**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 548Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6211 of 6228 Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
I have polk monitor 70's but am looking to change things out and I like the looks of the emp tek impression Fluance and SVS Prime series. Right now, I need to get rear surrounds because the new set up, I can't use the Polk monitor 60's as surrounds because there is no place to put them. I've uploaded some pics of how my set up is currently. The open spot in the entertainment will be totally filled up with a Samsung 65JS8500. I also currently have a SVS sub and my receiver is a Denon AVR-1913.Any recommendations even if it isn't what I have listed would be a great help and much appreciated. As you can see in the pics... I don't have corners in the front, seeing how I have hallways on both sides, and I was thinking about possibly putting the R55Wi Surround On-wall Speaker in use because of the way things are set up, just concerned about having to mount them high on the wall so they aren't bumped into when someone walks down the hallway.
Try the risk free from different brands you like and see if you enjoy it more than the polks. Focus on front 3 speakers first and you can worry about rears later. You have a budget? So why don't you like your polks anymore? This will help provide suggestions.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6212 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Schaghticoke, NY
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Try the risk free from different brands you like and see if you enjoy it more than the polks. Focus on front 3 speakers first and you can worry about rears later. You have a budget? So why don't you like your polks anymore? This will help provide suggestions.
Was just looking for something new pretty much. The fact that I can't use the 60's as rears and surrounds was the initial reason for even entertaining the idea. We use the speakers 80/20 home theatre. If I had to define a budget, I'd say it is $1500 and with that I'd like to be able to get a full 5.0 system. At a later date I might upgrade the receiver and potentially add amps, but don't really know if I would even need any of them as the times that I would even listen to them at a loud level would be severely limited.
notacos4u is offline  
post #6213 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
Was just looking for something new pretty much. The fact that I can't use the 60's as rears and surrounds was the initial reason for even entertaining the idea. We use the speakers 80/20 home theatre. If I had to define a budget, I'd say it is $1500 and with that I'd like to be able to get a full 5.0 system. At a later date I might upgrade the receiver and potentially add amps, but don't really know if I would even need any of them as the times that I would even listen to them at a loud level would be severely limited.
Have you considered any upgrade to the subs?

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6214 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Schaghticoke, NY
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Have you considered any upgrade to the subs?
I have a SVS Sub, so I am pretty sure I am covered in that department. Unless I go with 2 subs, but as of right now, I NEED surrounds, and am debating on whether or not I am going to upgrade the mains and center. I was thinking of the EMP on wall surrounds, and really like the look of them and that was one of the reasons I was thinking of upgrading the fronts, because I'm concerned that they won't have the 55's later on. I won't have my new television till either just before superbowl or right after, awaiting the delivery of it. Once it gets here and I hook everything up, I'll have a better idea how the fronts will perform in our new room, but still won't have the surrounds to get a true and reflective idea of how everything will come together.
notacos4u is offline  
post #6215 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
I have a SVS Sub, so I am pretty sure I am covered in that department. Unless I go with 2 subs, but as of right now, I NEED surrounds, and am debating on whether or not I am going to upgrade the mains and center. I was thinking of the EMP on wall surrounds, and really like the look of them and that was one of the reasons I was thinking of upgrading the fronts, because I'm concerned that they won't have the 55's later on. I won't have my new television till either just before superbowl or right after, awaiting the delivery of it. Once it gets here and I hook everything up, I'll have a better idea how the fronts will perform in our new room, but still won't have the surrounds to get a true and reflective idea of how everything will come together.
If you want the EMP surrounds, now is the time to get them.
http://emptek.com/bs7661212368RR.php

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6216 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
Was just looking for something new pretty much. The fact that I can't use the 60's as rears and surrounds was the initial reason for even entertaining the idea. We use the speakers 80/20 home theatre. If I had to define a budget, I'd say it is $1500 and with that I'd like to be able to get a full 5.0 system. At a later date I might upgrade the receiver and potentially add amps, but don't really know if I would even need any of them as the times that I would even listen to them at a loud level would be severely limited.
Don't focus too much about surrounds right now. They do not need to match the fronts at all and you do not need to spend a lot on surrounds. If you are not happy with the polks sound signature then you can start auditioning other brands to find the sound and then we will help you with surrounds later. If you are into movies which you say, you should definitely get a sub first in my opinion. You may then think you like the setup and do not need to buy new speakers except for surrounds. First buy a sub and see if you like your 3.1 setup and then make a decision after that.

No need to get amps right now. First the sub so you can enjoy the movies more.....then upgrade front 3 if you want different sound (assuming you have tried speaker placement, level matching, etc to get the best out of your polks)....then add surrounds last since its only about 15% of the movie content. Then if you feel you need more power or newer format and features then you can upgrade your AVR or amp/preamp last.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
post #6217 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sorry, didn't see you had SVS sub already. If you do decide to upgrade front 3 speakers you could use your rears as surrounds. haha But if you really want surrounds now you can get bipole/dipole if you put them on the sides of wall. Emp tek has a sale and fluance has bipole surrounds even cheaper at $120 pair.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
post #6218 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Schaghticoke, NY
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Don't focus too much about surrounds right now. They do not need to match the fronts at all and you do not need to spend a lot on surrounds. If you are not happy with the polks sound signature then you can start auditioning other brands to find the sound and then we will help you with surrounds later. If you are into movies which you say, you should definitely get a sub first in my opinion. You may then think you like the setup and do not need to buy new speakers except for surrounds. First buy a sub and see if you like your 3.1 setup and then make a decision after that.

No need to get amps right now. First the sub so you can enjoy the movies more.....then upgrade front 3 if you want different sound (assuming you have tried speaker placement, level matching, etc to get the best out of your polks)....then add surrounds last since its only about 15% of the movie content. Then if you feel you need more power or newer format and features then you can upgrade your AVR or amp/preamp last.
I have a SVS sub right now, so I believe I'm set on that end. I am going to be limited in regards to speaker placement due to the fact, I have a hallway going down both sides of where my TV will be going. If you look in an earlier post, I put up some pictures of how my set up will be situated. I guess I'm kind of putting the cart before the horse seeing how I don't have the TV in place yet to even see if I like how movies will sound. Because of the open multi use layout of where everything is, I'm not even too sure how I'd be able to move the sub to a different location because draping cables over the floor I don't think the wife would allow. although, I could run it through the ceiling and down the wall, but I'm limited on placement there as well as only one wall I could put it against
notacos4u is offline  
post #6219 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Are you saying you don't know how your current polks and svs sub combo sounds like for movies yet til you get your tv installed?

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
post #6220 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Member
 
todd7764's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
Was just looking for something new pretty much. The fact that I can't use the 60's as rears and surrounds was the initial reason for even entertaining the idea. We use the speakers 80/20 home theatre. If I had to define a budget, I'd say it is $1500 and with that I'd like to be able to get a full 5.0 system. At a later date I might upgrade the receiver and potentially add amps, but don't really know if I would even need any of them as the times that I would even listen to them at a loud level would be severely limited.
LOL I'm in the same boat as you.... I just started a thread Speaker advice

I'm strongly looking at the Impression series for a 5.0 setup. Also considering Chane and Klipsch. Can't decide....
todd7764 is online now  
post #6221 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 02:13 PM
Member
 
todd7764's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
By the way, Emptek fans, which are better for surround duty: R55wi or R55bi? Talking on-wall placement, on stands, bookending a sofa section.
todd7764 is online now  
post #6222 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 4,546
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd7764 View Post
By the way, Emptek fans, which are better for surround duty: R55wi or R55bi? Talking on-wall placement, on stands, bookending a sofa section.
It would be good to know the size/volume of your room (width, length, height) and if it is open to other rooms. It would also be nice to know how far away from the main listening position your speakers are. How loudly do you play movies/music? Reference or below?

The R55Ti will have a totally different sound signature from the Klipsch and I’m not sure you are prepared for that. You can find my impressions on the R55Ti here: http://www.amazon.com/RBH-Sound-R55T...ords=rbh+tower Like any review, it’s one man’s opinion only.

Yes, I know this is an EMP Tek thread, but Chane is another good option (I haven’t auditioned them), but shipping charges can get pretty steep (especially if you need to return them). SVS Primes is another good solution and shipping is free both ways with a 45 day trial period. I’d also advise you to go out and listen to as many speakers as you can. As far as Fluance Signature towers, they appear to have a sound closer to the Klipsch from what I have been able to deduce from those user reviews.

As far as surrounds, pffft. They produce 5% to 15% of the audio signal, so unless you have a lot of 5.1 concert videos I wouldn’t spend that much on surrounds. I think my R5Bi’s are way too good for surround effects usage. I am thinking of replacing them with smaller, cheaper speakers and place my R5Bi’s in another room where they can shine. The R55Wi is basically two R5Bi’s tied into one case. It also depends upon how wide your listening position is to whether bi-poles would be effective for you.
yanks1 likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is online now  
post #6223 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Schaghticoke, NY
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Are you saying you don't know how your current polks and svs sub combo sounds like for movies yet til you get your tv installed?
We just moved into our new place, and the previous TV got damaged in the move, so I have not had a chance to totally try out the current set up in it's current locations. kind of hard to play and listen to a movie when there's no picture. Main reason I was even looking into new speakers is due to no longer being able to use the Polk monitor 60's for anything in the home theatre because I have no place to put them. More I think about it, it appears I just need to purchase some surrounds/rears that can be mounted upon the walls and see how I like it when I have everything set up. I guess the sale they are having is one of the reasons I was trying to move on the possibility of buying them. Any suggestions for surrounds to get to mount on the walls? I will have to mount them higher up (8' ceilings) and angle them as like I previously stated, there are hallways/ walkways on either side of the sitting area.

I greatly appreciate everyone's assistance and guidance with my questions. Thanks
notacos4u is offline  
post #6224 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
We just moved into our new place, and the previous TV got damaged in the move, so I have not had a chance to totally try out the current set up in it's current locations. kind of hard to play and listen to a movie when there's no picture. Main reason I was even looking into new speakers is due to no longer being able to use the Polk monitor 60's for anything in the home theatre because I have no place to put them. More I think about it, it appears I just need to purchase some surrounds/rears that can be mounted upon the walls and see how I like it when I have everything set up. I guess the sale they are having is one of the reasons I was trying to move on the possibility of buying them. Any suggestions for surrounds to get to mount on the walls? I will have to mount them higher up (8' ceilings) and angle them as like I previously stated, there are hallways/ walkways on either side of the sitting area.

I greatly appreciate everyone's assistance and guidance with my questions. Thanks
While you are waiting on your new tv you can still play music/cds and see how it sounds compared to old room. I've had my speakers in 7 different locations and they all sounded little different in each room. You may find that you like the polk in this new room over the previous room and not need to upgrade except for bipole surrounds. Once you get your tv, play movies and see how the 3.1 sounds (don't forget to calibrate each speaker levels since it won't be same as old room). Then figure out what you don't like about the setup and we will help you guide from there.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
post #6225 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
One other thing from looking at your pictures if I can make a suggestion is to have your center speaker angled down since its way up too high. If it was me I would get small speaker stand and have it in front of the subwoofer (or thats what I'm assuming that is under the tv stand?) and have it angled up towards the listening position. Getting the center speaker in optimum position will be bigger improvement than surrounds in my opinion.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
post #6226 of 6228 Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Schaghticoke, NY
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
One other thing from looking at your pictures if I can make a suggestion is to have your center speaker angled down since its way up too high. If it was me I would get small speaker stand and have it in front of the subwoofer (or thats what I'm assuming that is under the tv stand?) and have it angled up towards the listening position. Getting the center speaker in optimum position will be bigger improvement than surrounds in my opinion.
You are correct ereed, that's the Sub, I too was worried about the center being that high up, although it is angled down, I know hard to tell. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place because the bridge on top of the entertainment center will be getting adjusted to fit in between the 2 pillars and the TV will take up the entire space, minus maybe 3" where the TV will be raised by the base. Any ideas on a stand to hold the center without blocking the TV. Once again, thank you for all your guidance.
notacos4u is offline  
post #6227 of 6228 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
You are correct ereed, that's the Sub, I too was worried about the center being that high up, although it is angled down, I know hard to tell. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place because the bridge on top of the entertainment center will be getting adjusted to fit in between the 2 pillars and the TV will take up the entire space, minus maybe 3" where the TV will be raised by the base. Any ideas on a stand to hold the center without blocking the TV. Once again, thank you for all your guidance.
I purchased two of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_8&sr=8-8). I used one some time last year, and another for a family member. I used mine to lift my TV up so I could place the center channel inside the shelf.

Amazon should have these in-stock soon. They also have a smaller version as well, so not sure your needs.
ereed likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/Motion 15 (center)/HTD Level 2 (surrounds)
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey

Last edited by bgtighe23; Yesterday at 09:50 AM.
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6228 of 6228 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You can do what bgtighe23 suggested and here is another one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rd_i=desktopor Its just to raise your tv so that the bottom of tv is higher than the center speaker. The center channel speaker stand I'm talking about will go on the floor in front of the sub and its 18 inches tall. http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-...+speaker+stand

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
ereed is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off