**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 964Likes

Old 03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD983 View Post
I've had my EMP Tek / RBH 5.1 setup for about 6 months now. I went with the R55Ti towers, R5Bi rears and the smaller R5Ci Center. Everything is crossed over at 80Hz. subs are 2x ML Dynamo 300

Head end is a Yahama Rx-V577 and a Yamaha BD-S677BL Blu-Ray/ SACD player.

Overall I am pretty happy with the setup. I think the e55ti's sounded pretty flat before I ran YPAO on the receiver. This seemed to boost the midbass a little and I believe boosted the highs some.

I do wish the speakers played a little lower, however my biggest issue is kind of a upper midrange glare. I don't really know how else to describe it.

All types of vocals and guitars sound awesome. The are very clear and forward - I think Pink Floyd WYWH on SACD is my favorite so far.

In contrast, moving over to DSOTM I feel like all of the horns and brass sound very harsh- way out front and kind of unpleasant to the ears - I find myself wanting to turn it down.

I don't believe its a matter of brightness, it's more of a hot sound. I would compare it to glare when describing lighting conditions.

Any suggestions on things I could try? I've heard before that these speakers can be a little mid-range hot.

I like what YPAO has done, however it doesn't show you what has been changed as far the EQ settings. I'd like to be able to go in and play around a little bit with the PEQ settings but that's not an option.
Do you have any treatments on your walls? The tweeter used in the impression series isn't my favorite, and it sounds like you are hearing very reflective sound.
Have you tried running in Pure Direct mode? Does it sound better or worse? YPAO is possibly rolling off the high frequencies to try to compensate for reflections. The room is just as important as the speakers that are in them and giving room details is important as dsrussell said.

If you have a leather LP, put a thick blanket over the back of it and cover the floor between the LP and the center with a thick rug (if it is hardwood or tile).
ereed likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD983 View Post
I've had my EMP Tek / RBH 5.1 setup for about 6 months now. I went with the R55Ti towers, R5Bi rears and the smaller R5Ci Center. Everything is crossed over at 80Hz. subs are 2x ML Dynamo 300

Head end is a Yahama Rx-V577 and a Yamaha BD-S677BL Blu-Ray/ SACD player.

Overall I am pretty happy with the setup. I think the e55ti's sounded pretty flat before I ran YPAO on the receiver. This seemed to boost the midbass a little and I believe boosted the highs some.

I do wish the speakers played a little lower, however my biggest issue is kind of a upper midrange glare. I don't really know how else to describe it.

All types of vocals and guitars sound awesome. The are very clear and forward - I think Pink Floyd WYWH on SACD is my favorite so far.

In contrast, moving over to DSOTM I feel like all of the horns and brass sound very harsh- way out front and kind of unpleasant to the ears - I find myself wanting to turn it down.

I don't believe its a matter of brightness, it's more of a hot sound. I would compare it to glare when describing lighting conditions.

Any suggestions on things I could try? I've heard before that these speakers can be a little mid-range hot.

I like what YPAO has done, however it doesn't show you what has been changed as far the EQ settings. I'd like to be able to go in and play around a little bit with the PEQ settings but that's not an option.
I agree with what has been suggested by Ds and BG...my impressions.
The EMP are not a tweeter "hot" speaker, in fact, that is one complaint about them...you have to boast the high end. And I think the midrange driver in the EMP is EXCELLENT and perhaps the speaker's strength! I agree the low isn't as good as other more expensive speakers!
SO as suggested, perhaps you have some reflections/room effects. We all have them and have to deal with/live with them in some ways. Acoustic panels at reflection points can help a lot- I know, I have a couple points that need room treatments wicked-bad!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Boy EMP sales must not be going through the roof...every so often, I take a peak at the clearance items and they have had a couple items for months!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub

Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Boy EMP sales must not be going through the roof...every so often, I take a peak at the clearance items and they have had a couple items for months!
or word is getting out about the new line

One thing (of many) I love about SVS is that they offer a warranty on their B-Stock, but also take pictures and add a description of what is the issue with the speaker. Emp just lists everything as Scratch and Dent even if the speaker has no scratches nor dents

SVS also offers steeper or lesser discounts on products depending on the issue. Larger blemish or scratch gets a steeper discount.

Last edited by bgtighe23; 03-31-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 66
If you’re going to be an ID company, I would think your website would be laid out better. It’s actually one of the reasons I chose not to go with EMP for my speaker purchase. And I agree about their B-stock items…take pictures, give a description, etc. I know I can call and ask, but I’d rather not have to do that.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
If you’re going to be an ID company, I would think your website would be laid out better. It’s actually one of the reasons I chose not to go with EMP for my speaker purchase. And I agree about their B-stock items…take pictures, give a description, etc. I know I can call and ask, but I’d rather not have to do that.
Aside from SVS, there really aren't many well-done websites in the audio world. Most are fairly basic, in this industry it's all about verbal communication. These small companies will happily pick up the phone and chat for a while about their products, your needs, and how to best match the two.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Frankly, I’ve never heard of EMP Tek when I was looking for inexpensive bookshelf speakers for an HT setup. I just happened to come across Andrew Robinson’s review and put the speaker on my shortlist. I had several on that list that were far more interesting to explore. EMP Tek doesn’t do much of anything in the realm of advertising, and if it weren’t for audio websites such as this, EMP Tek may have closed their doors, even with RBH backing them. Add the fact that most people aren’t expecting great sound for that price and size (I certainly didn’t), and it’s no wonder that most people prefer more named I.D. brands like SVS, Hsu, Aperion, Andrew Jones this and Andrew Jones that.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I agree with those comments...as good as speakers as they are, you wish they would at least try a little bit at trying to get the name out there! I see Gorilla web site adds for SVS, CHane, Elac, HSU and HTD all the time.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well in that regard, I suppose SVS isn’t really strictly ID anymore, as my local Magnolia store carries them. Crutchfield stocks them as well, or at least their subwoofers last I checked.

I don’t know, I think SVS, HTD, HSU, Chane, PSA, Reaction, Rythmik, and probably some others I’m forgetting all have decent websites. EMP and Ascend are really the only two I can think of off the top of my head that remind me of webpages from 1995. Outlaw is not far from that, but their sub being down-firing and down-ported was what I wanted, so I did order from them.

I’ll admit I had not heard of any of the above companies until visiting this site. I think I originally stumbled upon some HTD speakers for sale on craigslist years ago, and had to look them up, which directed me here for reviews. That’s where it all started. Back then it was BIC Acoustech, Premier Acoustic, HTD, and HSU as being recommended more than anything else. Now I rarely see recommendations for those same companies. This website is great even though it is somewhat “flavor of the week” with ID brands sometimes.

IMO, if I were EMP, I would be flashing that red burl finish in some high res pics on the home page.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Even when EMP was a seperate company, they were always heavily tied to RBH. You get the distinct impression that EMP is not a high priority for RBH...I assume the mark up is so high on RBH products and maybe having part of a company that "isn't profit generating" isn't always a bad thing for a corporation.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even when EMP was a seperate company, they were always heavily tied to RBH. You get the distinct impression that EMP is not a high priority for RBH...I assume the mark up is so high on RBH products and maybe having part of a company that "isn't profit generating" isn't always a bad thing for a corporation.
It seems like EMP sells out every year when they have their big sale, so that has to be good for the company. And they just released two new subs, and are currently working on a second generation Impression series.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 04-06-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting observation...switch from a Yamaha vx373 to a Marantz NR1504 with Audessey room correction. Hooked up the new receiver, ran room correction at 3 positions and put in EoT...and the open scene nearly blasted my house off the foundation, and definately bottomed out both subwoofers. Gain on both sub set at 40%...
So I went in and "toned down" the sub about 5 db, but still so loud (Audessey had them set at -8dB, i think). Even after the 5 db dress down, the opening scene still sound unhealthy for my subs at an overall volume that I can barely hear dialogue on. Of course, I will go in and dress down the subs again, but any thoughts as to why audessey set my sub volume so high compared to the other speakers?
Spring has hit Iowa, so I haven't been using my theater as much, but at least one other movie with some bass heavy scenes, I don't remember this issue!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Interesting observation...switch from a Yamaha vx373 to a Marantz NR1504 with Audessey room correction. Hooked up the new receiver, ran room correction at 3 positions and put in EoT...and the open scene nearly blasted my house off the foundation, and definately bottomed out both subwoofers. Gain on both sub set at 40%...
So I went in and "toned down" the sub about 5 db, but still so loud (Audessey had them set at -8dB, i think). Even after the 5 db dress down, the opening scene still sound unhealthy for my subs at an overall volume that I can barely hear dialogue on. Of course, I will go in and dress down the subs again, but any thoughts as to why audessey set my sub volume so high compared to the other speakers?
Spring has hit Iowa, so I haven't been using my theater as much, but at least one other movie with some bass heavy scenes, I don't remember this issue!
Ouch.

An Audyssey trim level setting of -8 should be more than fine. People use anywhere from -3 to -9 normally, depending upon how hot they want to run their sub. If you haven’t turned off Dynamic EQ that could pose a problem on scenes like the 10 Hz signal on Edge of Tomorrow. But that frequency causes most people problems. It’s probably sent a few subs to the repair shop (or landfill). I know I watch the driver of my sub going crazy on that early scene.

Sometimes it depends upon how you are performing the Audyssey tests. If you don’t have a tripod, get one and place the mic on that. Also make sure that you don’t spread the mic locations too far from each other (should be under 2 feet from the last mic position) and that you don’t go outside of the soundstage. And always check every setting from your AVR after you’ve completed the Audyssey setup.
Transmaniacon and Madmax67 like this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
So your new receiver is 3 years old? Maybe not the best version of Audyssey. My Denon x2100 is very subdued sub wise compared to my Yamaha 867 (in a good way). I have Emp all around with 2 1010i. Maybe it's having problems balancing the two subs?

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 04-06-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
That's a strange result, if anything Audyssey is very conservative with bass management. A lot of us are giving 4-6dB boosts to our Audyssey calibrated systems. I would drop sub volume way down and rerun. Move up in increments until the sub is measuring with a trim in the -8db ballpark. Once you get it there add the 5db back in on the reciever.

To save time I will typically run Audyssey is a single position until I get all the numbers to a place where I want them. Once I get all the settings looking good I run Audyssey in all positions.

Out of curiosity are your speakers distances looking correct? The sub will have the wrong distance from the mic, but if your other speakers are giving bad distance measurements that may be the sign of something else going on.
Madmax67 likes this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Beyond the other suggestions about mic placement and Audyssey settings, I had a similar problem once and discovered that my Audyssey mic was bad. Denon sent me a new mic and everything was fixed.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

1. Yes, not a brand new Marantz, but it was new on clearance.
2. Always use a tripod with the mic
3. Distances calculated by Aud were correct, or close.
4. Use a new mic that came with the Marantz, is there a chance if could just be defective in hearing LFE?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As mentioned, turn off Dynamic EQ and see if that helps. I run my Ultra-X12 at about 25% with my trim level at -6dB. I have to turn down that scene some and it's still loud, but the sub doesn't have much trouble with it.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
4. Use a new mic that came with the Marantz, is there a chance if could just be defective in hearing LFE?
I'm not sure if the mic could be defective in such a way that it doesn't hear LFE properly. You could try taking measurements in a new position. Maybe it's in some sort of a null that it's trying to EQ for. Remember to take measurements in a small area, I think about 2' in any direction from the main listening position.

As others have said, turn off Dynamic EQ and see what difference that makes. I don't know about the Marantz, but on my Denon AVR-X4000 I can copy the Audyssey curve to the graphic EQ and then see what Audyssey is doing. That may give some insight into the situation as well.

This thread might be of help: My SVS PB1000 is chuffing bad!!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I accidentally used the wrong calibration mic with my receiver and got really strange results. Make sure that you have the correct mic, if it was clearance they may have chucked the wrong thing in with it...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will test it again tonight...and try a different mic...unfortunately, I have two mics, one from a Denon and one from the Marantz, that appear identical (both are using Audeussy) so I may have grabbed the wrong one...but by all criteria, it seems to set the distances for the speakers corrctly and seems to set them to a very appropriate level for that distance...and then you play the movie and your subwoofer starts tunnelling to China!
On a positive note, the Marantz seems to have better utilization, or send more signal to my surrounds that the Yamaha. Definately more impressive use of the surrounds in movies that I am very familiar with!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will test it again tonight...and try a different mic...unfortunately, I have two mics, one from a Denon and one from the Marantz, that appear identical (both are using Audeussy) so I may have grabbed the wrong one...but by all criteria, it seems to set the distances for the speakers corrctly and seems to set them to a very appropriate level for that distance...and then you play the movie and your subwoofer starts tunnelling to China!
On a positive note, the Marantz seems to have better utilization, or send more signal to my surrounds that the Yamaha. Definately more impressive use of the surrounds in movies that I am very familiar with!
That was the biggest difference I noticed too, more engaging surround effects going from YPAO to Audyssey. Perhaps a different mic will give you the proper results, but one would assume if it's the same version of Audyssey it wouldn't matter.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone hearing any updates on the new EMP Impression series speakers? I got the impression, while emailing with Brian Tracy, that they had some design set backs and we wouldn't see the new speaker in 2016, but others have gotten a more optimistic "impression" for the Impression series...

Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Anyone hearing any updates on the new EMP Impression series speakers? I got the impression, while emailing with Brian Tracy, that they had some design set backs and we wouldn't see the new speaker in 2016, but others have gotten a more optimistic "impression" for the Impression series...
I can't help with the Impression series, but I just ordered a pair of SV-6500 towers for my demo theater.

Last week I got in an I-12/e for a customer. That sub is seriously big, but the finish and curved cabinet really help it look high-end. I'm finishing the install next week so I haven't gotten a chance to hear it yet.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
I can't help with the Impression series, but I just ordered a pair of SV-6500 towers for my demo theater.

Last week I got in an I-12/e for a customer. That sub is seriously big, but the finish and curved cabinet really help it look high-end. I'm finishing the install next week so I haven't gotten a chance to hear it yet.
Let us know what you think of the sub when it's all hooked up!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

By the way, you guys were correct, dynamic EQ was the problem! I had shut that off, but somehow it defaulted to back "on". Hopefully no subwoofer damage as a result...

Old 04-11-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By the way, you guys were correct, dynamic EQ was the problem! I had shut that off, but somehow it defaulted to back "on". Hopefully no subwoofer damage as a result...
Glad you got things corrected!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Glad you got things corrected!
Yep, Junior mistake! I turned it off, but probably never hit enter. Just hoping I did NOT damage either sub, they really bottomed out wicked bad!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, Junior mistake! I turned it off, but probably never hit enter. Just hoping I did NOT damage either sub, they really bottomed out wicked bad!
It's probably okay assuming you cut it off when it happened.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TL;DR - I skimmed through your posts on the issue, but what was your master volume set at while watching this scene?

IIRC, you have ported subs. The intro to EoT is mostly consisted of frequencies below the tuning points of your subs. Most likely, they handled everything they were tuned to. The issues your subs had was playing everything below tune, sending your drivers' excursion through the roof. Exceeding xmax for a short time probably won't hurt your subs, but exceeding xmec will. If you can continue watching that movie, or listen or watch other content you are familiar with and the subs seem to perform like normal, then I would assume they are fine.

Think about what Dynamic EQ is designed to do, look at the roll-off of your subs low end, and then think of the low teen/single digit frequencies in that intro.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems