12Likes

post #541 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Anyone know if the different looking drivers in the es1010i sub have a function? Are the two woofers putting out different quality/quantity of sound? I assume so, but could find nothing in the description to indicate this...

I don't think they're different..... You're seeing shadow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohmann9 View Post

hey all,
just got my pair of es1010i subs today. first post on here btw, but i've been checking out this thread a lot along the way. here's a picture of them next to my e55ti's. hope that helps you out with the visualization lsturbointeg. the sound is incredible. shakes my couch and it really sounds like the bass is coming from everywhere in the room. reasonably small living area. maybe 15'x10'. really adds to the towers giving them a tactile punch. next move is upgrading my center channel and I'd like some of your input on that. would I really appreciate having a vertical center (perhaps a e5ti) over the e56ci? I'm considering going phantom with my speakers so close together, but really like having the center to anchor the dialog to the tv. These subs are great for music imo. I haven't heard that many subs to compare to, but my friend's deq-15" velodyne doesn't make me jealous anymore. thanks for any feedback.

Have you tried putting the subs closer to the TV and spreading the towers out? Just swap places with the subs and the towers?
post #543 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

I don't think they're different..... You're seeing shadow.

The color of the inverted dust caps arevdifferent. I doubt it does anything other than create a little visual interest.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #544 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Yes, I guess I should have guessed that the changes were aesthetic only...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #545 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 12
i wonder if the wife would notice $600 missing from the checking account? wonder if it's worth getting into trouble for?
post #546 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post

Have you tried putting the subs closer to the TV and spreading the towers out? Just swap places with the subs and the towers?

It was set up this way before I got the two es1010i's. I just had the onkyo htib sub then. I didn't want the right tower being too close to the walkway in that direction, so I put the subs outside. Are there any advantages to spreading them further? I had my living room arranged differently with a wider set up but could not fully utilize rear surrounds that way so i had front heights. There's always something new to play with. I am amazed by how even the bass is with dual subs. the sound source is not localized at all. Once i have the time I have got to fix the rattles in the room.
post #547 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

i wonder if the wife would notice $600 missing from the checking account? wonder if it's worth getting into trouble for?

"FREE TRIAL" what can go wrong? isnt it easier to ask forgiveness than permission?
post #548 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM

is it better for music or movies, or both equally?

Saw this posted on another thread:
"...low end is nowhere near what you want for home theater".
post #549 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justahead View Post

well that kinda depends on what you call "home theater". One of the system reviews on audioholics has 2 es1010i's and the towers damn near flat to 20hz in room. These are very effective in my living area that is near 15x10. I would imagine they would go beyond that quite a bit. The price is right for these when on sale for sure. but if you want to go to the inaudible frequencies ull have to build your own for something in this price range. ud be hard pressed to find a sub at $300 (on sale) that will even come close i think. maybe cadence 12" but i doubt it.
now to your question.. i would say 50/50 from my perspective. sound is very tight, yet it can shake the house.
post #550 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Should have my 1010i on Friday. Setting up my first quality audio system w/o going broke. No towers, OMD-5s bookshelf L&R. More for music. Hope it'll play well together.
post #551 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justahead View Post

I am plenty happy with the es1010i for movies in my set up. I generally don't play music with a lot of bass, but if I did these be equally good for that. I like my e55ti sets in the avr to "full" so I get the six bass drivers and the two sub drivers all going full tilt!

I think that anyone going with Emptek for the rest of their setup will be more than happy with the es1010i. The Emptek package for me is at the point where futher sound quality improvements are not going to be big enough to justify the expensive. I would have to upgrade all of my speakers before I would begin to feeling like the es1010i was a weak link.
post #552 of 3353 Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

I am plenty happy with the es1010i for movies in my set up. I generally don't play music with a lot of bass, but if I did these be equally good for that. I like my e55ti sets in the avr to "full" so I get the six bass drivers and the two sub drivers all going full tilt!

I think that anyone going with Emptek for the rest of their setup will be more than happy with the es1010i. The Emptek package for me is at the point where futher sound quality improvements are not going to be big enough to justify the expensive. I would have to upgrade all of my speakers before I would begin to feeling like the es1010i was a weak link.

Yeah I would agree with this, just having it for a week now and its making the neighbors jumpy when I got a nice low bass sound on any good movies like immortals. Sure you can go get one with better bass from SVS or HSU but what I'm liking about this sub is it fit to an over all good mix with lows and highs with the E55ti speakers. Overall I'm shocked with the bass and the speakers to me they sound almost as good as the Salk Songtowers in the right room, No joke I swear!

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #553 of 3353 Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For those of you who have purchased the EMP surrounds...what do they bring to the table? Obviously, the speakers look great...
My surrounds are from an older SLS Q line gold system and sound just fine. The replacement of the Polk front with the EMP mini towers was a huge improvement and next, I really want to get a good sub...however, the dual woofer, bidirection surround has me interested...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #554 of 3353 Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

For those of you who have purchased the EMP surrounds...what do they bring to the table? Obviously, the speakers look great...
My surrounds are from an older SLS Q line gold system and sound just fine. The replacement of the Polk front with the EMP mini towers was a huge improvement and next, I really want to get a good sub...however, the dual woofer, bidirection surround has me interested...

The Emp bi-polars surrounds create a wider soundstage from behind no matter where you are sitting. For me it feels more a movie theater where you are in a 360 degree bubble of sound.
post #555 of 3353 Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 245
The dust caps on mine are the same.

I am putting my 2 1010i's in place of a SVS 20-39 pci. Will report back on how it sounds in comparison.

I also tested one out against a svs 16-46pc+ and while the svs was for sure deeper on transformers scenes, I would have never known I was missing anything without doing an a/b test. This was just one 1010i before the port changes to boost the low end.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #556 of 3353 Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:

The Emp bi-polars surrounds create a wider soundstage from behind no matter where you are sitting. For me it feels more a movie theater where you are in a 360 degree bubble of sound.

i concur! i get this wrap around effect when the sound travels from either left to right or vice versa. it's gotta be because of the bipolar design, having 2 woofer/mid range and 2 tweeters in the same box. i did try to hear what it would sound like with bookshelf speakers and what a big time difference.
post #557 of 3353 Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM

well, i almost pulled the trigger on 2 1010i's but my current 12" klipsch hit's pretty hard at 300 watts rms 650 dynamic. i think i was going for more of the aesthetic looks vs performance. i'll use the money towards some E5bi's bookshelf for front height/wide instead.
post #558 of 3353 Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

The dust caps on mine are the same.

I am putting my 2 1010i's in place of a SVS 20-39 pci. Will report back on how it sounds in comparison.

I also tested one out against a svs 16-46pc+ and while the svs was for sure deeper on transformers scenes, I would have never known I was missing anything without doing an a/b test. This was just one 1010i before the port changes to boost the low end.

Oh nice I can't wait to hear what you have to say about that as well! Let us know!

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #559 of 3353 Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are mine.

Ran audyssey and it set the subs at -12 so I need to readjust the levels on the subs. Calibrated then to the same output but I guess the gain is too high. They do sound too bass heavy right now. Will do it later tonight or tomorrow.

I had the right sub since nov and installed the longer port tubes last night. The left sub just came in this week. There was little bass coming from the new sub. Noted it looked the one woofer was moving in while the other was moving out. Took out the top woofer and it was wired out if phase. Switched the wires and the bass is now strong.

The feet are hard plastic. I wish they came with rubber feet too. They slide very easily on my hardwood floors. I wonder if they will wander around when played loudly? I will have to find some rubber feet.

post #560 of 3353 Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that looks awesome! my ported 12" klipsch sub fires downward behind my couch in the corner since it's always been recommended to get the sub closer to the corners of the room. how does it sound having the subs facing foward in front especially having 2 enclosures both with 2-10" woofers? i know the ports are in the rear but does the subs fill the room and blend or can you tell they're coming from the front?
post #561 of 3353 Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that looks awesome! my ported 12" klipsch sub fires downward behind my couch in the corner since it's always been recommended to get the sub closer to the corners of the room. how does it sound having the subs facing foward in front especially having 2 enclosures both with 2-10" woofers? i know the ports are in the rear but does the subs fill the room and blend or can you tell they're coming from the front?

The ports are on the bottom on these.

The bass fills the room, you can't tell where it coming from.

I am happy so far with the results. I have listened to a few bass heavy songs and a few scenes from the most recent MI movie. Tomorrow I will try out a few of my favorite bass scenes (LOTR, war of the worlds, iron man and the newest hulk to see how it compares to the svs 20-39 pci that these have replaced (not sure if this is perm, the wife likes the look better for sure).

They sound much better now that I turned down the gain on the subs and reran audyssey. They were at least 12db too hot and sounded boomy.

Using these with a denon 2312, and mirage nanosats as surrounds. This is really the third HT setup in the house and the one that will be used the least, however it is the one that will be seen the most.

In my gameroom I have a 105 inch screen/projector with the same mains and center but with the Emp Tek surrounds (which sound way better than the mirage sats) and a SVS 16-46pc+, a SVS 20-39pc+ and a SVS PB12+ all run off of a denon 4311. I also have a bedroom setup with 2 SVS SB13+'s but no emptek stuff. So I have a lot of subs to compare them to, although not all in the same room. Toying with the idea of moving the 1010i's into the bedroom and moving the SB13+'s into the living room. The bedroom is by far the smallest room of the three so the emps may perform better in there. The living room is open to the dinning room/kitchen and two long hall ways. The gameroom is about 75% the size of the whole house.

post #562 of 3353 Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched WOW Emergence scene. Couldn't really crank it as some family members are sleeping. At these levels I certainly don't feel like I am missing anything over the previous setup and my bedroom setup. It seems the floor shakes more than with the other subs. I need to get a thick rubber pad for each sub. Anyone know where to get one cheap? I am sure a lot of the energy is being transformed to the hardwood floor by the hard plastic feet.

Like I said, I don't feel like I am missing any bass at this point, but I have to go on memory, can't really do a/b testing as I have to run through audyssey each time.

Next up U571

post #563 of 3353 Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I will have to re-watch U571 on one of my other setups, but I do feel like I am missing something in the depth charge scenes. It has been awhile since I watched it though and I can't really crank it right now. Can still feel a good rumble, but at this point I fell like I have heard it better. Will test it again tomorrow. I feel like if I am just throwing a number out, that maybe I am getting 85 % of what I got out of my bedroom setup with this movie which is/was pretty comparable to the 20-39pci that was in this setup before. My bedroom subs were $$$$ though, so 85% is pretty good considering what I paid for these (one was free with a black Friday package and the other was $299!!!!, so $300 compared to about $2200, only paid $150 for the 20-39pci on Craigslist from an older gentleman that babied it = ultimate bang for buck!!)

Remember, I don't, and will not have any hard numbers to verify or backup anything I am saying. I did play a 20hz test tone earlier today and I was certainly able to hear/feel it in this room.

I would certainly say that the test that Gene at audioholics did on this setup seems right on. I heard a good amount of bass at 20Hz, but it was down a bit from the 30hz test tone. I actually have a SPL meter so I could test the two tones, however from what I have read this meter is off by quite a bit at 20hz

post #564 of 3353 Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:

I had the right sub since nov and installed the longer port tubes last night.

I also have the early 1010i model before the extended port revision. I haven't installed the ports extensions yet. Supposedly the new ports design lowers the sub a whole octave. Did you hear much of a difference?
post #565 of 3353 Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:

I will have to re-watch U571 on one of my other setups, but I do feel like I am missing something in the depth charge scenes. It has been awhile since I watched it though and I can't really crank it right now. Can still feel a good rumble, but at this point I fell like I have heard it better. Will test it again tomorrow. I feel like if I am just throwing a number out, that maybe I am getting 85 % of what I got out of my bedroom setup with this movie which is/was pretty comparable to the 20-39pci that was in this setup before. My bedroom subs were $$$$ though, so 85% is pretty good considering what I paid for these (one was free with a black Friday package and the other was $299!!!!, so $300 compared to about $2200, only paid $150 for the 20-39pci on Craigslist from an older gentleman that babied it = ultimate bang for buck!!)

Remember, I don't, and will not have any hard numbers to verify or backup anything I am saying. I did play a 20hz test tone earlier today and I was certainly able to hear/feel it in this room.

I would certainly say that the test that Gene at audioholics did on this setup seems right on. I heard a good amount of bass at 20Hz, but it was down a bit from the 30hz test tone. I actually have a SPL meter so I could test the two tones, however from what I have read this meter is off by quite a bit at 20hz

Thanks raynist and awesome to hear and thanks for the update on the subs, I feel the same about what Gene had to say about them and they will get the floor to moving a bit but in some movies I can tell it doesn't get down as from as the SVS subs but on the other hand it makes for a great mix with the E55ti tower speakers.

post #566 of 3353 Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also have the early 1010i model before the extended port revision. I haven't installed the ports extensions yet. Supposedly the new ports design lowers the sub a whole octave. Did you hear much of a difference?

I only used the original sub for 5 minutes when I received it to make sure it worked. I actually had no intention of keeping it. Actually had it for sale on several sites. Only decided to keep it when they had the big sale last week.

From what I have heard (actually read from gene's review on audioholics), the extended port tubes add about 3db to the bass under 25hz.

post #567 of 3353 Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched the opening scene of LOTR and I am impressed. I listened quite loudly. I then took the movie into my bedroom and listened at the same level and I don't think there was a difference. The SB13's sound a bit better to my ear, the empteks might sound a little boomer, but that could be due to room acoustics. The bedroom has carpet and the living room is hardwood. When I first watched it I thought I was missing some deep bass so I took the movie to the bedroom and realizes I wasn't.

Not sure how just one would sound. I don't plan on testing it though as I don't want to rerun audyssey again this weekend. There is too much traffic in that room, I can't keep everyone out of it for 30 minutes.

post #568 of 3353 Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM

so i'm wondering since i can't really crank my sub because of the neighbors would i benefit to setting my E55ti's to large instead of small that way i can get most of my bass from the 3 woofers?
post #569 of 3353 Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so i'm wondering since i can't really crank my sub because of the neighbors would i benefit to setting my E55ti's to large instead of small that way i can get most of my bass from the 3 subs?

Try it and see how it sounds. I did not like the sound when mine where running full range with the subs. The bass sounded a bit bloated so I am crossing them at 80hz but every room is different.

post #570 of 3353 Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Try it and see how it sounds. I did not like the sound when mine where running full range with the subs. The bass sounded a bit bloated so I am crossing them at 80hz but every room is different.

looks like i gotta run MCCAC again setting the main speakers to large. i'll see if there's a difference in sound.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page