**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 956Likes
post #7441 of 7652 Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
without going back through all the threads here has anyone posted which Atmos speaker is closely matched with the Emp's? i'm leaning towards the RSL's but if there's a better option i'd like to hear about it!
R5 won't work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 7652 Old 12-17-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
without going back through all the threads here has anyone posted which Atmos speaker is closely matched with the Emp's? i'm leaning towards the RSL's but if there's a better option i'd like to hear about it!
I have not heard RSL speakers but heard they are pretty good for atmos, so as tannoys in ceiling speakers. If you want perfect match check out rbh in ceiling speakers and see the pricing. I'm just gonna assume rbh in ceilings are better match with emp teks, you can give them a call and see what they recommend. Just make sure the in ceiling speaker has 90 degree wide dispersion and it should be mounted 45 degrees in front and behind you. Thats what dolby recommends. Thats pretty much what I know about speaker for atmos, but I personally haven't heard any in-ceilings to know how they sound to emp tek line.
lsturbointeg likes this.

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #7443 of 7652 Old 12-17-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
R5 won't work?
Bookshelfs are not a good option for dolby atmos overheads. Its best to use in-ceiling coaxial speakers if possible. You can get by with bookshelfs for heights and wides, but not overhead.

Main theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch ST screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13-Ultra x 2
Loft theater: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500

post #7444 of 7652 Old 12-17-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Bookshelfs are not a good option for dolby atmos overheads. Its best to use in-ceiling coaxial speakers if possible. You can get by with bookshelfs for heights and wides, but not overhead.
There are several of us using ceiling mounted bookshelf speakers for Atmos, myself included. I've got everything within the recommended Dolby angles and have been very pleased with the results.

My Atmos speakers are SVS Prime Satellites.
rossandwendy likes this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #7445 of 7652 Old 12-17-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ceiling speakers have never impressed me. Would hsu's new speakers coming out soon be better option? I believe they're $700 a pair. I believe they're coaxial bookies. And would run top speakers closer to the center of the listening field or more align it above the other speakers? Atmos and X will be awhile for me but trying to get perspective. I would like to replace my subs with 2 of the newer hsu's, then another amp and then by that time I'll take a dive into object based surround.
post #7446 of 7652 Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
There are several of us using ceiling mounted bookshelf speakers for Atmos, myself included. I've got everything within the recommended Dolby angles and have been very pleased with the results.

Allen do you have high ceilings? my ceilings are 8' but i haven't decided on how high my risers will be? finally did the final walk through on the new house and i should close by next Friday. got some measurements in that bonus room and it measures 22x16x8'. so i think i decided on runnig a Atmos 7.2.4 setup with my Emps but i would need to order the RB5i's for the rear surrounds and RSL's for the Atmos ceilings. i'll keep you guys posted!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 12-17-2016 at 07:12 PM.
post #7447 of 7652 Old 12-17-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i have my new towers and center set at 60 crossover. i still cant decide if i like it better than 80. bic f12 subwoofer

maybe i should try setting the center at 80 and leaving the towers at 60?

trying to find the sound i like best. toed in the towers a bit. i still havent run audyssey since i got my emps. been a couple of weeks. ran them loud playing saving private ryan and other war movies. i assume theyve broken in and should run audyssey soon.
post #7448 of 7652 Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Allen do you have high ceilings? my ceilings are 8' but i haven't decided on how high my risers will be? finally did the final walk through on the new house and i should close by next Friday. got some measurements in that bonus room and it measures 22x16x8'. so i think i decided on runnig a Atmos 7.2.4 setup with my Emps but i would need to order the RB5i's for the rear surrounds and RSL's for the Atmos ceilings. i'll keep you guys posted!
My ceilings are 10 foot in the theater, however because of the size and of the room (it's a vaulted ceiling) my rear speakers are mounted about 18in lower then my front speakers. I would try to keep all the surround speakers timbre matched. This includes both the bed and the height layer. My understanding (and my setup reflects this) is that it's not critical to match the front sound stage to the surrounds unless multi channel music is something you're interested in.

post #7449 of 7652 Old 12-18-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well it would depend on the room and of course a bookshelf can work, but the best option according to dolby is in ceilings if you did not have any room issues. Since you have high vaulted ceilings you have to work with what you can without all the modifications to use in-ceilings and the best part is you got it working for your room. But most people have flat ceilings and if that is the case then in-ceiling would be the best option.

post #7450 of 7652 Old 12-18-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is a thread you can read about people using diff speakers for in-ceilings. Some recommend def techs, some tannoy, etc. You would get better answer there than you would in this emp tek thread.

Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

post #7451 of 7652 Old 12-18-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ceiling speakers have never impressed me. Would hsu's new speakers coming out soon be better option? I believe they're $700 a pair. I believe they're coaxial bookies. And would run top speakers closer to the center of the listening field or more align it above the other speakers? Atmos and X will be awhile for me but trying to get perspective. I would like to replace my subs with 2 of the newer hsu's, then another amp and then by that time I'll take a dive into object based surround.
You say it never has impressed you. Remember we are talking strictly atmos layout here meaning just overhead speakers for atmos. Not in-ceiling surround speakers such as 5.1 or 7.1 which a bookshelf, bi/dipole, tower would do best. And you mentioned you are not doing atmos or haven't tried atmos yet so it would make no sense to get in-ceiling speakers for your situation.

post #7452 of 7652 Old 12-18-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Here is a thread you can read about people using diff speakers for in-ceilings. Some recommend def techs, some tannoy, etc. You would get better answer there than you would in this emp tek thread.

Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

i've posted in that thread as this is how i came across the RSL's. appreciate it anyways!

Quote:

like ereed mentioned there's a difference regarding normal ceiling speakers for surround and atmos ceiling speakers for atmos setup as you can see the RSL's picture i posted above are angled so you can point it towards the MLP. not looking for it to play music but more for movies. if you have not demo'd Atmos i was at first skeptical about it and when i got a chance to demo them at BestBuy which i got to hear both setups 5.2.2 and normal 5.1 using B&W's. he played the the beginning of "Unbroken." first with 5.2 and it sounded just like any other 5.1 system. than replayed the same scene with 5.2.2 and what a difference. so my impression with Atmos is it's here now and seems like every manufacturer is supporting this as most AVR's you buy now have Atmos. i will tho check out RBH and see what they have for Atmos ceiling speakers since the Emptek's are the sister company. hopefully they carry the angled style and not just a normal ceiling speaker.

hopefully i'm not trying to derail this thread into an Atmos thread but more of what Atmos speakers would compliment our Emptek Impression Series components.

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Emptek E55ti, E56ci, E55bi, 2 Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series, SHARP LC-70LE660U 70" CLASS AQUOS HD

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 12-18-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #7453 of 7652 Old 12-19-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Has anyone heard if/when the redesign of the Impression series is going to take place? Last time I spoke with Brian Tracy, he said technical problems had shelved the current attempts and he alluded to the fact that they wanted the new speakers to continue to be at a great price. Anyone hearing if the project gets traction again in 2017?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #7454 of 7652 Old 12-19-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Has anyone heard if/when the redesign of the Impression series is going to take place? Last time I spoke with Brian Tracy, he said technical problems had shelved the current attempts and he alluded to the fact that they wanted the new speakers to continue to be at a great price. Anyone hearing if the project gets traction again in 2017?
Might be awhile. Earlier this year I was told the same thing basically. They were trying to come in at a competitive price point and the attempts so far haven't allowed that. I would look at late 2017 or even 2018 if they started working back on it anytime recently.
post #7455 of 7652 Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
My ceilings are 10 foot in the theater, however because of the size and of the room (it's a vaulted ceiling) my rear speakers are mounted about 18in lower then my front speakers. I would try to keep all the surround speakers timbre matched. This includes both the bed and the height layer. My understanding (and my setup reflects this) is that it's not critical to match the front sound stage to the surrounds unless multi channel music is something you're interested in.
From what I understand, the timbre match is important for the front stage (LCR), but not important for height or surrounds. Of course R5Bi is so low cost that if I have the space, I would not mind having them as rear and surround. Height speakers would be hard for R5Bi as it is rear ported. As some member said, it would be sweet to watch House of Flying Daggers with identical surround as the front stage. The panning of the sound effect will be seamless. Anyway, I had to go for in-wall for both height and surround due to WAF, so I can only imagine how nice it would be.
post #7456 of 7652 Old 12-19-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
From what I understand, the timbre match is important for the front stage (LCR), but not important for height or surrounds. Of course R5Bi is so low cost that if I have the space, I would not mind having them as rear and surround. Height speakers would be hard for R5Bi as it is rear ported. As some member said, it would be sweet to watch House of Flying Daggers with identical surround as the front stage. The panning of the sound effect will be seamless. Anyway, I had to go for in-wall for both height and surround due to WAF, so I can only imagine how nice it would be.
With Atmos you're going to want the front sound stage timbre matched. You're also going to want to make sure that all surrounds, both bed and height layers, are timbre matched. It's a bit less important however for your front sound stage to be timbre matched to the surround speakers.

post #7457 of 7652 Old 12-19-2016, 11:00 PM

i should have picked up those ES1010i subs back when they first came out but i was running a 12" Klipsch ported sub. wanting to go .2 i know it's ideal to go with the same subs for timber matching but would going with mismatching subs be a problem?

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Emptek E55ti, E56ci, E55bi, 2 Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series, SHARP LC-70LE660U 70" CLASS AQUOS HD
post #7458 of 7652 Old 12-20-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
i should have picked up those ES1010i subs back when they first came out but i was running a 12" Klipsch ported sub. wanting to go .2 i know it's ideal to go with the same subs for timber matching but would going with mismatching subs be a problem?
I was running a 1010i with an svs nsd without a problem. Now I have it doubled up, 2 nsd and 2 1010, sounds fine to me.

The 1010i are about 3-4 times the size of the nsd.
post #7459 of 7652 Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ran a EMP10i10i and an outlaw sub for about a year. The only issue I had was the EMP sub, a very accurate sub, couldn't keep up. So I had to tame the Outlaw abit. Recently, I picked up the SVS NSD12 and it hits a bit low- but has the same issue, it cannot keep up with the Outlaw (ported versus sealed). Sound good together, however!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #7460 of 7652 Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Subs are one of those things that do not need to brand match rest of your system. If you want to brand match you can, but there are better subs out there for the money with better performance. Nothing wrong with Klipsch or emp tek subs, but depending on your budget and room size you may find better sub for the price. Look at those from svs, rythmik, hsu, etc. Just get the best sub you can afford and it will make movie experience much better. And if you have funds or plan in advance go dual subs if you have the room or get one powerful single now and add another in the future of the same sub.

post #7461 of 7652 Old 12-20-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agghh....you meant using same 2 identical subs? In that case both subs should be the same. Move the Klipsch in another room or sell it and get 2 great subs from brands mentioned above.

post #7462 of 7652 Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Agghh....you meant using same 2 identical subs? In that case both subs should be the same. Move the Klipsch in another room or sell it and get 2 great subs from brands mentioned above.

i just wasn't sure if i should spend $300 for the same sub to run .2 or pickup another better sub but still run both in the same setup? i wish i could pickup 2 more better subs but with already picking up the RB5i's for rears and the Atmos AVR $1K+, RSL's ft/rr, projector and fixed screen it's all adding up lol! so i think what i'll do is pickup a better sub like you guys are recommending and picking up the same one later next year and moving the Klipsch down into the lounge area of the basement.

post #7463 of 7652 Old 12-21-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i just wasn't sure if i should spend $300 for the same sub to run .2 or pickup another better sub but still run both in the same setup? i wish i could pickup 2 more better subs but with already picking up the RB5i's for rears and the Atmos AVR $1K+, RSL's ft/rr, projector and fixed screen it's all adding up lol! so i think what i'll do is pickup a better sub like you guys are recommending and picking up the same one later next year and moving the Klipsch down into the lounge area of the basement.
Yeah, instead of spending $300 on another cheap sub just keep what you have til you save up for a really good sub. Just focus on getting all your room done with other speakers, treatments, etc. You can add and change subs anytime, as long as you have room for a big sub and already have space for it. You really want to get the best sub you can afford (be prepared to spend close to $1000 or more for high end performance sub) Just make sure the sub isn't an old model so when you do get another it would be easy to find another one to match. Also you can check AVS classifieds and thats how I got my dual pb13 ultras for a great price.

post #7464 of 7652 Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check craigslist for the good brands. Might get lucky and find a relatively newer model sub that can dig deep and has some SPL to it. Then later on buy a new matching sub. Or get really lucky and buy two of the same sub at once. I got lucky and found a used hsu 3.3 to pair with my 2.3. was worried they wouldn't match up but they do quite well. Gain is just tuned a little lower on the bigger one.
post #7465 of 7652 Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only thing to watch for with non matching subs is output level...I ran the EMP10i10i and my Outlaw LFM-1 plus for about a year and they played fine together- the EMP had excellent mid bass and the Outlaw provided the low and great output low. However, it wasn't perfect. I had to tone down the outlaw just a bit to allow the EMP to keep up without distortion. A really fine balance. The EMP sub is a better sub for music, IMHO...so I recently moved it to my upstairs to TV/Music system and I really like it there Just a great sub, but doesn't hit as low or as loud as is optimal for SOME soundtracks in HT. I replaced the EMP10i10i with a SVS NSD12 and now I have...the same issue. The SVS can hit slightly lower than the EMP, but isn't as accurate. And it also tends to get overwhelmed by the Outlaw!

However, I did allow me to retire my Klipsch Rw12d, which I never liked very much. In fact, I have yet to hear a Klipsch sub that has impressed me!

post #7466 of 7652 Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Keep your Klipsch sub for now, and save up for a good sub like EMP I-12. One good sub always beats two poor subs.
post #7467 of 7652 Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I seriously thought about the 12" EMP sub, but it is HUGE. If you decide to get one, make a cutout before you buy.
post #7468 of 7652 Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I seriously thought about the 12" EMP sub, but it is HUGE. If you decide to get one, make a cutout before you buy.
Yes, it is. I had to use a wireless subwoofer kit to hide it at the corner. The bass is deep and clean, and I love it.
post #7469 of 7652 Old 12-24-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
As of CEDIA I was left feeling that it didn't look very good for the future of the speakers. From what I understood a major issue was in the design of the front baffle. The fix for the issue plus all the other upgrades had the price approaching (or exceeding) the lowest level options of (non-EMP lineage) RBH lines. I walked away with the impression that the project was effectively shelved. Hopefully they get it back on track, I would love to see EMP come out with something new.

Last edited by AllenA07; 12-26-2016 at 08:10 AM.
post #7470 of 7652 Old 12-25-2016, 02:37 AM

do you guys know if Emptek still has the March Madness sales each year?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems