**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 996Likes

post #7801 of 7802 Old Today, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
it set the distance of the sub at 0.3 ft from mlp, which is actually around 12 feet.
Holy hell, that means the receiver's probably been muffling the heck out of that sub all this time, the subs has probably been playing at a fraction of its output capability...NO WONDER you were having trouble with fullness/bass!

Seriously, just try turning off Audyssey and setting the levels and distances manually. It's not really "user error," I think this is about the worst case of Audyssey-generated disaster I've ever read about.

Most receivers have a "Pure Direct" mode that turns off all signal modifications but keeps the subwoofer in play---usually just a matter of pushing a button, and then again to revert to previous settings.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 7802 Old Today, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
now that i think about it when i got the empteks a few months ago i did the audyssey calibration again. apparently there was a hiccup. it set the distance of the sub at 0.3 ft from mlp, which is actually around 12 feet. i guess i could manually set the sub distance to 12 ft but not sure how that will affect everything.
The Audyssey setting for the sub isn't distance at all. It is time delay. Each subwoofer will have some sort of processing going on that delays the signal. Audyssey makes up for this with a filter shown as distance (for whatever reason). Normally, this delay sets the subwoofer at a greater number, not a lesser number. It's possible BIC isn't using any processing at all, however, I would run Audyssey again to check, or as Zorba pointed out, just set everything up without Audyssey. Audyssey is a good tool, but people have been integrating their subs far longer than Audyssey (or any bass management system) has been around.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page