**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 548Likes

Old 09-30-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I have owned the R5Bbi and the E5Ti and in my opinion, the tower will sound larger, but not better in terms of sound quality. There is a lot to say about a larger sound though - when I moved to 10" coaxials I fell in love with the huge sound source.

And I don't believe it's a waste to use R5Bis as surrounds - I think they will make great surrounds. I planned to do that until I realized that I will have calibration issues because of the efficiency difference with my fronts.
Yes, that was what I was thinking as well. But I'm looking forward to the audition. Thanks for your input.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, I really love my towers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It usually takes me at least 3 weeks to determine if a certain speaker is right for me (and my room). But I am looking forward to experiencing the towers. I may even order the JBL Studio 530’s and A-B compare the two (still thinking on this). Anyway, once I have played with them for awhile, I’ll let people in this thread know what I think.

BTW, once this audition is over, I plan to audition the PSA S3600i subwoofer to replace my XS30. I think I’ll be busy in the next couple of months .

Okay, done deal. I just ordered the JBL 530's. Since it is free shipping both ways with a 30 day trial, there is no risk. Should be an interesting comparison.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.

Last edited by dsrussell; 09-30-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 368
dsrussel,

Since you're a music guy with panels, have you ever considered Rythmik? They probably have the best chance at smooth integration with such a hi-fi setup.

Though you're probably talking about your HT system. Still, I've become addicted to their high damping servo control, even for movies.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
It usually takes me at least 3 weeks to determine if a certain speaker is right for me (and my room). But I am looking forward to experiencing the towers. I may even order the JBL Studio 530’s and A-B compare the two (still thinking on this). Anyway, once I have played with them for awhile, I’ll let people in this thread know what I think.

BTW, once this audition is over, I plan to audition the PSA S3600i subwoofer to replace my XS30. I think I’ll be busy in the next couple of months .

Okay, done deal. I just ordered the JBL 530's. Since it is free shipping both ways with a 30 day trial, there is no risk. Should be an interesting comparison.

Great choice, should make for a nice comparison!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 09-30-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
dsrussel,

Since you're a music guy with panels, have you ever considered Rythmik? They probably have the best chance at smooth integration with such a hi-fi setup.

Though you're probably talking about your HT system. Still, I've become addicted to their high damping servo control, even for movies.
Hi Soulburner. When I went on my subwoofer hunt back in May of 2013, I had already went through months of research. I auditioned the Paradigm Sub 1 and the JL Audio F212 Fathom (although it was the F113 Fathom I was most interested in — the F113 wasn’t available for setup on the day I did my audition). I wanted to audition either the Rythmik E15HPSE (piano black) or Rythmik F15HPSE (piano black), but both subs were on a 6 month backorder, so I had to cross them off my list. I ended up auditioning two subwoofers in my home at the same time. The Hsu ULS-15 (Mk 1) I auditioned at their facility first, since Hsu Research is only 12 miles from me. Two weeks later I picked up a ULS-15 and took it home. The second sub was SVS SB13-Ultra. For music, it wasn’t much of a contest. The Ultra was better in every regard, and is everything I wanted and more. The Hsu was a bit disappointing, but by no means a bad sub for music (I did consider it for the movie room, but opted for the PSA XS30).

Since that time, I’ve also auditioned the DSS 24-inch Mariana and PSA S3000i. I’ve also heard (not auditioned with my music) the JL Audio E110, another JL Audio sub just released (don’t remember the designation), and the JL Audio G213 Gotham. All really good subs, but none had me wanting to trade in my Ultra ... not even the Gotham (didn't want to spend 10 - 12 grand, nor push around a 340 pound sub).

If you’ve heard panel speakers, especially speakers with very large bass panels (such as the planar-magnetics Magnepan 3.6 and 3.7), you would understand what I was looking for. I knew I’d have to get a sub that could stop on a dime. I also wanted a sub that could reproduce any material below 40 Hz, including 16 Hz organ pedals and Synthesizers that played anywhere from 16 to 30 Hz. I wanted the sub to take off where my Magnepans left off or couldn’t go (the 3.6 Maggies get down to 34 Hz). I did not want any sub, even the Ultra, to take away from the bass of the panels. The bass it reproduces is unique and blends with the midrange panels amazingly, and was one of several important reasons I chose the Maggies. In order to get what I wanted, I used the Ultra’s high pass filter and set it at 40 Hz with a gentle slope. For the sub, I used the Ultra’s low pass filter at 40 Hz with a steep slope. I now have everything I want as far as a music sub. If I would have gotten the Rythmik, I would cross them over the same way.
Soulburner likes this.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just mounted my 4 EMP bookshelf's and center speaker in my bedroom tonight. I have to say I am totally impressed with the sound. I have an Onkyo 646 driving them with an HSU ULS-15 MK2 sub. They sound amazing for $650. My ears are use to my Klipsch horns though. The dome tweeters sound much different. It may not sound as crisp as the horns but for the money I am pleased. They look amazing too. These mounts work great for $39 per pair on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o01_s00

I just attached a photo so people can see the mounts. I still have my old Def Tech sub in the photo. They will be sent to a spare room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	970473  
ViperVenom18 and dsrussell like this.

Last edited by myriadcorp; 10-01-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I think over time your ears will acclimate. I have sensitive hearing, and even dome tweeters can sound harsh to me if not rolled off in a non-treated room.

Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings)
Denon AVR-X4000
A little R&R: Reaction Audio CX-10 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
And a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 5s
Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
I have finally decided to audition the R55Ti tower speakers and they should arrive next week. I talked to Brian to get the return shipping charges. This is more out of curiosity than needing something better than the R5Bi bookshelf speakers. Matter-of-fact, I’d be surprised if I decide to keep the towers (but I was surprised that I kept the R5Bi’s). Although I do expect them to be better, I do not expect them to be significantly better. If I do return the R55Ti’s, I might order the JBL Studio 530’s (again, more out of curiosity) and test them out as well. This is my way to really judge the R5Bi’s against larger speakers at around 3 times or more the cost. That, and the fact that I enjoy listening to well thought of and well-reviewed speakers. And if I decide to keep the R55Ti’s? Then I’ll order their R56Ci center channel and use my R5Bi’s as surrounds (sort of a waste for such a fine speaker).
After a couple years of using just anything as a cheap surround, I think the movie Oblivion came out and it would constantly cause my SLS Q line gold, 120hz lowest possible, to distort (My reciever only allows a single crossover). So I either had to set the crossover of my fronts to 120, put up with distortion, or either buy a new reciever or surrounds. I upgraded to the R5Bi when EMP was out of stock, but got a pair of B stocks in. Sure, the distortion happen only a couple times per movie, but getting surrounds that could hit 80 hz was suddenly a priority...so I upgraded! Not one of these folks that think your surrounds have to be just as capable as your fronts, but it was a nice upgrade!
Transmaniacon and dsrussell like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know if you guys have seen this thread: SVS PB1000 vs Rythimic LV12r vs HR VTF2 MK4 vs EMP I-12

There is a video from RBH where they test the frequency response of the I-12 in a massive 6000+ cubic square foot room. With all three ports open, they were showing a a very flat response, and -3dB extension down around 17/18Hz. In a normal sized room you could likely expect even better performance, seems like those numbers on their site are very conservative.
ViperVenom18 likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 10-02-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
After a couple years of using just anything as a cheap surround, I think the movie Oblivion came out and it would constantly cause my SLS Q line gold, 120hz lowest possible, to distort (My reciever only allows a single crossover). So I either had to set the crossover of my fronts to 120, put up with distortion, or either buy a new reciever or surrounds. I upgraded to the R5Bi when EMP was out of stock, but got a pair of B stocks in. Sure, the distortion happen only a couple times per movie, but getting surrounds that could hit 80 hz was suddenly a priority...so I upgraded! Not one of these folks that think your surrounds have to be just as capable as your fronts, but it was a nice upgrade!
Oblivion really gives your surrounds a workout, especially the drone scene towards the end. Another good one is Lone Survivor, having some more capable surrounds makes those RPGs exploding behind pretty intense!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn’t expecting the R55Ti’s until Tuesday or Wednesday. I received them today and already have them hooked up and playing 2-channel music. No surprises (I pretty much knew what I was getting into, both positives and negatives), but far too early to remark on anything with certainty. I suspect I will be playing around with location for a few days and until I'm happy with the soundstage. It will be weeks before I really write anything about them. Going back to the R5Bi's after a couple weeks getting use to the R55Ti's is usually more informative than the other way around (R5Bi's to R55Ti's).

So far the JBL 530's haven't shipped, which is a good thing (allows me more time with the R55Ti's).
jpshook and yanks1 like this.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I wasn’t expecting the R55Ti’s until Tuesday or Wednesday. I received them today and already have them hooked up and playing 2-channel music. No surprises (I pretty much knew what I was getting into, both positives and negatives), but far too early to remark on anything with certainty. I suspect I will be playing around with location for a few days and until I'm happy with the soundstage. It will be weeks before I really write anything about them. Going back to the R5Bi's after a couple weeks getting use to the R55Ti's is usually more informative than the other way around (R5Bi's to R55Ti's).

So far the JBL 530's haven't shipped, which is a good thing (allows me more time with the R55Ti's).
great, countdown for your review...tic...tac...tic..tac...
Old 10-04-2015, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Let us know the difference between the e55ti and s530, im in need of good lcr, im torn between 340 se, a5arx, and those 2, im looking forward for your comparison.

Benq w1070
Samsung UN65HU7150
Panasonic DMP-BD 75
Denon X2000
Infinity Primus 163 fronts, PC351 center, 163 surrounds
SVS PB2000
Old 10-04-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATURON View Post
Let us know the difference between the e55ti and s530, im in need of good lcr, im torn between 340 se, a5arx, and those 2, im looking forward for your comparison.
I just received word that the 530's shipped, so I should get them sometime next week. I won't know until 2 or 3 weeks into the audition whether they will be keepers or not, but I'll let everyone here know my impressions of the RBH and JBL.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
My new 3.2 setup - RBH/EMPtek + Rythmik

New 3.2 RBH + Rythmik setup w/pics

Thanks to numerous people in this thread that provided speaker comparisons, write ups, technical support and most of all... their time, to help me pull the trigger on RBH/EMPtek speakers.
jpshook likes this.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Thanks to numerous people in this thread that provided speaker comparisons, write ups, technical support and most of all... their time, to help me pull the trigger on RBH/EMPtek speakers.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichalik87 View Post

**My apologies for the duplicate post - my connection timed out and I re-submitted the post again. Forum administrator, please feel free to delete**
Old 10-04-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

That's such a nice system, it's worth a double post
yanks1 likes this.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

bmicha, welcome to the EMP owner club abd be sure to post your thoughts as you get use to them!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, surprise, surprise. The JBL showed up this morning. I plugged it in and … called JBL. Bad tweeter that got worse during a very short audition. I decided to just return it and not have them send another one. It’s really a shame, because the 530 sounded impressive until it got up in the higher frequencies. Not enough time with it to give a solid opinion (basically 4 songs).

Back to my R5Bi's and the R55Ti's .

Old 10-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Im currently debating on either the EMP Tek R55Ti towers, SVS Prime Towers or RP260F towers from Klipsch. I have owned cheaper Klipsch speakers before and enjoyed them and then moved on to Definitive Technology. I currently have Def Tech Sm450s up front. Any thoughts to help me decide guys? I have a small room 12x12 or so.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Brad, I can comment on your situation, since I own several EMP speakers and also own the SM450s. I have a front stage of SM450/CLR2002 in my upstairs, mostly TV set up. 22x 12 inch room, so small-medium. I also own the e5ti in my theater 14 x 24 foot room. I have tried both front stages in both room. Simple put, the EMP will kick the Def Tech to the corner and back every day of the week and twice on friday...with the exception of bass, and then it is close. I find the tweeter in the SM450 to be a bit, well, for lack of any other term, "not my favorite". The bass is pretty impressive for a little speaker, however and is pretty tight. If you use a subwoofer, that won't matter, as the EMP are plenty capable of hitting below 80 hz. Even the e5Bi can hit below 80. The midrange in the EMP are excellent and absolutely great for dialogue and dynamics!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, surprise, surprise. The JBL showed up this morning. I plugged it in and … called JBL. Bad tweeter that got worse during a very short audition. I decided to just return it and not have them send another one. It’s really a shame, because the 530 sounded impressive until it got up in the higher frequencies. Not enough time with it to give a solid opinion (basically 4 songs).

Back to my R5Bi's and the R55Ti's .
Well, sorry to hear about that...I was looking forward to hearing more about the JBLs. Funny, I was at an outdoor event this weekend with a couple pro JBL with a compression tweeter and I must say, they get loud. I have nothing else good to say about them. Horrid sounding speaker. Not making any sweeping statement about JBL, but another reminder about why I will never own a horn tweeter.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, sorry to hear about that...I was looking forward to hearing more about the JBLs. Funny, I was at an outdoor event this weekend with a couple pro JBL with a compression tweeter and I must say, they get loud. I have nothing else good to say about them. Horrid sounding speaker. Not making any sweeping statement about JBL, but another reminder about why I will never own a horn tweeter.
Horns can be implemented different ways. My compression horns sound better than domes, and that includes the EMP domes.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
I was too. However, for the price of the JBL front stage compared to the cost of the Emp front stage, I would go with the Emps. I also find them much more appealing to look at. I'm sure the JBLs would get louder, but I'm sure the Emps are no slouch.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 10-05-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

In fairness to the JBLs, anyone can get a bad speaker. I was originally just going to exchange them for a new pair, but the service “tech” person seemed inept as far as speakers go. She was nice, bless her heart, but inept. So I thought it would be just safer to return them and possibly order another pair down the road.

They need a good, powerful amplifier. I don’t think my Denon 95 watts would do them justice. They have a lot of potential, from the little I did hear.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 72
If the new Emp center can match the I series bookshelf how would this set up, R5bi's plus MC616 center vs SVS prime bookshelves plus prime center? Anyone listen to both?.

📺 Samsung (PN51F8500)
📻 Yamaha (RX-V475)
🎶 SVS (PRIME BS+CC)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮 PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't heard the SVS speakers, but I would not mix different L/R and center speakers. They will sound different and you will notice.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Horns can be implemented different ways. My compression horns sound better than domes, and that includes the EMP domes.
Of course there are many different kinds of horns and I have heard the Klipshorn of yesteryear and those were outstanding. In the budget- mid price range, horn SQ can be a crap shoot, however!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Haven't heard the SVS speakers, but I would not mix different L/R and center speakers. They will sound different and you will notice.
Since it was the same brand I thought there was an outside chance they were voice matched.

📺 Samsung (PN51F8500)
📻 Yamaha (RX-V475)
🎶 SVS (PRIME BS+CC)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮 PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems