**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 910Likes

post #7351 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Your E55wis should always be side surrounds. No matter if its 5.1 or 7.1 the sides are supposed to be sides and rears are rears. Some people use 5.1 with rears but its wrong and should be sides. 7.1 adds rears. So put the E55wis 90 degrees from your MLP no matter what. You don't have to do atmos or 7.1 right away but it will be easy to just add the bookshelfs and ceiling speakers later when funds permit and you won't have to change the current 5.1 setup at all since its already there. Just make sure tweeter level are all same height if possible. You will have ideal 5.1 setup and it will still sound good. Then add bookshelfs when funds permit and you will have good 7.1. Then when you're ready add the ceiling speakers and have 2 of them playing with current receiver, then once you get new AVR with full atmos then you connect other 2 ceiling speakers to the AVR. But go ahead and wire it. Just make sure the ceiling speakers are 45 degrees front and behind you from your MLP and the ceiling speaker itself should be 90 degree dispersion.

I know you are thinking ahead but really nothing changes from atmos and 5.1 you have now...speakers will be same exact place with exception of adding to your current 5.1. Just get the 5.1 correct and add others later. How much space will you have behind your MLP to rear wall? This will determine if you should do 7.2.4 or 5.2.4.

i'm budget'd for the Atmos upgrade now. what's going through my mind is it worth paying $1200+ AVR to be able to run .4 for the rear Atmos speakers or has most people been happy and content call it a day with just the front Atmos speakers upgrade with the average AVR .2 running $500-700? you know what i mean? i don't mind running 5.1.2 but is it really a better experience with a 5.1.4? i can do without the rear surround speakers.

thanks for your input ereed!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; Yesterday at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What would be some budget direct speakers to use as rear surrounds with the r5bi's?
post #7353 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat2 View Post
What would be some budget direct speakers to use as rear surrounds with the r5bi's?

i've heard some guys will use their old HTIB surrounds with their current Emps to save on a budget. i've read the only speakers that should be timber matched are the mains and center
post #7354 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 274
**Official EMP Owner's Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i'm budget'd for the Atmos upgrade now. what's going through my mind is it worth paying $1200+ AVR to be able to run .4 for the rear Atmos speakers or has most people been happy and content call it a day with just the front Atmos speakers upgrade with the average AVR .2 running $500-700? you know what i mean? i don't mind running 5.1.2 but is it really a better experience with a 5.1.4? i can do without the rear surround speakers.

thanks for your input ereed!

Both 5.1.2 or .4 set-ups have rear surrounds, that is still a MUST for any surround set-up. You need an AVR that can isolate the Atmos sounds & send to overheads.

I also considered settling for 2 overheads due to the AVR cost difference. But for long term I bit the bullet and purchased refurb 9 channel A2050 to cut that difference in half.

Most everyone states .2 is good, but .4 definitely better for sounds zooming overhead front to back.. its pretty cool. Good luck with ur decision!
lsturbointeg likes this.
post #7355 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Both 5.1.2 or .4 set-ups have rear surrounds, that is still a MUST for any surround set-up. You need an AVR that can isolate the Atmos sounds & send to overheads.

I also considered settling for 2 overheads due to the AVR cost difference. But for long term I bit the bullet and purchased refurb 9 channel A2050 to cut that difference in half.

Most everyone states .2 is good, but .4 definitely better for sounds zooming overhead front to back.. its pretty cool. Good luck with ur decision!

that's what i mean. i wasn't sure if it was worth spending more for the extra .2 for the rear Atmos. sucks nowadays that you can't demo Atmos since Best Buy eliminated their Magnolia rooms. can you point me in a direction as far as refurb AVR's since you got a pretty good deal on your purchase? i've been scouring the internet for some deals. thanks!
post #7356 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 274

Best place is Accessoriesforless.com; authorized OEM reseller for Yamaha, Denon & Marantz which all come with factory 1 year warranty & 18 months for Yammy Adventage like my A2050. My fear was I would regret in 1-2 yrs not getting those extra 2 overheads.

I have RSL C34 speakers and they are excellent at $250 pair shipped
post #7357 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Best place is Accessoriesforless.com; authorized OEM reseller for Yamaha, Denon & Marantz which all come with factory 1 year warranty & 18 months for Yammy Adventage like my A2050. My fear was I would regret in 1-2 yrs not getting those extra 2 overheads.

I have RSL C34 speakers and they are excellent at $250 pair shipped

hey thanks! i'll check it out! i know what you mean by regretting it in the longrun realizing you should've gone .4 in the beginning instead of .2 and that's why i'm asking haha!
yanks1 likes this.
post #7358 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 16
after 3 days of ordering the towers and center i just received them. pretty fast

there are some dents on the outer brown box on a couple of the boxes though, hope nothing happened. setting them up tomorrow.
post #7359 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
i've heard some guys will use their old HTIB surrounds with their current Emps to save on a budget. i've read the only speakers that should be timber matched are the mains and center
I have an old set of Energy RC micro speakers I could use. Any thoughts on this? I've also read some of the Dayton Audio Speakers could work. The B652's are on sale as well as the Air version which uses an AMT tweeter. Would either of these be a better option?
post #7360 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 785
depending on the soundtrack 5% or less conent will be heard from your surrounds,sothat is where you go cheap if necessary.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #7361 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4

Quote:
AWESOME! i'll get some real measurements once i get a chance to walk the house again. so the sub replacement should be in the middle? i always thought having them in one of the front corners off 6" was ideal? it's a Klipsch 12" firing downward with the port in the rear. waiting for Emptek to get back to be for some grill replacements as my cats a couple years ago decided to use them as scratch post. not crazy damaged but you can see some thread pulled out here and there. any suggestions for materials that can be used to rewrap them? i know Emptek will ship me new one's as i forgot how much but was wondering if i'm better just rewrapping them?

found this recommendation?
http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric

also wondering if this is the same material that can be used for bass traps and panels?

here's the response i got back from Emptek!

Hi!

Yeah we could get you the E56Ci grilles for $48 and the E55Ti griles for $50 each. If you would like to order those, you could either call us ready with your credit card, or I can send you a paypal invoice. Whichever you prefer.

Thanks!

Crap, that's spendy! I have a couple e55ti grills I am not using...

For those prices I might have the r56ci also. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Chris
RBH R55ti, R5bi, R56ci, Crown XLS2500, and some old garbage.

Last edited by The Hotness; Yesterday at 07:45 PM.
post #7362 of 7369 Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All,

Posted this in Audio Theory/Setup but didn't get any replies. So I'll try here! Currently have a 3.1 (EMP Tek R5Bi and R56Ci) system and would like to get to 5.1.4 if possible. However, due to recent remodel, I need to try and sort out placement for my Rear surrounds and the height speakers. The challenge I'm faced with is that there's really nowhere to place my E3b surrounds.

Has anyone tried 6 in-ceiling speakers with success (2 rear surrounds and 4 height)? This could possibly achieve 5.1.4. The other option i can think of is a 5.1.2 setup with rear in-ceiling surrounds and front height speakers. Seating is 12' from tv and room is 15' wide. The room opens into the dining, so there's plenty of ceiling space behind the couch.

Appreciate any help you can offer! I've not purchased the surround or height speakers yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331_1480739854732.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1803777  
post #7363 of 7369 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbozi View Post
Hi All,

Posted this in Audio Theory/Setup but didn't get any replies. So I'll try here! Currently have a 3.1 (EMP Tek R5Bi and R56Ci) system and would like to get to 5.1.4 if possible. However, due to recent remodel, I need to try and sort out placement for my Rear surrounds and the height speakers. The challenge I'm faced with is that there's really nowhere to place my E3b surrounds.

Has anyone tried 6 in-ceiling speakers with success (2 rear surrounds and 4 height)? This could possibly achieve 5.1.4. The other option i can think of is a 5.1.2 setup with rear in-ceiling surrounds and front height speakers. Seating is 12' from tv and room is 15' wide. The room opens into the dining, so there's plenty of ceiling space behind the couch.

Appreciate any help you can offer! I've not purchased the surround or height speakers yet.
I don't think you want to do it that way, I wouldn't put the surrounds in the ceiling. Put them somewhere on the side. I have 5.4.4, the fronts heights are on wall and the rears are nearly ceiling mounted. My seating is not ideal because the projector hast to be where it is. The front height are old EMP on walls that they no longer sell, the rears are inexpensive Polks that do the job and are versatile for mounting as heights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_104911609.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1804265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_104943787.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1804273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161127_104952677.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1804281  
post #7364 of 7369 Old Today, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

hooked up my bstock towers and center. very few imperfections on the finish but these speakers are NEW.

i will run audyssey after around 50 hours breakin. new they sound much better than my first generation aj pioneers and tower.
post #7365 of 7369 Old Today, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 2967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
hooked up my bstock towers and center. very few imperfections on the finish but these speakers are NEW.

i will run audyssey after around 50 hours breakin. new they sound much better than my first generation aj pioneers and tower.
I've found that there is very little break-in time with any of the EMP speakers. A couple of hours is all you'll need. Enjoy!

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #7366 of 7369 Old Today, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

ok i think there might be something wrong with the center. dialogue sounds hollow if that makes sense. or maybe its that im watching direct tv hmmm

do i need to angle it upwards like i did with the pioneer center? its sitting under the tv
post #7367 of 7369 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 2967
DirecTV sound sucks (I have DirecTV). Very compressed. Judge a speaker by using a good quality source (CD's, DVD's and/or Blu-rays).

There is never any harm in angling speakers toward your ear level while seated. Try it and see.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #7368 of 7369 Old Today, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

played a lil of sunshine and braveheart. much better

i played them loud, couldnt help it. hope that doesnt do any damage to new speakers
post #7369 of 7369 Old Today, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
ok i think there might be something wrong with the center. dialogue sounds hollow if that makes sense. or maybe its that im watching direct tv hmmm

do i need to angle it upwards like i did with the pioneer center? its sitting under the tv
yes, as Dsrussell says, DirectTV sucks for audio! Not saying there isn't any issue with your center, but pop in a blue ray before you make that call! I had the blue ray of Oblivion for about a year before I heard the movie on DTV and I had the volume up +5 db from what I usually watch the BR and the LFE was really poor, in comparison!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page