**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 222 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 634Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6631 of 6644 Old 07-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
He doesn't, but I do.

Work out pretty well?
pukemon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6632 of 6644 Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Work out pretty well?
I only have the R5Bis and the R5Ci. If you're interested in a pair for yourself, you're more than welcome to come take a listen.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6633 of 6644 Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I only have the R5Bis and the R5Ci. If you're interested in a pair for yourself, you're more than welcome to come take a listen.
Man, I thought you were using towers for the surrounds. I'm quite sure many are using your setup. Wanted to know how an unorthodox setup sounded with the emps.
pukemon is online now  
post #6634 of 6644 Old 07-23-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Man, I thought you were using towers for the surrounds. I'm quite sure many are using your setup. Wanted to know how an unorthodox setup sounded with the emps.
No those Empteks are just extra speakers I have. Not many people have my setup

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6635 of 6644 Unread Yesterday, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,417
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
I've read a lot of the thread and didn't see any mention of dedicated amps being used. Anybody using these with amps above recommended wattage? I might purchase these but want to know what something like a parasound halo sounds on the towers.
I just now saw this post, but I am using an Emotiva XPA-5 to drive the towers and the e56ci center. I'm not in the camp that thinks having an external AMP does much. I was never running out of power when running the speakers off my Denon, nor have I seen any sonic improvement switching over to the Emotiva. The only reason I am using the Emotiva is because when I upgraded to Atmos I needed the AMP and it did make more sense to run the front sound stage off of it as opposed to the surround/height channels.
gregoryperkins likes this.
AllenA07 is offline  
post #6636 of 6644 Unread Today, 11:13 AM
Member
 
felang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently in the market for a 5.0 system for 90% HT use. I live in Central America so my options are severely limited, I am able to get stuff shipped from the US, but basically can't "try before I buy", returning would be way too expensive.

There seems to be many great bookshelves around the $250 a pair mark and that is around what I am willing to pay (taxes + shipping add on around 30% to 40% to what I would pay in the US).

I am posting here because since I can't really try any speakers before purchasing I'm hoping maybe someone has tried some of the same speakers I have owned and can offer a comparison to the Impression series.

The setup I currently have in my living room (and I'm quite happy with) is as follows:

FRL PSB Image B15's
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...ge-B15-Monitor

C PSB Imagine XC Center
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/center-speakers

Surround PSB
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...pact-Bookshelf

LFE Klipsch RW12D

Basically what I would want to know is, how would 4 R5Bi's and matching R5Ci compare?

The reason I ask is because someone is offering to buy my speakers from me for a nice profit and I was thinking to replace with the R5xx setup.

The only other system I could compare to is a PSB Alpha 5.0 setup (B1''s + c1 + LR1's).

Thanks!
felang is offline  
post #6637 of 6644 Unread Today, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I just now saw this post, but I am using an Emotiva XPA-5 to drive the towers and the e56ci center. I'm not in the camp that thinks having an external AMP does much. I was never running out of power when running the speakers off my Denon, nor have I seen any sonic improvement switching over to the Emotiva. The only reason I am using the Emotiva is because when I upgraded to Atmos I needed the AMP and it did make more sense to run the front sound stage off of it as opposed to the surround/height channels.
Try going from a receiver up a few notches in the external amp category. And the empteks towers are running 6ohm so they're getting more juice.
pukemon is online now  
post #6638 of 6644 Unread Today, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by felang View Post
I'm currently in the market for a 5.0 system for 90% HT use. I live in Central America so my options are severely limited, I am able to get stuff shipped from the US, but basically can't "try before I buy", returning would be way too expensive.

There seems to be many great bookshelves around the $250 a pair mark and that is around what I am willing to pay (taxes + shipping add on around 30% to 40% to what I would pay in the US).

I am posting here because since I can't really try any speakers before purchasing I'm hoping maybe someone has tried some of the same speakers I have owned and can offer a comparison to the Impression series.

The setup I currently have in my living room (and I'm quite happy with) is as follows:

FRL PSB Image B15's
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...ge-B15-Monitor

C PSB Imagine XC Center
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/center-speakers

Surround PSB
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...pact-Bookshelf

LFE Klipsch RW12D

Basically what I would want to know is, how would 4 R5Bi's and matching R5Ci compare?

The reason I ask is because someone is offering to buy my speakers from me for a nice profit and I was thinking to replace with the R5xx setup.

The only other system I could compare to is a PSB Alpha 5.0 setup (B1''s + c1 + LR1's).

Thanks!
Since the R5s are getting such good reviews ha e you considered getting 5 instead and using 5th as center channel. Saving a few more bucks.
pukemon is online now  
post #6639 of 6644 Unread Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Try going from a receiver up a few notches in the external amp category. And the empteks towers are running 6ohm so they're getting more juice.
They're not getting more juice from an amp because they are rated at 6ohms. High impedance basically means less resistance and thermal build up in the amp which makes driving speakers easier.
Madmax67 likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6640 of 6644 Unread Today, 03:02 PM
Member
 
acefr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
On R5Bi, how to take out the metal grill of the tweeter? Should I loosen the 4 inner screws? I tripped the speaker wire and my R5Bi fell with the stand, face down to a hardwood floor! Luckily the cloth grill took most of the impact. However, the metal grill of the tweeter has a slight dent. I want to remove it so I can push from the inside to fix the dent.

Last edited by acefr; Today at 03:18 PM.
acefr is offline  
post #6641 of 6644 Unread Today, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
They're not getting more juice from an amp because they are rated at 6ohms. High impedance basically means less resistance and thermal build up in the amp which makes driving speakers easier.
I want to understand this. You're saying my paramount a31 rated @ 250w 8ohms would run hotter than 400w @ 4ohms? I highly doubt that.

Last edited by pukemon; Today at 03:49 PM.
pukemon is online now  
post #6642 of 6644 Unread Today, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
I want to understand this. You're saying my paramount a31 rated @ 250w 8ohms would run hotter than 400w @ 4ohms? I highly doubt that.
Just simply google speaker impedance. I don't understand why you're making assumptions based on something you don't know much about and starting a debate by throwing out your "opinion" and nothing further. I'm not saying I know everything or even close to it, but some simple research can really help educate yourself.

As impedance of a speaker decreases, resistance builds up, causing the amplifier to pump out more current which builds heat.
Impedance restricts the flow of power from your receiver or amplifier.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
post #6643 of 6644 Unread Today, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
As impedance of a speaker decreases, resistance builds up, causing the amplifier to pump out more current which builds heat.
Impedance restricts the flow of power from your receiver or amplifier.

Doesn't make any sense. None. Btw, I frequently work around 480v, 220v and 110v. Resistors and capacitors. Not a speaker designer. 4ohms would allow more electrons to flow. 400w is hotter than 250w. Your move.
pukemon is online now  
post #6644 of 6644 Unread Today, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
As impedance of a speaker decreases, resistance builds up, causing the amplifier to pump out more current which builds heat.
Impedance restricts the flow of power from your receiver or amplifier.

Doesn't make any sense. None. Btw, I frequently work around 480v, 220v and 110v. Resistors and capacitors. Not a speaker designer. 4ohms would allow more electrons to flow. 400w is hotter than 250w. Your move.
This isn't a chess game or a debate on opinion. It's facts and electrical engineering so your opinion and the fact that it doesn't make sense to you isn't an argument.
Just because you can't understand something doesn't make it any less true. As someone's signature reads "the laws of physics aren't swayed by opinion".

Congrats on not taking advice and doing any research.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off