**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 911Likes

post #7381 of 7394 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post
Very close, the components are shipped from China, but assembled here in Utah.

Source: Been in their building/warehouse and had to wait days for them to build mine. They have no built speakers in their factory, just pallets of components.

Also, a word of caution to those that have purchased these, I found that one of my drivers was not working today and that it needed to be re-connected. So you cats may want to check yours.
how do i check if the drivers are working? i think something is sounding off on the big center. i put my ears close to each driver but i cant tell. but still, i think something is off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7394 Old Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
how do i check if the drivers are working? i think something is sounding off on the big center. i put my ears close to each driver but i cant tell. but still, i think something is off.
Finger test it? Tweeter with ear.
post #7383 of 7394 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
First check to make sure you don't have loose speaker wires that fell out of binding post on both speaker side and amp side. Make sure you have Center ON the AVR. If everything looks good and still no sound then try putting another speaker on that same center speaker wire where center channel is and if there is still no sound then its the wire or setup issue......if you get sound with another speaker then its the center channel.

You can also touch the mids on the outer surround (not the tweeter) and if its working you will feel it playing, but you should also hear it as well. Keep us updated.

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #7384 of 7394 Old Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 786
yes, do the things suggested, but then if you are not satisified, just request a RMA and send it back. EMP has great customer service, from what I have experienced! If the speaker is defective, EMP should pay the return shipping.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #7385 of 7394 Old Today, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've searched this thread up and down and have found a lot of recommendations for mounts. I'm still not entirely sure which mount is best for wall mounting a pair of R5Bi. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following.

1) Clamping style (e.g. VideoSecu or Pinpoint AM40)
2) Rear screw style (e.g. Pinpoint AM20)

Does the curve of the speaker really prohibit the side clamps from working effectively? I'm planning on using some tack or velcro for added support if I go with the side clamping mounts. And my only concern with the rear screw mount is that the screw fits and the thread doesn't get stripped. Can anyone share their recommendation/experience on how they mounted their R5Bis?

Thanks!

Working on my first ht kit...
post #7386 of 7394 Old Today, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.john View Post
I've searched this thread up and down and have found a lot of recommendations for mounts. I'm still not entirely sure which mount is best for wall mounting a pair of R5Bi. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following.

Does the curve of the speaker really prohibit the side clamps from working effectively? I'm planning on using some tack or velcro for added support if I go with the side clamping mounts. And my only concern with the rear screw mount is that the screw fits and the thread doesn't get stripped. Can anyone share their recommendation/experience on how they mounted their R5Bis?

Thanks!
In the case of R5Bi, the clamp style mounts work well with small amount of blu-tack applied to the pressure points and the bottom. My speaker stand accidentally fell down, and the speaker was still attached to the mount.
post #7387 of 7394 Old Today, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbozi View Post
Hi All,

Posted this in Audio Theory/Setup but didn't get any replies. So I'll try here! Currently have a 3.1 (EMP Tek R5Bi and R56Ci) system and would like to get to 5.1.4 if possible. However, due to recent remodel, I need to try and sort out placement for my Rear surrounds and the height speakers. The challenge I'm faced with is that there's really nowhere to place my E3b surrounds.

Has anyone tried 6 in-ceiling speakers with success (2 rear surrounds and 4 height)? This could possibly achieve 5.1.4. The other option i can think of is a 5.1.2 setup with rear in-ceiling surrounds and front height speakers. Seating is 12' from tv and room is 15' wide. The room opens into the dining, so there's plenty of ceiling space behind the couch.

Appreciate any help you can offer! I've not purchased the surround or height speakers yet.
The surround (along with LCR) needs to close to your ear level, so there is a separation between the ground and height speakers for ATMOS to be efficient.

You can use in-wall (ceiling) speakers for the height speakers, and use a bracket to mount the surround lower close to ear level.
post #7388 of 7394 Old Today, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i'm budget'd for the Atmos upgrade now. what's going through my mind is it worth paying $1200+ AVR to be able to run .4 for the rear Atmos speakers or has most people been happy and content call it a day with just the front Atmos speakers upgrade with the average AVR .2 running $500-700? you know what i mean? i don't mind running 5.1.2 but is it really a better experience with a 5.1.4? i can do without the rear surround speakers.

thanks for your input ereed!
5.1.4 is nice but you need a 9 channel AVR. That is the reason I went with 5.1.2 (also my MLP is against the back wall so cannot benefit from the overhead panning effect of .4 anyway.) You can pre-wire the 4 ceiling speakers and just use two for now for 5.1.2 and wait for a better deal of 5.1.4 AVR. If you got the money and your MLP could be between the 2 pairs of ceiling speakers, go for 5.1.4.
post #7389 of 7394 Old Today, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks!
I ordered these. I have them mounted on my wall, but I'm still waiting for my R5Bi speakers to arrive. I'll let you know how it goes when they get here (haven't shipped yet).

I can tell you they don't angle down very far. They come with foam strips with adhesive on one side so you can protect your speakers finish. However, the foam is pretty thin, and they don't quite provide enough that I felt comfortable. I bought some kids fun foam from Hobby Lobby and padded the inside of the mount.

The walls of the R5Bi speakers curve, tapering toward the back. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is going to be. To be honest, the part of the clamp that holds the speakers isn't very big. It wasn't ever going to hold the entire side of the speaker anyway. I'll probably use some blue tack to help secure the speakers. Also, I'll probably loop the speaker wire around the bracket arm for some added security.
post #7390 of 7394 Old Today, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
In the case of R5Bi, the clamp style mounts work well with small amount of blu-tack applied to the pressure points and the bottom. My speaker stand accidentally fell down, and the speaker was still attached to the mount.
Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear the speaker remained attached!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhoa View Post
I ordered these. I have them mounted on my wall, but I'm still waiting for my R5Bi speakers to arrive. I'll let you know how it goes when they get here (haven't shipped yet).

I can tell you they don't angle down very far. They come with foam strips with adhesive on one side so you can protect your speakers finish. However, the foam is pretty thin, and they don't quite provide enough that I felt comfortable. I bought some kids fun foam from Hobby Lobby and padded the inside of the mount.

The walls of the R5Bi speakers curve, tapering toward the back. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is going to be. To be honest, the part of the clamp that holds the speakers isn't very big. It wasn't ever going to hold the entire side of the speaker anyway. I'll probably use some blue tack to help secure the speakers. Also, I'll probably loop the speaker wire around the bracket arm for some added security.
Thanks. I am leaning towards these from a cost perspective. And I like the idea of looping the speaker wire around. i was thinking of securing it in a similar fashion with maybe a zip tie or something else going from the bottom of the mount back up to a screw in the back screw port of the speaker.

post #7391 of 7394 Old Today, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear the speaker remained attached!

Thanks. I am leaning towards these from a cost perspective. And I like the idea of looping the speaker wire around. i was thinking of securing it in a similar fashion with maybe a zip tie or something else going from the bottom of the mount back up to a screw in the back screw port of the speaker.
I just received my shipping notification, so I should be able to let you know how they work out Thursday.
post #7392 of 7394 Old Today, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhoa View Post
I just received my shipping notification, so I should be able to let you know how they work out Thursday.
Thanks. I'd appreciate that!

post #7393 of 7394 Old Today, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

I did what the others suggested and just put a finger on the cone lightly.

I don't know what prompted me to do it, but there it was. I still have got to check all my other ones.

Fun thing about audio, you never know what your missing until you have it. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Chris
2 Pairs RBH R55ti, R5bi, R56ci, RBH 15", Crown XLS2500, 2 18" Marty subs and some old garbage.
post #7394 of 7394 Old Today, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post
I did what the others suggested and just put a finger on the cone lightly.

I don't know what prompted me to do it, but there it was. I still have got to check all my other ones.

Fun thing about audio, you never know what your missing until you have it. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmao.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems