**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 548Likes

post #5851 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylaartist View Post
ok. We're moving in on the 17th, so gives me a few days. Installer to come the next week. They should only take a few days according to website.thanks for the advice. I was going to go to BB to listen to the def techs today. But I'm hearing that the Emp teks are definitely (no pun intended??) better. Thanks
Hmm, I ordered my R55Ti's and R56Ci a couple days ago. I received an email saying they would ship in 2-4 weeks due to sale demand. I'm fine with that but maybe not others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Were the R55ti's on sale? If so I assume I missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5853 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
Appreciate the input, Soul.

I'm more of a lurker extraordinaire and beginner compared to many of you quality posters.
Love reading and getting quality equipment, but plug and play is more my style.
I do know that a rear ported sub is out of the question as it restricts placement.

My room won't have advanced acoustical treatments and will need to control boomy bass when necessary which steered me more toward a sealed sub if I'm understanding this correctly. I might even have to buy subwoofer feet to help control it.

For the subwoofer feet.
If the sub sit on carpet, it will not make a big difference if any.
On a hard floor, I would recommend them.

Ray
post #5854 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
Hmm, I ordered my R55Ti's and R56Ci a couple days ago. I received an email saying they would ship in 2-4 weeks due to sale demand. I'm fine with that but maybe not others.

True, and is a good sign for the quality of these speakers for the price.
Those who wait will be far more happy than those who rush and have no patience.

Ray
post #5855 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
ok. We're moving in on the 17th, so gives me a few days. Installer to come the next week. They should only take a few days according to website.thanks for the advice. I was going to go to BB to listen to the def techs today. But I'm hearing that the Emp teks are definitely (no pun intended??) better. Thanks
I'm going to go ahead and order the center R56Ci and the surrounds, since they seem about 40-50% off now. Hopefully when the towers are back in stock, their price will still be good. Any advice on good speaker stands for seating at couch? Sanus seems good, but so many different ones, which will work well with these speakers, size and weight, etc? thanks
post #5856 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the R5Bi pair and the smaller center in black ash. Should be a big step up from what I have. Now I just have to figure out if I want the I-12 sub or go for the Outlaw X-12.
post #5857 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
I bought the R5Bi pair and the smaller center in black ash. Should be a big step up from what I have. Now I just have to figure out if I want the I-12 sub or go for the Outlaw X-12.
Tough choice, I think the X12 will dig deeper, but the I-12 will probably have more output. At the sale price I would get the Outlaw, otherwise I would get the I-12.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #5858 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Tough choice, I think the X12 will dig deeper, but the I-12 will probably have more output. At the sale price I would get the Outlaw, otherwise I would get the I-12.
Which is more suited to a smaller living room? I'm looking for more clean and punchy than boomy.
post #5859 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
Which is more suited to a smaller living room? I'm looking for more clean and punchy than boomy.
I would go with the X12 then, it has a max extension mode that makes it dig deeper and sound more articulate, at the expense of some output. In a smaller space I doubt you would notice the difference, you likely won't even be using the sub to it's potential anyway and headroom is good to have.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #5860 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 661
The I12 should have plenty of UMPH for a small room, assuming your definition of small isn't 20x24 foot and open to three other room with vaunted ceilings!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #5861 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
I ordered the day of the sale, an R56Ci center that still shows in stock today, and I got the same "2 to 4 weeks" delay notice from Brian at RBH.

Mint black oak Rythmik F12 for sale, please PM
Speakers/Sub: EMP Tek R55Ti mains, R56Ci center, R5Bi surrounds, SubMersive F2
post #5862 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
The I12 should have plenty of UMPH for a small room, assuming your definition of small isn't 20x24 foot and open to three other room with vaunted ceilings!
They both will, no question. That's why I'm more concerned with accuracy rather than pure output.
post #5863 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and order the center R56Ci and the surrounds, since they seem about 40-50% off now. Hopefully when the towers are back in stock, their price will still be good. Any advice on good speaker stands for seating at couch? Sanus seems good, but so many different ones, which will work well with these speakers, size and weight, etc? thanks
That's the setup that i have and it sounds great, R56Ci and pair of R5Bi's. My living room flows into dining and kitchen and that's why I purchased the larger center (last year). After reading more of this thread, the smaller one may have suited me fine as well, but I'll never know now!
post #5864 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I was hoping getting them before xmas but it doesn't look like that.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #5865 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That is precisely why I'd appreciate your opinion on the R56Ci . So thank you in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Looking for your opinion on the large R65Ci center as well. I also use a bookshelf as a center channel.

I will definitely update you guys on the differences I hear in my system, if I keep the order. After making some changes last night to the settings on my Rythmik sub, I'm now getting the most dynamic and coherent sound ever from my system, including the little R5Bi used as center channel. It sounds so, so good that I find myself questioning the need of the big center and feeling hesitant to change anything in the system now because it is so perfectly dialed in after last night's tweaks. In addition, getting Brian's email saying "2 to 4 weeks" delay is not helping me keep the order. I'd rather have paid the extra $45-ish for regular price and had the order ship right away. I'm curious to see if they charged my card right away even though it may be a month before it ships...

Ross

post #5866 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the LFM-1 plus from Outlaw, so it is a relative of the X12. And I have the EMP10i10i...but those are more likely created from RBH subs designs and not all that similar to the 10i10i.

The LFM-1 have excellent extention at the low end, is accurate and has great output. I use it with my EMP10i10i, becuase I really like the midbass hump that the EMP provides.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #5867 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
I will definitely update you guys on the differences I hear in my system, if I keep the order. After making some changes last night to the settings on my Rythmik sub, I'm now getting the most dynamic and coherent sound ever from my system, including the little R5Bi used as center channel. It sounds so, so good that I find myself questioning the need of the big center and feeling hesitant to change anything in the system now because it is so perfectly dialed in after last night's tweaks. In addition, getting Brian's email saying "2 to 4 weeks" delay is not helping me keep the order. I'd rather have paid the extra $45-ish for regular price and had the order ship right away. I'm curious to see if they charged my card right away even though it may be a month before it ships...

Ross
I hear you, Ross. If it isn’t broke, why fix it? If return shipping isn’t too much, you may always wonder if the R56Ci would be an improvement since it uses the same drivers as the R55Ti’s (that was my thinking, anyway). And while I was very curious about the R56Ci as a center, and your thoughts about it after auditioning, I actually see no reason why I would change from what I own now. I hear dialog just fine. Everything is smooth and detailed across the front stage. Plus, I feel the R5Ci center channel has helped the high end and vertical soundstage of the R55Ti’s (not the R55Ti’s best traits) once it was integrated.
darthray and rossandwendy like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #5868 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hear you, Ross. If it isn’t broke, why fix it? If return shipping isn’t too much, you may always wonder if the R56Ci would be an improvement since it uses the same drivers as the R55Ti’s (that was my thinking, anyway). And while I was very curious about the R56Ci as a center, and your thoughts about it after auditioning, I actually see no reason why I would change from what I own now. I hear dialog just fine. Everything is smooth and detailed across the front stage. Plus, I feel the R5Ci center channel has helped the high end and vertical soundstage of the R55Ti’s (not the R55Ti’s best traits) once it was integrated.
I could try a single E5Bi on it's side in place of my E56Ci and offer up some feedback, I feel like that is probably a useful comparison for a lot of people. I would have to run in 3.1 to do it, but it wouldn't make much of a difference.
rossandwendy and banyar like this.

post #5869 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I could try a single E5Bi on it's side in place of my E56Ci and offer up some feedback, I feel like that is probably a useful comparison for a lot of people. I would have to run in 3.1 to do it, but it wouldn't make much of a difference.
Yes, if you don't mind, that would be a help. Right now your mind is dialed in on the integrated E56Ci, so that would be especially interesting to read your thoughts right after you swap them. I would expect you to hear an immediate difference. However, after several hours of listening your brain will be more dialed in on that sound. It's at that time I'd also like to read your opinion.

Edit: I should add that it's not that simple to just swap out a center. You'd need to rerun Audyssey. After running Audyssey so many times, I fully understand if you decide not to do it .
rossandwendy likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.

Last edited by dsrussell; 12-02-2015 at 10:50 AM.
post #5870 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, if you don't mind, that would be a help. Right now your mind is dialed in on the integrated E56Ci, so that would be especially interesting to read your thoughts right after you swap them. I would expect you to hear an immediate difference. However, after several hours of listening your brain will be more dialed in on that sound. It's at that time I'd also like to read your opinion.
Yeah I'll give it a go tonight and see how it sounds. I'll have to re-run Audyssey as that is what I am used to with the E56Ci for movies. I really need to buy one of those mic stands, I have had to resort to zip-tying my Audyssey mic to the end of my Swifter and propping it up. It works just as well as anything and I can get all 8 locations, but it looks pretty hilarious
rossandwendy and dsrussell like this.

post #5871 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good thoughts, I agree. When I switched my R5Bi mains out last year for the R55Ti towers, It was not a night-and-day difference, but it was noticeable to me - I got more authority from those towers, especially heard on big bass drum whacks on blu-ray soundtracks, a touch better integration with the sub, and a bit less sense of strain when playing demanding action movies loud. More importantly, with the towers I gained more stability to resist my cat who had tried to jump up on top of the stand-mounted bookshelf speakers :-)

Quote:
Yeah I'll give it a go tonight and see how it sounds. I'll have to re-run Audyssey as that is what I am used to with the E56Ci for movies. I really need to buy one of those mic stands, I have had to resort to zip-tying my Audyssey mic to the end of my Swifter and propping it up. It works just as well as anything and I can get all 8 locations, but it looks pretty hilarious

That would be awesome and appreciated! And I like your DYI mic stand :-)

Ross
dsrussell likes this.

post #5872 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Good thoughts, I agree. When I switched my R5Bi mains out last year for the R55Ti towers, It was not a night-and-day difference, but it was noticeable to me - I got more authority from those towers, especially heard on big bass drum whacks on blu-ray soundtracks, a touch better integration with the sub, and a bit less sense of strain when playing demanding action movies loud. More importantly, with the towers I gained more stability to resist my cat who had tried to jump up on top of the stand-mounted bookshelf speakers :-)

Ross
Totally agree. I felt the same way when I first setup the R55Ti towers. Their best attribute is their powerful and clean upper bass and lower midrange frequencies. This works very well for both movies and music. The first thing I played on the towers was a Steven Wilson’s track entitled, “Once”. The beginning drums (which is always impressive) were amazing and left a big, stupid grin on my face .

I can understand a better integration results with a sub over the R5Bi's. The bookshelf speakers were set with an 80 Hz crossover point, while the towers I set at 60 Hz. It’s worked out really well.
rossandwendy and yanks1 like this.

post #5873 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Totally agree. I felt the same way when I first setup the R55Ti towers. Their best attribute is their powerful and clean upper bass and lower midrange frequencies. This works very well for both movies and music. The first thing I played on the towers was a Steven Wilson’s track entitled, “Once”. The beginning drums (which is always impressive) were amazing and left a big, stupid grin on my face .

I can understand a better integration results with a sub over the R5Bi's. The bookshelf speakers were set with an 80 Hz crossover point, while the towers I set at 60 Hz. It’s worked out really well.
Sometimes, it is the small things in life that cause us to have the big stupid grin that make things all worth while. The first time I played Tommy Bolin's Post Toastee, where there is a powerful, echo snare drum part in the middle...big stupid grin! Then I bought the Phil-BMR and the same song.. bigger, stupider grin!
dsrussell likes this.

Last edited by Elihawk; 12-02-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #5874 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Were the R55ti's on sale? If so I assume I missed it

About $80 off for the pair. Nothing huge for a BF sale but it still something.
post #5875 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Shoot; wish I knew; that's > 10%

post #5876 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just got an email saying they shipped out my order today.
rossandwendy and Montucky like this.
post #5877 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Sometimes, it is the small things in life that cause us to have the big stupid grin that make things all worth while. The first time I played Tommy Bolin's Post Toastee, where there is a powerful, echo snare drum part in the middle...big stupid grin! Then I bought the Phil-BMR and the same song.. bigger, stupider grin!
Or, the Iowa Hawkeyes playing way above what anyone ever thought .

post #5878 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Or, the Iowa Hawkeyes playing way above what anyone ever thought .
And watching the Hawkeyes on my 110 inch projector screen doesn't suck either, although I have been to 10/12 games live, so...

post #5879 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonontherun View Post
Just got an email saying they shipped out my order today.
Looks like we will be getting plenty of feedback from several new owners. Let us know what you think.

post #5880 of 6228 Old 12-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I just went to the Outlaw site and saw that the sale just ended. That makes my decision easy since the Outlaw is firmly outside of my budget now. Luckily I really like the look of the I-12 anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page