**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 160 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #4771 of 4776 Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm just going to say it - if you're going to run without room correction, the sightly lower priced EMP Impressions speakers sound better. The Chane Arx has a better tweeter, probably the best you'll find without spending thousands, but the midrange is just too recessed. In contrast, EMPs uncorrected midrange is just right, bringing a convincing concert into your room rather than being stuck in a box. Thoughts change with Audyssey, however. Full review coming soon.
Cool. Interested to hear your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Interesting, since I thought my EMP speakers got a lot better, especially on the high end, after running EQ. But yes, I doubt a dome tweeter can complete with even a "not high priced" ribbon tweeter. The EMP speakers have convinced me that when I step up in my theater, my new speakers will have a designated midrange driver...no desire to do so at this time, however.
Mine too. MultEQ XT brought the upper midrange and top end to life. I feel they're WAY too recessed without EQ, but I'm dealing with a large room and possibly something else causing cancellations.

The Chane tweeter is a planar, not a ribbon. Even then, there are dome tweeters that are just as good as stuff like the RAAL. Pros and cons to both really. I think if Chane made a larger speaker (the A5 is pretty small) and added a little curvature or something then they'd be on to something. A MTM-WW with some 6.5" woofers, dual midrange and the planar would be lovely.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4776 Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Audyssey definitely helps the EMPs, but they don't need quite as much correction.

Last edited by Soulburner; Today at 12:09 PM.
post #4773 of 4776 Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 355
True about all kinds of good and bad tweeters, but I have heard some REALLY bad dome tweeters (my Polk M40s, the Tweeter in the Pioneer AJ that EVERY loves) and have yet to hear a bad ribbon- even my cheapo SLS Q line speakers, with nothing below 130 hz and a cheap ugly design, are damn good at the high end. They have a the cheapest possible ribbon and while this won't play loud, man, the detail at low to moderate volume is not that much worst than my Philharmonic-BMRs!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about the A5s!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #4774 of 4776 Old Today, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
putting the large center to use is proving to be a rewarding interest
this speaker set is well suited to my needs and I thank the forum for the info of their existence and also many other products and ideas in discussion
loosing the coming soon designation for the center speaker was a challenge this two months,thank goodness that's over
some what big but sounds very good for the expense of space

1.AsusXonarD2X...Kenwood8540...CarverTFM55x....... .901Bose
2.nVidiaHDmi...DENON AVR-4520CI...EMPTeKR55Tix4... R56Ci...SVSUltra/2...Toshiba55WX800U
post #4775 of 4776 Old Today, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I posted my thoughts on the A3rx-c vs EMP E5Ti in the Chane thread. I did my best to explain the characteristics of each and what I think each one does better.
post #4776 of 4776 Old Today, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Soulb, very nice write up! I need to bring my Phil-BMRs into my theater and play Interstellar...see how the ribbon handles that soundtrack!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems