**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 721Likes

Old 06-08-2016, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Congrats on your new speakers! I am sure that sounds amazing and i like the setup as its similar to mine but went with the Rythmik LV12R subs. It was such a tough call between the LV12R and the PB2000 that you purchased. Side note, i am also a fan of the Muscle Milk and BSN Synth-6 protein on your counter

Send us the final setup once its complete. Would love to see it.

Happy listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaththeanswer89 View Post
Just got my speakers in yesterday and I am in love. I cannot believe the performance I am getting out of these. RBH is practically giving these away especially on the deals they give you for their B-stock. I picked up a full 5.0 black ash setup for around 1100. Just madness!

I spent last night setting everything up temporarily until our basement gets done and got to watch game of thrones. The speakers sounded great. They were clear, crisp, and clean. I listened to some music briefly and enjoyed every moment of it. I do need to take the time to configure it some more as I was not getting enough bass from my subs as i would like. However, I let my yamaha YPAO run just so we could listen to them sooner.

I have only had them a day but I am loving every minute of these. If anyone is on the edge about pulling the trigger you won't be disappointed. I am glad I did not spend 3x more on the klipsch reference setup I demo'd.

A/V: Onkyo TX-NR818 | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | RBH R55Ti | RBH R56Ci | Rythmik LV12R x 2 | Panasonic P55ST50 | Samsung BD-J7500
HTPC: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz | 16GB RAM | GeForce GTX 550Ti | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 850 EVO PRO 256GB SSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichalik87 View Post
Congrats on your new speakers! I am sure that sounds amazing and i like the setup as its similar to mine but went with the Rythmik LV12R subs. It was such a tough call between the LV12R and the PB2000 that you purchased. Side note, i am also a fan of the Muscle Milk and BSN Synth-6 protein on your counter

Send us the final setup once its complete. Would love to see it.

Happy listening!
Definitely! We are about 2-3 weeks out for the basement to be finished. I'll throw some new pictures in once I get everything set up.

Krogan's Home Theater/Basement Project
R55Ti Tower Speakers x2 | R5Bi Bookshelf Speakers x2 | R56Ci Center Channel Speaker | SVS PB-2000 x2 | RBH A607 x4 for atmos | Yamaha RX-A2050 | Sony VPL-45ES | Carada 126" BW Screen
Old 06-09-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaththeanswer89 View Post
Definitely! We are about 2-3 weeks out for the basement to be finished. I'll throw some new pictures in once I get everything set up.
If you haven't already, definitely look into some treatments for the room, they will make a significant difference in sound quality. Gik Acoustics has a ton of great information and helpful customer service.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 06-09-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
With a good subwoofer, the R5Bi’s will perform surprisingly well. I prefer them over the R55Ti towers for music, since they are more accurate, less warm and have a larger soundstage. Others may prefer the towers, and I agree they are a step up from the R5Bi’s for movies (but surprisingly, not a big difference, just enough where I thought the towers were worth getting). Since your room is soft and not bright, the towers may be too warm for you.

Again, I don’t have a clue of what sound floats your boat (other than you don't like too bright of a speaker), but the R5Bi’s are worthy of an audition. Their sound is clean and precise, plus the red burl finish is even more elegant (darker) than the photos show. Of course they need to be on stands and not on/in bookshelves.
What frequency do you cross your R5Bi's over at?

I just ordered a pair earlier this week... I can't wait to get them home and listen to them. I opted to go this route over something like an Aperion Verus Bookshelf, and plan to put the extra money I saved into a bigger/better sub than I would have been able to afford if I'd gone with something like the Aperion's...

I'm looking at getting something like maybe a Rythmik FV15HP, and I'm hoping to not have to cross over until 80 Hz... Until then, I'm going to be using a very meager Polk RM6750 sub (that comes with the 6750 htib system), but I do have an SVS PB-1000 in my upstairs system that I can walk down for a few hours at a time, just to play with my new toys .
Old 06-09-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

I just ordered a pair earlier this week... I can't wait to get them home and listen to them. I opted to go this route over something like an Aperion Verus Bookshelf, and plan to put the extra money I saved into a bigger/better sub than I would have been able to afford if I'd gone with something like the Aperion's...

I'm looking at getting something like maybe a Rythmik FV15HP, and I'm hoping to not have to cross over until 80 Hz... Until then, I'm going to be using a very meager Polk RM6750 sub (that comes with the 6750 htib system), but I do have an SVS PB-1000 in my upstairs system that I can walk down for a few hours at a time, just to play with my new toys .
See what your room correction comes back with, but I would say 80-100Hz is likely a good range for them.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2780
Quote:

What Transmaniacon said. Each room is different. Let your AVR set them up at first (make sure the software sets your speakers to “small”), then play around. I have (an had) mine crossed over at 80 Hz.

I know I had a few comments where people felt the R5Bi’s couldn’t complement a big, huge sub. If you’re looking for reference levels, they would be correct (unless you pour 150 watts or higher into them). If you’re looking at very loud levels, say just over 90 dB peaks for the speaker and 105 dB for the sub, then the R5Bi’s complement the sub just fine . I think Andrew Robinson had the R5Bi's (E5Bi's when he tested them) playing near 100 dB before hearing signs of stress.

That Rythmik model, from everything I’ve heard and read over the years, is one very nice sub. Sure don’t think you can go wrong.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What Transmaniacon said. Each room is different. Let your AVR set them up at first (make sure the software sets your speakers to “small”), then play around. I have (an had) mine crossed over at 80 Hz.

I know I had a few comments where people felt the R5Bi’s couldn’t complement a big, huge sub. If you’re looking for reference levels, they would be correct (unless you pour 150 watts or higher into them). If you’re looking at very loud levels, say just over 90 dB peaks for the speaker and 105 dB for the sub, then the R5Bi’s complement the sub just fine . I think Andrew Robinson had the R5Bi's (E5Bi's when he tested them) playing near 100 dB before hearing signs of stress.

That Rythmik model, from everything I’ve heard and read over the years, is one very nice sub. Sure don’t think you can go wrong.
For now, I don't have the amplification to take them to reference levels even if I wanted to (which I don't, at least not very often). I started the "HiFi speakers with budget AVRs" thread, FWIW. So that's not a problem for me, at least not today.

These will be an upgrade over what I currently have set up in the basement. I'm 100% sure of that. And at $225, there's not a lot at "risk" here, if I end up disagreeing with the many reviews and literature I read, and don't love them as much as others have indicated they do. At which point, a $225 "mistake" that allowed me to make a moderate upgrade for a year or two's worth of use is... well... far from the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

If I like everything about them, in terms of tone and color, but just wish they had a little more mid-bass, I'll look at maybe getting the matching towers and demoting these guys to Rear Surround duties... and if I just straight up LOVE them, and they're working well for me with an 80 Hz crossover into that Rythmik sub, then I'll just buy 3 or 5 more of them and fill out a full 5.2 or 7.2 system with them

That's the plan, at least...
Old 06-09-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For now, I don't have the amplification to take them to reference levels even if I wanted to (which I don't, at least not very often). I started the "HiFi speakers with budget AVRs" thread, FWIW. So that's not a problem for me, at least not today.

These will be an upgrade over what I currently have set up in the basement. I'm 100% sure of that. And at $225, there's not a lot at "risk" here, if I end up disagreeing with the many reviews and literature I read, and don't love them as much as others have indicated they do. At which point, a $225 "mistake" that allowed me to make a moderate upgrade for a year or two's worth of use is... well... far from the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

If I like everything about them, in terms of tone and color, but just wish they had a little more mid-bass, I'll look at maybe getting the matching towers and demoting these guys to Rear Surround duties... and if I just straight up LOVE them, and they're working well for me with an 80 Hz crossover into that Rythmik sub, then I'll just buy 3 or 5 more of them and fill out a full 5.2 or 7.2 system with them

That's the plan, at least...
And a smart plan it is!

No one can speak for how someone will like or not like a speaker's sound signature. But the more speakers I hear, even those that cost 4 to 6 times as much, the more I appreciate those R5Bi's .
psuKinger likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And a smart plan it is!

No one can speak for how someone will like or not like a speaker's sound signature. But the more speakers I hear, even those that cost 4 to 6 times as much, the more I appreciate those R5Bi's .
I don't want to veer to far off course in the EMP Tek owner's thread (although I AM now the proud owner of some EMP Tek's... so I feel like I belong here now hah), but I have a pair of Polk Monitor 70 Series II's up in my Living Room setup. I've always liked Polk (regardless of what that says about me), and never really cared for the harsher horn sound of a Klipsch. But I felt like I wanted to try something new, and everything I kept hearing about EMP Tek was that they hit well above their price point... and I figured I had two approaches, buy something like an Aperion Verus Grand now, and have to run them basically 2.0 (or risk muddying up the experience with that sh***y Polk RM6750 htib sub I own) until I could reload for another big purchase and get the kind of sub I knew I wanted.... and in doing so, NEVER GIVE SOMETHING LIKE AN EMP TEK A TRY....

OR

I could give EMP Tek a try, while simultaneously getting the sub I want... If I love them, then I'm an EMP Tek guy, and just saved a LOT of money by outfitting a 5.2/7.2 system with EMP Tek gear rather than Aperion/Ascend/SVS etc... and if I don't, like I said... $225 is a small price to pay for a little wisdom and experience. This is kind of a "hobby" for me. I like setting stuff up, running through the configurations, etc... bottom line is, this seems like a low-risk no-brainer win for me, and the only thing that could significantly impact my happiness with this purchase is if I have to cross these things over much higher than 80 Hz.

These will be replacing the Polk RM6750 satellites that came in the same box as that shoddy sub... so in that same room, using the same Pioneer AVR that my new R5Bi's are going to be hooked up to, those RM6750's are crossed over at something 120 Hz or 140 Hz (I can't remember which), per Pioneer's room calibration tool... now upstairs, in my Living Room, I crossed my Monitor 70 Series II's over into my SVS PB-1000 at 80 Hz after my Onkyo's Audessey system told me I could take them all the way down 40. As long as room calibration says the R5Bi's will handle 80, I'll be a happy camper. It's good to hear that you've had that kind of success with them in your room...
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

psuKinger: I ran Hz test tones (10 second tones at one Hz increments) in my room for the R5Bi’s using an SPL meter at my listening position. The R5Bi’s didn’t start dropping off until after 57 Hz, so it does perform to spec (60 Hz @ -3 dB). But speaker location (distance from the wall) plays a big part in this, as will the room. So I’m pretty confident that you won’t have any problems crossing them over at 80 Hz.

While I think you’ll be VERY happy with the R5Bi’s, there are simply no guarantees. Luckily, they won’t cost much to return should they not be what you’re looking for.

Since I purchased the R5Bi’s (E5Bi’s when I bought), I’ve found two bookshelf speakers that I liked better. They are the JBL 530’s and the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2’s. Yet, those inexpensive R5Bi’s stood their ground exceedingly well. That's why I mentioned that the more speakers I audition the more I respect the R5Bi's.

Do let us know your thoughts once you've hooked everything up and have tested them.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My R5Bi's came today! Got em hooked up ASAP, dropped the crossover to 80 Hz, queued up my favorite "Demo" playlist that I use to show off my upstairs system to friends and family, sat back, and quickly could not contain my smile. REAL nice. A definite upgrade over my old equipment down there... and it's way to early to know for sure, but I think there's a chance I might like them more than my upstairs equipment (which cost 2x as much), at least on the higher end...

Way to early to go into specifics about exactly what I like/dislike here... but I can say with certainty that my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive!

-tim
Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My R5Bi's came today! Got em hooked up ASAP, dropped the crossover to 80 Hz, queued up my favorite "Demo" playlist that I use to show off my upstairs system to friends and family, sat back, and quickly could not contain my smile. REAL nice. A definite upgrade over my old equipment down there... and it's way to early to know for sure, but I think there's a chance I might like them more than my upstairs equipment (which cost 2x as much), at least on the higher end...

Way to early to go into specifics about exactly what I like/dislike here... but I can say with certainty that my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive!

-tim
I'm very happy to hear this. I thought you'd like them. They simply are a very surprising speaker for the price. Enjoy, and once you've had some hours on your speakers/ears and integrated the sub, let us know what you think.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 70
While I'm waiting for the I-12 sub to come back in stock in was wondering if it could use an R5Bi as a center channel. Room is only 10'wide where it would be placed. And I'm 14' away. Looking to order the L/R speakers this week.

If the I-12 isn't in by end of month I'm going with the svs pb1000.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

**Official EMP Owner's Thread**

I highly recommend the new 007 Spectre movie, the sound is incredible and it has some impressive bass (you are warned).

I also have a new Surround demo scene with the helicopter in the beginning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
While I'm waiting for the I-12 sub to come back in stock in was wondering if it could use an R5Bi as a center channel. Room is only 10'wide where it would be placed. And I'm 14' away. Looking to order the L/R speakers this week.

I have a 3,400 cu. ft. room, although I only sit around 9 feet from the speakers. I used an all R5Bi front stage (turned a 3rd R5Bi on its side). It works great, so no worries there. Obviously, being an extra 6 feet away will drop the SPL a few dB, but they should remain pretty loud. But that's part of the testing process.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I highly recommend the new 007 Spectre movie, the sound is incredible and it has some impressive bass (you are warned).

I also have a new Surround demo scene with the helicopter in the beginning!

During the opening scene with the helicopter (or was this the most recent Mission Impossible? I can't remember), there was a huge explosion that was pretty un-expecting. I barley reached clipping levels on my UM-18s which isn't an issue, but the room felt like it also exploded. Great scene.

Quote:
I have a 3,400 cu. ft. room, although I only sit around 9 feet from the speakers. I used an all R5Bi front stage (turned a 3rd R5Bi on its side). It works great, so no worries there. Obviously, being an extra 6 feet away will drop the SPL a few dB, but they should remain pretty loud. But that's part of the testing process.
How loudly do you listen (master volume) on average?

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 06-12-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
During the opening scene with the helicopter (or was this the most recent Mission Impossible? I can't remember), there was a huge explosion that was pretty un-expecting. I barley reached clipping levels on my UM-18s which isn't an issue, but the room felt like it also exploded. Great scene.
The
Spoiler!

Old 06-12-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
How loudly do you listen (master volume) on average?
For music videos, -15. For movies, -12. I have played movies up to -10 on a few occasions, and once -7 when my son wanted me to push it. Not a comfortable volume for me.
yanks1 likes this.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Haha, I had the exact same question earlier and dsrussell convinced me to use R5Bi on its side as the center. I just set up my LCR yesterday using R5Bi only. I didn't do much listening, but from the few youtube video I heard, they sound very good. The center blends in seamlessly with the front L and R. I put it on the TV stand underneath the TV. The side of R5Bi curves in, so when sits on its side, it will tilt up slightly towards my listening position. The EMP web site will show the single R5Bi "out of stock". It is simply the web site issue, and you could contact Brian at brian@rbhsound.com to buy in odd numbers.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered the 3. Easy company(Brian) to deal with. Quick response to emails. I will run them vs my monitor audio for a week for comparison. Maybe it can give me an idea of what to expect from their towers . BTW, I'll be running the center vertical like the L/R.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I ordered the 3. Easy company(Brian) to deal with. Quick response to emails. I will run them vs my monitor audio for a week for comparison. Maybe it can give me an idea of what to expect from their towers . BTW, I'll be running the center vertical like the L/R.
I read somewhere on the forum that many are impressed with the bookshelf but are not wowed by the towers probably due to high expectation. If you have space for vertical center placement, that would be better. I would have done the same if it fits my TV stand, but at 13" tall, I have no other choices.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

In my opinion the bigger center is a better match for the towers. The R5Bi as a center works well, assuming you are matching them with bookshelf fronts.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have the option to sell my New monitor audio bronze 2 bookshelf speakers plus target stands for virtually the same cost as the r55ti towers.

Will I be disappointed the the bottom end. I don't want less than what I have. I really enjoy the MA but this hobby can make you stupid.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 06-14-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have the option to sell my New monitor audio bronze 2 bookshelf speakers plus target stands for virtually the same cost as the r55ti towers.

Will I be disappointed the the bottom end. I don't want less than what I have. I really enjoy the MA but this hobby can make you stupid.
Perhaps the point @acefr made came from me (or one of my reviews on Amazon). Perhaps not. Actually, I think the towers are VERY good, especially when you integrate a subwoofer. I judge each speaker in 2.0 mode for music first and foremost, and I’m very particular in my evaluation (my reference speakers are Magnepan, and I feel not many speakers can compete with those, up to and including those in the $15k to $20k range). The R55Ti has what I consider a bit of a “soft” low end on occasion, but only on certain music that I play, but if you are integrating a sub, you’ll have no problem. I just prefer the bookshelf speakers for music (others will prefer the towers), but again, one needs to integrate a subwoofer. The towers have a powerful upper bass and lower midrange, which works well for both movies and music, but especially for movies. The towers are a bit on the warm side, the bookshelf speakers a bit on the pristine or clinical side, so their lies my preference. My opinions are based upon my setup and room ONLY. As always, YMMV depending upon room, setup and preference.

I haven’t heard the Monitor Bronze 2, so I would not have any idea how they would compare. Check with Brian at EMP Tek on return shipping should they not provide you with what you seek. However, I did audition the Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers with ribbons, and if I compared them to the R55Ti's, then the Ascends are indeed a better speaker (at 4 times the cost, that should come as no surprise). Obviously they will have a better high end, are a bit more accurate (not quite as warm), have a solid deep end (both will reach 40 Hz), and the Ascends put out a very nice soundstage. However, the R55Ti's beat them in upper bass and lower midrange. The more speakers I hear, the more I know I made a wise choice as far as performance vs. price. Plus, I use the EMP Tek speakers for movies.
psuKinger, acefr and rysher like this.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

The towers would be 2 channel audio only, same as the MA are now. Subwoofer is not an option. I would not ship anything back due to PITA factor living in Canada. Guess I'll wait for the bookshelves to arrive and compare those two.

Would you think that's a fair comparison for the towers performance.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The towers would be 2 channel audio only, same as the MA are now. Subwoofer is not an option. I would not ship anything back due to PITA factor living in Canada. Guess I'll wait for the bookshelves to arrive and compare those two.

Would you think that's a fair comparison for the towers performance.
Ahhh, Canada. I really feel for you guys .

If you’re talking about the R5Bi’s, they only reach down to around 60 Hz (57 Hz in my room before dropping off), so I’d look for another speaker. Almost all bookshelf speakers and most towers will benefit from a sub. It’s too bad you can’t implement one, even a small, inexpensive one. Perhaps the JBL 530 or the Ascend Acoustic Sierra and Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers would be more right for you, as they do reach under 50 Hz.

Fair comparison? You mean the Ascends and the EMP Tek? Sure, to the point that a 2-hour audition of the Ascend’s is fair (which it is NOT). But it’s just as fair as me comparing my Maggies (or any Maggies, even those that are less money) to the Ascend towers.
psuKinger likes this.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you’re talking about the R5Bi’s, they only reach down to around 60 Hz (57 Hz in my room before dropping off), so I’d look for another speaker. Almost all bookshelf speakers and most towers will benefit from a sub. It’s too bad you can’t implement one, even a small, inexpensive one. Perhaps the JBL 530 or the Ascend Acoustic Sierra and Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers would be more right for you, as they do reach under 50 Hz.
My own personal (and significantly smaller) experiences with HiFi audio (and specifically EMP Tek brand) mimic dsrussell's...

My Polk Monitor 70 Series II floorstanders are 42" tall, and have four 6.5" powered drivers (with a low-pass filter on the bottom two to focus solely on bass), and when audyssey runs, it determines that they are "full range" and I believe tried to set my crossover up to be at 40 Hz. Comparing their performance in 2.0 channel, bass performance is SIGNIFICANTLY improved by crossing over into my SVS PB-1000 at 80 Hz.

None of this gear is anything close to "top of the line"... but just to speak to my own personal experiences with floorstanding towers, they may not *need* a subwoofer as badly as bookshelves do, but they will still benefit from it, and in my opinion, the improvement is not insignificant.

Also, I just recently became the proud owner of a pair of R5Bi's, and for the time being, they happen to be paired with a VERY low-budget Polk htib 8" "subwoofer". At least at low volumes, the R5Bi's benefit substantially by that 8" woofer. Now, as I turn the volume up louder and louder and louder, the R5Bi's quickly start to shout down this low-budget low-end subwoofer I currently have them mated with...

Anyway, just wanted to share my own experiences on:
- Tower speakers benefiting from a proper subwoofer
- R5Bi's benefiting from even a small budget sub.

Hope this helps.
dsrussell likes this.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like I'll pass for now then. I really wanted towers but these MA bookshelf speakers are great.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like I'll pass for now then. I really wanted towers but these MA bookshelf speakers are great.
I think that is the wise decision, considering needless shipping charges to Canada. After all, you do like the speakers you have. Can't talk you into getting a small sub to enhance your current speakers, could I?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Nice clean bass to 50hz, below that you will not really "experience" the bass at the same level above 50hz. You'll hear it probably down to 40hz, but it's dropping pretty fast after 50. However, the bass they do generate is tight, clean & enjoyable, just not room shaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems