**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #631 of 3353 Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there! I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to home theater systems but I truly enjoy piecing together a quality sound system without completely breaking the bank. So I'm contemplating upgrading my 5.1 home theater's Polk Audio speakers to some EMPs. I am getting ready to move and my new movie room is about 26X16. Along with upgrading my speakers, I'm hoping to get a projector with either a 106 or 120 inch motorized screen.

I currently have Polk Monitor 60s for my front mains, Polk Monitor 50s for my rears and a CS1 for my center being powered by a Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver. I also have an SVS PC12-NSD for my sub. I am tempted to upgrade to E55Tis for my front mains and a E56Ci for my center. I take it I would notice a substantial difference in the sound quality when comparing my current Polks to the EMPs I am considering? I just want to make sure that if I spend the money that I'm going to hear a considerable improvement between the sets of speakers. If I were to purchase the EMPs, would my SVS sub work well with those? Is my Pioneer VSX-1120 sufficient in pushing the EMPs?

With those questions asked, I am having trouble deciding on my surrounds. What are the general feelings on the E55WIs? Would those be better than my Polk Monitor 50s that I'm currently using as surrounds? I have been considering ceiling mounting my rear speakers. Is that an option with the E55WIs or are they strictly for wall mounting only? Would I be best with sticking with EMP for my surrounds or could I go a different route?

I have to appease my fiance so the better looking the surrounds the better. I decided I would rather fight the battle of having her accept the larger cabinets of the E55Tis and E56Ci and give in a little when it came to the surrounds. While the E55WIs aren't ugly, I don't know how well they would blend in if mounted from the ceiling. With that said, I'm not quite sure what other speakers would play well with the EMPs up front. I have looked into the Axiom QS8 v3 and ordering them in all white. I feel those might blend in better than the E55WIs but would they work well paired with the other EMPs. My main issue with that route is that I'll likely pay around $300 more for the white Axioms (with 2 $60 ceiling mounts) as I would with the E55Tis. The only other route I have looked in to is in-ceiling speakers. Are there some that would go well with the EMPs up front? The Speakercraft AIM8 was one I've run across but wasn't sure how well it would sound with the EMPs. What would you all recommend regarding the surrounds?

Does anyone know how often EMP has B-stock available in the E55Ti or the E56Ci? It appears that they currently don't have B-stock available in any of their models or finishes.

Any insight you all may have is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3353 Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have the EMPE5ti (the smaller tower) and the Polk M40s, so I feel qualified to answer your question...yes (and IMHO), the EMP speakers are an improvement over the Polk Monitors...especially in the midrange and highs. Very clear and detailed. I felt the Polks has decent bass output, and if the EMP towers have one "non strong point"...it would be at the low end. However, with a good sub, they handle things very well. I felt the EMP speakers were outstanding for HT audio, but just pretty good for music.
Sounds like they have B stock sales a couple time per year...so perhaps they shelf returned items and have a sale when the shelves get full?
Of course, you are talking about Polk m60s and the E55Tis, so maybe this analysis is irrelevant...but my guess is that you will really like the EMPS for HT and that it will be an upgrade- maybe not a hugh upgrade, but noticably better sound quality.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #633 of 3353 Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Great! Thanks for the input Eli. From everything I've read, it sounds like the EMPs are pretty good speakers for the price (especially the B-stock). My primary use will be for movie and tv watching but I am sure I will use them from time to time for listening to music. I'll have to see if I can wait a while longer and try to catch the towers on a B-Stock sale if I go with the EMPs. Do you have any opinion as far as the center channel and surrounds are concerned? If I went with the E55Tis would it be best to stick with EMPs for the center and surrounds?

If anyone else has some insight, please feel free to share.
post #634 of 3353 Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

As I said, the EMP speakers are a great looking speaker...I would think they would have as good a chance as any to pass the WAF filter...

I would guess you get what you pay for and both the Polk Monitors and the EMP are great speakers for the money. So the EMPs are a level more expensive, and a level better (again, IMHO). However, I will say if you are looking g for a huge improvement, well you may want an even more expensive model.

In terms of the Center and surround, I will defer as I have neither (and yes, my current set up the center does not match my L/R...so I too am looking for the EMP center to go on sale or B stock!

post #635 of 3353 Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked: 11
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson312 View Post

Great! Thanks for the input Eli. From everything I've read, it sounds like the EMPs are pretty good speakers for the price (especially the B-stock). My primary use will be for movie and tv watching but I am sure I will use them from time to time for listening to music. I'll have to see if I can wait a while longer and try to catch the towers on a B-Stock sale if I go with the EMPs. Do you have any opinion as far as the center channel and surrounds are concerned? If I went with the E55Tis would it be best to stick with EMPs for the center and surrounds?
If anyone else has some insight, please feel free to share.

Firstly.you should go with the E55TI's and the E56CI center....IMHO,matching surrounds is overkill...just get something to match your budget....I use acoustech surrounds....8ohm,98db effieciency....cheap,sorta like imitation Klipsch.I'm more of a 2ch music guy anyways.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for b-stock.After the last one,there's a waiting list and this would have to be depleted before they are posted on the website.....I bought the B-e55TI's and am on the wait list for the E56ci center.More promising is the 30% promotion from back in May...this is where you find a partner who wants to purchase any speaker,it doesn't have to be the same as your choice,and you both get the 30% discount with the proviso that you must both purchase on the same day.....When I'm ready to purchase the E56ci,I'm going to ask EMP if I can get the 30% promo and I will then post on this board looking for a partner....hope this helps....peter
post #636 of 3353 Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the information Eli and Krell. That's too bad about the B-stock E55Tis for I'd much rather pay $400 with some minor cosmetic imperfections as apposed to $800 for brand new ones. I noticed on EMP's website that they are not even taking names for B-stock right now. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if there is any way to get on a waiting list for B-stock items. Based on the information you all provided, I feel if I go with the E55Tis then I should likely stick with EMP for the center instead of going through the hassle of trying to find something to match. Its good to know that I should not feel tied down to the same brand when shopping for surrounds if I find something that may appeal more in the WAF factor. Thanks again for the informative posts. If there are others with opinions, please keep them coming.
post #637 of 3353 Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 PM

ALERT......30% off sale on EMP speakers from 6/30 to 7/31.......yippee....here comes my E56ci center[/SIZE]
post #638 of 3353 Old 06-30-2012, 08:40 PM

is there a comparable center to the E56ci for the same price ? (with above discoounsed sale of course)
post #639 of 3353 Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Liked: 12
redface.gif what a deal.

What receiver would run one of these systems easily?

Cheaper the better.
post #640 of 3353 Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the EMP speaker isn't the most sensitive speaker ever made...you will want a receiver with decent power. As long as it has decent power (~50 watts per channel or greater)...just get the receiver that has the features you want.

post #641 of 3353 Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Yep 'er gonna try them out, just got myself a 7.1 system .
post #642 of 3353 Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Liked: 12
I just missed the last 30% sale when these caught my attention. Been impatiently waiting to see if another one would come along. My 5.0 setup should be arriving on Friday. Yeeha!
post #643 of 3353 Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRELL44 View Post

smile.gif
Firstly.you should go with the E55TI's and the E56CI center....IMHO,matching surrounds is overkill...just get something to match your budget....I use acoustech surrounds....8ohm,98db effieciency....cheap,sorta like imitation Klipsch.I'm more of a 2ch music guy anyways.
I wouldn't hold out much hope for b-stock.After the last one,there's a waiting list and this would have to be depleted before they are posted on the website.....I bought the B-e55TI's and am on the wait list for the E56ci center.More promising is the 30% promotion from back in May...this is where you find a partner who wants to purchase any speaker,it doesn't have to be the same as your choice,and you both get the 30% discount with the proviso that you must both purchase on the same day.....When I'm ready to purchase the E56ci,I'm going to ask EMP if I can get the 30% promo and I will then post on this board looking for a partner....hope this helps....peter

I have two sets of the E55Ti's and E56ci center in my house. One of them has the matching E55wi surrounds and the other has some mirage omni sat speakers. The difference is astounding. You are just enveloped in sound. I am amazed every time I watch a movie.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #644 of 3353 Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
WOW! That sale really pisses me off. I just got my pair of E55Ti towers and the E56Ci center channel. And this sale comes along just outside of my 30-day return window. The real kicker is, before I ordered these at the very, very, very end of May, I asked the guy if he knew of any sales approaching. He said "no". Now, I know they can't just give out info like that always, but come on. You didn't know you were having a 4th of July sale a month ago? You just up and decide to do these things on a whim? I know, sh*t happens, but come on. With how great their customer service usually is, I'd think this is something they could have told me, especially since I inquired and asked about it before ordering. That's quite a lot of money I'd have saved. I know if they give out info like that, people would just wait and not order till the sale, but come on. Still, love the speakers, but had to vent. Such BS!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #645 of 3353 Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I would call them and see if they would offer a partial discount. Worst they can say is no.

post #646 of 3353 Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, in their defense...I would guess they hadn't decided exactly what the 4th of july sale was going to entail...but yes, I would call/email them and see if they can offer you something!

post #647 of 3353 Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I have two sets of the E55Ti's and E56ci center in my house. One of them has the matching E55wi surrounds and the other has some mirage omni sat speakers. The difference is astounding. You are just enveloped in sound. I am amazed every time I watch a movie.

Which do you recommend between the E55wi's and the Mirage Omni Sats for surrounds? I was thinking of getting a pair (or even two pairs) of Mirage Os3s to go with the E55Ti's and E56ci. Maybe I'll rethink that if you think the E55wi's are significantly better. My one concern is that I need to be able to ceiling mount my rear surrounds. Can the E55wi be ceiling mounted? I had also been considering getting a pair of Axiom QS8s for my surrounds. I am mainly trying to find a nice surround speaker option that can be ceiling mounted to go with the E55Ti's and E56ci up front. Thanks for any advice you may have.
post #648 of 3353 Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The E55wi's sound better and it is not even close.

They have two keyholes on the back for wall mounting. Not sure how you would mount them from the ceiling. I would call Emp Tek. They have very good customer support.

post #649 of 3353 Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I wanted to be mad that I missed out on the fourth of July deal, having just bought my speakers over a month ago. However, I contacted EMP and they were gracious enough to offer me a deal I could not refuse. Two ES1010i subwoofers for $162 each. I already have a pretty nice sub, but at that price, ah yeah, wasn't going to pass that up. I guess I'll just shake my house to it's foundation instead. Huge Kudos to EMP for their unbelievable customer service. I'm literally blown away by their willingness to make their customers happy!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #650 of 3353 Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM

wow i wish i got that deal for my e1010 sub.
post #651 of 3353 Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 PM

Hey guys, I'm very interested in the towers (either size since they're about the same price right now). I've read that they are very smooth, neutral, dynamic, and not fatiguing, which is exactly what I want. I've also read that they aren't quite as powerful in the low end as many others. But how would you say they are in midbass? That punch in the chest from a drum set? 60-120Hz region. I'll be using a subwoofer, so I'm not at all concerned about low end extension. I'm much more concerned with getting powerful midbass impact that I can feel. How do the EMPs do in this regard?

Will be in 12x15 room powered by a Denon AVR-1712.

Thanks!
post #652 of 3353 Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the smaller tower..very balanced and clear. Very good midrange, clear crisp highs, and with a subwoofer, you won't notice the average lows! These speakers are very good for music, but really dynamic in a HT set up!

post #653 of 3353 Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Well, im sitting here thinking bout pulling trigger....hitting send button to order emp 55Ti, Ci and WI's as im starting to fatgue on research and reviews for months now. Eyes strained and brain fryed . Sound like more of you guys are happy with em than not. Am concerned though as to their ability with music as that will be over 50% of use. Building 14x22 hometheater/media room but if they dont fill the need quess could use them upstairs in living room Thinking bout passing on the sub as it doesn't have extremely strong review for low end bass but with 30% off right ;now price seems pretty good. If its not enough for home theater surely they are much better that the onyko bookshelves using now in living room. Someone stop me on buying or slap me and tell me to do something besides sit here and do nothing. My problem is no where to audition any speakers except some B &W , energy and def tech at BB. Klipsph werent even hooked up to audiiton and havent;' heard set of them since 80/'s so guess any speaker upgrade at this point would be great. I'll be upgrading to high end receiver for HT but hope that decision is easier that speakers. Course return policy is better that most just hate go thru hassle of return if dont like?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415166/bluff-rock-cinema-buildnow-under-way#post_22181478 Bluff Rock Cinema build and whole basement renow for fun and games
From moldy/musty mess to magnificent wonder(i hope)
post #654 of 3353 Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For $349 i think the sub is a no brainer.

I have 4 of them now in a large room but auditioned one by itself and really didn't feel like I Was missing anything bass wise while watching transformers. It wasn't until I a-b tested it against my svs 16-46 pc + that I could tell it wasn't digging as deep. This was at moderate listening levels. I am sure as I play louder and louder I would see more of a difference, but an equivalent svs sub to my 16-46 now would be $1200.

It also sounds great for music.

post #655 of 3353 Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the insite. Struggle with well maybe for few more dollars would get much more speaker than emp. But would be enough difference to really notice. Or would have spent lot more dollars to get big diffrence. Where does diminishing return start?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415166/bluff-rock-cinema-buildnow-under-way#post_22181478 Bluff Rock Cinema build and whole basement renow for fun and games
post #656 of 3353 Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Why the struggle? Like the energy 70 with premier 650 watt sub is like $300 difference. So heard energy at BB sound good to me. But what do i know. So basically is one getting bout same quality sound or would be significant difference. In other words, im not wanting to break the bank but not willing to save 300-500 $$ and miss out on better quality ....significantly impro
ves sound. Or is it going to be lot more than 1500-1800 for 5/1 system to hear difference. That lot money but not if have to do over and buy something else.

post #657 of 3353 Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Havent heard the energy speakers.

If it is at best buy most likely I t has a high markup (200%). Generally speaking I think to get more speaker for your money with an ID company.

Emp tek return policy is so good it doesn't hurt to try them both and return what you don't like.

post #658 of 3353 Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j baldwin View Post

Well, im sitting here thinking bout pulling trigger....hitting send button to order emp 55Ti, Ci and WI's as im starting to fatgue on research and reviews for months now. Eyes strained and brain fryed . Sound like more of you guys are happy with em than not. Am concerned though as to their ability with music as that will be over 50% of use. Building 14x22 hometheater/media room but if they dont fill the need quess could use them upstairs in living room Thinking bout passing on the sub as it doesn't have extremely strong review for low end bass but with 30% off right ;now price seems pretty good. If its not enough for home theater surely they are much better that the onyko bookshelves using now in living room. Someone stop me on buying or slap me and tell me to do something besides sit here and do nothing. My problem is no where to audition any speakers except some B &W , energy and def tech at BB. Klipsph werent even hooked up to audiiton and havent;' heard set of them since 80/'s so guess any speaker upgrade at this point would be great. I'll be upgrading to high end receiver for HT but hope that decision is easier that speakers. Course return policy is better that most just hate go thru hassle of return if dont like?

I paid the full $800 for my towers and love them. I wish I had a second theater room because at 30% off, I'd order a second pair without even looking at my bank account first! They play loud, crisp and clear and they get plenty deep for towers. I don't know why people even complain about low-end in towers. That's why they make subwoofers. If towers were meant to go sub-sonic, they wouldn't even manufacture separate subwoofers. Even with that said, these have plenty of bottom end for a mid-range set of speakers! I've had these towers near reference and they still don't sound like they're being strained. It hurts my ears for sure, but that's because reference and near reference in a home theater is f-in loud! LOL!

As for the subwoofer, I've played around with my set for a few days and I'll tell you what, mine get freakin loud and plenty deep! Sure, there are going to be bigger subs and subs that play lower, but at these prices, I don't think they can be beat! Go ahead and order an Outlaw or SVS or HSU, you're going to pay 2-3 times as much to get that little bump in performance.

Quote:
post #659 of 3353 Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM

[CLOR=blue][/COLOR]these are good points. Bb has energy but at full price...sound distrbutors online had em at more reasonable cost. Course have to pay return ship if refurn from them. Least u guys have tried different brands and still sold on emp. By time finish theater may have whole new perspective. If have to have? More then at least have nice system for living room. Better have two nice sound systems than one since wife listen lot different music a
nd whole lot less volume than i. Mr eastside sounds like u have come long way from not sure bout emp initially to sold on em. Do appreciate u guys takin time to console and babysit this fence sitter. Should be spending time on build and less time with indecision. Anything got sound better than present and will buy me some time and save few dollars for other component upgrades.

post #660 of 3353 Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Two? I have four! It's a procession of equipment into the projector room, then somewhere else in the house. I have my bedroom, exercise room and living room set up with a surround system. For some reason, the wife does not need one in her room, go figure?

After that the equipment usually trickles down to family and friends.

The EMPS are with the projector, now that I have the center channel. I will be calibrating them soon. They are completely different than the Polks that they replaced since they port back and the Polks port on the front.

I have a 12" Velodyne and am completely sold on large subs with lots of moving air.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page