**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 159 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 221Likes

post #4741 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Ousooner2, you suffering from upgrad-itis!?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Maybe. Just when I think I am these guys reel me back in. I just don't listen to enough music or watch enough movies to really want to spend more ya know. I think if I could change anything about my setup it'd be more bass and more sub35hz bass and a little more detail in the top end. Kind of like how a good Klipsch (reference or rf-7II type stuff) does with detail in movies. Sometimes I feel like I could be a little more immersed in the movie with these 2 things.

..bad thing is I'm limited on space (somewhat) and placement. Subs need to be by the tv stand and fronts, plus I only have 23" of depth I'd like to work with before the subs stick out more than I'd like (past the tv stand). The e1010i's are 19" deep, but the cabling and grilles make it about flush. Might have an 1" or so more than I could move them forward. When trying to find new fronts I don't think anything will blend well with the EMP subs so they'd have to go too. Then you're at around $1,500 for that 5.2 setup...

...I don't think I can find another 5.2 that will be this good for that much. Not even close. So I revert back to being happy with them and keeping them

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #4743 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
Maybe. Just when I think I am these guys reel me back in. I just don't listen to enough music or watch enough movies to really want to spend more ya know. I think if I could change anything about my setup it'd be more bass and more sub35hz bass and a little more detail in the top end. Kind of like how a good Klipsch (reference or rf-7II type stuff) does with detail in movies. Sometimes I feel like I could be a little more immersed in the movie with these 2 things.

..bad thing is I'm limited on space (somewhat) and placement. Subs need to be by the tv stand and fronts, plus I only have 23" of depth I'd like to work with before the subs stick out more than I'd like (past the tv stand). The e1010i's are 19" deep, but the cabling and grilles make it about flush. Might have an 1" or so more than I could move them forward. When trying to find new fronts I don't think anything will blend well with the EMP subs so they'd have to go too. Then you're at around $1,500 for that 5.2 setup...

...I don't think I can find another 5.2 that will be this good for that much. Not even close. So I revert back to being happy with them and keeping them
Yeah that's my thinking as well, it will take a lot of money to get a worthwhile upgrade, and it's hard enough to find time for a 2 hour movie more than once or twice a week.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4744 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a way to hang the R55Wi's from the ceiling? Or has anyone done it and could the share pictures? One side of my listening area is open to the kitchen and currently a E5Bi bookshelf occupies that space but I planned on moving the bookshelves to the rear once the R55Wi's came in but am currently debating this giving the room.
post #4745 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Yeah I am not sure you can save an Audyssey config and load a different one, I think it would just be easiest to A/B them without any EQ, and then record your thoughts on each with Audyssey.
And that's the problem. The time between swapping them out and running Audyssey on the 2nd set stretches the limits of my auditory memory.
post #4746 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
And that's the problem. The time between swapping them out and running Audyssey on the 2nd set stretches the limits of my auditory memory.
What AVR do you have? The 2013 and newer Denons have a web-based save/load configuration option. You could wire the speakers to an A/B switch, run Audyssey for config A, save, run Audyssey for config B, save, load the appropriate config (takes 5 - 10min IIRC), and bounce back and forth. Don't know if yours has that ability...
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #4747 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
What AVR do you have? The 2013 and newer Denons have a web-based save/load configuration option. You could wire the speakers to an A/B switch, run Audyssey for config A, save, run Audyssey for config B, save, load the appropriate config (takes 5 - 10min IIRC), and bounce back and forth. Don't know if yours has that ability...
Denon X4000? I forgot about that. That may save me a lot of trouble.

Last edited by Soulburner; 04-22-2015 at 03:06 PM.
post #4748 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

To make an analogy to Ron White joke about a certain part of a woman's anatomy (look it up, not going to put in in writing)...once you have heard one speaker, you want to hear them all!
Transmaniacon likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #4749 of 4758 Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

That's kind of how I'm feeling (about speakers ). It would be cool to keep pitting the winner of each of my comparisons up against another speaker. Like a game of speaker elimination.
post #4750 of 4758 Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
That's awesome! Should make comparing the EQed speakers much easier.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4751 of 4758 Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Denon X4000? I forgot about that. That may save me a lot of trouble.
Yup, that'll do it. Just make sure to view the saved config in a hex editor, verifying it isn't all zeroes. See The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ (pretty sure you already have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon
That's awesome! Should make comparing the EQed speakers much easier.
It can be, when it works properly . And assuming the 5 - 10 minutes between config loads isn't so long that you forget how the previous setup sounded. I know it wouldn't work for me at my age. What were we talking about?
post #4752 of 4758 Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Soulburner, it is interesting that it appears that Audyssey has had a larger impact on the Arx1 speaker than the EMP. Not sure what that means...

i was thinking about this last night, while messing with my EMP10i10i...why would EMP not wait to discontinue the 10i Impression sub till after they launched a replacement? Outlaw sold the LFM-1 and LFM-1 plus until after the launched the x12. I could see them just dropping subs, if they didn't think they could compete/make money, but to drop a sub and promise a replacement, then go almost a year before that replacement is intact (or longer) makes no sense.

post #4753 of 4758 Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
They obviously have supply chain issues, maybe engineering too?
post #4754 of 4758 Old 04-24-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I would guess organizational over engineering issues. When were they bought by RBH, was it recent?
post #4755 of 4758 Old 04-24-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

RBH seem to retake EMP late in 2014. However, I am not sure that RBH engineers weren't involved with EMPtek speakers all along. Something just doesn't add up and makes you wonder which company is incompetent or whether EMP was set up to fail, making it a plus by minus to the parent company (as D Trump use to say, it is not always a bad thing when one of your companies fails!?). Complete speculation on my part, but, if they sold it, I wouldn't buy EMP stock right now.

post #4756 of 4758 Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
On the other hand, what if they are just using Apple like secrecy about their new awesome eSystem?
post #4757 of 4758 Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
RBH seem to retake EMP late in 2014.
They must have changed their model numbers and replaced their logos immediately, because all the speakers from the holiday sales (and probably earlier) had RBH on them.
post #4758 of 4758 Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 859
I think everyone is familiar with this notice.

“CONSUMER NOTICE: [Layton, Utah — October 30, 2014] RBH Sound is excited to announce it has acquired all of the rights, assets and management of the EMP Tek, LLC company. For EMP Tek customers, it’s business as usual, but better. While the branding and naming of the majority of EMP’s products will be changing to RBH, the excellent customer service and value EMP’s customers have come to love and enjoy remains intact. Additionally, those who have purchased EMP products will continue to enjoy the same warranty, administered by the same reliable and competent staff.

RBH Sound vows to continue EMP Tek’s mission of providing high performance audio products at an exceptional value. During the next few months while we transition the branding and product names from EMP to RBH, please know that any products ordered on the EMPTek.com web site are, in fact, genuine RBH brand products with a fully valid and supported warranty. If you have any questions regarding RBH Sound’s acquisition of EMP Tek, please contact us.”

After their holiday sale, in which they sold out almost every product, we learned that there were expectations of being restocked by late February or early March. Now I haven’t talked to Brian at EMP Tek to get any specifics, but even the West Coast labor strikes were over by late February. But we’re in late April now, and nothing has changed—no products. We can all speculate, but if RBH Sound stands by their “vow” to EMP customers, I don’t see those products being discontinued. Then again, it wouldn’t be the first time a company blew smoke…

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems