**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 956Likes

Old 11-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
I would like to comment on atmos, even though I am a newb, and have no first hand experience with it, or with uhd.

From Dolby's website: "... we recommend using four Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, modules, or overhead speakers if possible. This will deliver more precisely located and realistic overhead sounds."

And if you think logically about it, the difference between a 5.1 and a 5.1.4, given the same Atmos source soundtrack, should only be represented by the 4 overhead speakers, which according to Dolby, should be reproducing overhead sounds. That is not enough of an incentive for me to install ceiling speakers.

That being said, I think Atmos is here to stay, and I believe it will also improve movie soundtracks by making it easier to more accurately author those soundtracks - better source=better output. And of course, a properly configured overhead speakers should provide for a more (maybe even much, much more) immersive experience, assuming that the source material contains sound that should be routed to them. According to Dolby, that should be overhead sounds.

Of course, I could be way off base here, in assuming that if non overhead sounds are played through the overhead speakers, then they may sound unnatural.

i've been scouring threads regarding Atmos and whether it's better to run ceiling speakers or modules. according to the Chief designer that modules actually will produce if not better than ceiling speakers because how it's bouncing off the ceiling and to you vs you knowing that there's speakers in the ceiling. i dunno tho...i'm still new to all this Atmos but probably likely to purchase a new Atmos AVR and start with 7.2.2 or 7.2.4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.john View Post
I went to place an order online yesterday for the R5BIB and they showed as out of stock in the black for the BF price. Then I tried to order them through the usual channel on their site (Products --> Bookshelf Speakers, etc.) and they showed as in-stock in black though they didn't reflect the discounted price.

So I called them up and spoke with Brian and he took my order over the phone and said they should still have the black in stock. He said he wasn't certain given all of the orders they received and that they were still being processed. Luckily they had them in stock and I received my confirmation email with the same turnaround time.

I imagine they are quoting a generous turnaround time given the large amount of orders and that most orders will ship faster. Just my two cents.

In addition, these aren't prebuilt speakers so each one is assembled to order. (Not sure if they test and measure them too tho.)

I live about 2miles from them and I even have to wait days to get them.

Be patient, I am sure you will all find its worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Chris
2 Pairs RBH R55ti, R5bi, R56ci, RBH 15", Crown XLS2500, (2) 18" Marty subs, (3) 12's and some old garbage.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post
In addition, these aren't prebuilt speakers so each one is assembled to order. (Not sure if they test and measure them too tho.)

I live about 2miles from them and I even have to wait days to get them.

Be patient, I am sure you will all find its worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surely they pre build some ahead of holiday season. I imagine that would alleviate backorders and having to pay OT.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 17
my bstock order of 2 towers and center 2 days ago, was shipped today. should get here by thursday. instead of what the email said, 2 to 3 weeks.

anyone else who ordered bf sales this past weekend get a notification speakers have shipped?

Last edited by Luisfc1972; 11-29-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i've been scouring threads regarding Atmos and whether it's better to run ceiling speakers or modules. according to the Chief designer that modules actually will produce if not better than ceiling speakers because how it's bouncing off the ceiling and to you vs you knowing that there's speakers in the ceiling. i dunno tho...i'm still new to all this Atmos but probably likely to purchase a new Atmos AVR and start with 7.2.2 or 7.2.4?
overhead ceiling speakers is the best way to do atmos.....the modules is just 2nd way of doing it Not as good as ceiling option. Start with 7.2 and then add 2 or 4 ceiling speakers depending on where your seating is and all.

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 AM

thanks for all the input you guys have been giving me on in regards to room treatmemts and Atmos! change in plans as now i decided not to use the basement as my home theatre just because the back wall that opens up to the rest of the basement i was wondering if everything i was going to do was going to defeat the purpose of experiencing a true home theatre? so we have a bonus room/recreation room upstairs which also measures right around 20x15 and is a sealed room other than the door entrance. i plan on possibly ordering another set of Emptek R55TI's for rears and placing a Atmos module on top of that as well as the Atmos modules sitting of the front mains. so it'll be a .4 vs a .2. would you guys opt to tear the walls down and replace with sound proof insulation or leave as is and just do the room treatments like you guys recommended. that little storage room you see in the left corner with the small door i'll have to look inside and see if i can remove it as i want a perfect corner in that room for the rear bass traps in both corners.

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-30-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 17
since ive always used cheap speakers i feel silly paying almost $800 for 3. i guess ill find out soon if its worth it
Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks for all the input you guys have been giving me on in regards to room treatmemts and Atmos! change in plans as now i decided not to use the basement as my home theatre just because the back wall that opens up to the rest of the basement i was wondering if everything i was going to do was going to defeat the purpose of experiencing a true home theatre? so we have a bonus room/recreation room upstairs which also measures right around 20x15 and is a sealed room other than the door entrance. i plan on possibly ordering another set of Emptek R55TI's for rears and placing a Atmos module on top of that as well as the Atmos modules sitting of the front mains. so it'll be a .4 vs a .2. would you guys opt to tear the walls down and replace with sound proof insulation or leave as is and just do the room treatments like you guys recommended. that little storage room you see in the left corner with the small door i'll have to look inside and see if i can remove it as i want a perfect corner in that room for the rear bass traps in both corners.

This is a much better room to do home theater with because its sealed room and not square. In your basement you can still put up a large tv and speakers for people to look at while playing pool.

Sound proof and acoustic treatment are 2 different things. Sound proof keeps sound coming in the room and out the room which is expensive! Acoustic treatments removes bloated bass, echos, flutters and improves clarity and soundstage since you won't have reflecting sound bouncing back to you which you don't want.

If you can skip the modules and do in ceilings that will definitely be much better, not to mention ceiling speakers are cheaper than modules. Atmos is supposed to be direct sound from all speakers. Not sure how high your ceilings are but you can put in false ceiling so you don't cut holes in your actual ceiling and that is also good place to put acoustic panels as well. And it will make it easier to run wiring and installing projector without cutting up your real ceiling.

Very nice room and lots of options you can do. Since you don't have atmos AVR just keep what you have and build a really good 7.2 system first. Really good ideal 7.2 layout will sound better than poor atmos setup.

Before you order treatments, first get all the wiring and proper speaker setup in place and paint the walls darker. You can't do treatments til everything is setup first, otherwise you won't be able to find your first reflection points, etc.

Good idea doing towers all around....or you can save money and do bookshelf for side and rears on stands. Either one. what speakers do you have now and are you doing projector?

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Doubt you need sound proofing. Depending on family situation, worst case scenario sound proof the floor if you have lots of busy activity that will override the theatre. But unlikely, as that looks like a somewhat modern home.

Might want to look at thick curtains if the windows might invade your quality of sound or listening position. Looks like a very good room to play with for a theatre. Ereed mentioned painting room darker. Probably not necessary unless you're going to do a lot of daytime viewing with windows open. could just go with a couple thin coats of very flat white paint or another flat color to complement whatever furniture you plan on putting in there, or to complement the electronics. You mention you have a closet and might bass trap it? Is making it the entertainment rack a possibility with ample air flow or active cooling?

And I'm quite sure ereed will point you in the direction of where to buy pre made panels or treatment. I cheaper out so I could do a little overkill with corning 703. Don't regret it at all. You might be able to put heavy drapes all around the walls for a more retro look and not have to touch paint at all also.

Envious of your room. Looks like you could setup nicely for multiple rows of seating if you go long, or a couple very nice couches if you choose to go the short route. That room looks like it might accommodate a projector and 3 R55's for LCR too as an option.

If you need an elevator call me and I'll hook it up. J/k. That would be dope though. Lol.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Doubt you need sound proofing. Depending on family situation, worst case scenario sound proof the floor if you have lots of busy activity that will override the theatre. But unlikely, as that looks like a somewhat modern home.

Might want to look at thick curtains if the windows might invade your quality of sound or listening position. Looks like a very good room to play with for a theatre. Ereed mentioned painting room darker. Probably not necessary unless you're going to do a lot of daytime viewing with windows open. could just go with a couple thin coats of very flat white paint or another flat color to complement whatever furniture you plan on putting in there, or to complement the electronics. You mention you have a closet and might bass trap it? Is making it the entertainment rack a possibility with ample air flow or active cooling?

And I'm quite sure ereed will point you in the direction of where to buy pre made panels or treatment. I cheaper out so I could do a little overkill with corning 703. Don't regret it at all. You might be able to put heavy drapes all around the walls for a more retro look and not have to touch paint at all also.

Envious of your room. Looks like you could setup nicely for multiple rows of seating if you go long, or a couple very nice couches if you choose to go the short route. That room looks like it might accommodate a projector and 3 R55's for LCR too as an option.

If you need an elevator call me and I'll hook it up. J/k. That would be dope though. Lol.
That was the worst advice you have given. Who paints their walls white in a theater room??? And what does darker walls got to do with window shades open? Point is to get the theater room dark as possible like an actual theater. Painting the walls darker (doesn't have to be black) will improve picture contrast. Even medium grey would look good if you don't want to black it out. This guy is building a dedicated theater room by the way meaning he is after best possible picture quality.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
This is a much better room to do home theater with because its sealed room and not square. In your basement you can still put up a large tv and speakers for people to look at while playing pool.

Sound proof and acoustic treatment are 2 different things. Sound proof keeps sound coming in the room and out the room which is expensive! Acoustic treatments removes bloated bass, echos, flutters and improves clarity and soundstage since you won't have reflecting sound bouncing back to you which you don't want.

If you can skip the modules and do in ceilings that will definitely be much better, not to mention ceiling speakers are cheaper than modules. Atmos is supposed to be direct sound from all speakers. Not sure how high your ceilings are but you can put in false ceiling so you don't cut holes in your actual ceiling and that is also good place to put acoustic panels as well. And it will make it easier to run wiring and installing projector without cutting up your real ceiling.

Very nice room and lots of options you can do. Since you don't have atmos AVR just keep what you have and build a really good 7.2 system first. Really good ideal 7.2 layout will sound better than poor atmos setup.

Before you order treatments, first get all the wiring and proper speaker setup in place and paint the walls darker. You can't do treatments til everything is setup first, otherwise you won't be able to find your first reflection points, etc.

Good idea doing towers all around....or you can save money and do bookshelf for side and rears on stands. Either one. what speakers do you have now and are you doing projector?

i figured this would be a better room to work with i'll still do the recommended room treatments bass traps and panels. floor is already carpet so i should be fine on that. so i'll leave the already insulated walls as is since you explained the differences between sound and acoustics.

so as far as the modules now i won't do those since i have access to get into the ceiling from the attic. doesn't look like Emptek carries any type of ceiling speakers? i thought they did? any recommendations for ceiling speakers that will go well with the Emps? Oh, as far as speakers i bought my Emps a few years back. i have the E55Ti's, E56Ci, E55WI's and yamaha bookshelves for upper heights. Klipsch 12" powered subwoofer for lows. so pretty much a 7.1. so like i mentioned earlier i thought about picking another pair of R55Ti's for rears. if i decide to go Atmos than i'll upgrade the AVR but if you can recommend some ceiling speakers that would be great if i decide to take on that route! Still looking for an Atmos AVR and whether i want to do .2 or .4 for ceiling speakers? so many choices and options really

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-30-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

As Ereed has commented, if you can run speaker wires to the ceiling, Atmos is best with ceiling speakers, and that is the way Atmos theaters are set up. The Atmos module is only for people who cannot do ceiling speakers and is a secondary choice. 5.2.4 will be very sweet in your room.

The acoustic panels is what most people in this forum would recommend for room treatment.

I wish I have a living room with 4 walls like yours.
ereed and lsturbointeg like this.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i figured this would be a better room to work with i'll still do the recommended room treatments bass traps and panels. floor is already carpet so i should be fine on that. so i'll leave the already insulated walls as is since you explained the differences between sound and acoustics.

so as far as the modules now i won't do those since i have access to get into the ceiling from the attic. doesn't look like Emptek carries any type of ceiling speakers? i thought they did? any recommendations for ceiling speakers that will go well with the Emps? Oh, as far as speakers i bought my Emps a few years back. i have the E55Ti's, E56Ci, E55WI's and yamaha bookshelves for upper heights. Klipsch 12" powered subwoofer for lows. so like i mentioned earlier i thought about picking another pair of R55Ti's for rears. if i decide to go Atmos than i'll upgrade the AVR but if you can recommend some ceiling speakers that would be great if i decide to take on that route! Still looking for an Atmos AVR and whether i want to do .2 or .4 for ceiling speakers? so many choices and options really
RBH has ceiling speakers on their site, not the emp tek site. Same company.

You have nice 5.0 setup right now. I would forget about heights if you are doing atmos. You can always add the heights later if you feel needed. I would do bookshelf for the rears while keeping bipoles on the sides. No need to waste extra money on towers for rears. The sides will have more sound coming out than the rears anyway. So you can do 7.2.4 or the 5.2.4. I would wire it 4 speakers in ceiling since you have huge room. Once you figure out exact seating, then you can decide where to cut the holes. If I'm not mistaken the speakes are supposed to be 45 degrees front and behind you? Will have to check dolby's specs on that one. I'm assuming the tv/projector is on short wall, correct? Just make sure the dipoles side surrounds are ear level or slightly few inches above ears when sitting. All speakers should be ear level as mains except the ceiling speakers.

Drawing out diagram of your seating arrangement, speaker layout will also help you plan ahead. That way you can see how far your speakers are apart, distance, etc. Maybe even have a build thread? LOL

Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
As Ereed has commented, if you can run speaker wires to the ceiling, Atmos is best with ceiling speakers, and that is the way Atmos theaters are set up. The Atmos module is only for people who cannot do ceiling speakers and is a secondary choice. 5.2.4 will be very sweet in your room.

The acoustic panels is what most people in this forum would recommend for room treatment.

I wish I have a living room with 4 walls like yours.

thanks! yes, i'll be able to run the speaker wires through the attic and because i was a previous cable installer i'll wall fish my lines down from the attic inside the wall down to the receiver
Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so as far as the modules now i won't do those since i have access to get into the ceiling from the attic. doesn't look like Emptek carries any type of ceiling speakers? i thought they did? any recommendations for ceiling speakers that will go well with the Emps? Oh, as far as speakers i bought my Emps a few years back. i have the E55Ti's, E56Ci, E55WI's and yamaha bookshelves for upper heights. Klipsch 12" powered subwoofer for lows. so like i mentioned earlier i thought about picking another pair of R55Ti's for rears. if i decide to go Atmos than i'll upgrade the AVR but if you can recommend some ceiling speakers that would be great if i decide to take on that route! Still looking for an Atmos AVR and whether i want to do .2 or .4 for ceiling speakers? so many choices and options really
I have a 5.1.2 and I have the HTD HD-R65AIM as my ceiling speakers. They sound very well with my R5Bi LCR. If you do .4, you could do two pairs of HD-R80.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Speakers...igh-definition

RBH, the parent company of EMP, also has a line of ceiling speakers, but I have no experience with them. Maybe someone here are more familiar with them:

https://rbhsound.com/inceiling.php
Old 11-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
RBH has ceiling speakers on their site, not the emp tek site. Same company.

You have nice 5.0 setup right now. I would forget about heights if you are doing atmos. You can always add the heights later if you feel needed. I would do bookshelf for the rears while keeping bipoles on the sides. No need to waste extra money on towers for rears. The sides will have more sound coming out than the rears anyway. So you can do 7.2.4 or the 5.2.4. I would wire it 4 speakers in ceiling since you have huge room. Once you figure out exact seating, then you can decide where to cut the holes. If I'm not mistaken the speakes are supposed to be 45 degrees front and behind you? Will have to check dolby's specs on that one. I'm assuming the tv/projector is on short wall, correct? Just make sure the dipoles side surrounds are ear level or slightly few inches above ears when sitting. All speakers should be ear level as mains except the ceiling speakers.

Drawing out diagram of your seating arrangement, speaker layout will also help you plan ahead. That way you can see how far your speakers are apart, distance, etc. Maybe even have a build thread? LOL

i'll have to check and see what RBH offers. besides RBH would you recommend any other brands that you would run with the Emptek's? i'll drop the heights since i won't be needing that setup. i see what you're saying about the bookshelves for rears now since i won't be doing modules. i only thought of the E55TI's so i can set the modules on top of them. but since i'm doing ceilings speakers no need for that so i'll have to go with the 7.2.4 to run the bookshelves for rears. as far as TV placement i'm not going with a projector but a 70" - 80" Ultra HD 4K. The picture i posted is actually the rear of the room and the front of the room doesn't have that storage space you see. i'll do some researching per dolby specs in regards to Atmos speaker placement in the ceiling. thanks for the input !
Old 11-30-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was the worst advice you have given. Who paints their walls white in a theater room??? And what does darker walls got to do with window shades open? Point is to get the theater room dark as possible like an actual theater. Painting the walls darker (doesn't have to be black) will improve picture contrast. Even medium grey would look good if you don't want to black it out. This guy is building a dedicated theater room by the way meaning he is after best possible picture quality.
There he is. The he is! Knew the self acoustic consultant would bite. There you go assuming again. Lol.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
I have a 5.1.2 and I have the HTD HD-R65AIM as my ceiling speakers. They sound very well with my R5Bi LCR. If you do .4, you could do two pairs of HD-R80.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Speakers...igh-definition

RBH, the parent company of EMP, also has a line of ceiling speakers, but I have no experience with them. Maybe someone here are more familiar with them:

https://rbhsound.com/inceiling.php

so $159 for the HTD pair or each and $179 each for the HDR80's? that's one option. so you think going with the HDR80's .4 would be better than the HTD HD-R65AIM .4's? i'm trying to see what's the difference between the 2 models. the RBH didn't have any prices and they list a lot of different models so i'm not sure which one i'm suppose to go with?

edit: so the HTD HD-R65AIM is 6.5" but it looks like the woofer and tweeter is pointed directly towards where you sit. the HDR80's is a 8" but looks like it sits flush other than the tweeter being able to point to where you sit? any disadvantages of the woofer not firing towards the listening spot? i had the impression on high and mid frequencies are only used through the ceiling speakers so i'm wondering woofer size is not really a concern?

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-30-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i'll have to check and see what RBH offers. besides RBH would you recommend any other brands that you would run with the Emptek's? i'll drop the heights since i won't be needing that setup. i see what you're saying about the bookshelves for rears now since i won't be doing modules. i only thought of the E55TI's so i can set the modules on top of them. but since i'm doing ceilings speakers no need for that so i'll have to go with the 7.2.4 to run the bookshelves for rears. as far as TV placement i'm not going with a projector but a 70" - 80" Ultra HD 4K. The picture i posted is actually the rear of the room and the front of the room doesn't have that storage space you see. i'll do some researching per dolby specs in regards to Atmos speaker placement in the ceiling. thanks for the input !
Have you decided that is going to be the front for sure yet? Is there ample space and airflow to make it the hidden audio rack?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
There he is. The he is! Knew the self acoustic consultant would bite. There you go assuming again. Lol.
yes, if you have a choice, DON'T paint the room white...not only does it make the room lighter, but way more light reflective! No one says you should paint a room flat black, but something darker. Mine is a light grey. Nice room, btw...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only

Last edited by Elihawk; 11-30-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Btw, I am in the midst of a subwoofer challenge and I post that here because my EMPtek 10i10i is in the mix. I recently bought the SVS NSD-12, and I am auditioning it head to head with my Klipsch rw12d, Outlaw LFM-1 plus and EMPtek 10i10i. Early returns for HT only have given me these results:
#1 Outlaw,
#2 , EMPtek10i10i,
#3 SVS,
#4 Klipsch (piece of crap sub, IMHO).

Now the SVS is brand new (I don't believe in the break in period, however, I do believe that my ears/brain will adjust to listening to this sub), so in the next couple weekend I will try this challenge again and throw in some music and HT scenes. The point is, while the EMP won't hit as low as either of the Klipsch or SVS subs, it is more controlled and better at 35 hz and above. It will distort if pushed, but you get it set up correctly and it give you loud and very controlled bass. Not better than the Outlaw, however at low, loud or SQ! The EMP10i10i, like the EMP speakers, is a damn good sub for the 275 dollar I got it for on closeout!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Old 11-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Have you decided that is going to be the front for sure yet? Is there ample space and airflow to make it the hidden audio rack?
hmmm...never thought of that? that's actually a pretty good idea! i'll know more once i get into the house and start looking at things. is basically a storage unit so i'm assuming it would be ideal to have my equipment in there?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Btw, I am in the midst of a subwoofer challenge and I post that here because my EMPtek 10i10i is in the mix. I recently bought the SVS NSD-12, and I am auditioning it head to head with my Klipsch rw12d, Outlaw LFM-1 plus and EMPtek 10i10i. Early returns for HT only have given me these results:
#1 Outlaw,
#2 , EMPtek10i10i,
#3 SVS,
#4 Klipsch (piece of crap sub, IMHO).

Now the SVS is brand new (I don't believe in the break in period, however, I do believe that my ears/brain will adjust to listening to this sub), so in the next couple weekend I will try this challenge again and throw in some music and HT scenes. The point is, while the EMP won't hit as low as either of the Klipsch or SVS subs, it is more controlled and better at 35 hz and above. It will distort if pushed, but you get it set up correctly and it give you loud and very controlled bass. Not better than the Outlaw, however at low, loud or SQ! The EMP10i10i, like the EMP speakers, is a damn good sub for the 275 dollar I got it for on closeout!

Elihawk, i know you were around a few years i think when we both bought our Emptek right around the same time i think? how are you still liking them and do you think you'll ever want to upgrade to something else? also, why the change in your 1010i subs. i think you had 2 of them right? i missed out on those deals when they first came out but at the time i just got my 12" Klipsch. you think they're crap...any particular reason why? i think it hits pretty damn hard and thought about finding another one to run .2
Old 11-30-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't assume anything! I quoted you saying that you suggested to paint it white or leave walls as it is and I'm just saying its a FACT not assumption that darker walls improves the contrast of the image. NEVER paint a theater room white!
Transmaniacon likes this.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hmmm...never thought of that? that's actually a pretty good idea! i'll know more once i get into the house and start looking at things. is basically a storage unit so i'm assuming it would be ideal to have my equipment in there?
As far as your equipment you need to make sure its plenty of ventilation. If you have your equipment in storage room and door closed the heat buildup is going to be a problem. And whatever you do keep your HDMI cable short as possible if you're doing 4K. There are issues with HDMI longer than 15 feet that won't pass 4:4:4 60fps regardless of what the manufacture says.
lsturbointeg and evilflooz like this.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Elihawk, i know you were around a few years i think when we both bought our Emptek right around the same time i think? how are you still liking them and do you think you'll ever want to upgrade to something else? also, why the change in your 1010i subs. i think you had 2 of them right? i missed out on those deals when they first came out but at the time i just got my 12" Klipsch. you think they're crap...any particular reason why? i think it hits pretty damn hard and thought about finding another one to run .2
In my main theater, I have been using the Outlaw and the EMP10i10i in tandem. I also have a TV/game set up upstairs. I really love things about the EMP sub...it is excellent from 35hz and above and very musical. However, it cannot keep up with the Outlaw and if I gain down the outlaw and gain up the EMP, I can get distortion in the EMP sub on scenes, like the opening of Live, Die, Repeat or several scenes from Godzilla, 2014. So I have recently come to the conclusion that I need a sub that can come closer to keeping up with the Outlaw! Not sure the SVS is going to be it, it has nowhere near the output of the Outlaw! Of course, ported sub versus sealed is alot of that. I just couldn't pass up the Black Friday sale on the SVS for 399.00 and have been wanting to get rid of the Klipsch-ugly-port-chuffing distortion beast for awhile. My plan is the move the EMP sub upstairs, where I mostly watch TV and games, listen to some 2 channel music, etc and pair with my Def Tech SM450s.

In terms of the speakers, I must admit, I have upgrade-tis! Not that I am not still happy with the EMPs...but there are just so many speakers I would like to hear. I know, to get clearly better sound I will have to make a $2,000 or above investment. I am looking for the right deal... I don't know what that is at this time. I love the RAAL ribbon in my Phil-BMR, but the advantages of the RAAL in terms of precision and clarity are lost somewhat in the HT arena. Just not sure, so for now, the EMPs will stay!
lsturbointeg likes this.

Last edited by Elihawk; 11-30-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't assume anything! I quoted you saying that you suggested to paint it white or leave walls as it is and I'm just saying its a FACT not assumption that darker walls improves the contrast of the image. NEVER paint a theater room white!
But of course you leave out a key word. Which doesn't matter anyways, because we don't know his intent to paint yet, WAF, decor he is aiming for and like another thing I suggested you blatantly left out, if he goes thick curtains or drapes no need to paint. And I also suggested other FLAT colors.

Anyways...
Old 11-30-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

In terms of the speakers, I must admit, I have upgrade-tis! Not that I am not still happy with the EMPs...but there are just so many speakers I would like to hear. I know, to get clearly better sound I will have to make a $2,000 or above investment. I am looking for the right deal... I don't know what that is at this time. I love the RAAL ribbon in my Phil-BMR, but the advantages of the RAAL in terms of precision and clarity are lost somewhat in the HT arena. Just not sure, so for now, the EMPs will stay!
Case of audiophile or just want something new? ATM, I find it hard to believe I will get that itch for speakers, even though intent is about 10 years on mine. I just had the itch to get a Halo A21 last week and missed the only b stock because I couldn't drop what I was doing and had to wait until lunch and then it was gone. And then class d audio popped up on my plate and between the opinions and reviews and Tom Ross making a 4ch amp I had to bite. And that made me want to get the pre pro sooner than later and realized I had to get now or lose out on audyssey DSX from here on out. Now my marantz 7702mkII is going to be here Saturday and I don't want to bug Ross for an ETA. I already asked for blue LEDs and he said that would hold up delivery a few days. Btw, are you chasing bass and plan on pairing your favorite up with same sub or pair up what you have that matches better? The outlaw and SVS don't pair up well? Figured the outlaw would be best for LF but not sure which has best SPL at sub 20. And do you plan on keeping the EMPTEKs if you scratch the itch or replace altogether?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so $159 for the HTD pair or each and $179 each for the HDR80's? that's one option. so you think going with the HDR80's .4 would be better than the HTD HD-R65AIM .4's? i'm trying to see what's the difference between the 2 models. the RBH didn't have any prices and they list a lot of different models so i'm not sure which one i'm suppose to go with?

edit: so the HTD HD-R65AIM is 6.5" but it looks like the woofer and tweeter is pointed directly towards where you sit. the HDR80's is a 8" but looks like it sits flush other than the tweeter being able to point to where you sit? any disadvantages of the woofer not firing towards the listening spot? i had the impression on high and mid frequencies are only used through the ceiling speakers so i'm wondering woofer size is not really a concern?
Well, I chose HD-R65AIM just because my MLF (my sofa) is against my back wall, and the height speakers are at the middle of the room, so the 18 degree angle of HD-R65AIM helps to compensate for my non-ideal ceiling speaker placement. (The ideal placement is directly above my head for 5.1.2.) If you are doing 5.1.4, your MLF would be between the front height and back height speakers, and you probably don't need/want an angled ceiling speaker. See these links for Atmos speakers placement:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-2-setups.html

6.5" or 8" does not really matter and is just a personal preference. You probably will do the crossover around 80Hz anyway, so the sub will handle the sub 80Hz signal.
lsturbointeg likes this.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you just moving in? Or is this existing house with intent to create dedicated theatre? Putting your equipment in the room might require some creative ventilation. And depending on how much you want to hide wires a lot more work. Unless you have easy access to attic from the whole of that room then it's just some sweat and time. it's fixing to be winter so might be good time to lay out PVC/conduit and pull wire now while it is cooler. Then you can focus on the other details more easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems