**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 156 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes
post #4651 of 4665 Old 03-24-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally read a few pages back. Interesting you guys aretalking about subs. When I was stationed in Hawaii I actually built my own box and used a Mach 5 Audio IXL15.2. The box has a volume of 8.171 Ft3 and is ported and the sub does fairlywell but the box is a little big for the sub. I have not done the sub crawl butbeing 38" x 30" outside dimensions with 1" mdf - It could suffice as a coffee table and it is downfiring. An 18 would do much better in it and have been looking at a few optionsto include Mach 5 Audio's IXL 18 & FTW 21 and RE XXX 18 and one more I can'tremember off the top of my head. I have debated adding a EMP sub for the"mid" bass range as this sub does excel at the lower end of the Hzspectrum. maybe a single 10 or 12, but would need to do some research on howthe EM subs compare to others in the price range of 500 to 700 from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4665 Old Today, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys,
Has anyone mounted the E56Ci on a stand or on a wall? If so, what is the best way to do it. I guess i shouldnt be putting it flush against the wall.
Is there a floor stand available that would work well with this center?

HT Setup: EMPTek E55Ti (L&R), E56Ci (Center), E5Bi (surrounds), SVS PB-2000, DENON AVR x2100W, BENQ W1070
post #4653 of 4665 Old Today, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The center is huge so you might have a hard time. Have you considered a shelf the mount it on?

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
post #4654 of 4665 Old Today, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
The center is huge so you might have a hard time. Have you considered a shelf the mount it on?
Yeah, its huge all right..
It is currently on a shelf but I am planning to move my HT to another room where I am thinking of moving all the sources (BD player, receiver, xbox, etc.) on a rack on the right side of the seating to have a cleaner look.
So, the center will be the only piece in front under the projector screen.

Wanted to know if anyone has a similar set up and what they did for the center.

HT Setup: EMPTek E55Ti (L&R), E56Ci (Center), E5Bi (surrounds), SVS PB-2000, DENON AVR x2100W, BENQ W1070
post #4655 of 4665 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3dp View Post
Finally read a few pages back. Interesting you guys aretalking about subs. When I was stationed in Hawaii I actually built my own box and used a Mach 5 Audio IXL15.2. The box has a volume of 8.171 Ft3 and is ported and the sub does fairlywell but the box is a little big for the sub. I have not done the sub crawl butbeing 38" x 30" outside dimensions with 1" mdf - It could suffice as a coffee table and it is downfiring. An 18 would do much better in it and have been looking at a few optionsto include Mach 5 Audio's IXL 18 & FTW 21 and RE XXX 18 and one more I can'tremember off the top of my head. I have debated adding a EMP sub for the"mid" bass range as this sub does excel at the lower end of the Hzspectrum. maybe a single 10 or 12, but would need to do some research on howthe EM subs compare to others in the price range of 500 to 700 from others.
Currently, there really isn't an available EMPtek sub, well, thats not true, but they discountinued the Impression series subs (10i and 10i10i). I think the 10 and 12 inch one they offer right now cannot compete with Outlaw, SVS, HSU, or Rythmics in the price range...
But hold on, a new Impression seris sub is promised and soon. Sounds like it will be a 12 inch...and if I recall correctly, 300 watts. if that sub sits under 500 dollars and is as good as the 10i series, but able to hit lower and get louder, it will compete with the ID brand subs. If it is at 400 dollars, well, then you might have a real steal!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #4656 of 4665 Old Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Yeah, its huge all right..
It is currently on a shelf but I am planning to move my HT to another room where I am thinking of moving all the sources (BD player, receiver, xbox, etc.) on a rack on the right side of the seating to have a cleaner look.
So, the center will be the only piece in front under the projector screen.

Wanted to know if anyone has a similar set up and what they did for the center.
Something like this might work: http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtidf...and-dfc19.aspx

I own some VTI stands that I use for my surrounds, and they are high quality and very solid. You can fill them with a weighted material to give them even more stability, but this is what you would need for the E56Ci.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4657 of 4665 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Currently, there really isn't an available EMPtek sub, well, thats not true, but they discountinued the Impression series subs (10i and 10i10i). I think the 10 and 12 inch one they offer right now cannot compete with Outlaw, SVS, HSU, or Rythmics in the price range...
But hold on, a new Impression seris sub is promised and soon. Sounds like it will be a 12 inch...and if I recall correctly, 300 watts. if that sub sits under 500 dollars and is as good as the 10i series, but able to hit lower and get louder, it will compete with the ID brand subs. If it is at 400 dollars, well, then you might have a real steal!
Brian said they should have it out by the end of March, which is tomorrow, so hopefully we will see it shortly. I think if those are the basics of it, it should be a great option in the $500 range.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4658 of 4665 Old Today, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Brian said they should have it out by the end of March, which is tomorrow, so hopefully we will see it shortly. I think if those are the basics of it, it should be a great option in the $500 range.
March of 2015?

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
post #4659 of 4665 Old Today, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Off topic abit, but just wanted to share this with EMP owners. I recently bought a speaker pair from Dennis Murphy, as I wanted a really good ribbon tweeter speaker in my "mostly music" bedroom set up. This speaker doesn't show up on his web site yet, and I essential bought a "B" stock speaker that he built, tested and then sent to someone to review. I think only two pairs exist at this point. I will do a full review on it in a seperate thread when I have put a few more "ear miles" on the speaker. The one unique thing about this speaker is Dennis has installed a BMR driver as the midrange. The notion was this would allow for a more seemless crossover between midrange and tweeter, as there is greater overlap in the freq that a BMR can produce (in fact, the Cambridge Audio Aero2 using the BMR as a tweeter, which I think was a fail, but...)
Now, we EMP owners all know how outstanding the midrange driver is in the Impression series speakers! I was concern that after listening to those, I wouldn't like a speaker with a more recessed midrange and the BMR is a more recessed speaker for sure. No question, the EMP speakers have better midrange- you can argue that is their strength or perhaps their weakness, since I assume they wouldn't be complete "flat". The measurements Dennis showed me for this speaker are pretty flat, +/- 3 db from just below 40 hz to 20 khz, he said it is flat down to 32, but the graph didn't quite support that. I assume the EMP speakers have a bit of a hump in the midrange , which missing that will take some getting use to. Clearly, the scanspeaker 7" woofer is superior and produces lower and more accurate bass below 50 hz than the 6.5 of the Impression series. Of course, some of that is the crossover and that fact that the EMP are designed to not push it at the low end. Anyway, the Phil-BMR produces some very impressive and faithful bass!
And of course, what make the Phil-BMR sing is the RAAL ribbon tweeter- this is the same ribbon that is in the AA Sierra 2 and man, it really makes these speakers a full level better than most dome tweeter in terms of clarity and detail! From Classical, to Jazz and to Rock, the absolute clarity of the tweeter allows you to hear distinct string plucks, and it seems like horns become more distinct and clear. For musical detail, this speaker is really excellent!
Transmaniacon likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #4660 of 4665 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember your ribbon thread, I am anxious to see and hear these new speakers, they could be a very lucrative option depending on the final price as there aren't a lot of good affordable ribbon options.

I guess chane is it, but they don't use the RAAL and the cabinet finish leaves a lot to be desired.

post #4661 of 4665 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Now pick up the RBH sx-61/r and compare. Best dome tweeter ever made with an incredible midrange. They're cheaper than the Ascend Sierra 2's

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #4662 of 4665 Old Today, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
Now pick up the RBH sx-61/r and compare. Best dome tweeter ever made with an incredible midrange. They're cheaper than the Ascend Sierra 2's
I'd love a pair of those in the South American Rosewood.

post #4663 of 4665 Old Today, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Dennis just had his cabinet-maker leave, so the speaker I bought were in a part express cabinet with Piano black finish, not my favorite...
What he told me was he was going to make a few in the PE cabinets and have Jim Salk custom make him a few. The PE speakers would be priced below the AA Sierra 2, but the Salk- cabinets would not.The ARX ribbon might be great, but that is one UGLY plastic looking speaker- when I owned Polk monitor 40s, i remember at some point saying they had to go based on looks alone, and that decision was made much easier by the fact that they sounded and looked cheap! I know it is about SQ, but life is too short to spend hours staring at something ugly, which is why I have few mirrors in my house!
It would be interesting to A/B these versus a top of the line Dome tweeter...but not likely in my budget for awhile!

post #4664 of 4665 Unread Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Dennis just had his cabinet-maker leave, so the speaker I bought were in a part express cabinet with Piano black finish, not my favorite...
What he told me was he was going to make a few in the PE cabinets and have Jim Salk custom make him a few. The PE speakers would be priced below the AA Sierra 2, but the Salk- cabinets would not.The ARX ribbon might be great, but that is one UGLY plastic looking speaker- when I owned Polk monitor 40s, i remember at some point saying they had to go based on looks alone, and that decision was made much easier by the fact that they sounded and looked cheap! I know it is about SQ, but life is too short to spend hours staring at something ugly, which is why I have few mirrors in my house!
It would be interesting to A/B these versus a top of the line Dome tweeter...but not likely in my budget for awhile!
ARX/Chane use a planar tweeter, not a ribbon.

I wish RBH would get in the game a little more. More online sales, people posting on these forums, etc. They could easily be just as popular as Ascend..if not more.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #4665 of 4665 Unread Today, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The thing about RBH, seems like most products, you have to order through a dealer. Since they have retaken over EMPtek, I don't get why they don't offer both EMP as budget systems and RBH as higher end, but you don't have to pay dealer mark up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page