**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 166 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 261Likes
post #4951 of 4971 Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Yes indeed. Both will have an air about them and around the instruments, creating a bit more depth and realism. Great tweeters that soar, but they do get pricey.
Yep that's exactly what I heard. Maybe some day when I have money for multiple setups, I'll have a music room with something like that. For now, these will have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4971 Old 05-27-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Chane A3rx-c.

I believe now that the A5rx-c would likely have been a better fit for me, but I'm happy with the direction I went. I think I got something that smaller drivers can't compete with. Especially when it comes to drums and bass guitar.

The EMPs are much closer in sound to the RA's than the Chanes are, so they will make good surrounds for me. Not saying they are close, just that their sound heads more in that direction. I will get some R5Bi or R55Wi soon after I move and I figure out what's best for the new room.
you didn't have those very long, if I remember correctly. Did you return them, sell them or keep?
Yes, this damn hobby, if you hear one speaker, well, you want to hear them all!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #4953 of 4971 Old 05-27-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I returned them after giving them about 120 hours of break in. My final placement sounded the best but I was never satisfied with the midrange character.

You're right, once you start auditioning speakers, you want to hear more. And, my understanding of speakers and audio is much greater after spending 6 months on these forums. My original thoughts on the EMPs were really not positive, but after spending more time with them and other speakers, along with putting to use new knowledge about placement, acoustics and room correction, my thoughts changed. During all of that, I was also forming ideas about what I liked in a speaker which is something I didn't really know before. It takes experience to understand why audio geeks do what they do, and I get it now.

You know you're a speaker geek when the first thing you think about when looking at houses is speaker placement.
post #4954 of 4971 Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
You're right, once you start auditioning speakers, you want to hear more. And, my understanding of speakers and audio is much greater after spending 6 months on these forums.

It takes experience to understand why audio geeks do what they do, and I get it now.

You know you're a speaker geek when the first thing you think about when looking at houses is speaker placement.
Be careful, because the merry-go-round can keep turning. I have had around 90 sets of speakers in my home.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4955 of 4971 Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Be careful, because the merry-go-round can keep turning. I have had around 90 sets of speakers in my home.
The frequency in which you audition speakers ... why am I not surprised? .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #4956 of 4971 Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know you are a speaker geek when your litenacy test for dating is whether the woman would allow the big tower speakers in the living room...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #4957 of 4971 Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Boy, that camera is lost "really good" at EMP....

post #4958 of 4971 Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Maybe they are building it from scratch...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4959 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear that the Unicorn, Bigfoot and puff the magic dragon are meeting today about the Impression series sub.

post #4960 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Loch Ness might make an appearance also. We'll see

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #4961 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Nessie is busy working with congress on tax breaks!

post #4962 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Nessie needs to get her muddy hands out of the cookie jar.
post #4963 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

She just needs about tree fiddy...
ousooner2 likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4964 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Just another quick note about the EMP, which came to my attention reading the "more musical" speaker thread...

As you guy know, I have a set of Philharmonitors with a BMR midrange driver and RAAL ribbon. After having had those speakers on my computer/TV in the bedroom in a system where I listen to mostly music (and they excell, especially for classical, rock and jazz), I moved them down into my theater and replaced the E5Ti and watch a few of my favorite movies. Interesting, the Phil, outstanding for music, aren't much better than the EMPs in a HT set up. Maybe because many movies are dominated by LFE and excellent midrange, the Phils did NOT seem like a great improvement for HT. Oh, now once or twice a movie I would hear an effect where I would say- wow, the ribbon tweeter sounds great, but those were few and far between! Anyway, the Phils are movie back upstairs and the EMP give me no reason to want to replace them! The Phils were 1000/pr, so 4x more expensive than the e5Tis...

post #4965 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
She just needs about tree fiddy...
Best episode ever.
post #4966 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Just another quick note about the EMP, which came to my attention reading the "more musical" speaker thread...
The EMPs are a standout performer, requiring a substantial increase in budget to significantly improve on for either music or movies. At least that's my experience, though I didn't try all the speakers out there...far from it.

Last edited by Soulburner; 06-01-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #4967 of 4971 Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the Phils are better, no doubt...they hit low better, which really doesn't matter for HT and they hit highs better, which may be way better for some movies, but not so much for 2012, Live Die Repeat and Avengers of the Universe.
But the EMPs are still an amazing speaker at the price range...

post #4968 of 4971 Old Today, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I just joined the forum. I've been watching this thread for a few months and about a month ago I ordered a pair of R5Bi speakers to demo. From what I've read over the last 6 months and now, from what I've heard, I believe that they are the best that I am going to find for the price.

According to FedEx, the matching R55Ti towers and R5Ci center should be arriving today.

My whole idea to upgrade my audio setup was kind of on a whim, when I ordered some Primus towers from Frys when they were on sale. I've read countless good reviews on the Primus series, however I thought they were some of the worst sounding speakers I've ever heard. The highs were so harsh and metallic, that both my wife and I decided we literally couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes.

Next I tried the Boston Classic II line - actually a pretty good sounding speaker, the highs weren't harsh but kind of too bright and washy - they overpowered everything else. I even tried an L-pad and it did help some, but cut into the midrange too much.

This is how I arrived at EMP-Tek.

Just as a data point, about a year ago I did by a set of the Onkyo towers ( SKF-4800) from Frys on some sale, I believe they were 129.00 for the pair with free shipping. If anyone is ever looking for a really cheap pair of towers for a basement or something, I really liked these speakers. I was kind of shocked at how good they sounded for the price. (even for retail which is like $300.00/pr)
post #4969 of 4971 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD983 View Post
Hello,

I just joined the forum. I've been watching this thread for a few months and about a month ago I ordered a pair of R5Bi speakers to demo. From what I've read over the last 6 months and now, from what I've heard, I believe that they are the best that I am going to find for the price.

According to FedEx, the matching R55Ti towers and R5Ci center should be arriving today.

My whole idea to upgrade my audio setup was kind of on a whim, when I ordered some Primus towers from Frys when they were on sale. I've read countless good reviews on the Primus series, however I thought they were some of the worst sounding speakers I've ever heard. The highs were so harsh and metallic, that both my wife and I decided we literally couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes.

Next I tried the Boston Classic II line - actually a pretty good sounding speaker, the highs weren't harsh but kind of too bright and washy - they overpowered everything else. I even tried an L-pad and it did help some, but cut into the midrange too much.

Just as a data point, about a year ago I did by a set of the Onkyo towers ( SKF-4800) from Frys on some sale, I believe they were 129.00 for the pair with free shipping. If anyone is ever looking for a really cheap pair of towers for a basement or something, I really liked these speakers. I was kind of shocked at how good they sounded for the price. (even for retail which is like $300.00/pr)
It sounds like the EMPs were a good choice, they are more laid back and not harsh at all. I too find the Infinity's a little too forward for my taste, and for the money I don't know that you can do much better than EMP. Looking forward to your impressions on the towers!

post #4970 of 4971 Unread Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello,

Welcome to the forum and the EMP thread! I think yu will find the EMP to be really good speakers at the price and you will find that most of the people in this thread to are top notch. I bring the average down abit, but hey, I try!
I agree with your assessment of the Primus line. At the time I auditioned the p163, I didn't know what it was I didn't care for, but I had the picked Polk M40 over them...and eventually, I found the Polks abit bright for my taste. Bright is NOT how you would describe the EMPs and while they are just a bit midrange hot, they are pretty flat for a speaker in that budget range! However, the EMP are 'tuned", which is probably the wrong term, to not play low. They towers might hit 50hz, which isn't bad...but you need a good sub for HT no matter which speakers you pick!

post #4971 of 4971 Unread Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Hello,

Why not the R56c?

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page