**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 814Likes
post #7021 of 7028 Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm in the buffalo, NY area.
I'm very happy with them just one of those guys that change around stuff.
I'm trying to get Kef R500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7028 Unread Today, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone have the R5Bi Bookshelf Speakers in black? Are they good for movies

Hi,
Building my first 3.1 home theater and so far I'm really liking the R5Bi Bookshelf Speakers in black.

I have no idea how they sound like. I have a Yamaha RX-V381. Will this work ok? Planning to get the R5Ci Center Channel Speaker when they are back in stock.

Amplifier Section Channel 5.1
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 70 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 140 (6 ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110 / 1
post #7023 of 7028 Unread Today, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer949 View Post
Hi,
Building my first 3.1 home theater and so far I'm really liking the R5Bi Bookshelf Speakers in black.

I have no idea how they sound like. I have a Yamaha RX-V381. Will this work ok? Planning to get the R5Ci Center Channel Speaker when they are back in stock.

Amplifier Section Channel 5.1
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 70 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 140 (6 ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110 / 1
They sound good, but that receiver won't be able to play them very loud since they are a little hard to drive.
post #7024 of 7028 Unread Today, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer949 View Post
Hi,

Amplifier SectionChannel5.1

Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)70 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
Not the highest power rating a receiver can have but even at 70 watts you should be able to drive the Emp bookshelves to pretty loud listening levels even with a sensitivity of 85dB /2.83V/1 meter @ 8 ohms. R5Ci center speaker 87dV/2.83V/1 meter @6 ohms

You'll pick up several dB for each additional speaker plus the boundary effect so I think you should be fine as long as you're not trying to get a concert hall sized room to reference level. Here's a handy online SPL calculator to put in your specifics.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

EDIT: Oops forgot to say how they sound. I have the Emp -tek bookshelves and I think they sound great. Very neutral sound which I like but great for everything from Classical music to movies. Definitely needs a sub but what bookshelf speaker doesn't ? I have mine setup as front B speaker's as they aren't my mains(Chane A5 towers) but I ran them as such for several weeks and they held their own pretty well. Great value for the money. Glad I bought them. Plus they look great.😀

Here's a good review on the bookshelves that helped me with my purchase.

Last edited by Madmax67; Today at 04:37 PM.
post #7025 of 7028 Unread Today, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Need Advice for Speaker and Cabinet placement

On the left of the left cabinet, there is a gap about 8" between the cabinet and the side wall. My original intention was putting the R5Bi there when I set up the TV and cabinets. However, I found that I ended up putting the R5Bi where it is now (you can see its position from the speaker stand base plate in the picture), so I am trying to figure out a way to close the gap between the cabinet and the wall. Which way do you think is better for the sound? Thanks.

1. Move the left cabinet to the left by 8". Then distribute the 8" between the TV, the two cabinets and the right R5Bi. Move the left R5Bi to the further left in front of the side wall. There is about 1 foot space between the speaker back and the side wall. The R5Bi is toed in, so the back port will face the open hallway instead of the side wall.

2. Keep everything where they are. Put an Ikea plant behind the left R5Bi covering the gap.

3. Any other suggestions to close the gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0930160837.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1693921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1693929  
post #7026 of 7028 Unread Today, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
On the left of the left cabinet, there is a gap about 8" between the cabinet and the side wall. My original intention was putting the R5Bi there when I set up the TV and cabinets. However, I found that I ended up putting the R5Bi where it is now (you can see its position from the speaker stand base plate in the picture), so I am trying to figure out a way to close the gap between the cabinet and the wall. Which way do you think is better for the sound? Thanks.

1. Move the left cabinet to the left by 8". Then distribute the 8" between the TV, the two cabinets and the right R5Bi. Move the left R5Bi to the further left in front of the side wall. There is about 1 foot space between the speaker back and the side wall. The R5Bi is toed in, so the back port will face the open hallway instead of the side wall.

2. Keep everything where they are. Put an Ikea plant behind the left R5Bi covering the gap.

3. Any other suggestions to close the gap.
I think its fine where it is currently. I wouldn't put the speaker closer to the rear wall. If you really must cover the gap (which I think a gap is fine) you can put small acoustic panel/trap between there to absorb some low frequencies. Or just slide both cabinets all way to side wall and put bigger tv inside.

As far as sound goes itself, best to have it wide and out from corners as possible which you have seemed to do pretty well. I would just add acoustic panel behind it if you can and call it a day. What reason are you trying to close the gap? Just don't like empty spaces?

Speakers: Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
Audio Gear: Rotel 1075 amplifier, Rotel 1068 pre/pro
Power conditioner: Monster
Cables: Bluejeans, MasterCable, BetterCables, Sewell Direct, Monoprice
post #7027 of 7028 Unread Today, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I think its fine where it is currently. I wouldn't put the speaker closer to the rear wall. If you really must cover the gap (which I think a gap is fine) you can put small acoustic panel/trap between there to absorb some low frequencies. Or just slide both cabinets all way to side wall and put bigger tv inside.

As far as sound goes itself, best to have it wide and out from corners as possible which you have seemed to do pretty well. I would just add acoustic panel behind it if you can and call it a day. What reason are you trying to close the gap? Just don't like empty spaces?
Thanks for your input. I thought about putting a MDF board there but never thought about acoustic panel. Is there an acoustic benefit there behind the speaker? That TV is 65" and I wish I could get a bigger one, but it gets real expensive over 65" with nano crystal. There are some furniture straps holding the cabinet and TV to the wall, and it is quite unsightly from the side view.
post #7028 of 7028 Unread Today, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
Thanks for your input. I thought about putting a MDF board there but never thought about acoustic panel. Is there an acoustic benefit there behind the speaker? That TV is 65" and I wish I could get a bigger one, but it gets real expensive over 65" with nano crystal. There are some furniture straps holding the cabinet and TV to the wall, and it is quite unsightly from the side view.
Depending how much space you have in the corners you can do bass traps/wedges. it will definitely improve the bass response and you can do acoustic panel on short side walls that connect to tv wall since sound reflects behind the speaker as well. They come anywhere from 1 to 5 inches thick and will help with echos and other sounds. Looking at your room with hardwood/tiles it looks like a bright room and the panels should help there. Or if you want to go cheap you can always get black velvet/fabric to cover gap from front edge of cabinet to the side walls.

Speakers: Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
Audio Gear: Rotel 1075 amplifier, Rotel 1068 pre/pro
Power conditioner: Monster
Cables: Bluejeans, MasterCable, BetterCables, Sewell Direct, Monoprice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems