**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 548Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6031 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,859
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Yeah I have seen both, but only with my old F-12, I will definitely tread carefully.



I usually listen at -10dB, so it's a good thing you mention that I have seen EoT several times, when it was on HBO, but before the new sub and streaming is never as good. Should be a good chance to see what that Ultra can do
The compression thing can be pretty significant on HBO/Cinemax/Netflix...Oblivion, well, I had to re-adjust my subwoofer settings to prevent distortion from the BR and after recording and watching it on HBO, I couldn't make it make my subwoofer distort if I tried (and I watched the recorded versus at -8.5 dB).
So be prepared for the full LFE and that opening scene will give you a pretty good glimpse of what you are getting! btw, solid LFE throughout the movie...
Transmaniacon likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Elihawk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6032 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Well I got Edge of Tomorrow and Interstellar for Christmas, so those are next on the list to watch with the new sub!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I usually listen at -10dB, so it's a good thing you mention that I have seen EoT several times, when it was on HBO, but before the new sub and streaming is never as good. Should be a good chance to see what that Ultra can do
I have both and really enjoyed both movies. I thought the ending of Interstellar was a bit over done, but the concept and the first 80% of the movie was very engaging and enjoyable - with great LFE of course.

Edge of Tomorrow was a great ride. The entire movie was engaging, and the constant LFE was nice. The bass was very dynamic for the type of movie that it is and didn't seem one noted at all.

If the master volume is at -10dB, are your subs hotter than that? If not, I think you will be fine for Edge of Tomorrow. I listened to some music before starting the movie. I also let the main menu screen role for a few minutes to pick up the volume to about -12dB, but I usually run my subs 4-6dB hotter than the mains. Based on your gear, I think you will have the headroom suitable for Edge of Tomorrow. If you are at all worried, bump the signal down a several dB and watch it, then re-watch it again with more signal. You don't want to skip that scene

Another movie you want to get ahold of is John Wick and Lucy. Two movies I had set aside and never watched up until a couple weekends ago (John Wick) and Lucy a month or so ago. I didn't seem that engaged by watching the previews, but I was very wrong when I finally watched them both. Great LFE as well.
Transmaniacon likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6033 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Member
 
rahulp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi folks,
finally got my 7.1 set up completed. :-)
Here is how it looks.
the rear surrounds are straight behind the couch wall mounted.

Ran the audyssey again, sounds great. But.. there is that punch missing, cant quite put a finger on it but I am not getting that fullness you would expect in movie theaters for example.
Tried with blu ray as well as streaming netflix.
Looking for some suggestions on good blu-ray movies/scenes to assess the sound further.. preferably ones that are in 7.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151227_082126.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1149090  

7.1 HT Setup: EMPTek E55Ti (L&R), E56Ci (Center), E5Bi (side and rear surrounds), SVS PB-2000, DENON AVR x2100W, BENQ W1070, SilverTicket 110" screen

Last edited by rahulp001; 12-29-2015 at 09:12 AM.
rahulp001 is offline  
post #6034 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I have both and really enjoyed both movies. I thought the ending of Interstellar was a bit over done, but the concept and the first 80% of the movie was very engaging and enjoyable - with great LFE of course.

Edge of Tomorrow was a great ride. The entire movie was engaging, and the constant LFE was nice. The bass was very dynamic for the type of movie that it is and didn't seem one noted at all.

If the master volume is at -10dB, are your subs hotter than that? If not, I think you will be fine for Edge of Tomorrow. I listened to some music before starting the movie. I also let the main menu screen role for a few minutes to pick up the volume to about -12dB, but I usually run my subs 4-6dB hotter than the mains. Based on your gear, I think you will have the headroom suitable for Edge of Tomorrow. If you are at all worried, bump the signal down a several dB and watch it, then re-watch it again with more signal. You don't want to skip that scene

Another movie you want to get ahold of is John Wick and Lucy. Two movies I had set aside and never watched up until a couple weekends ago (John Wick) and Lucy a month or so ago. I didn't seem that engaged by watching the previews, but I was very wrong when I finally watched them both. Great LFE as well.
My sub level is at -6dB right now from Audyssey, I usually keep it there and bump it up to -3dB if the bass is a little light in the movie. I will probably keep it at -6dB for EoT, and tread carefully. Maybe do a run through to see what I am dealing with and then rewatch when I know what to expect.

I loved John Wick, haven't seen Lucy. Would definitely like to pick that up though, will keep an eye out for a sale.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6035 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Hi folks,
finally got my 7.1 set up completed. :-)
Here is how it looks.
the rear surrounds are straight behind the couch wall mounted.

Ran the audyssey again, sounds great. But.. there is that punch missing, cant quite put a finger on it but I am not getting that fullness you would expect in movie theaters for example.
Tried with blu ray as well as streaming netflix.
Looking for some suggestions on good blu-ray movies/scenes to assess the sound further.. preferably ones that are in 7.1
Looks good! Depending on your room size, you may want more low end to really pressurize that space. A second PB-2000 would be something to work towards in the future.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6036 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
The compression thing can be pretty significant on HBO/Cinemax/Netflix...Oblivion, well, I had to re-adjust my subwoofer settings to prevent distortion from the BR and after recording and watching it on HBO, I couldn't make it make my subwoofer distort if I tried (and I watched the recorded versus at -8.5 dB).
So be prepared for the full LFE and that opening scene will give you a pretty good glimpse of what you are getting! btw, solid LFE throughout the movie...
Yeah Oblivion on HBO was a bit disappointing sound-wise, the Blu-Ray sounds absolutely fantastic though.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6037 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Hi folks,
finally got my 7.1 set up completed. :-)
Here is how it looks.
the rear surrounds are straight behind the couch wall mounted.

Ran the audyssey again, sounds great. But.. there is that punch missing, cant quite put a finger on it but I am not getting that fullness you would expect in movie theaters for example.
Tried with blu ray as well as streaming netflix.
Looking for some suggestions on good blu-ray movies/scenes to assess the sound further.. preferably ones that are in 7.1
Did you edit any settings after running audyssey? For starters, cross all your speakers over at 80Hz.

What percentage is the gain knob at on the back of the PB-2000? What is the subwoofer signal setting at in your receiver?

After you answer those questions, there is a couple more things to try. What I am thinking is that Audyssey set your mains at 60Hz crossovers and you're losing some oomph at the low end of your mains. Audyssey tends to set the sub a little bass light so we are going to check your current sub settings (with your response to asked questions above)

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6038 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Hi folks,
finally got my 7.1 set up completed. :-)
Here is how it looks.
the rear surrounds are straight behind the couch wall mounted.

Ran the audyssey again, sounds great. But.. there is that punch missing, cant quite put a finger on it but I am not getting that fullness you would expect in movie theaters for example.
Tried with blu ray as well as streaming netflix.
Looking for some suggestions on good blu-ray movies/scenes to assess the sound further.. preferably ones that are in 7.1
Audyssey can be very conservative when it comes to bass. A lot of people around this site run their subs a few DB's hot to get that punch they're looking for.
AllenA07 is online now  
post #6039 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Member
 
rahulp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Did you edit any settings after running audyssey? For starters, cross all your speakers over at 80Hz.

What percentage is the gain knob at on the back of the PB-2000? What is the subwoofer signal setting at in your receiver?

After you answer those questions, there is a couple more things to try. What I am thinking is that Audyssey set your mains at 60Hz crossovers and you're losing some oomph at the low end of your mains. Audyssey tends to set the sub a little bass light so we are going to check your current sub settings (with your response to asked questions above)
Yeah, audyssey had me at 40 for the LR and 60 for the center. I already switched them to 80Hz for all.
The subwoofer knob on the back is at about two clicks higher than the center position. The subwoofer signal setting after audyssey was at +5db (will confirm this once again tonite).

7.1 HT Setup: EMPTek E55Ti (L&R), E56Ci (Center), E5Bi (side and rear surrounds), SVS PB-2000, DENON AVR x2100W, BENQ W1070, SilverTicket 110" screen
rahulp001 is offline  
post #6040 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Yeah, audyssey had me at 40 for the LR and 60 for the center. I already switched them to 80Hz for all.
The subwoofer knob on the back is at about two clicks higher than the center position. The subwoofer signal setting after audyssey was at +5db (will confirm this once again tonite).
Wow, that seems interesting that your receiver is possibly at +5dB. Did you turn up the gain knob after running Audyssey?

SVS subs usually really start to open up at about 70%. I would "click" it over several more times and re-run Audyssey.

BTW, after running Audyssey, you shouldn't adjust the gain knob. Only the signal level. If Audyssey sets the signal level at -4dB or anything more (-3db, -2dB, etc.), I would add some gain to the back of the sub and re run.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6041 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Member
 
rahulp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Wow, that seems interesting that your receiver is possibly at +5dB. Did you turn up the gain knob after running Audyssey?

SVS subs usually really start to open up at about 70%. I would "click" it over several more times and re-run Audyssey.

BTW, after running Audyssey, you shouldn't adjust the gain knob. Only the signal level. If Audyssey sets the signal level at -4dB or anything more (-3db, -2dB, etc.), I would add some gain to the back of the sub and re run.
Oh ok, did not know that. While running Audessey the set up recommends to have the subwoofer knob at the center position. So, left it there before i ran audyssey. After running audyssey I thought the bass was lacking so I went and moved the knob a bit higher.
Thanks for the input.

7.1 HT Setup: EMPTek E55Ti (L&R), E56Ci (Center), E5Bi (side and rear surrounds), SVS PB-2000, DENON AVR x2100W, BENQ W1070, SilverTicket 110" screen
rahulp001 is offline  
post #6042 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,859
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Oh ok, did not know that. While running Audessey the set up recommends to have the subwoofer knob at the center position. So, left it there before i ran audyssey. After running audyssey I thought the bass was lacking so I went and moved the knob a bit higher.
Thanks for the input.
A couple really good suggestions in the thread. My thoughts, 1. you e55ti aren't producing much at 40hz, so as suggested, bump that up to 60 or 80 Hz crossover. 2. Second, agree, sub setting make a huge difference, so take heed to some suggestions here. 3, Finally, I know little of the PB2000, but have only heard good things about the SVS subs. Could be that for the size of your room, you will need more sub, but that sub should definately give you some PUNCH, so I don't think that it is. have you tried the subwoofer crawl to determine the best place for your sub?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Elihawk is online now  
post #6043 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I do not have Audyssey or those special software since my rotel seperates are 12 years old and I do not have emp teks so I can't give opinions about that ...but I will tell you from my experience having multiple systems in the past I've always had to set my speakers to small and cross them at 80hz and bypass the xover at the sub for best performance in my room. Gave me the most punch that way. Maybe you do need another sub? I usually have my sub gained 5 db higher than my other speakers using spl meter when I calibrate it.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is offline  
post #6044 of 6228 Old 12-29-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taxman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Would love you to post pics of those EMP Teks with emotive gear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
How are you liking the monoliths for the EMP's? I've got an XPA-5 powering my fronts, and have been very happy with it.
The speakers are outstanding, watching football and listening to some cds again.. Very nice sound, beautiful and worth the wait..I will watch a loud BD as soon as I set up my new player that was also in Santas sled..My 100" screen comes down in front of 52" set..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1150354   Click image for larger version

Name:	amp2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1150362  
Transmaniacon likes this.

taxman48 is offline  
post #6045 of 6228 Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
ViperVenom18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Would love you to post pics of those EMP Teks with emotive gear!




Just added this!

Transmaniacon likes this.
ViperVenom18 is offline  
post #6046 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
That is a heck of an amp!

By the way, watched EoT the other night, you guys weren't kidding about the opening scene bass! I don't think the HBO version even had that in it... but the movie sounded fantastic. That initial scene where he is dropped in was fantastic, the Ultra did a great job.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6047 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post


[URL=http://s197.photobucket.com/user/vipervenom18/media/IMG_7890.jpg.html][/URL
I was about to say, have you considered putting the center under the TV and the AV gear inside the entertainment center? Then I saw the 2nd pic The setup looks great! Love the look of the new Impression subs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
That is a heck of an amp!

By the way, watched EoT the other night, you guys weren't kidding about the opening scene bass! I don't think the HBO version even had that in it... but the movie sounded fantastic. That initial scene where he is dropped in was fantastic, the Ultra did a great job.
Glad you enjoyed that scene and also the Ultra did a good job with it! I think you should splurge a little this weekend and grab some good blu-rays for the weekend! Because I know I am! I have a nice list of movies to watch while I have the house to myself for the entire weekend!

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6048 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,859
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 661
All IMHO...best movie I have heard for LFE only:
Godzilla, 2014...but man, not a great movie. IF I want a crappy-acted movie, I could watch Zombie movies, which often have great soundtracks.
Best movies that are actually good movies for LFE:
EoT, Oblivion, Battle for LA, Fury, Intrastellar
Best surround content movies:
2012, Avatar, Lone Survivor


Man, Viper, you have an intimidating front stage!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Elihawk is online now  
post #6049 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Glad you enjoyed that scene and also the Ultra did a good job with it! I think you should splurge a little this weekend and grab some good blu-rays for the weekend! Because I know I am! I have a nice list of movies to watch while I have the house to myself for the entire weekend!
I've got Interstellar to watch and might pick up Mad Max as well!

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6050 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I've got Interstellar to watch and might pick up Mad Max as well!
Mad Max is an assault on the senses in every sense of the term. I used it as one of my debut Atmos movies, and it is now pretty firmly entrenched as my demo for immersive audio. It's a fun movie and will give a theater a good workout.
AllenA07 is online now  
post #6051 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
All IMHO...best movie I have heard for LFE only:
Godzilla, 2014...but man, not a great movie. IF I want a crappy-acted movie, I could watch Zombie movies, which often have great soundtracks.
Best movies that are actually good movies for LFE:
EoT, Oblivion, Battle for LA, Fury, Intrastellar
Best surround content movies:
2012, Avatar, Lone Survivor


Man, Viper, you have an intimidating front stage!
Good list. I would add lot's too it, but there are just so many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I've got Interstellar to watch and might pick up Mad Max as well!
YAYYY, seriously...get Lucy I was rather surprised by the LFE.

OH, PS! I got one of those Tripp Lite things you have your sub plugged into. Pretty solid little box


I also got a flat, and angled extension so I can cover both with the sub itself instead of bending the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 8.00.44 AM.png
Views:	199
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1152914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 8.02.13 AM.png
Views:	198
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1152922  

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey

Last edited by bgtighe23; 12-31-2015 at 07:04 AM.
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6052 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 3,859
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I need to rewatch Lucy...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Elihawk is online now  
post #6053 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,526
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Good list. I would add lot's too it, but there are just so many!



YAYYY, seriously...get Lucy I was rather surprised by the LFE.

OH, PS! I got one of those Tripp Lite things you have your sub plugged into. Pretty solid little box


I also got a flat, and angled extension so I can cover both with the sub itself instead of bending the wire.
Yeah I need to pick that up as well! My Amazon wishlist is basically a bunch of Blu Rays

That was a good idea getting that cable, and yeah it seems like a well-built adapter.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #6054 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post




Just added this!

Wow! I have one subwoofer in my huge open floor plan and its already loud so I can't imagine how 4 subs sound! Love the setup! How would you describe the sound of those emp tek towers? How are they for 2 channel music vs home theater in your room? Any screen shots of the rear surrounds or back of the room?

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is offline  
post #6055 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
The speakers are outstanding, watching football and listening to some cds again.. Very nice sound, beautiful and worth the wait..I will watch a loud BD as soon as I set up my new player that was also in Santas sled..My 100" screen comes down in front of 52" set..
Nice setup! How much bigger is 100 inches from your 52 inch? Maybe a picture showing both side by side. How far do you sit from the screen?

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is offline  
post #6056 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Yeah I need to pick that up as well! My Amazon wishlist is basically a bunch of Blu Rays

That was a good idea getting that cable, and yeah it seems like a well-built adapter.
There are also these little puppies. I don't own them personally. They should be fine for basic outlets, but they don't specify the max power draw these can handle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...mh_gw_g23_i1_r



Oh, here's the link for the extension cable I got. I needed about 8" more, so it's the reason I chose to get the 1ft. extension over this hug-a-plug. The 1ft. extension also takes up less space, so I can put my sub half an inch closer to the wall
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...mh_gw_g23_i2_r

Both products save solid 5 star reviews, and I've used longer SF Cables and they seem fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 10.09.29 AM.png
Views:	198
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1153226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 10.09.35 AM.png
Views:	200
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1153234  
Transmaniacon and yanks1 like this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6057 of 6228 Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Montana
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Man, Viper, you have an intimidating front stage!
Intimidating is right! I love Viper's setup. I work with a lot of high end homes around here where people have spent ungodly amounts of money on their A/V, yet I'd take Viper's basement over 99% of the high end, beautifully finished "home theaters" in those places. Absolutely epic.

BTW, how's your house holding up, Viper? Foundation's still intact?
Montucky is offline  
post #6058 of 6228 Old 01-01-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
^ Just a few Acoustic Panels to really maximize his speaker's potential and I think he is set! Really has a nice "bassment" feel to it

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #6059 of 6228 Old 01-01-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 4,546
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
All IMHO...best movie I have heard for LFE only:
Godzilla, 2014...but man, not a great movie. IF I want a crappy-acted movie, I could watch Zombie movies, which often have great soundtracks.
Best movies that are actually good movies for LFE:
EoT, Oblivion, Battle for LA, Fury, Intrastellar
Best surround content movies:
2012, Avatar, Lone Survivor


Man, Viper, you have an intimidating front stage!
Very good list (2012 and Battle for LA) I rented (one-time view for me). San Andreas is a bass heavy movie, but again, a one-time view for me. I just couldn't get into Mad Max (took me several days to watch it, but it does have very good LFE content). Really enjoyed EoT, Oblivion, Fury, Interstellar, Avatar and Lone Survivor. Lucy is better than I thought it would be and it is a short movie (around 80 minutes). Loved the song track when the final credits rolled by. Another nice surprise for me was 3 Days to Kill.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #6060 of 6228 Old 01-01-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Very good list (2012 and Battle for LA) I rented (one-time view for me). San Andreas is a bass heavy movie, but again, a one-time view for me. I just couldn't get into Mad Max (took me several days to watch it, but it does have very good LFE content). Really enjoyed EoT, Oblivion, Fury, Interstellar, Avatar and Lone Survivor. Lucy is better than I thought it would be and it is a short movie (around 80 minutes). Loved the song track when the final credits rolled by. Another nice surprise for me was 3 Days to Kill.
That song is by Damon Albarn. Song title is Sister Rust. I purchased it right after I watched Lucy. The bassline is featured throughout the movie which I ran pretty hot

This song does a pretty great job at covering lot's of areas to test speakers and some sub.

dsrussell likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off