**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 811Likes

post #6991 of 7016 Old 09-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Mind blown at the fact that anybody thought I was going to stop frequency ~400hz and below with a little plywood, rubber and foam. More familiar with it than most of you presume I know. In auto and vertical transportation. Even escalators. My goal is dampening and diffusion. My sectional, hidden foam and pillow placement probably took care of around 80% of anomalies naturally and I was satisfied with that. I've been looking at furniture already and still haven't found what I'm looking for in my price range, ~<=$2000. Sectional was gone in a flash. Couldn't just put it out by dumpster and let it get ruined by the random rain we've been having this summer. Why would I spend $2000 in room treatment when I can spend a little over $200, skip a couple bottles of scotch while looking for my perfect furniture in the meantime and meet my goal of dampening and diffusion until I do find it and then repurpose it to get that extra 10-20% of sound performance down the road? If neighbor complaints ever became an issue I could disable a sub or sadly go to stereo only. My ceiling and shared wall are approximately a foot each. My completely bare shared wall is about 15'x8.5'. my dampening and diffusion goal is cheap, hits two birds with one stone and has longevity in the form of repurposing. So yeah. Mind blown.

Anyways, I am moving forward with my plans. Thanks to y'all still that helped point me in a direction. Next question is what/where to get two stands for my R5s? Budget $200. Preferably less. Can do it myself if I don't like what is suggested. These aren't a long term solution btw so cheaper is better (and black and bottom heavy preferably). When I get a house the R5s will definitely be wall mounted. Then they will be sold.
Sanus makes nice stands with different sizes for $100 a pair. They make wood and steel versions, I prefer the steel myself.

Speakers: Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
Audio Gear: Rotel 1075 amplifier, Rotel 1068 pre/pro
Power conditioner: Monster
Cables: Bluejeans, MasterCable, BetterCables, Sewell Direct, Monoprice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 7016 Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Mind blown at the fact that anybody thought I was going to stop frequency ~400hz and below with a little plywood, rubber and foam. More familiar with it than most of you presume I know. In auto and vertical transportation. Even escalators. My goal is dampening and diffusion. My sectional, hidden foam and pillow placement probably took care of around 80% of anomalies naturally and I was satisfied with that. I've been looking at furniture already and still haven't found what I'm looking for in my price range, ~<=$2000. Sectional was gone in a flash. Couldn't just put it out by dumpster and let it get ruined by the random rain we've been having this summer. Why would I spend $2000 in room treatment when I can spend a little over $200, skip a couple bottles of scotch while looking for my perfect furniture in the meantime and meet my goal of dampening and diffusion until I do find it and then repurpose it to get that extra 10-20% of sound performance down the road? If neighbor complaints ever became an issue I could disable a sub or sadly go to stereo only. My ceiling and shared wall are approximately a foot each. My completely bare shared wall is about 15'x8.5'. my dampening and diffusion goal is cheap, hits two birds with one stone and has longevity in the form of repurposing. So yeah. Mind blown.

Anyways, I am moving forward with my plans. Thanks to y'all still that helped point me in a direction. Next question is what/where to get two stands for my R5s? Budget $200. Preferably less. Can do it myself if I don't like what is suggested. These aren't a long term solution btw so cheaper is better (and black and bottom heavy preferably). When I get a house the R5s will definitely be wall mounted. Then they will be sold.
Seriously enough. Start your own thread instead of clogging this up with your ignorant comments and remarks.

You sit and ask for help and advise and things you want to do but ignore all of our suggestions and constantly contradict yourself. Please do us a favor and start a new thread.

How can you ask for advise, and then give off comments like "mind blown" like we're some stupid people who know nothing? You have posted zero pics, links, or any serious direction on what you're trying to do. You go off tangents about trying to accomplish one thing or another and we all try to help and you sit there and shoot us all down.
outofprint and Madmax67 like this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #6993 of 7016 Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
You said your budget was $200 for panels. You're not going to get any better than GIK or similiar for $200 unless you make proper DIY acoustic panels with proper materials. Not sure why you keep mentioning vibrations since that has nothing to do with acoustic panels. Sound frequencies and vibrations from the sub itself are 2 different things. No amount of panels is going to stop vibrations on walls.

Audyssey doesn't fix a bad room. Seems like you want audyssey to fix all your problems rather than doing things correctly to begin with. And you mentioned a BARE room sounds good with badass speakers? Maybe to your ears but I guarantee you that cheap speakers (or any brand) sound better in well treated room than very expensive speakers in a poor treated bare room.

And are you ever going to show us pics of your system so we can futher help you? Unless you really don't want our help?
Umm, you misread what i posted earlier about a bare room. My problems started after sectional gone, not before so audyssey ain't fixing what I am now missing and experiencing. And y'all are making this more complicated than it is. . Not shooting for an anechoic chamber. Trying to put a band aid on the void with the sectional missing. And I'm basing my additions on science. 'No amount of panels are going to stop vibrations on walls.'? You're right. But adding mass dampens it. If not, all those people including myself that add butyl/aluminum to sheet metal in their autos wasted their time and money. Or put sand in their hollow speaker stands wasted their time also. Or butyl/wood on top of an elevator with an obsolete but good/bad fan with dry rotted bushings. Or a strip/sheet of butyl on a noisy glass panel. Or buildings that have doubled their walls/insulation in lobby because of tenants complaining 1000-2000fpm elevators too noisy from bearings spinning so fast. I am aiming for dampening and diffusion. Nothing more. Nothing less. No unrealistic expectations like getting rid of vibrations from subwoofers. Not adding enough mass to dampen 100hz and below noticeably. I'd probably have to double the thickness of my walls and triple what I plan on doing for that. Dampen and diffusion. Not deaden or proof. Not just screwing some plywood to wall and gluing foam on it. Using some heavy duty bushings, possibly some insulation if I have access to it free or some 2'x6's behind plywood so the decoupling doesn't allow ply wood to vibrate/oscillate itself.

Do y'all have stock in these companies? I've moved on already. If you think I'm a fool, I am a fool. Last time I am acknowledging. Not changing my mind unless the furniture I want at the price I want pops up first. Then all I need is the 2" diffusing foam.
post #6994 of 7016 Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Umm, you misread what i posted earlier about a bare room. My problems started after sectional gone, not before so audyssey ain't fixing what I am now missing and experiencing. And y'all are making this more complicated than it is. . Not shooting for an anechoic chamber. Trying to put a band aid on the void with the sectional missing. And I'm basing my additions on science. 'No amount of panels are going to stop vibrations on walls.'? You're right. But adding mass dampens it. If not, all those people including myself that add butyl/aluminum to sheet metal in their autos wasted their time and money. Or put sand in their hollow speaker stands wasted their time also. Or butyl/wood on top of an elevator with an obsolete but good/bad fan with dry rotted bushings. Or a strip/sheet of butyl on a noisy glass panel. Or buildings that have doubled their walls/insulation in lobby because of tenants complaining 1000-2000fpm elevators too noisy from bearings spinning so fast. I am aiming for dampening and diffusion. Nothing more. Nothing less. No unrealistic expectations like getting rid of vibrations from subwoofers. Not adding enough mass to dampen 100hz and below noticeably. I'd probably have to double the thickness of my walls and triple what I plan on doing for that. Dampen and diffusion. Not deaden or proof. Not just screwing some plywood to wall and gluing foam on it. Using some heavy duty bushings, possibly some insulation if I have access to it free or some 2'x6's behind plywood so the decoupling doesn't allow ply wood to vibrate/oscillate itself.

Do y'all have stock in these companies? I've moved on already. If you think I'm a fool, I am a fool. Last time I am acknowledging. Not changing my mind unless the furniture I want at the price I want pops up first. Then all I need is the 2" diffusing foam.
You keep asking for help and advice but then shoot us down and tell us how you will do it instead... I don't think the methods you are using are going to be useful for audio applications, but you can find out the hard way if you want.
AllenA07, outofprint and Madmax67 like this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #6995 of 7016 Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NOTHING Emp related has been said in pages - do we have stock in this company? Seriously? Just leave and start a new thread. You haven't moved on, you don't know what you're talking about, you're clogging this thread up. Start a new one.

Stop asking for advice for your waste-of-time ideas and just do it by yourself since you know so much and shoot down advice. Go continue to contradict yourself and bother people in your own thread. You're bothering people to the point I'm getting PMs about you.

No one said anything about spending $2k on panels, no one said anything about turning your room into an anechoric chamber.

Last edited by bgtighe23; 09-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.
post #6996 of 7016 Old 09-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Got a name or search term for that. Link didn't work.
Here is the correct link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pukemon likes this.
post #6997 of 7016 Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Chatting with the RBH guys at CEDIA I got a chance to ask about the new Impression line. As of right now those speakers have been temporarily put on hold. Apparently the hold up is due to design issues with the baffle, and them not wanting to lose the cost advantage that the Impression line has. It wasn't really clear if this delay is something where they are going back to the drawing board, or if this is something where the new Impression line has been shelved.

I also asked if there was any hope of a ribbon tweeter ever filtering down to the Impression speakers, and they were clear that that won't be happening any time in foreseeable future.

Last edited by AllenA07; 09-17-2016 at 07:14 AM.
post #6998 of 7016 Old 09-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My b stock speakers arrived. One knick on a bottom corner that's mostly covered by the grill, and basically invisible unless you're looking from the bottom (which I never would be). The other speaker looks perfect. All in all very happy with saving a few bucks.
ereed likes this.
post #6999 of 7016 Old 09-18-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Chatting with the RBH guys at CEDIA I got a chance to ask about the new Impression line. As of right now those speakers have been temporarily put on hold. Apparently the hold up is due to design issues with the baffle, and them not wanting to lose the cost advantage that the Impression line has. It wasn't really clear if this delay is something where they are going back to the drawing board, or if this is something where the new Impression line has been shelved.

I also asked if there was any hope of a ribbon tweeter ever filtering down to the Impression speakers, and they were clear that that won't be happening any time in foreseeable future.
Let's hope it's just temporary until they can get it resolved. My guess is a ribbon would add a considerable amount to the cost, Dennis Murphy mentioned his cost for a stock RAAL for example is several hundred. I don't know what's in the new RBH high end speakers, but my guess is it's not something that can maintain the Impression series cost advantage. You also run into the problem of making a speaker that sounds very close to their higher end offerings, and they likely want to maintain more of a distinction.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12
post #7000 of 7016 Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 AM

Liked: 22
I didn't make it to CEDIA this year, is there any news of new products from RBH (other than the delayed Impression line)?

They don't have any current press releases on their site.

post #7001 of 7016 Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarck View Post
I didn't make it to CEDIA this year, is there any news of new products from RBH (other than the delayed Impression line)?

They don't have any current press releases on their site.
New AMT tweeter on the RBH SV series:

ereed and bismarck like this.

post #7002 of 7016 Old 09-18-2016, 09:49 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Thanks! I think that's a great upgrade option for people, but I wonder if that's really what the lineup needs.

I would like to see the MC in-wall speakers redesigned to be trimless, like the Visage series.

post #7003 of 7016 Old 09-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the price of those speakers I wonder why they don't use magnetic grills? But that is some sexy looking speakers. Any idea on pricing for those models?

Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
post #7004 of 7016 Old 09-18-2016, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been looking at the R55ti speakers. This weekend I got out to the local Best Buy and heard the B&W CM9 and CM10, as well as the 684; also heard the Martin Logan Motion 40, Motion 60XT and ElectroMotion ESL. The Motion 40 and B&W 684 left me a little underwhelmed, overall. I thought the bass on all of the B&W's sounded quite a bit tighter than the Martin Logan's. Based on price alone the B&W and ML would significantly outclass the R55ti, I know. But, right now, it's my only point of reference. Can anybody comment on how the R55ti's sound compares to these? Just wondering how the sound could be described.
post #7005 of 7016 Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwolfgang View Post
I've been looking at the R55ti speakers. This weekend I got out to the local Best Buy and heard the B&W CM9 and CM10, as well as the 684; also heard the Martin Logan Motion 40, Motion 60XT and ElectroMotion ESL. The Motion 40 and B&W 684 left me a little underwhelmed, overall. I thought the bass on all of the B&W's sounded quite a bit tighter than the Martin Logan's. Based on price alone the B&W and ML would significantly outclass the R55ti, I know. But, right now, it's my only point of reference. Can anybody comment on how the R55ti's sound compares to these? Just wondering how the sound could be described.
Neutral and natural. Impression definitely impresses.
post #7006 of 7016 Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwolfgang View Post
Price is not always the best indicator of quality. If R55tis were sold at best buy they would more than triple the cost of what they are selling now at least! Best way to do this is order the R55tis and then get pair of speakers you like best at Best Buy and demo them in your home and return the loser.
darthray likes this.

post #7007 of 7016 Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

There is a speaker I would like to hear!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #7008 of 7016 Old 09-20-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
You and me both!

@ereed Not sure about the cost of these, but there are some dealers in the RBH thread who can give you quotes.

post #7009 of 7016 Old 09-20-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Price is not always the best indicator of quality. If R55tis were sold at best buy they would more than triple the cost of what they are selling now at least! Best way to do this is order the R55tis and then get pair of speakers you like best at Best Buy and demo them in your home and return the loser.

You correct about the price not been the best indicator.

Many speakers, no matter the price, there will be decision about where to make cuts to bring the price down to stay in the competition.
The EMP offer a great product for the price, yes there is always better, but price do increase due to less cut.

I am into the higher bracket budget, but still recommend them all the time, just a great product for the price
And when someone say the difference, was mind blowing, I brush it off.
My present AV processor cost me $4000 CDN compare to my first one that was around $900.
Is there a difference, yes a little, but not mind blowing has mention before by someone else.

We are bless with so many choices now a day from so many ID companies.
Very good products at affordable prices.
And this also bring down the prices for those, like me chasing the white rabbit into High End

Ray
dsrussell and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by darthray; 09-21-2016 at 06:33 AM.
post #7010 of 7016 Old 09-21-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have never really heard a AMT tweeter, except a terrible set up with some Martin Logans at Best Buy...after owning the RAALs for about a year now, I cannot imagine they sound better than that!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #7011 of 7016 Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have never really heard a AMT tweeter, except a terrible set up with some Martin Logans at Best Buy...after owning the RAALs for about a year now, I cannot imagine they sound better than that!
Models on those you heard is important.

There is a surprisingly an unbelievable difference in the Motion 4 or whatever than the Motion 35XT

But those little puny Motion bookshelves just arent great for the money at all. Especially when they are heard at BB

post #7012 of 7016 Old 09-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Is best buy really selling Macintosh in some magnolias? Just heard about that a couple weeks ago.
post #7013 of 7016 Old 09-21-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is best buy really selling Macintosh in some magnolias? Just heard about that a couple weeks ago.
Yes if it's a Magnolia Design Center, they carry very high end offerings. Regular Best Buy Magnolias will not carry those items.

post #7014 of 7016 Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Models on those you heard is important.

There is a surprisingly an unbelievable difference in the Motion 4 or whatever than the Motion 35XT

But those little puny Motion bookshelves just arent great for the money at all. Especially when they are heard at BB
Yes and the "regular" best buys, like the one in my area, only sell cheap Polk, Klipsch, Martin Logan and sometimes B$W. Don't know the model of the speaker I heard, but it wasn't likely Martin Logan's best.
Edit- oh yea, and don't let me forget Bose....

post #7015 of 7016 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yes and the "regular" best buys, like the one in my area, only sell cheap Polk, Klipsch, Martin Logan and sometimes B$W. Don't know the model of the speaker I heard, but it wasn't likely Martin Logan's best.
Edit- oh yea, and don't let me forget Bose....
Elihawk I see in your sig that you have a Phil BMR.
How do your Emp Tek stack up to the Phils in 2 channel music. I know its
not apple to apple comparison but just gathering some
feedbacks to real world applications. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by outofprint; Yesterday at 07:34 PM.
post #7016 of 7016 Old Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofprint View Post
Elihawk I see in your sig that you have a Phil BMR.
How do your Emp Tek stack up to the Phils in 2 channel music. I know its
not apple to apple comparison but just gathering some
feedbacks to real world applications. Thanks in advance.
yes, I have owned the Phil- BMR for about 15 month, Dennis had a demo pair that had been shipped a few places before he offered to sell them to me at a nice price. The speaker is outstanding and the RAAL tweeter produces the smoothest, most crystal clear highs I have ever owned. For critical music listening, the Phils will kick the EMPteks behinds all day and all night (and twice on Sunday). But of course, keep in mind we are talking about a 1600/pr speaker competing with the EMP 5Ti, the little brother to the 55ti towers...which I bought for 175/pr on close out. So there is almost 10x cost difference.
Interesting, the Phil sit in my spare bedroom where I do critical music listening. When I brought the Phils into my theater and replace the EMP 5Ti, with a mismatch front stage as I was using my 5ci center...I wasn't blown away by the performance of the Phil in the theater setting. I think part of it was I am use the the EMPs and part of it is I really like the slightly midrange forward sound signature of the EMPs for theater.
Bottom line...the EMP have AND continue to be a great speaker in the budget price range. They won't be better than a lot of speaker in the mid and upper price ranges, however. But in the bang for the buck category, they will excell!
ereed and outofprint like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page