**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 229 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 736Likes

post #6841 of 6864 Old 08-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post
Under "bass" on the Denon...I want LFE, and then set that to 80hz also right?
That's actually incorrect. Your LFE bass effects crossover should be set and left at the 120Hz setting for the LFE content mix. That's separate from your receivers subwoofer crossover setting which most usually set around 80 Hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6864 Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
I agree and disagree. Yes, part of the reason I would rather have 8" woofers is stereo with and without sub for music. 2nd, there would be a little more thump with 8" woofer, debatable. 3rd, who doesn't want 8" woofers staring back at them? Lol.
Why would you want your sub off? Do you dislike bass that your woofers can't play?
post #6843 of 6864 Old 08-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Why would you want your sub off? Do you dislike bass that your woofers can't play?
I almost always use my subs. But there are times when I set my mains to large and enjoy the presence of the front. Not all of my music goes that low. I have some depeche mode on DVD that plays in DTS surround. Occasionally I like to enjoy it in stereo without the sub.. A few other albums I do the same. It is more in your face. Why do you think some people get mono blocks for their 2.0 sessions? There is a certain satisfaction I can see in that. Part of the reason I would much rather have JBL 590s. They're very sensitive so don't need a lot of wattage and be excellent, nay exceptional, for 2.0 listening.
post #6844 of 6864 Old 08-24-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I almost always use my subs. But there are times when I set my mains to large and enjoy the presence of the front. Not all of my music goes that low. I have some depeche mode on DVD that plays in DTS surround. Occasionally I like to enjoy it in stereo without the sub.. A few other albums I do the same. It is more in your face. Why do you think some people get mono blocks for their 2.0 sessions? There is a certain satisfaction I can see in that. Part of the reason I would much rather have JBL 590s. They're very sensitive so don't need a lot of wattage and be excellent, nay exceptional, for 2.0 listening.
Because they like to waste money (since they are loaded) or think it sounds better than same high quality 2 channel amp in same configuration, or they just like to see amp on floor with cables in the air (which looks weird in my opinion). lol Seriously I just laugh at people that spend on ridiculously amount of money on monoblocks and $1,000 per foot audio cables in their system. I can achieve the same sound (not not hear a difference) for much less or use that extra money in better speakers which makes bigger difference in sound quality.

Just like people here can buy emp tek bookshelfs with nice sub and it will sound just as good as $3,000 pair floorstanders. So no need for 8 inch midbass on towers when the sub takes care of that department better.

Living room theater
Axiom M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
post #6845 of 6864 Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Because they like to waste money (since they are loaded) or think it sounds better than same high quality 2 channel amp in same configuration, or they just like to see amp on floor with cables in the air (which looks weird in my opinion). lol Seriously I just laugh at people that spend on ridiculously amount of money on monoblocks and $1,000 per foot audio cables in their system. I can achieve the same sound (not not hear a difference) for much less or use that extra money in better speakers which makes bigger difference in sound quality.

Just like people here can buy emp tek bookshelfs with nice sub and it will sound just as good as $3,000 pair floorstanders. So no need for 8 inch midbass on towers when the sub takes care of that department better.
you took my quote waaaaaay out of context. i wasn't implying buying some sanders amps, gold wires insulated with silk made to look like a model power grid. i was just saying there is a niche/crowd out there that like 2.0/2.1 listening for music. i don't fall in that group, but do dabble sometimes. it is nice to check out how well something is recorded in straight up stereo with what you have. i am not an audiophile, but have a pretty decent setup. just need to upgrade my speakers as they're the weakest link. don't dog different listening preferences. some people like headphones. with expensive dacs. and amps. it's all a matter of preference. i don't ever see myself buying blocks, but if money ever permitted, i would buy more 2 and 3 ch amps. breaking your system down into more components allows more flexibility in the upgrade path. even if you're not an audiophile with an audiophile budget.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #6846 of 6864 Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

It wasn't aimed towards you at all and I'm aware you wasn't going to be buying monoblocks. I was just stating the craziness people spend on those things that don't matter as much as the speakers itself to a certain degree. Not dissing on anyone's listening preferences but I know better to not spend money on things that could be spent elsewhere.

But back to EMP teks, you already ordered them? Did you decide on black or cherry?
Madmax67 likes this.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #6847 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It wasn't aimed towards you at all and I'm aware you wasn't going to be buying monoblocks. I was just stating the craziness people spend on those things that don't matter as much as the speakers itself to a certain degree. Not dissing on anyone's listening preferences but I know better to not spend money on things that could be spent elsewhere. I am probably going to order so I can get it by the 9th of september or buy them right after.

But back to EMP teks, you already ordered them? Did you decide on black or cherry?
Not yet. For 3 years I had my eye on black. But now, they seem too shiny and red burl has it's appeal. Still up in the air, and who knows, it may come down to what is in stock. All my other other components are matte black. My tires are almost out tread, but could probably make it a couple more months being Michelin's. Don't want to leave my self broke.

Last edited by pukemon; 08-25-2016 at 03:26 AM.
post #6848 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 2876
Quote:
I was just stating the craziness people spend on those things that don't matter as much as the speakers itself to a certain degree. Not dissing on anyone's listening preferences but I know better to not spend money on things that could be spent elsewhere.
Says the man that has Rotel .
pukemon likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #6849 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
HA! Good point! But the price I paid is no where near monoblocks and it cost no more than high end AVRs! After owning it for 12 years its safe to say I got a lot more than my money's worth!
dsrussell likes this.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #6850 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Lol.
post #6851 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered 7 empteks. 1 R56, 4 R55s, and a pair of R5s. Red burl. To get all black i would've had to wait until at least October. No big deal as the red looks nice and doesn't clash with black. Had to ask if i could get it shipped ups. Said they had to call me back if I had to pay extra. Just got called back. Should be here next week sometime.

Last edited by pukemon; 08-25-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #6852 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:
Just ordered 7 empteks. 1 R56, 4 R55s, and a pair of R5s. Red burl. To get all black i would've had to wait until at least October. No big deal as the red looks nice and doesn't clash with black. Had to ask if i could get it shipped ups. Said they had to call me back if I had to pay extra. Just got called back. Should be here next week sometime.
Looking forward to your thoughts! Also Red Burl was the right choice

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #6853 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
From what I hear is that red burl looks more exotic looking and everyone likes the color when they open the box. Take some pics of your setup once you get it all hooked up! So how are you running the setup in 7 channel....bookshelfs as rears or sides?

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #6854 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
From what I hear is that red burl looks more exotic looking and everyone likes the color when they open the box. Take some pics of your setup once you get it all hooked up! So how are you running the setup in 7 channel....bookshelfs as rears or sides?
Lol. If you'd been paying attention to my previous posts, I run pseudo surround. Audyssey DSX does pretty well and picks up the slack because I don't run surrounds or rears.

The reason I bought the R5 bookshelves is after onkyo's last firmware update on my 3009, I can't trick it into a full calibration. I had to buy polk audio monitor 40's to finish a calibration. I was one of the lucky/unlucky ones that had to send my receiver in to change the network card. I was on the 2nd to last update. They updated it while in repair.

Anyways, I will run all 7 to get my 8 position calibration. I will probably try to run surrounds as best as I can for a day or two before I box back up. I run LCRs with two wides. Therefore pseudo surround. Works very well actually. The rear content, and even rear content with echoes does well with my setup currently. And in future I want to get at least another parasound A21, or perhaps an A21/31 combo in the mix or if I find spectacular good deal on an A51 I will get that.

I actually tried running LCR with my monitor 70s and 60s stacked on top for heights. Let's just say not even. Now I'll have the same speakers for wides as my mains so expecting better soundstage for movies and DTS surround music. Might try the bookshelves out for stereo for hahas while I have them out.

Feeling a little giddy. It will probably get worse mid next week. I have pretty good soundstage now. Imaging is OK. Hoping the EMPS take it to next level. I am hoping they're branded RBH. Should help with resale price should I not be satisfied or get upgrade fever. Hoping I will be pleasantly surprised. I am quite sure EMPTEKs don't have any brand recognition with the masses. Only enthusiasts.

Eagerly awaiting though regardless. The Polk's just aren't up to snuff in music unless I set to large. I also lean towards a neutral, or preferably a warmer sound. Part of the reason I have onkyo and parasound powering my stuff. Class A and A/B amps tend to lean towards warm so hoping there is some synergy with what I have. Seems most peeps say the EMPs lean towards neutral sounding. Will probably have to get used to it. I have two pairs of beyerdynamic headphones. COPs 16ohm and DT770s 250ohm. I usually listen to the COPs as they are more fun and warmer sounding with nice chest rattling bass when hooked up to my amp. The 770s are very clinical, but can pump out some nice bass with the right music, DAC and amp.

Hoping the red burl lives up to it's appeal. The piano black looks OK, but very glossy. The red burl looks plain in pictures but I am giving you guys benefit of doubt that they WOW in person.
post #6855 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lol. If you'd been paying attention to my previous posts, I run pseudo surround. Audyssey DSX does pretty well and picks up the slack because I don't run surrounds or rears.

The reason I bought the R5 bookshelves is after onkyo's last firmware update on my 3009, I can't trick it into a full calibration. I had to buy polk audio monitor 40's to finish a calibration. I was one of the lucky/unlucky ones that had to send my receiver in to change the network card. I was on the 2nd to last update. They updated it while in repair.

Anyways, I will run all 7 to get my 8 position calibration. I will probably try to run surrounds as best as I can for a day or two before I box back up. I run LCRs with two wides. Therefore pseudo surround. Works very well actually. The rear content, and even rear content with echoes does well with my setup currently. And in future I want to get at least another parasound A21, or perhaps an A21/31 combo in the mix or if I find spectacular good deal on an A51 I will get that.

I actually tried running LCR with my monitor 70s and 60s stacked on top for heights. Let's just say not even. Now I'll have the same speakers for wides as my mains so expecting better soundstage for movies and DTS surround music. Might try the bookshelves out for stereo for hahas while I have them out.

Feeling a little giddy. It will probably get worse mid next week. I have pretty good soundstage now. Imaging is OK. Hoping the EMPS take it to next level. I am hoping they're branded RBH. Should help with resale price should I not be satisfied or get upgrade fever. Hoping I will be pleasantly surprised. I am quite sure EMPTEKs don't have any brand recognition with the masses. Only enthusiasts.

Eagerly awaiting though regardless. The Polk's just aren't up to snuff in music unless I set to large. I also lean towards a neutral, or preferably a warmer sound. Part of the reason I have onkyo and parasound powering my stuff. Class A and A/B amps tend to lean towards warm so hoping there is some synergy with what I have. Seems most peeps say the EMPs lean towards neutral sounding. Will probably have to get used to it. I have two pairs of beyerdynamic headphones. COPs 16ohm and DT770s 250ohm. I usually listen to the COPs as they are more fun and warmer sounding with nice chest rattling bass when hooked up to my amp. The 770s are very clinical, but can pump out some nice bass with the right music, DAC and amp.

Hoping the red burl lives up to it's appeal. The piano black looks OK, but very glossy. The red burl looks plain in pictures but I am giving you guys benefit of doubt that they WOW in person.
I assumed you were running surrounds when you ordered that many speakers. So you're not running any sides or rears at all? You're saying everything is coming in front of you only? I'm confused but I thought people run wides if they don't do the atmos layout but always run the normal dolby 5.1/7.1 base channels??? Is there a reason you're not running surrounds behind you at all?

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #6856 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I assumed you were running surrounds when you ordered that many speakers. So you're not running any sides or rears at all? You're saying everything is coming in front of you only? I'm confused but I thought people run wides if they don't do the atmos layout but always run the normal dolby 5.1/7.1 base channels??? Is there a reason you're not running surrounds behind you at all?
Nope. No surrounds. My mains are toed in a little bit. My current listening position, with wides is basically directly at me. I have a sectional and hate it. Everything was fine with sectional in any listening position but now I am in sweet spot, with recliner. I want to get rid of sectional and get more recliners or reclining love seats. Need the room, and I am single. I could run surrounds but I'd probably piss off my next door neighbors. I am lucky to run current setup at -25 to -10db as is for movies. Music I usually run -35 to -20db depending on mood and what I am listening to. This with two HSU subs in very not optimal positions. The upside for the subs though is I run my HSU 3.3 very close to near field. When I get the speakers I am thinking about stacking subs like I did my last apartment. It worked very well that way and both right next to each other were in an optimal position. Perhaps, now you and others might know why I would've preferred 8" woofers for mains. I also have to pick a good time along with crossing my fingers to run calibration. Lots of extraneous noise. My last cal I had to run 3 times before I was satisfied and I still had to make minor tweaks. Might throw away sectional next week. I have had hard time getting rid of it. The upside to the sectional though was with the extra pillows I am able to do a little ghetto room acoustics to help with reflections. I definitely need two love seats or two more recliners to assist with that if I get rid of sectional. Y'all better not let me down. I am hoping for better imaging and soundstage, not to mention hoping the R56 is a beast. My parasound is too beefy for my CS20 and occasionally have to rewind to clearly hear what is said.

Last edited by pukemon; 08-25-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #6857 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nope. No surrounds. My mains are toed in a little bit. My current listening position, with wides is basically directly at me. I have a sectional and hate it. Everything was fine with sectional in any listening position but now I am in sweet spot, with recliner. I want to get rid of sectional and get more recliners or reclining love seats. Need the room, and I am single. I could run surrounds but I'd probably piss off my next door neighbors. I am lucky to run current setup at -25 to -10db as is for movies. Music I usually run -35 to -20db depending on mood and what I am listening to. This with two HSU subs in very not optimal positions. The upside for the subs though is I run my HSU 3.3 very close to near field. When I get the speakers I am thinking about stacking subs like I did my last apartment. It worked very well that way and both right next to each other were in an optimal position. Perhaps, now you and others might know why I would've preferred 8" woofers for mains. I also have to pick a good time along with crossing my fingers to run calibration. Lots of extraneous noise. My last cal I had to run 3 times before I was satisfied and I still had to make minor tweaks. Might throw away sectional next week. I have had hard time getting rid of it. The upside to the sectional though was with the extra pillows I am able to do a little ghetto room acoustics to help with reflections. I definitely need two love seats or two more recliners to assist with that if I get rid of sectional. Y'all better not let me down. I am hoping for better imaging and soundstage, not to mention hoping the R56 is a beast. My parasound is too beefy for my CS20 and occasionally have to rewind to clearly hear what is said.
You have 2 subs in an apartment and you're worried about surrounds pissing off your neighbors???? You would piss off your neighbors with your subs and mains first before the surrounds! Surrounds get the least amount of use compared to the other speakers.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #6858 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Movies of probably be OK
Multi channel music, ummm. No. Very happy with what my LCR and wide provide me anyways. Let it be.
post #6859 of 6864 Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 648
You better take the delivery day off to sign for those packages or tell the office you have a bunch of stuff coming. Mail carriers hate delivering to apartments to begin with, and are seriously going to try to avoid having to deal with 7 large speakers.

What you don't want to happen is miss them, and have to wait another day because no way they should just leave them at your doorstep out in the open without any type of signature.

But I'm with ereed: subs over speakers as far as pissing off your neighbors. Both can do the trick though..so it just matters which you like louder, treble or bass

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #6860 of 6864 Old 08-26-2016, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Umm, that's the reason I insisted on ups. Get tracking number and use the website to have them leave it at hub that is about 20 mins away. FedEx hub is about an hour away. If no traffic. And they take forever when you get there. Mofo's couldn't find a huge box with a hsu sub in it. Waited 3h. 5h trip with FedEx. Hour to hour and a half with ups.

Ereed and I were discussing surrounds, not subs. I don't run true surround. I run LCR with wides. And .2 on the subs. No way in hell I'm giving up that bass. I live in older apartments so no paper thin walls. Neighbor has TV up against the wall I would put surrounds if I ran surrounds. I get 95% of the pleasure during movies with current setup and 100% with music. Why mess up their sound or have top or side neighbor complaining if the surroumds bothered them? I get to enjoy my bass and have had no complaints nor want to be paranoid about neighbors complaining. I am respectful of times. Like school just started so volume goes down around 8:30-9pm, by which time I'm usually going to bed anyways. Friday and Saturdays, including nights I jam as loud as I want. Haven't had one complaint.

Anyways, I went ahead and bought the surrounds to get in one shipment and figuring I would save a little bit more which I did. The MSRP of the whole setup is $2010. I dont think price is allowed to be discussed so let's just say my final price was i got a free pair of bookshelves. With free shipping of course.
post #6861 of 6864 Old 08-26-2016, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Now I'm just dreading all the unboxing I have to do. Eager to get the speakers though. And assemble the outriggers. Also, gotta play my LR a little bit because I am assuming break in period, like my monitor 70's. My monitor 60's play just like they did as soon as I hooked them up. Then after I listen to the LRs and figure out how well they image by ear, gotta play with the toe in, if needed. The center and wides will go where current speakers are. Then calibrate with audyssey. And make minor tweaks if needed. Then I gotta watch master and commander because that for me is reference to check how well speakers play together and it has an awesome recording. Then probably some interstellar, martian and/or dark knight trilogy. Or maybe one of the Tolkien trilogies if I'm up to it. Have 2 3 day weekends coming up. But yeah, I'm giddy.
post #6862 of 6864 Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

The giddiness is kicking in. Damn.
post #6863 of 6864 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Uh oh. Starting to worry. Credit card hasn't been charged and don't see anything on ups yet.

Maaaan. Just checked FedEx. They might've sent FedEx anyways. Grrrrrrr. If that s the case...

Last edited by pukemon; Yesterday at 05:48 PM.
post #6864 of 6864 Old Today, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Both speaker finished are glossy. The black fade into the background more. The print pattern used is only noticeable about a foot away.

The red definitely make the speaker stand out. Depends on your preference/decor.

My work has that same red pattern everywhere and the repetitiveness of it drives me a little...

Either way enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page