**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 304Likes

post #5341 of 5351 Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Man, Viper, that is one awesome looking front stage! If you could figure out a way to spread those out, you SQ would be better, but that LOOKS AWESOME!
Thanks! They are as spread out as can be, but the soundstage sounds GREAT!

I just recently purchased an Emotiva XPA-3 to power the towers and the center channel, which really helped and made a difference at louder listening levels, especially in regards to dynamic range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5351 Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I'd be curious to see how that room measures.
post #5343 of 5351 Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post

I just recently purchased an Emotiva XPA-3 to power the towers and the center channel, which really helped and made a difference at louder listening levels, especially in regards to dynamic range.
What are you using as the pre/pro?

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC-12 Plus, SVS PC-13 Ultra
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 110in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
post #5344 of 5351 Old 08-27-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post

I got a similar issue...while my subs aren't both up front, they ain't where the 'woofer crawl tells me to put them either!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #5345 of 5351 Old 08-27-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sub woofer crawl is for a single position, single sub. Multiple subs attempt to level out the bass across all seats, not to increase bass.

Ideal is 4 subs in a cross fblr then 2 subs lr mid wall, lastly 2 subs, front/back opposing corners. The subs will act as bass traps for the opposing sub.

Listen to the avrant podcast if you want to hear about sub setup.
post #5346 of 5351 Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Sub woofer crawl is for a single position, single sub.
No, not really. Subwoofer crawl works well for 2 subs within a room, with more subs it becomes less effective. Caveat: If the room is very large, the crawl with 3 or more can make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins
Multiple subs attempt to level out the bass across all seats, not to increase bass.
This depends on placement. Stacked, as in Viper's case, will typically produce 3 - 6dB more output at a location - Which may not be the MLP. But the general use for multiple subs is to smooth the bass response across multiple seating positions, yes, by having them placed strategically about the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins
Ideal is 4 subs in a cross fblr then 2 subs lr mid wall, lastly 2 subs, front/back opposing corners. The subs will act as bass traps for the opposing sub.

Listen to the avrant podcast if you want to hear about sub setup.
I am by no means an expert on this subject, but as I understand it ideal positions within any given room depends heavily on the room itself, and the listening position(s). Crazy amounts of information on this can be found within the Earl Geddes' writeup (very short version: https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/) as well as AVS's own DIY Speakers and Subs subforum, and Bill Fitzmaurice's work (he posts quite a bit here on AVS). A terrific (if not horrifying to a beginner) rundown on integrating multiple subs was done by mtg90: mtg90’s multiple subwoofers + mains integration How To thread

As Soulburner mentioned, without measurements (and the sub crawl), sub placement is pretty much shooting in the dark. However, in the end it all comes down to how you like the sound, not how your graphs look.
post #5347 of 5351 Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
What are you using as the pre/pro?
My AVR is an Onkyo 876. My Pre is an Emotiva XPA-3.
post #5348 of 5351 Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well there's no way I'd be able to put my 1010 up on the couch! Sure rooms dictate where you can put your speakers. Ideal is starting from scratch, designing for sound rather than furniture. My projector forces me to be up against the wall, far from ideal. There is just no way I could get 4 subs in my room, it is not that big. Next house will have a better theater unless I'm part of the drooling VR masses.
post #5349 of 5351 Old 08-28-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 477
In my case, both of my subs HAVE to be to the left of the MLP, one in front and one behind, but I just don't have many other options- like you, Gregory, I got a projector that forces everything toward one wall and the room ain't big enough for much modification. I tried the sub woofer crawl once and my sub sounded best right in the middle of the room, where it ISN'T going to go and then second, where my couch is. I ended up putting it where I wanted it, not where it sounded best.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #5350 of 5351 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What instrument causes tweetee to rattle?

Hi all,

My R55's tweeters rattle by some ratlling/clapping instrument. I'm curious if any of you experienced similar situation, or just my tweeters simply blown. There are couple tracks, if anyone interested and have access to music streaming service (I used Apple Music streaming for this), please try:
- Yo Te Quiero ( Marc Anthony), first occurrence is at around 10-20 sec. into the track.
- I'm a Flirt (Smooth Jazz All Stars) at around -25s (towards the end of track, this causes much less noticeable rattling sound than the first track above.)

Please comment/confirm after trying. Thank you.

Cheers

Denon AVR X-1000, X-4100W
Speakers: EMP R55ti, R56ci, 2xI12
No surrounds yet
post #5351 of 5351 Old Today, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
In my case, both of my subs HAVE to be to the left of the MLP, one in front and one behind, but I just don't have many other options- like you, Gregory, I got a projector that forces everything toward one wall and the room ain't big enough for much modification. I tried the sub woofer crawl once and my sub sounded best right in the middle of the room, where it ISN'T going to go and then second, where my couch is. I ended up putting it where I wanted it, not where it sounded best.
I was just listening to an old avrant podcast, maybe 4 weeks old where they discussed that exact situation. It's ok in their opinion, the subs will trap for each other.

I think this one. http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-443-apologies-and-advice/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems