**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 158 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 219Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4711 of 4734 Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^ What makes you think EMP Tek will make a sub at the VTF-15H Mk2's performance level?
I agree, this EMP sub won't likely be the quality of this HSU sub, but as we discussed, if they can come in at 400-450 and provide more low LFE and output with the same quality than the 10i, they will have something!
dsrussell likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4712 of 4734 Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3dp View Post
Well 12 April and still no EMP sub. Waiting to see what they come out with as of right meow its between the new EMP sub or the HSU research VTF-15H MK2.
The vtf-15h (MKII) will likely be double the price of the EMP offering. Not even in the same ballpark. That HSU is a beast for the money


Watched Interstellar last night and I did have a few areas that were hard to understand, but overall I didn't find it too bad. Sounded absolutely incredible I'll tell ya that. We have a huge clock on the mantle and my wife looked over at one point and said "I hope the clock doesn't fall over! This is loud". The sound quality of the e1010i's are amazing for the price they went for (on sale). I can't imagine a few of these in a small room

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is online now  
post #4713 of 4734 Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Member
 
dp3dp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only reason I am looking at emp for a sub is exactly what you guys are saying. If it comes in at $400-$500, 2 can be had for the cost of the HSU. However it is to be determined the performance and if 2 would actually be better then the HSU. Neither are in stock so it's not really a big deal. What really irritates me is this hdcp 2.2. I was going to upgrade to Dolby Atmos this year but with hdcp on the horizon and getting a receiver every 5 years. Upgrading needs to be a little future proof.
dp3dp is offline  
post #4714 of 4734 Old 04-13-2015, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,335
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
The vtf-15h (MKII) will likely be double the price of the EMP offering. Not even in the same ballpark. That HSU is a beast for the money


Watched Interstellar last night and I did have a few areas that were hard to understand, but overall I didn't find it too bad. Sounded absolutely incredible I'll tell ya that. We have a huge clock on the mantle and my wife looked over at one point and said "I hope the clock doesn't fall over! This is loud". The sound quality of the e1010i's are amazing for the price they went for (on sale). I can't imagine a few of these in a small room
I watched it Saturday, definitely sounded fantastic! And yeah there were a couple scenes when the dialogue seemed muffled, but it was during loud/action scenes. Overall very good movie as well.

Spoiler!

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #4715 of 4734 Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Anyone else a little concern that EMP hasn't had the bookshelfl speaker in stock since black friday sales cleared them out? The subwoofer, a new design, you can understand....

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub

Last edited by Elihawk; 04-13-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Elihawk is online now  
post #4716 of 4734 Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,335
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 614
My guess is the port strike in California has really backed things up.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #4717 of 4734 Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Looks like my A3rx-c have shipped, so things are finally moving
Soulburner is online now  
post #4718 of 4734 Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Soulburner what speakers are you running now? Are you using e5Tis?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4719 of 4734 Old 04-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Soulburner what speakers are you running now? Are you using e5Tis?
Yep.

Got the A3rx-c set up today. Very well made for the price point. Their sound out of the box is...different. They may need significant break in, something reviewers and Jon Lane himself have said. At first listen, they made my E5Ti sound somewhat harsh by comparison, which isn't normally how I'd describe them. And there is very little bass to the Chanes, which is definitely not how most people describe these splitgap woofers. I'm letting them run for a while before I play with them more.

Last edited by Soulburner; 04-14-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #4720 of 4734 Old 04-14-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Interesting, since I recently pruchased Dennis Murphy's Phil- BMR, which has a RAAL ribbon tweeter (which i know isn't the same as the A3rx tweeter)...and of course, I am most accustom to listening to the e5Ti, like you. Anyway, the RAAL tweeter in the Philharmonic BMR is anything but harsh!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4721 of 4734 Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that the EMP sounded harsh by comparison. I'm hoping the Chanes open up with some playtime. I looped the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack while at work today and tomorrow I'll loop something with more bass to work those woofers.
Soulburner is online now  
post #4722 of 4734 Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Gotta ya! In my case, no way do the EMPs should shrill compared to the Phil-BMR, just less clarity and detail. And, the Phil_BMR with 7 inch woofer have amazing bass for a bookshelf speaker.
Anyway, i would love to hear a full review of the A3rx!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4723 of 4734 Old 04-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You guys might be *very* surprised to hear which one I think sounds better based purely on their naked, no EQ sound signature. Yes I realize "better" is subjective. My metric is basically which one sounds more life-like and less fake. Which one does more things right to create a convincingly real piano, guitar, or vocal sound.

But before I get into that, I want to see what Audyssey can do.

Last edited by Soulburner; 04-16-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #4724 of 4734 Old 04-16-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I feel like the e55ti is more inclined to compete against the A3 and A5. It's slightly more (brand new) than the A3 and slightly less (brand new) than the A5. Find a b-stock or used set of e55's and they're way less than the A5's and more like the A3's. I mean I know you could say the same about finding the ARX used, but I know that RBH has changed the midrange drivers and a few crossover tweeks since the E5ti (smaller tower) came out and they moved to the larger tower.

Either way, the ARX/Chane/whateverthey'recallednow are on my want to hear list. I don't listen to enough music or watch enough movies to need a $3,000 pair of speakers. Maybe when my daughter gets older and we have a dedicated theater room, but for now these budget setups are plenty good. The A5 and Klipsch RP-280F are definitely 2 that I want to hear. I've got a friend that's a manager at BestBuy so I've been thinking about asking him how much he can get the RP-280F/RP-450C on his discount through Klipsch. Wish I had the setup to do bookshelves and better subs, but oh well.

The more I watch movies and listen to music, the more I feel like I'm looking for a little more snap from kick drums, a little more top end sparkle while keeping a good midrange. I listen to a lot of acoustic rock/rock (think pearl jam, alice in chains, etc to john mayer, ryan adams, mark knopfler, etc). Sometimes I feel like they're a tad too laid bad in certain areas even with Audyssey engaged. With MultEQXT off...I don't even want to listen. I swear my room is a midrange/high-freq. trap or something.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i

Last edited by ousooner2; 04-16-2015 at 08:51 AM.
ousooner2 is online now  
post #4725 of 4734 Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Well, just recently I put my Phil-BMR-RAAL speaker in my theater for a quick listen. While I didn't really A/B them with my EMPe5Ti, I listen to a couple music pieces and watched a couple scene from movies that I am pretty familar with. The high end coming form the RAAL ribbon is spectacular and crystal clear, but I am not sure it is 5 x better- the difference in price! The EMP are pretty damn good for a 200/pr speaker! Now the bass, well, I shut down my subs that the bass is 5X better for sure, but that is pretty much irrelevant with a good sub. The Phil are NOT midrange hot, perhaps even a little recessed... so that made some difference in the SQ and especially dialogue, but then again, I was still using my EMP center.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4726 of 4734 Old 04-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
I feel like the e55ti is more inclined to compete against the A3 and A5. It's slightly more (brand new) than the A3 and slightly less (brand new) than the A5. Find a b-stock or used set of e55's and they're way less than the A5's and more like the A3's. I mean I know you could say the same about finding the ARX used, but I know that RBH has changed the midrange drivers and a few crossover tweeks since the E5ti (smaller tower) came out and they moved to the larger tower.

Either way, the ARX/Chane/whateverthey'recallednow are on my want to hear list. I don't listen to enough music or watch enough movies to need a $3,000 pair of speakers. Maybe when my daughter gets older and we have a dedicated theater room, but for now these budget setups are plenty good. The A5 and Klipsch RP-280F are definitely 2 that I want to hear. I've got a friend that's a manager at BestBuy so I've been thinking about asking him how much he can get the RP-280F/RP-450C on his discount through Klipsch. Wish I had the setup to do bookshelves and better subs, but oh well.

The more I watch movies and listen to music, the more I feel like I'm looking for a little more snap from kick drums, a little more top end sparkle while keeping a good midrange. I listen to a lot of acoustic rock/rock (think pearl jam, alice in chains, etc to john mayer, ryan adams, mark knopfler, etc). Sometimes I feel like they're a tad too laid bad in certain areas even with Audyssey engaged. With MultEQXT off...I don't even want to listen. I swear my room is a midrange/high-freq. trap or something.
At this point I'm going to say the Chanes are probably not for you. The EMP speakers have more "sparkle".

With that said, what do we know about this supposed midrange driver change? From their outside appearance, the driver in my 2010 E5Ti looks the same as my 2014 R5Bi.
Soulburner is online now  
post #4727 of 4734 Old 04-18-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Well, just recently I put my Phil-BMR-RAAL speaker in my theater for a quick listen. While I didn't really A/B them with my EMPe5Ti, I listen to a couple music pieces and watched a couple scene from movies that I am pretty familar with. The high end coming form the RAAL ribbon is spectacular and crystal clear, but I am not sure it is 5 x better- the difference in price! The EMP are pretty damn good for a 200/pr speaker! Now the bass, well, I shut down my subs that the bass is 5X better for sure, but that is pretty much irrelevant with a good sub. The Phil are NOT midrange hot, perhaps even a little recessed... so that made some difference in the SQ and especially dialogue, but then again, I was still using my EMP center.
Get you a pair of the r55's and big center!!

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is online now  
post #4728 of 4734 Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I have never had an issue with the e5Ti and I sit close enough that the speakers are fine.
off topic, but I recently tried a Marantz reciever (SR6009, 1200 dollars) that cost 6 time my yamaha RXv373 (around $180). Lots of cool, features, 7.1 and more power than my yahama. I know there is debate between audio enthusiast about whether a higher quality amp can make a difference in SQ, but this amp sure didn't. Even at high volumes, higher than I normally care to listen, I could hear no difference in SQ. I am sure it would have some cool feature and such, which I didn't explore (friend brought it over and wanted to hear it, since his speakers haven't arrived yet).

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4729 of 4734 Old Today, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I see another month has come and is 2/3 gone and no Impression series sub yet and EMP is still out of e5Bis!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4730 of 4734 Old Today, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Lucky Strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I see another month has come and is 2/3 gone and no Impression series sub yet and EMP is still out of e5Bis!
Yeah it kinda sucks...I've been doing all sorts of research on what bookshelfs to buy for a 5.1 setup and when i finally get close to pulling the trigger on the emptek's i see that they're out of stock and seemingly have been for a while.
Lucky Strike is online now  
post #4731 of 4734 Old Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 852
It does suck. They initially said late February or early March. We are now in late April .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #4732 of 4734 Old Today, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,119
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Cant be pulling in a ton of revenue right now...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #4733 of 4734 Old Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I'll sell my e5b's for the right price lol

Offers for the entire 5.2??

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is online now  
post #4734 of 4734 Unread Today, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I have my thoughts written up on my E5Ti vs A3rx-c. However, after running Audyssey XT32 on the Chanes, I can't compare them to the EMPs.


I'm looking for a way to A/B two sets of speakers WITH Audyssey correction on each. But I'm thinking I'll need two identical AVRs won't I?
Soulburner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off