post #481 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

You are giving the usual advice on speaker settings. After 5 months playing with settings on my setup (Denon 3311, E55Ti, ES1010i) the best has been having the mains set to “full” so that the six bass drivers are adding everything they can. Lack of headroom and distortion have not been an issue. If you have massive sub(s) and weak amps in your avr then I would set the E55Ti to “small”. Gene DellaSala the guru at audioholics also recommended the E55Ti set to “full”.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...mp-e56ci-e55wi

massive subs and weak amps in your avr has nothing to do with anything. The LFE output on your avr is about a 2V signal sent to the amp on your sub. Either that or you have an external amp for your sub which also receives that same 2V signal. Sometimes more bass drivers is bad. They can cancel each other out. Letting the sub handle the bass is the way to go. Maybe you like it the way you set it up and that is really all that matters. As long as you are happy. Like I said before.....To each their own. Enjoy your setup and I am only stating this for people that are learning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Either that or you have an external amp for your sub which also receives that same 2V signal. Sometimes more bass drivers is bad. They can cancel each other out.

Very rarely is more sources below 120hz "bad". Almost never, barring very poor placement and integration.

I measure much better frequency response with no crossover than with a crossover. I only implement a crossover if I'm listening to music with lots of 20hz content in order to reduce thermal modulation or chance of bottoming.
post #483 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

You are giving the usual advice on speaker settings. After 5 months playing with settings on my setup (Denon 3311, E55Ti, ES1010i) the best has been having the mains set to “full” so that the six bass drivers are adding everything they can. Lack of headroom and distortion have not been an issue. If you have massive sub(s) and weak amps in your avr then I would set the E55Ti to “small”. Gene DellaSala the guru at audioholics also recommended the E55Ti set to “full”.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...mp-e56ci-e55wi

Quote:

massive subs and weak amps in your avr has nothing to do with anything. The LFE output on your avr is about a 2V signal sent to the amp on your sub. Either that or you have an external amp for your sub which also receives that same 2V signal. Sometimes more bass drivers is bad. They can cancel each other out. Letting the sub handle the bass is the way to go. Maybe you like it the way you set it up and that is really all that matters. As long as you are happy. Like I said before.....To each their own. Enjoy your setup and I am only stating this for people that are learning with mains set to "full".

For people that are just learning I would listen to the suggestions from a recognized speaker guru like Gene DellaSala. Real world experience for me is that the E55ti and ES1010i blend together nicely with mains set to "full".
post #484 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I set the crossover point(large or small setting) to what measures the flattest.
post #485 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Very rarely is more sources below 120hz "bad". Almost never, barring very poor placement and integration.

rarely and almost never. Sorry but I disagree. Most people will put their towers where they look good. Also most people don't know proper integration because you see the questions asked all the time on this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Leon Phelps
post #486 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

rarely and almost never. Sorry but I disagree.

disagree all you want, you're basically disagreeing with all the evidence.

Quote:

Most people will put their towers where they look good.

That's fine as long as it's a good placement for imaging. You need multiple sources of bass leading to modal averaging. Ideally you want two mains, plus three or subs, all radiating bass into the room.

As long as you have the sub(s) decently placed you can clean up the bass issues produced by the towers. Having three sources is a lot less likely to leave you with wide/deep response nulls, rather than having one source. If there are peaks, they can be pulled down with EQ as extra headroom.

It's basic. The only reason to high pass is for power handling.

Quote:

Also most people don't know proper integration because you see the questions asked all the time on this forum.

That means most people want to learn. People who don't, don't care anyways.
post #487 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

That sub will be good for that room size. It does seem like they have great customer service and from what other people have said also. I wish the sub company I have has as good CS. They are not that bad but have recently pissed me off. Good luck with all the setup and if you have any questions just ask.

Thanks Pain, and don't worry I will be asking a lot on this system to set it up right for a 5.1 system in the next, well many months to come. lol

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #488 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 PM

just installed the E55wi's and finally got to run MCACC but for some reason when i set the speaker size to SMALL (recommended), MCACC data shows LARGE? manually set the speakers to SMALL, reran MCACC and again data shows speakers set to LARGE again...WTH?

despite all that, the complete system is amazing. it's a complete different sound with dipole surrounds vs bookshelf speakers on my old setup. the surround just seems to wrap around the back and you're not able to pinpoint where the sounds coming from.
post #489 of 3428 Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Okay, the guys on the 1121 thread were able to help me! everything is A O K!

these emptek's have a nice sound stage. i thought just running the E55ti's alone sounded nice but after hearing it all together is breath taking. with MCACC calibrated i'm watching Transformers and the Subs rocking, Dialogue on the E56ci is clean and clear, the E55ti's combined with the center is amazing. it seems the sound just blends with each other and you really can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from. as for the E55wi's, awesome! the sound effect just wraps around from left to right and without pinpointing where it's coming from. again, thanks to Brian for recommending the surrounds instead of the E5ti's.

now my next upgrade is taking advantage of running some front heights along with some front wides with the E5bi's or E55wi's again?. i'm pretty sure i don't need em but what the hey!
post #490 of 3428 Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

disagree all you want, you're basically disagreeing with all the evidence.

How about this evidence.
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...s/multsubs.pdf

if you dont feel like reading the entire thing go to the conclusion on the bottom.

Quote:

That means most people want to learn. People who don't, don't care anyways.

Right. But think about it.....If a lot of people ask the questions, How many of them dont? WAF plays a key roll too so some sacrifice has to happen. This is why I disagree with rarely or almost never.

- Leon Phelps
post #491 of 3428 Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Finally!!! some pictures of my awesome "LOW END ENTRY" Empteks!

VSX1121K Pioneer

post #492 of 3428 Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

VSX1121K Pioneer

awesome looking system!!! I cant wait until mine is fully done

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #493 of 3428 Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
So, for the first time last night I finally watched a real (read: action) movie and got to sample the epicness that is EMP after running MCACC. Watched MI: Ghost Protocol and the movie was great and the speakers were phenominal. That big ol' honkin' center speaker produced such great, clear voices; I was amazed. The surrounds were awesome as well. I will say the EMPs are probably a better home theater speaker than a musical speaker, but I don't feel like I'm giving up much musically at all. I'm not a stickler for perfect music reproduction so these speakers are great for me. Could not be happier with my purchase unless they were less expensive.
post #494 of 3428 Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Nice looking setup.

Just a tip - if you can pull the speaker forward to the edge of the TV stand, especially the center channel, you will avoid reflections off the stand and things should sound even better.
post #495 of 3428 Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Nice looking setup.

Just a tip - if you can pull the speaker forward to the edge of the TV stand, especially the center channel, you will avoid reflections off the stand and things should sound even better.

I highly agree with that statement. My center was moved to the front and I also pulled my mains forward and it does make a big differences. Give it a try and I think you will hear a difference. I actually pulled my tv and stand forward to get it away from the wall. Not only sounds better but looks better in my situation.
post #496 of 3428 Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Nice looking setup.

thanks for the advice! i only did this because i read somewhere in the audioholics emp thread was they recommended having it close to the wall vs away. so i'mma try pulling it forward. it's about 6" from the wall in those pictures.
post #497 of 3428 Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Just received an email from EMP with coupon codes....anyone else get this?.....peter
post #498 of 3428 Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRELL44 View Post

Just received an email from EMP with coupon codes....anyone else get this?.....peter

really? sweet! i gotta check mine! can you tell us what you got?
post #499 of 3428 Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:

really? sweet! i gotta check mine! can you tell us what you got?

I don't want to link to my email,so here's the gist:

If you purchase anything from now to 4/30,you get 30% off A-stock.....IF....you also get a "friend",relative,etc to make a purchase,also....1 speaker or a whole set,doesn't matter......You tell Emp who you are and who your friend is and they'll email both of you a coupon code.

The catch is......Both of you must purchase on the SAME day.....so a little coordination is necessary.

2nd choice is 20% off A-stock for anyone who is on the waiting list for clearance items.......this is the same as the March sale,so it looks like anyone who made a previous purchase can get this.
Same procedure.....email them and they'll send you the 20% off coupon code.

It doesn't sound like there will be any clearance items anytime soon,so if you're waiting......fergetaboutit,as we italians say(lol).

However....Imo,we could do our own deals on this thread......between friends(lol)!,to get the 30% discount.

For example:I'll be looking to buy the E56CI big center in May,so I could partner-up with someone else,here,and we would get 30% off......shouldn't be too difficult.....I just suggest it be done thru pm's,not thru regular posts...for privacy reasons.

If anyone needs more info,I'd be glad to help.....peter
post #500 of 3428 Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Haven't recieved any such email and I bought "b" stock mini towers last month. Any idea who is eligible?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #501 of 3428 Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Haven't recieved any such email and I bought "b" stock mini towers last month. Any idea who is eligible?

see my post #499...peter
post #502 of 3428 Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:

If you purchase anything from now to 4/30,you get 30% off A-stock.....IF....you also get a "friend",relative,etc to make a purchase,also....1 speaker or a whole set,doesn't matter......You tell Emp who you are and who your friend is and they'll email both of you a coupon code.

The catch is......Both of you must purchase on the SAME day.....so a little coordination is necessary.

2nd choice is 20% off A-stock for anyone who is on the waiting list for clearance items.......this is the same as the March sale,so it looks like anyone who made a previous purchase can get this.

It doesn't sound like there will be any clearance items anytime soon,so if you're waiting......fergetaboutit,as we italians say(lol).

However....Imo,we could do our own deals on this thread......between friends(lol)!,to get the 30% discount.

For example:I'll be looking to buy the E56CI big center in May,so I could partner-up with someone else,here,and we would get 30% off......shouldn't be too difficult.....I just suggest it be done thru pm's,not thru regular posts...for privacy reasons.

maybe we can work something out in May cause i need the bookshelf E5bi for upper heights or even as front wide? $250 for a pair and with 30% might not be a bad deal?
post #503 of 3428 Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

maybe we can work something out in May cause i need the bookshelf E5bi for upper heights or even as front wide? $250 for a pair and with 30% might not be a bad deal?

you would get the bookies for $175 and I would get the center for $315.....ummm.....something to think about.
post #504 of 3428 Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Oh I like this idea, I need to get the E56Ci so if anyone is willing near the end of the month I'd totally think about doing this! thanks for the heads up Krell

Quote:

post #505 of 3428 Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I am looking to get a e56ci center also if anyone is interested.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #506 of 3428 Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM

boy!...is it me or do the Emptek's make my home theatre look BLING! I thought my HTIB Yamaha system was nice but DAMN!

BTW, i did pull the mains/center away and flush with the stand and definitely sounds much better! thanks for the advice on that!!

you know, for some people that like to call our speakers "Entry Level" i don't see a need for an upgraded system later? unless, you have a dedicated home theatre but for the most part it looks like most of us are running these either in our family room or apartment. wondering if anyone is using these specifically in a home theatre room and is it just as good as say the "Higher End" speaker line?
post #507 of 3428 Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:

boy!...is it me or do the Emptek's make my home theatre look BLING! I thought my HTIB Yamaha system was nice but DAMN!

BTW, i did pull the mains/center away and flush with the stand and definitely sounds much better! thanks for the advice on that!!

you know, for some people that like to call our speakers "Entry Level" i don't see a need for an upgraded system later? unless, you have a dedicated home theatre but for the most part it looks like most of us are running these either in our family room or apartment. wondering if anyone is using these specifically in a home theatre room and is it just as good as say the "Higher End" speaker line?

I can chime in on this because of the way I went, I have a big open room on my second floor and that is where I will make a full EMP tek theater system at. I was going to do a full Salk HT system in my house instead I went with the deal that EMP was doing so I could get the two Salk Song Towers for down stairs in my place and another full emp tek system upstairs for nearly the same price as one system. The song towers are ran with two Emotiva mono blocks and a Marants CD player and I can say they sound amazing when I get home and just want to sit in the living room and listen to great music. Upstairs I just have the EMP tek E55ti speakers with a 55" Samsung TV which at some point will be a projector and the TV will go back down stairs to the living room. That system will be ran by a Marantz SR6006 system and an OPPO BDP-93 player and will become a 7.2 system which I think will be awesome in due time. I really like the EMP Tek to be honest and they fit the decor of my new place well. I think a lot of people like bashing on these speakers due to the price and really having no bases to go off of, but if you really think about it they have an amazing sister company to back them up and I think that alone was a motive to get me to try these speakers out. To me the Song Towers are really worth the 2k I paid for them and they can do things I've never heard before and work great with no sub, The EMP tek need a sub badly to make them sound great but as a speaker I think they can almost do 2/3 of what the Song towers can do and the mid's and the lows sound very defined to me on the EMP teks, close to the level of the Song towers. That's my thoughts on your question and my setup. Either way this hasn't been a cheap journey for me, but one well worth it and I wouldn't turn my back on EMP because they make some great looking and sound speakers!!!!

post #508 of 3428 Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 AM

thanks for your thoughts! it's great to hear others opinions on their setup especially when you have higher end speakers to compare them to. if i had the money i would drop the money for the "higher end" stuff and almost pulled the trigger when i saw Newegg's deal on the polk audio line. just happen to come across the Emptek discount thread and Emptek really pulled me in with all the reviews i've read about them. and with only paying $375 for the b stock E55ti's i knew i couldn't go wrong. now with the complete system done in after just a couple of months with the exception of the E5bi bookshelf for 7.1 i love the overall aesthetics and performance of these speakers. my klipsch 12" sub takes care of the lows and the wife of all people can tell they sound so much clearer than the yamaha's i had before.
post #509 of 3428 Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Okay I now have something to compare them to.
I noticed the banana plugs don't fit as snug in the back of the EMP Tek E5Ti's as they do the back of the Polks. I think I saw another gentleman here had switched to a different connection style with the larger E55Ti's. One of the Polk speakers came with a little extra industrial glue on the outside of the enclosure rendering it a “B” stock item in my opinion. Grrrrr. EMP's quality control would have caught that.
Drilling holes and hiding wires wasn't an option. I could have photoshoped them out but... sounds like work, smells like work, looks like work, it's probably work. The room is painted in a flesh tone and it stresses me out so I lazily experimented with a couple different hues. Think I'll go with gray.
Hands down I prefer the Polk's for fronts. However because I didn't want speaker stands and wall mounting rears wasn't an option I am very pleased with the E5Ti's for surrounds. Because they have to be so close to my ears I actually enjoy having the chair partially blocking them. Yes I could turn the channel volume almost all the way down but I like the extra thump they give. Without the chair blocking them they become more like headphones. A larger room with proper placement will alleviate this in the future.
Would I prefer the E55Ti's over the Polks for fronts? I can't say. My father thought I had the sub turned on when I first hooked up the Polks. Bass is the interactive aspect of the listening experience, it forces participation, and therefor I consider it to be crucial. Should I put dual SVS SB12-NSD's piggybacked behind that chair will the importance of the amount of bass coming from the fronts begin to dwindle? No. With the crossover in the receiver set to 80Hz my vision is slightly distorted from the sub's bass (not nearly enough for my liking so I will not be doubling up on the PL-200). At 60Hz the bass appears at the center of the room. At 40Hz the bass comes from the front but is still enjoyable. I like having the option of a full sound experience from the fronts alone. I tend to use this when listening to certain LP's. The E5Ti's alone do not provide what I'm looking for. The Polk's do. I do not have the larger E55Ti's so I can only speculate and I opt not to. I can only speak to the smaller E5Ti's which at full asking price ($500 / pair) are $130 more than what I paid for the Polk's. I purchased the E5Ti's on clearance “A” stock so I am pleased.

In my opinion the three things the EMP TEK E5Ti's have going for them is the 5 ¼ inch midrange which I believe may allow for the production of more detail (however the 6 ½ inch woofers are more stiff than the Polk's so that may be a factor also), the ability to audition and return them with no cost to you (when not purchased on clearance or B stock), and finally the aesthetics factor. Here is a quote from an email I just received from a friend;
“I want the ones behind your chair because of the woodgrain.”
That statement speaks volumes. While they are not real burl wood there is no doubt EMP has created a pretty speaker. I look forward to auditioning their next generation tower speakers to see, or hear rather, if they have designed the sound to match.

post #510 of 3428 Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Great to hear your impression of the E5ti's. I can't chime in about the sound except what i've read about the reviews. sounds like Emptek really changed things up after hearing the reviews about the e5ti's and used that when they redesigned the E55ti's. "The E55Ti is a six driver, vented, 3-way tower speaker system. The three bottom bass drivers are 6-1/2 inch poly-matrix woofers while the midranges consist of dual 5-1/4 inch aluminized poly-matrix woofers with phase plugs configured in a D'Apollito driver arrangement with the1-inch fabric dome tweeter sandwiched in between." i think with just these changes both speakers gotta sound different. if someone with both speakers could chime in that would be great!

as for your setup it's like sitting in the front row of a movie theatre! looks like your feet are no more than a few feet from the panel? wondering if being in such a tight enclosure would that affect your sound.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page