WAF. Now I just have to patch the holes in the walls where I hung them temporarily...

Point being, you have time to play around with positioning and receiver settings, utilize it and see if you can find a combination that works in your room. If not, return them, but at least you'll have some idea of what kind of sound you're looking for from your next set of speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4125 Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
tcm3: Well … your chair position sucks . Let people you don't like sit there . Your couch position looks really good. Before investing in the R55Wi's, I'd move the R5Bi's to the rear wall and test them out. I'm a big believer in testing things out before spending money you may not need to spend. You may be just fine with a 5.1 setup. Usually bipole speakers are used when the seating area is pretty far off-axis when using a bookshelf speaker (or maybe you have two rows of seating, like in a home theater). I don't see that situation here (except for that dang chair).
I know, but it's a darn comfy chair. Fortunately, my son loves it and as long as there are big explosions, he'll be happy (hence the new sub).
No, the main seating area is pretty good and I've had no complaints with the bookshelves. Basically, I saw two good spots on the back walls for speakers and I thought maybe it would increase the movie experience. That's a good suggestion. I have a pair of small Energy speakers I could put up there to try it out. They are not bipoles, but it might give me an idea of what it could add.
post #4113 of 4125 Old 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 542
^ LOL! I've got one of those comfortable chairs that sit way off axis as well . So I just move to the couch and use the chair for reading.

Yep, by all means check out how the Energy speakers sound. Heck, they may be all you need (or they may not have much of an effect).

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4114 of 4125 Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Dipoles are a matter of taste and how well they work can depend on your layout. I have never run 7.1, and in 5.1 mode, I prefer the sound coming from my surrounds to be anchored to a spot or directional.
I think those EMP dipoles are excellent, based on what people in this thread have been saying (big suprise!), so if that is the way you want to go, those e55wi sound sound great. All EMP speakers have excellent driver quality!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #4115 of 4125 Old Today, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick note, as I am finishing up some side by side comparisons of the EMPtek10i10i sub versus my newly purchase Outlaw LFM1 plus...

Purchased Guardians of the Galaxy as a chrismas present to my son in law, but he is going to have to except it used, because I watched it. Really good movie which doesn't hit super low, but has a lot of dynamic content I would guess in the 35-100hz range. After watching it with my new Outlaw LFM1 plus, I rewatched a couple scenes with the EMPtek 10i10i and the EMP tek really handled the scenes with excllence and great accuracy. I could hear some subtle details (well, as subtle as a subwoofer can be at -10db during a very dynamic movie) on a couple scenes that I didn't hear with the Outlaw! I purchased the Oulaw sub becuase I wanted a sub that could hit the lows of modern HT...but man, that EMP sub is good at everything except the "below 35 hz" stuff.

post #4116 of 4125 Old Today, 11:16 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Just a quick note, as I am finishing up some side by side comparisons of the EMPtek10i10i sub versus my newly purchase Outlaw LFM1 plus...

Purchased Guardians of the Galaxy as a chrismas present to my son in law, but he is going to have to except it used, because I watched it. Really good movie which doesn't hit super low, but has a lot of dynamic content I would guess in the 35-100hz range. After watching it with my new Outlaw LFM1 plus, I rewatched a couple scenes with the EMPtek 10i10i and the EMP tek really handled the scenes with excllence and great accuracy. I could hear some subtle details (well, as subtle as a subwoofer can be at -10db during a very dynamic movie) on a couple scenes that I didn't hear with the Outlaw! I purchased the Oulaw sub becuase I wanted a sub that could hit the lows of modern HT...but man, that EMP sub is good at everything except the "below 35 hz" stuff.

There is little meaningful content below 35 hz. Mastering techs have to deal with what most people have and most people do not have systems that will reproduce much below that level.
post #4117 of 4125 Old Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Tell that to the makers of Oblivion, Godzilla 2014 and Live, Die Repeat! But I agree, 99% of my DVD and blue rays played without issue on the EMPtek sub!

post #4118 of 4125 Old Today, 12:39 PM

OK, @Elihawk and @Transmaniacon mentioned in this thread that you folks like your EMP prOn over here, so I'm doing my part

Received the R5Bi pair and R5Ci on Dec 5th. Initially just plugged them in to make sure they were in perfect working order, then spent some time to determine best placement and receiver settings. Not an audiophile by any means, but the first 2 words that came to mind when I heard them were "Depth" and "Clarity". These replaced a pair of Mirage Nanosat Prestige and the matching Nano-CC center.

I'm not sure how I could write anything that accurately describes the sound, so I'll keep this brief. By "Depth" I will reference the Allman Brothers Band, specifically "Melissa". Anyone that has heard this song on lesser speakers knows how "flat" it is - Not much forward vs. back, all pretty much on a similar plane. The R5Bis give this song (and many others, I'm sure) depth that I have never experienced before.

"Clarity" I feel is fairly self-explanatory. The mid and high ranges appear to me to be very accurate. They are not harsh at all, nor are they too laid back.

For HT the R5Ci center works very well in our living/games room "theater". Much cleaner dialog than I have heard from other centers.

Love the speakers, glad I took the leap and I understand what you all have been talking about now!

EDIT: My bad, a special "thanks" goes out to @dsrussell for his review that helped me to decide on the EMPs!

So, on to the prOn:

Full frontal. Made an already wide soundstage from the speakers even wider. Angled down and toed in to the MLP.

Left. You can see the Pinpoint AM20 holding her up, and that my patch job hasn't been sanded/painted yet

Right

And center. That's a Samsung HL61A750 for reference (61")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00344-2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	429393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00346-2.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	690.6 KB
ID:	429401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00347-2.JPG
Size:	663.4 KB
ID:	429409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00348-2.JPG
Size:	835.3 KB
ID:	429417  
Transmaniacon and dsrussell like this.

Last edited by smcmillan2; Today at 12:49 PM.
post #4119 of 4125 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

great looking system, smcmillan2! Three questions- What are you using to mount thoes to the wall? What sub is that? and Last, is Harbaugh going to leave the NFL for Ann Arbour? That would be a coup if he is woed to Michigan...
smcmillan2 likes this.

post #4120 of 4125 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
OK, @Elihawk and @Transmaniacon mentioned in this thread that you folks like your EMP prOn over here, so I'm doing my part

Received the R5Bi pair and R5Ci on Dec 5th. Initially just plugged them in to make sure they were in perfect working order, then spent some time to determine best placement and receiver settings. Not an audiophile by any means, but the first 2 words that came to mind when I heard them were "Depth" and "Clarity". These replaced a pair of Mirage Nanosat Prestige and the matching Nano-CC center.

I'm not sure how I could write anything that accurately describes the sound, so I'll keep this brief. By "Depth" I will reference the Allman Brothers Band, specifically "Melissa". Anyone that has heard this song on lesser speakers knows how "flat" it is - Not much forward vs. back, all pretty much on a similar plane. The R5Bis give this song (and many others, I'm sure) depth that I have never experienced before.

"Clarity" I feel is fairly self-explanatory. The mid and high ranges appear to me to be very accurate. They are not harsh at all, nor are they too laid back.

For HT the R5Ci center works very well in our living/games room "theater". Much cleaner dialog than I have heard from other centers.

Love the speakers, glad I took the leap and I understand what you all have been talking about now!

EDIT: My bad, a special "thanks" goes out to @dsrussell for his review that helped me to decide on the EMPs!
Congratulations, smcmillan, and thanks for posting pictures and giving us your thoughts! That's a nice room and I especially like the wine rack and "fridge full of beer?" . That makes everything better . I also noticed you have your sub on furniture sliders (I do too) -- makes life so much easier.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you like your system (and I didn't steer you wrong … whew).
smcmillan2 likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4121 of 4125 Old Today, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
great looking system, smcmillan2! Three questions- What are you using to mount thoes to the wall? What sub is that? and Last, is Harbaugh going to leave the NFL for Ann Arbour? That would be a coup if he is woed to Michigan...
Thanks! Love it during college football season and March Madness!

* Pinpoint AM20s hold up the L/R. I stripped one of the threads on the left, but (somewhat surprisingly to me) some Krazy glue and temporary support while it dried took care of that. They are rated for 12lbs but I think the R5Bi at ~7 is about as heavy as I would go.

* Acoustech PL-200 in the pictures, nice sub for the money. And a DIY in the back corner based on the 24" cube with Infinity 1260w driver models found in this thread. The combination shakes the whole main floor during movies if I let it!

* What gives you the impression I know about Michigan football?
Don't know if Harbaugh's interested, and I'm not sure he would be a good fit (although he is a "Michigan Man"), but given our last 7 seasons they better come up with a winner!
post #4122 of 4125 Old Today, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Congratulations, smcmillan, and thanks for posting pictures and giving us your thoughts! That's a nice room and I especially like the wine rack and "fridge full of beer?" . That makes everything better . I also noticed you have your sub on furniture sliders (I do too) -- makes life so much easier.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you like your system (and I didn't steer you wrong … whew).
Didn't see going wrong with the EMPs after reading Andrew's review as well as yours. Even my wife, who thought the Nanosats were fine, thinks these speakers sound great and are a terrific bargain.

Funny you put it in quotes, because it's literally a "fridge full of beer"
This is our "games" room, it used to house a pool table and dart board, but now just the dart board and multiple TVs (for all the "games"!).

The sub on the pads isn't really necessary for moving it (it's light, I believe I weighed it at ~34lbs), but it was suggested to raise it slightly to combat some boominess I was experiencing. I need to work the AVR settings some more to get everything just right, then I'm sure I can remove those.

Thanks again! Really enjoying the sound.
post #4123 of 4125 Old Today, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Do you guys have a list of wall mounts that work with the R5Bi's? I see lots of wall mounts on Amazon but have no idea which ones will work and which ones wont. If you don't have a list could you please mention a few recommended wall mounts?

Thanks!
post #4124 of 4125 Old Today, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed999 View Post
Do you guys have a list of wall mounts that work with the R5Bi's? I see lots of wall mounts on Amazon but have no idea which ones will work and which ones wont. If you don't have a list could you please mention a few recommended wall mounts?

Thanks!
@ousooner2 had mentioned to me in another thread that he was using the Pinpoint AM20, so that's what I went with. Another mount that has been recommended is the VideoSecu Clamping bracket, but the WAF wasn't there for our room.

If you go with the AM20 just don't play with them too much, that's how I ended up stripping one of the threads (see above). But they are holding quite well now.
post #4125 of 4125 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

getting Harbaugh would be a coup for sure, but 8 million per year!? Well, the Big Ten needs good teams and we haven't had enough recently, so even though I am a Hawkeye, it is good for the BT for Michigan to be good again! You guys could have had Pellini...

nice subwoofer combo, especially the DIY!

Good to hear those Pinmounts are working...when the R5bi come back in stock, I will need to get a pair for surrounds. The SLS Q Line surrounds I am using can only handle content above 120hz, and i feel/hear them distorting a lot at -15dB or less, so...it is now the weak link in my system.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page