**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1030Likes

post #4771 of 7928 Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm just going to say it - if you're going to run without room correction, the sightly lower priced EMP Impressions speakers sound better. The Chane Arx has a better tweeter, probably the best you'll find without spending thousands, but the midrange is just too recessed. In contrast, EMPs uncorrected midrange is just right, bringing a convincing concert into your room rather than being stuck in a box. Thoughts change with Audyssey, however. Full review coming soon.
Cool. Interested to hear your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Interesting, since I thought my EMP speakers got a lot better, especially on the high end, after running EQ. But yes, I doubt a dome tweeter can complete with even a "not high priced" ribbon tweeter. The EMP speakers have convinced me that when I step up in my theater, my new speakers will have a designated midrange driver...no desire to do so at this time, however.
Mine too. MultEQ XT brought the upper midrange and top end to life. I feel they're WAY too recessed without EQ, but I'm dealing with a large room and possibly something else causing cancellations.

The Chane tweeter is a planar, not a ribbon. Even then, there are dome tweeters that are just as good as stuff like the RAAL. Pros and cons to both really. I think if Chane made a larger speaker (the A5 is pretty small) and added a little curvature or something then they'd be on to something. A MTM-WW with some 6.5" woofers, dual midrange and the planar would be lovely.

Currently Auditioning: Klipsch RP-150M
SOLD: EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 7928 Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Audyssey definitely helps the EMPs, but they don't need quite as much correction.

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-03-2015 at 12:09 PM.
post #4773 of 7928 Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
True about all kinds of good and bad tweeters, but I have heard some REALLY bad dome tweeters (my Polk M40s, the Tweeter in the Pioneer AJ that EVERY loves) and have yet to hear a bad ribbon- even my cheapo SLS Q line speakers, with nothing below 130 hz and a cheap ugly design, are damn good at the high end. They have a the cheapest possible ribbon and while this won't play loud, man, the detail at low to moderate volume is not that much worst than my Philharmonic-BMRs!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about the A5s!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver

post #4774 of 7928 Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
putting the large center to use is proving to be a rewarding interest
this speaker set is well suited to my needs and I thank the forum for the info of their existence and also many other products and ideas in discussion
loosing the coming soon designation for the center speaker was a challenge this two months,thank goodness that's over
some what big but sounds very good for the expense of space

1.AsusXonarD2X...Kenwood8540...CarverTFM55x....... .901Bose
2.nVidiaHDmi...DENON AVR-4520CI...EMPTeKR55Tix4... R56Ci...SVSUltra/2...Toshiba55WX800U
post #4775 of 7928 Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I posted my thoughts on the A3rx-c vs EMP E5Ti in the Chane thread. I did my best to explain the characteristics of each and what I think each one does better.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #4776 of 7928 Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Soulb, very nice write up! I need to bring my Phil-BMRs into my theater and play Interstellar...see how the ribbon handles that soundtrack!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #4777 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This thread is getting pretty slow, likely because of no speakers for awhile..but now they're back so hopefully we get some new owners, new pics, etc! I haven't posted a pic of the setup in a while so...

Fully Clothed

Naked!

FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
post #4778 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Looks great!! Really wish I had jumped on a pair of those es1010i when they were on sale, talk about an intimidating sound stage

Are those the SVS Isolation Feet under your E56Ci?

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #4779 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey all,

I finally made the jump into getting a home theater setup on a budget. I've been sick for a couple months dealing with muscular/neurological issues that docs still can't figure out . Hobbies have always served as a good distraction for me when going through tough times. I realized while watching avengers on my tv and having low end frequencies cut out on the tv, that I was done listening to that crap. I decided to make the jump and get a better setup. I was working on a budget, and stretched it a little, but hopefully I picked some ok pieces and it will sound half decent. I got an Open Box (Purchased and returned by someone same day because of invisible scratch on the side) Sony STR-DN1050 for $420. It retailed for 600, they wanted like 550, i walked out with it for 420. I was skeptical buying a sony receiver, but after seeing some positive reviews, I decided to give it a try as it was in my price range. For speakers I was considering ordering the andrew jones pioneer 5.1 set, until i stumbled upon this thread. I decided I'd give the emptek/rbh speakers a try. I ordered 4 of the rb5i bookshelf speakers and a R5Ci center channel speaker. Just checked fed ex tracking from work and they arrived today . My father had a Klipsch sub he bought for around 700 bucks 10+ years ago that He said I can borrow until I can afford to buy a decent one myself. I got some 12 gauge wire, banana plugs, some wall mounts for the bookshelves, a sub cable, and a few movies to try out the new setup based on reviews here. (Need for Speed, Pacific Rim, and Tron). Oh and the speakers are the redish finish . Cost me about 1100 total all said and done. Hopefully I made some good choices for my budget and it will sound good. Especially coming from the panasonic plasma built in speaker . I'll post pictures when I have it all set up. Getting everything configured on the receiver to sound correct is my only concern as I've never done this before. I'm pretty tech savy, so hopefully it's not too bad.

-Dan
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #4780 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Barley, sorry to hear about your health, but congrats on the speaker purchase and welcome to the EMP family. Don't worry too much, I am not expert either. Getting your system to sound pretty good isn't too hard, getting it to sound the best it can, well, takes a little work. Even a poorly set up system will sound so much better than TV speakers. For me, it has been a gradual evolution. Move a speaker a little, listen, if I like, run YPAO.

A couple movies that will really give your system a good test run...Live, Die, Repeat and Interstellar (be forwarned, don't turn the volume up to muc...people have blown speakers), Battle for LA, Guardian of the Galaxy, Fury...all movies with very active surround tracks and great bass.

Sooner, that front stage has an intimidating look to it!
BarleyJuice likes this.

Last edited by Elihawk; 05-07-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #4781 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Welcome to the cool kids club!

I think you did make a good choice, Sony really outdid themselves with this generation of receivers, you get a lot for your money. I think you are going to love the EMPs, and let us know your thoughts/impressions.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #4782 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Looks great!! Really wish I had jumped on a pair of those es1010i when they were on sale, talk about an intimidating sound stage

Are those the SVS Isolation Feet under your E56Ci?
They are a Home Depot special lol. They're just felt pads that you'd put under chairs, etc. I've stacked about 4 together and called it a day. Not the cleanest look from a foot away, but you don't notice for the most part.

Definitely an intimidating sound stage! Not only do these look great, they sound awesome. You're looking at a sub-$1,500 5.2 setup....now that's incredible. I'd be happy if they were regular looking speakers, but that just adds to the overall appeal. A few minor gripes like the tweeter being a tad too low in level for my tastes (better on the r5 bookshelves) and a few other things. Overall I couldn't be happier with the price/performance ratio.

These es1010i's at like $275-300 or whatever they were going for there at the end are crazy good. I was playing some 'chill' EDM (Hey Now - London Grammar) earlier and I just kept bumping the subs up and up. They took it like champs. Quite a bit of excursion and they kept their composure for the most part. I remember the Klipsch rw-12d that everyone praised would fall on it's face and become extremely boomy at anything past normal listening levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyJuice View Post
Hey all,

I finally made the jump into getting a home theater setup on a budget. I've been sick for a couple months dealing with muscular/neurological issues that docs still can't figure out . Hobbies have always served as a good distraction for me when going through tough times. I realized while watching avengers on my tv and having low end frequencies cut out on the tv, that I was done listening to that crap. I decided to make the jump and get a better setup. I was working on a budget, and stretched it a little, but hopefully I picked some ok pieces and it will sound half decent. I got an Open Box (Purchased and returned by someone same day because of invisible scratch on the side) Sony STR-DN1050 for $420. It retailed for 600, they wanted like 550, i walked out with it for 420. I was skeptical buying a sony receiver, but after seeing some positive reviews, I decided to give it a try as it was in my price range. For speakers I was considering ordering the andrew jones pioneer 5.1 set, until i stumbled upon this thread. I decided I'd give the emptek/rbh speakers a try. I ordered 4 of the rb5i bookshelf speakers and a R5Ci center channel speaker. Just checked fed ex tracking from work and they arrived today . My father had a Klipsch sub he bought for around 700 bucks 10+ years ago that He said I can borrow until I can afford to buy a decent one myself. I got some 12 gauge wire, banana plugs, some wall mounts for the bookshelves, a sub cable, and a few movies to try out the new setup based on reviews here. (Need for Speed, Pacific Rim, and Tron). Oh and the speakers are the redish finish . Cost me about 1100 total all said and done. Hopefully I made some good choices for my budget and it will sound good. Especially coming from the panasonic plasma built in speaker . I'll post pictures when I have it all set up. Getting everything configured on the receiver to sound correct is my only concern as I've never done this before. I'm pretty tech savy, so hopefully it's not too bad.

-Dan
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a good setup coming along. Post some pictures and initial impressions.

post #4783 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I got the 10i10i for 325, on sale but before the closeout! Yes, I would have liked to have two, but suprisingly, it plays very well with my Outlaw LFm-1 plus. The Outlaw takes care of the heavy hitting and the EMP plays clean, loud mid lows. I have never used a meter to level match, just my ears and adjustement of the gain, so I have the gain on the EMP at about 50% and the Outlaw at about 40%...The only problem I ever had with the EMPtek sub was that it would bottom out on certain scenes of movies (Oblivion is where I first noticed) where the bass was comfortable for most of the movie- with the Outlaw/EMP subs playing in concert, I never have this issue.

post #4784 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Barley, sorry to hear about your health, but congrats on the speaker purchase and welcome to the EMP family. Don't worry too much, I am not expert either. Getting your system to sound pretty good isn't too hard, getting it to sound the best it can, well, takes a little work. Even a poorly set up system will sound so much better than TV speakers. For me, it has been a gradual evolution. Move a speaker a little, listen, if I like, run YPAO.

A couple movies that will really give your system a good test run...Live, Die, Repeat and Interstellar (be forwarned, don't turn the volume up to muc...people have blown speakers), Battle for LA, Guardian of the Galaxy, Fury...all movies with very active surround tracks and great bass.

Sooner, that front stage has an intimidating look to it!
Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'm looking for some good Blu-Ray concerts now too. There isn't a Daft Punk concert of the Tron soundtrack is there? I have to believe that would sound excellent. I love most music, from Van Morison, to Michael Buble, Classical Piano, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, 90's Alternative, modern electronic stuff, underground hip hop, you name it. Prefer something that's visually appealing as well.
post #4785 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyJuice View Post
Thank you so much for the recommendations! I'm looking for some good Blu-Ray concerts now too. There isn't a Daft Punk concert of the Tron soundtrack is there? I have to believe that would sound excellent. I love most music, from Van Morison, to Michael Buble, Classical Piano, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, 90's Alternative, modern electronic stuff, underground hip hop, you name it. Prefer something that's visually appealing as well.
First, I’m sorry to hear about your health issues. Get well soon. Second, I think you did an excellent job picking out your speakers. I preferred the R5Bi’s over those that cost quite a bit more. I think you’ll find the midrange superb and the highs are very nice, even at very loud levels. For your subwoofer, we would need to know the volume of your room and if it is open to other rooms … and, of course, a budget.

There are an almost endless array of really good bass movies, so you won’t have problems trying out your system once you get that sub. As far as concert videos, and since you are a Pink Foyd fan, look at the obvious ones:

1. Pink Floyd: The Wall (the movie)
2. Roger Waters: The Wall - Live in Berlin
3. Pink Floyd: Pulse
4. Roger Waters: In the Flesh (this is especially good)
5. David Gilmour: Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Enjoy.
philmike21 and BarleyJuice like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4786 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great suggestions above, if you can get yourself a SACD player, Dark Side of the Moon and Brothers in Arms are two of the best ever recorded.

A great Blu Ray concert to get is The Eages: Live at Melbourne. Dolby DTS-MA and it sounds incredible, really will put those surrounds to work.

If you dont mind violence, Lone Survivor with Mark Whalburg sounds REALLY good, might be my favorite movie for showing what your surround sound can do.
BarleyJuice likes this.

post #4787 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ I agree whole-heartedly with your suggestions, Trans. The Brothers in Arms SACD is exceptional, while the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon was the best that I’ve heard for that old of an album (I have it on vinyl and CD, now SACD). Still, Steely Dan’s, Gaucho is probably the best recorded SACD I’ve ever heard. As far as film is concerned, Lone Survivor was simply amazing. One can really feel the pain. One of my all-time favorite movies.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4788 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
This thread is getting pretty slow, likely because of no speakers for awhile..but now they're back so hopefully we get some new owners, new pics, etc! I haven't posted a pic of the setup in a while so...
You can probably get better sub coverage by moving them to the sides of the room facing each other, or next best one front, one back on opposite sides. The avrant podcast is always preaching this. Sometimes the WAF does not agree, but I was forced into the front/back due to my room layout.
post #4789 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^ I agree whole-heartedly with your suggestions, Trans. The Brothers in Arms SACD is exceptional, while the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon was the best that I’ve heard for that old of an album (I have it on vinyl and CD, now SACD). Still, Steely Dan’s, Gaucho is probably the best recorded SACD I’ve ever heard. As far as film is concerned, Lone Survivor was simply amazing. One can really feel the pain. One of my all-time favorite movies.
I forgot about Gaucho, and Aja for that matter, gotta be top 5 for audiophile albums.

Lone Survivor is truly an experience, you are right in the action and it never lets up.

post #4790 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For a real rock and roll old timer like myself, Tommy Bolin was ahead of his time for recording prowess and made some amazing recording before his early exist from this earth- he only had two solo album before his death and both are excellent. Post Toastees will give speakers/ a subwoofer a workout. Definately agree on the Brothers in Arms CD
Lone Survivor might have the best surround content of any movie I have ever heard, with 2012 a close second. A lot of stuff going on behind you in those movies. Neither movie has really great bass content, but not bad either!
I really break down movies three ways:
1.Good movie, but some of the older classic movies just dont have great soundtracks. Cool hand Luke, for instance. Good acting, screenplay, etc
2. great soundtracks, surround content, and bass. LOTS of movie have excellent soundtracks, but just aren't very good movies. Zombie movies, for instances, tend to be poorly acted and bad plots, but can have some amazing surround sound content
3. Those movies that are 1 and 2. Pretty rare to find movie that are good and have great soundtracks!
philmike21 likes this.

post #4791 of 7928 Old 05-07-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
You can probably get better sub coverage by moving them to the sides of the room facing each other, or next best one front, one back on opposite sides. The avrant podcast is always preaching this. Sometimes the WAF does not agree, but I was forced into the front/back due to my room layout.
I'm definitely going to try the side layout, but I'm afraid that means everyone will have to step over them to get into the seats. It should work though if I turn everything around so that you enter from the front.
post #4792 of 7928 Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would love to see Dennis Murphy mod a EMPtek tower with a RAAL ribbon tweeter to make a "high end" sounding speaker w/o the bass! It likely isn't possible due to cabinet design, but man with the excellent midrange and midbass down to 70hz or so, that speaker would rock with a ribbon tweeter and a custom Murphy crossover!
Maybe a better dome tweeter would be more likely...

post #4793 of 7928 Old 05-08-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would love to see Dennis Murphy mod a EMPtek tower with a RAAL ribbon tweeter to make a "high end" sounding speaker w/o the bass! It likely isn't possible due to cabinet design, but man with the excellent midrange and midbass down to 70hz or so, that speaker would rock with a ribbon tweeter and a custom Murphy crossover!
Maybe a better dome tweeter would be more likely...
I would buy this in a heartbeat!

post #4794 of 7928 Old 05-10-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thinking of switching to emptek. I want to get two of the R5BI and the R5CI with two E3B for surrounds. Then pair with an SVS SB 2000.

Anyone have similar?
post #4795 of 7928 Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
Thinking of switching to emptek. I want to get two of the R5BI and the R5CI with two E3B for surrounds. Then pair with an SVS SB 2000.

Anyone have similar?
I haven't seen much discussion on the E3Bs. But if you have the budget I would see if you can make the R5Bi happen all the way around. If you have the space, see if you can change the R5Ci for another R5Bi. That will sound better for all listeners and save a few bucks, too.
post #4796 of 7928 Old 05-10-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I haven't seen much discussion on the E3Bs. But if you have the budget I would see if you can make the R5Bi happen all the way around. If you have the space, see if you can change the R5Ci for another R5Bi. That will sound better for all listeners and save a few bucks, too.
Curious as to why you recommend the R5Bi vs their center channel? I do technically have the space, just that this is for my living room and I am trying to keep this a bit more compact.
post #4797 of 7928 Old 05-10-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Curious as to why you recommend the R5Bi vs their center channel? I do technically have the space, just that this is for my living room and I am trying to keep this a bit more compact.
In general, horizontal speakers exhibit worse off-axis response left to right than vertical speakers. The horizontal design is merely to conform with your decor. It isn't terrible to use a horizontal speaker, but it is a compromise.
post #4798 of 7928 Old 05-10-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have similar?
Sounds like a great system to me. I think you'll be quite surprised by the quality of sound. And depending upon your room size and seating arrangement, dual SB-2000 should work very well indeed. Right now I have the R5Bi's as my front stage and have a PSA XS30 doing the heavy lifting.

I use the R5Bi’s as a center channel, for the same reason Soulburner stated. I wanted all matching speakers. If I were only going to watch movies, I probably would get the E3b’s for the surrounds since they are smaller and would fit better in my room. But since I have over two dozen concert videos, I’m looking for identical timbre all around, so I’ll probably go with the R5Bi’s for my surrounds as well … once I decide to run the blasted cables up through the walls and across the attic … which I don’t seem to be in a great deal of a hurry to do. .

Still, most people opt for the R5Ci and have said it has worked extremely well for them. Heck, others have opted to go with the R56Ci, even with R5Bi fronts .

post #4799 of 7928 Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As pointed out, horizontal center channel speakers are a compromise desgined to fit under or over flat screen TVs, but most of us don't really notice to much "compromise". But if you have room, 3 x e5Bi for fronts would be the best for SQ.
Int terms of speakers, you have to look some to find a better quality speaker for 225/pr or less. And they look great as well!

post #4800 of 7928 Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I emailed Brian last week about the new sub, he got back to me today and said they are finalizing the website and it should be up any day now. Looks like the long wait is almost over, anxious to see what they have been cooking up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page