**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 809Likes

Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Their spec are accurate and if anything, error on the side of caution. I remember about 6-7 yr ago when a professional review of the e5Ti was published. EMP had the spec at 50Hz +/- 3 db for the low end and Gene Desala (?) declared they could hit 40Hz +/- 3 db in his room.
Yeah it's nice to know they don't inflate their numbers. In that video, the I-12 had a -3dB point of 19Hz in a 6000+ csf room, but they only claim 23Hz on their site.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Yeah it's nice to know they don't inflate their numbers. In that video, the I-12 had a -3dB point of 19Hz in a 6000+ csf room, but they only claim 23Hz on their site.
I know. I would rather purchase from a company that posts accurate specs. I'm sure I could call them and have a great talk with them about their speakers and new sub. I don't see that happening with a company like Klipsch.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I know. I would rather purchase from a company that posts accurate specs. I'm sure I could call them and have a great talk with them about their speakers and new sub. I don't see that happening with a company like Klipsch.

Well that's probably easier to do with a smaller company, Klipsch is an international speaker juggernaut, so you don't get that same kind of interaction.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Well that's probably easier to do with a smaller company, Klipsch is an international speaker juggernaut, so you don't get that same kind of interaction.
I completely understand, it's was just an example - a company that inflates their specs.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I completely understand, it's was just an example - a company that inflates their specs.

Yeah for sure, DefTech seems to exaggerate their bass extension as well.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
I’m only one week into my evaluation and thought I’d give my early impressions of the R55Ti as far as music is concerned. While it might be unfair to compare the R55Ti tower speakers to the less expensive R5Bi bookshelf speakers, it would be ridiculous to compare the R55Ti to my Maggies (a speaker costing over 7 times as much). And I never turn my Maggies on, until the audition is over and I’ve made a decision. So comparing the towers to my bookshelf speakers is what I’ll do. Also remember that I’m not only listening to speakers, I’m listening to my room. And the music I play (at least some or most) may be quite different from what other people listen to. In lieu of that, my experiences may be different from other people’s experiences. So take my impressions with a fistful of salt.

With two 5-1/4” drivers and three 6-1/2” drivers, compared to the single 5-1/4” driver for the R5Bi (both have the same tweeter), the R55Ti should reign supreme (or at least be noticeably better) at every audio level, except the high end. And when I first turned them on, I had forgotten that I had the volume set at -12, a volume I had set for the last movie I played. The towers made an immediate and significant impression. Not only because I usually play music around the -15 level instead of -12, but the R55Ti’s are more sensitive than the R5Bi’s. My very first piece of music was Steven Wilson’s “Once” on his “Blackfield II” CD. This begins with some powerful drums, which the R55Ti’s played masterfully. And as positive as this first impression was, unfortunately, the R55Ti does not reign supreme at every sonic level vs. their little R5Bi brothers.

These 6 Ohm impedance R55Ti’s play louder at the same volume setting (right around 3 dB louder per my SPL meter at my listening position). That tells me that the RBH/EMP Tek specs are on the money (85 dB sensitivity for the R5Bi’s and 88 dB for the R55Ti’s). It certainly rang true in my room.

The R55Ti’s bass response (rated -3 dB at 40 Hz) is not as well controlled as the 60 Hz rated R5Bi. Deeper? Yes. More controlled? No. Most of the time it is clear and nicely impressive (as on the drums of “Once”), but it can get a bit soft or muddy at times, depending upon the music and depth of the bass frequencies. Fortunately a 60 Hz crossover will take care of this, but for those not wanting to purchase a sub, the R55Ti’s bass response may not be all that you’re looking for. I recommend purchasing a subwoofer if you are thinking about buying these speakers.

Many items that I had assumed to be true before testing (both positive and negative), were true, so I basically didn’t have any surprises. Obviously the R55Ti’s are quite beautiful in their red burl finish (and no, I’m not a fan of their black finish). Most of my concerns were with the MTM configuration at the top of the speaker. And obviously, there will be sonic differences, including sound pitch caused by multiple drivers of different sizes vs a single driver:

1. Fuller, richer sound in the upper bass and lower midrange over the R5Bi’s … A given due to driver size and quantity.
2. Tweeter response, while very pleasant, it is not quite as impressive as the R5Bi’s … MTM related, since both use the same tweeter.
2. Generally excellent midrange, but the upper midrange and lower treble frequencies were not quite as pristine as the R5Bi’s … either MTM related or multiple driver related, or perhaps a combination of both.
3. Deeper and fuller bass response … A given due to driver size and quantity.
4. Soundstage is inferior to R5Bi’s … MTM related (effects the height of the soundstage, not the width).
5. Using a phantom center (2-channel playback) the soundstage that appeared before me seemed slightly lower than expected. Perhaps as much as a half a foot. I kept thinking I’m looking slightly downward at the action/music. Not sure why, but it may be related to 6-foot tall Maggies and R5Bi’s on a 36-inch high stands.
7. Not quite as neutral and a bit warmer than the R5Bi’s, but also less clinical … driver/crossover related. This can be either a positive or a negative, depending upon one’s perspective / preferences.
8. Some loss of detail (smearing) on various demanding pieces of music … unsure as to why, but this has happened to a lot of good speakers I have auditioned or heard. I didn’t notice this as much on the R5Bi.
9. Good soundstage depth and slightly better than the R5Bi … driver related.

My overall early impressions is that the R55Ti is a very nice sounding speaker with a wide soundstage and excellent midrange. It also looks great, and of course the finish matches the R5Bi’s. And since its price is extremely reasonable, it looks like a done deal, right? Well, not quite. Many speakers have a wide soundstage, but not many have a tall soundstage to go along with that, and that includes the R55Ti (a big plus for the R5Bi). All one has to do is stand up or sit down to notice the difference. Fortunately, most of us keep seated when listening or watching . Obviously, the R55Ti is more robust than the R5Bi’s, but I’m unsure if that aspect is worth over three times the cost. I think most people will prefer the slightly richer and fuller sound of the R55Ti’s over the articulate and precise (but slightly thinner and occasionally clinical) sound of the R5Bi’s. They will also like that it is 3 dB more sensitive than the R5Bi’s. I’m not sure if my audio preferences merit purchasing the R55Ti from what I’ve heard so far. Make no mistake, I like their sound quite a bit, but if this was for mostly music, I am pretty sure I’d just keep the R5Bi’s. Fortunately their primary duties will be movies, along with some concert videos. The big test will be how it handles movies compared to the R5Bi’s. I’ll report back when I’ve determined that.
Ted Sheckler and banyar like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I’m only one week into my evaluation and thought I’d give my early impressions of the R55Ti as far as music is concerned. While it might be unfair to compare the R55Ti tower speakers to the less expensive R5Bi bookshelf speakers, it would be ridiculous to compare the R55Ti to my Maggies (a speaker costing over 7 times as much). And I never turn my Maggies on, until the audition is over and I’ve made a decision. So comparing the towers to my bookshelf speakers is what I’ll do. Also remember that I’m not only listening to speakers, I’m listening to my room. And the music I play (at least some or most) may be quite different from what other people listen to. In lieu of that, my experiences may be different from other people’s experiences. So take my impressions with a fistful of salt.

With two 5-1/4” drivers and three 6-1/2” drivers, compared to the single 5-1/4” driver for the R5Bi (both have the same tweeter), the R55Ti should reign supreme (or at least be noticeably better) at every audio level, except the high end. And when I first turned them on, I had forgotten that I had the volume set at -12, a volume I had set for the last movie I played. The towers made an immediate and significant impression. Not only because I usually play music around the -15 level instead of -12, but the R55Ti’s are more sensitive than the R5Bi’s. My very first piece of music was Steven Wilson’s “Once” on his “Blackfield II” CD. This begins with some powerful drums, which the R55Ti’s played masterfully. And as positive as this first impression was, unfortunately, the R55Ti does not reign supreme at every sonic level vs. their little R5Bi brothers.

These 6 Ohm impedance R55Ti’s play louder at the same volume setting (right around 3 dB louder per my SPL meter at my listening position). That tells me that the RBH/EMP Tek specs are on the money (85 dB sensitivity for the R5Bi’s and 88 dB for the R55Ti’s). It certainly rang true in my room.

The R55Ti’s bass response (rated -3 dB at 40 Hz) is not as well controlled as the 60 Hz rated R5Bi. Deeper? Yes. More controlled? No. Most of the time it is clear and nicely impressive (as on the drums of “Once”), but it can get a bit soft or muddy at times, depending upon the music and depth of the bass frequencies. Fortunately a 60 Hz crossover will take care of this, but for those not wanting to purchase a sub, the R55Ti’s bass response may not be all that you’re looking for. I recommend purchasing a subwoofer if you are thinking about buying these speakers.

Many items that I had assumed to be true before testing (both positive and negative), were true, so I basically didn’t have any surprises. Obviously the R55Ti’s are quite beautiful in their red burl finish (and no, I’m not a fan of their black finish). Most of my concerns were with the MTM configuration at the top of the speaker. And obviously, there will be sonic differences, including sound pitch caused by multiple drivers of different sizes vs a single driver:

1. Fuller, richer sound in the upper bass and lower midrange over the R5Bi’s … A given due to driver size and quantity.
2. Tweeter response, while very pleasant, it is not quite as impressive as the R5Bi’s … MTM related, since both use the same tweeter.
2. Generally excellent midrange, but the upper midrange and lower treble frequencies were not quite as pristine as the R5Bi’s … either MTM related or multiple driver related, or perhaps a combination of both.
3. Deeper and fuller bass response … A given due to driver size and quantity.
4. Soundstage is inferior to R5Bi’s … MTM related (effects the height of the soundstage, not the width).
5. Using a phantom center (2-channel playback) the soundstage that appeared before me seemed slightly lower than expected. Perhaps as much as a half a foot. I kept thinking I’m looking slightly downward at the action/music. Not sure why, but it may be related to 6-foot tall Maggies and R5Bi’s on a 36-inch high stands.
7. Not quite as neutral and a bit warmer than the R5Bi’s, but also less clinical … driver/crossover related. This can be either a positive or a negative, depending upon one’s perspective / preferences.
8. Some loss of detail (smearing) on various demanding pieces of music … unsure as to why, but this has happened to a lot of good speakers I have auditioned or heard. I didn’t notice this as much on the R5Bi.
9. Good soundstage depth and slightly better than the R5Bi … driver related.

My overall early impressions is that the R55Ti is a very nice sounding speaker with a wide soundstage and excellent midrange. It also looks great, and of course the finish matches the R5Bi’s. And since its price is extremely reasonable, it looks like a done deal, right? Well, not quite. Many speakers have a wide soundstage, but not many have a tall soundstage to go along with that, and that includes the R55Ti (a big plus for the R5Bi). All one has to do is stand up or sit down to notice the difference. Fortunately, most of us keep seated when listening or watching . Obviously, the R55Ti is more robust than the R5Bi’s, but I’m unsure if that aspect is worth over three times the cost. I think most people will prefer the slightly richer and fuller sound of the R55Ti’s over the articulate and precise (but slightly thinner and occasionally clinical) sound of the R5Bi’s. They will also like that it is 3 dB more sensitive than the R5Bi’s. I’m not sure if my audio preferences merit purchasing the R55Ti from what I’ve heard so far. Make no mistake, I like their sound quite a bit, but if this was for mostly music, I am pretty sure I’d just keep the R5Bi’s. Fortunately their primary duties will be movies, along with some concert videos. The big test will be how it handles movies compared to the R5Bi’s. I’ll report back when I’ve determined that.
thanks russell.

now waiting for your review with movies
Elihawk and yanks1 like this.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:41 PM

i can't find a review from the R56Ci, for me is VERY important a great center chanel, and if i decided to go with the R55ti then the matching center MUST be powerfull for dialogs.

any?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:14 PM

i found this on Emp Tek's facebook page:

EMP Tek Tawaun, we have a few updates coming to the Impression Series. Some of these updates are the drivers themselves. At this time, it is unclear when these updates will become available. Unfortunately, the updates will only apply to new products only; folks won't be able to upgrade their existing Impression Series as the new drivers have a slightly larger diameter and will not fit without major cabinet/baffle modification.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyar View Post
i found this on Emp Tek's facebook page:

EMP Tek Tawaun, we have a few updates coming to the Impression Series. Some of these updates are the drivers themselves. At this time, it is unclear when these updates will become available. Unfortunately, the updates will only apply to new products only; folks won't be able to upgrade their existing Impression Series as the new drivers have a slightly larger diameter and will not fit without major cabinet/baffle modification.
Excited and anxious.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Excited and anxious.

I was hoping to buy this black Friday but with this news I 'll wait to come out the new series
Old 10-10-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was hoping to buy this black Friday but with this news I 'll wait to come out the new series
If they close out the current towers, I'm sure you might be able to grab some for a steal.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
If they close out the current towers, I'm sure you might be able to grab some for a steal.

yes, but i think i can't live with the "what if" when the new series comes out
yanks1 likes this.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yes, but i think i can't live with the "what if" when the new series comes out
Absolutely. Its already such a great reviewed speaker that if they were closed out for a steller price, buying a pair wouldn't put that much of a dent in the wallet. Especially the bookshelves. But I understand your point. I'm excited for what could be released in the future.

Last edited by bgtighe23; 10-10-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
When I talked to them about the new stuff, they said it was at least months, to possibly a year out. Definitely not in time for Black Friday.

They're upgrading the tweeter to an aluminum tweeter to get better accuracy. I didn't really ask about the woofers.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumuo View Post
When I talked to them about the new stuff, they said it was at least months, to possibly a year out. Definitely not in time for Black Friday.

They're upgrading the tweeter to an aluminum tweeter to get better accuracy. I didn't really ask about the woofers.
Interesting. Wonder what other areas they are looking to improve on.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I read about a member who changed himself the tweeter on the R55Ti
Old 10-10-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Excited and anxious.

Really? Curious...don't you like your Motion 40's? You are the 1st person I've heard/read of that would prefer a RBH to MartinLogan. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just never heard of it happening before.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Really? Curious...don't you like your Motion 40's? You are the 1st person I've heard/read of that would prefer a RBH to MartinLogan. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just never heard of it happening before.
I always like looking at new speakers. I like reading reviews and watching youtube videos and seeing the speakers even though a recorded video doesn't accurately represent the SQ of the speaker.

I don't prefer the Emps to my Motions, but I love the height and look of the Emps. I just wish they were a bit wider, and deeper, but just to keep the
porportions the same with the increase of width.

I've been commenting similar excitement about the updates with the DIYSG 1099s.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
i can't find a review from the R56Ci, for me is VERY important a great center chanel, and if i decided to go with the R55ti then the matching center MUST be powerfull for dialogs.

any?
I just picked this up and watched War of the Worlds on it last night. It's not broken in yet, though. Higher range dialogue was very clear, but deeper voices were a bit muddy. This very well could clear up after some break-in, and I actually would expect it to get better with break-in.
banyar likes this.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I just picked this up and watched War of the Worlds on it last night. It's not broken in yet, though. Higher range dialogue was very clear, but deeper voices were a bit muddy. This very well could clear up after some break-in, and I actually would expect it to get better with break-in.
thanks jumuo, I will wait for your next impressions
Old 10-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
thanks jumuo, I will wait for your next impressions
I was watching Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring tonight, and swapping it out with an Ascend CBM-170 SE for a center. The Ascend was a bit clearer, but lost a lot of the richness that the RBH has. I personally actually liked the RBH more during the movie. It's still missing some of the clarity I'm looking for, though.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I was watching Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring tonight, and swapping it out with an Ascend CBM-170 SE for a center. The Ascend was a bit clearer, but lost a lot of the richness that the RBH has. I personally actually liked the RBH more during the movie. It's still missing some of the clarity I'm looking for, though.
very interesting for me that comparision due to i have in mind either, the RBH or the Ascend

are you running the speakers with a subwoofer? if that the case, how do you compare the sound of the Ascend CBM-170 with the RBH towers during movie watching?
Old 10-11-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Have you tried leaving the EMPTeks in place as L/R speakers while using a single CBM-170SE for the center channel? You'd be breaking one of the holiest of holy sacraments here on AVS (a.k.a. the "Thou shalt timbre-match thy front 3 speakers or be struck by lightning!!!" commandment) but I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd be very pleased with the results.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Have you tried leaving the EMPTeks in place as L/R speakers while using a single CBM-170SE for the center channel? You'd be breaking one of the holiest of holy sacraments here on AVS (a.k.a. the "Thou shalt timbre-match thy front 3 speakers or be struck by lightning!!!" commandment) but I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd be very pleased with the results.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images..._face_grin.png
Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So I got my R55ti towers on Friday, after purchasing them Tuesday, impressive. I set them up yesterday afternoon after having to rearrange some furniture to get them to fit acceptably in my small room. First time I turned them on, WOW! I couldn't stop smiling. Exceeded my expectations in every possible way for the price point. Such a huge bargain. I continued to listen to an assortment on music everything was impressive. Watched Mad Max last night, sounded amazing. So much more mid bass than my definitive technology studio monitors. The soundstage is much better too. Love them.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
very interesting for me that comparision due to i have in mind either, the RBH or the Ascend

are you running the speakers with a subwoofer? if that the case, how do you compare the sound of the Ascend CBM-170 with the RBH towers during movie watching?
I have the Outlaw Ultra-X12. The R55Tis are more full, mainly because they're larger. They're much warmer and more laid back. The vertical dispersion isn't as good as they Ascends, either. I've heard the EmpTek bookshelves have better vertical dispersion, though, since it's not an MTM configuration, like the towers.

Personally, I think the mid-bass on the EmpTeks is awesome. It does lack some separation and clarity, though, especially on the high and low ends. That could be sonic resonance in the enclosure. The Ascends definitely have a more solid enclosure, though they don't look as nice.

The Ascends can sound a bit thin in the mid bass, and are very forward. It's like putting your ear next to the instrument when you listen to music, which is pretty amazing. However, there are times when the highs can get a bit shrill and overwhelming. I find the forwardness and brightness to be a bit fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time. The EmpTeks are very comfortable to listen to, but after listening to the Ascends, I know I'm missing out on a lot of detail. They're just not as precise as the Ascends.

I do think that just replacing the tweeter itself would probably improve the clarity of the EmpTeks, but the whole point of buying pre-built speakers is that it's all taken care of for you by audio engineers. I'm not a fan of replacing components in something I just purchased. I think they new designs they're coming out with will be much more neutral and accurate, but those are still a ways out, and they'll most likely be more expensive because of better components.
banyar likes this.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I did, but I actually preferred the RBH center with the towers. I think I may try it the other way around, and see what that's like.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
I did, but I actually preferred the RBH center with the towers. I think I may try it the other way around, and see what that's like.
Wow, surprised to hear that. Did you level/EQ match the Ascend with the RBH towers? I'd expect needing to dial back the center level a bit to make them blend with the towers, and maybe EQ them separately if your receiver offers that option. Hope you don't try to listen to music without going back to stereo?
Old 10-11-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Wow, surprised to hear that. Did you level/EQ match the Ascend with the RBH towers? I'd expect needing to dial back the center level a bit to make them blend with the towers, and maybe EQ them separately if your receiver offers that option. Hope you don't try to listen to music without going back to stereo?
I did dial it back, but the tonality mismatch bothered me quite a bit as a center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems