**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1008Likes
post #7831 of 7852 Unread 06-11-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think they are both very good. This with the crevat that I only compared them at low volume for the vast of the time. I have BP8 towers a CLR1000 center and compared the R5bi 's to currently unused PM1000's in stereo as I did not exchange out my wall mounted BPX1.2 (I think) surrounds.

I normally use my system 99 percent of the time for Movies and TV. I did do quite a bit of music listening to round out the comparison a took some photos. I'd be happy to do a longer post with photos and specific thoughts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
I'd be happy to do a longer post with photos and specific thoughts.
Yes, please do. Always good to have as large a pool of photos and user comments as possible.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7833 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
I agree. always good to hear a "full review"...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver

post #7834 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yes, please do. Always good to have as large a pool of photos and user comments as possible.
Alright to start off we have my current curious toddler proof setup. I had to throw the rear subs on top of the fronts as she goes after any and all wires she can. The baby gate comes into play when comparing the towers. The room is open to the rest of the house on one side with vaulted ceilings. I had a issue with noticable slap echo that was fixed with GIK Acoustics absorbers high on the front and rear walls. The R56CI is resting on the DT CLR1000 the TV is a 65 Panny plasma for scale.

I ran the Audyssey calibration with the R56CI the DT's and the end result was a 80Hz crossover compared to the 60Hz for the smaller CLR1000, no disappointment with that as I understand extension was not a design goal for the speakers. I found the R56CI blended very well with the 3.5dB gain increase over the CLR1000. It was very smooth and I would say they sounded more similar that different. The R56CI is the only one that got played at medium/high volume shortly.

I did both quick A/B testing in direct mode and listening with Audyssey Dynamic EQ on Dynamic Volume light on which was minutes apart due to loading the separate .dat files back in forth to the Denon 2113ci. I very rarely listen without Audyssey DEQ/Vol on so it was seemed reasonable if made a difference. The material I used when I shortly bumped the volume up a bit was the animated movie Sing. Trust me when I say this is familiar listening material as my little girl loves it, it's always on, I've seen it more than any movie I've ever loved period. Because it's a high budget animated release about a singing competition, the makers brought there A game to the mix in my opinion. At lower volumes I heard no appreciable difference between the two speakers, these were the closest. I would put money on the R56CI as being more composed at higher volume.

And I'm out of time for now I'll be sure to add more to the valuation later.

Zorba922 likes this.
post #7835 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hello everyone. I've received a set of R55TI towers, R56CI center and R5bi bookshelves and compared them to my old Definitive Technology speakers a bit at low volumes as I have a toddler and it's a living room set up if members are interested. I understand it may be moot point as the current line is going away.
Wait the RBH R5bi are going away? Are they being upgraded? I've been out of the loop, but had been wanting to tryout the R5bis. Now I'm wondering if I should wait.
post #7836 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTEnthusiast09 View Post
Wait the RBH R5bi are going away? Are they being upgraded? I've been out of the loop, but had been wanting to tryout the R5bis. Now I'm wondering if I should wait.
That is my understanding, sorry if it's not true, but when I ordered B stock was all I could order. I'm quite impressed with the B stock and you really have to look for minor imperfections most speakers would end up with after a bit of handling eventually. Great order communication and fast shipping, higly recommended if you want to pull the trigger.

post #7837 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTEnthusiast09 View Post
We were told that RBH was "updating" the Impression series...maybe 2 years ago.

So, who knows?

If you're in the market for speakers, I'd grab them now at the -20% clearance price.

Speaker technology is quite stable, it's not like companies come out with game changing innovations every 5 years or anything, at least not without charging you an arm and a leg for it.
darthray likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7838 of 7852 Unread 06-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
If you're in the market for speakers, I'd grab them now at the -20% clearance price.

This!

I don't expect any changes that are drastic enough to cause any buyers remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Chris
R55Ti x2 R5bi R56ci RBH 15" VA-615's
(7) Crown XLS/(2) 18" Martys/(3) 12's
Marantz 7702mkII
post #7839 of 7852 Unread 06-13-2017, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
We were told that RBH was "updating" the Impression series...maybe 2 years ago.

So, who knows?

Speaker technology is quite stable, it's not like companies come out with game changing innovations every 5 years or anything, at least not without charging you an arm and a leg for it.

Looks like I ordered mine too soon. I ordered about 4 weeks ago. Definitely worth what I paid. If anyone is on the fence about buying, now is the time to jump on them with the sale. They are well worth it.
post #7840 of 7852 Unread 06-14-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry for dragging this out so much, I've been busy.

Because of the baby gates in the previous post my evaluation of the R55TI's took place with the speakers in front of the gates further out in the room than I have listened to a speaker. I never expected to have good stereo imaging with my non-symmetrical listening space. And as primarily using the system for Movies and TV I didn't care as long as center anchored the dialogue to the screen.

Wife and baby were down for the night and Daddy was having some beers with the lights down low listening to Sturgill Simpson in direct mode. To my pleasent surprise I heard really good stereo imaging. The instruments were across a wide sound stage and detailed sounding, Sturgill Simpson's voice was anchored dead middle and back a bit. Absolutely impressive.

The next day I decided I had to a/b with the R55TI'S and BP8's side by side. I couldn't believe how much better the R55TI'S sounded over the BP8'S the previous night and needed it to be a fair comparison with regards to speaker placement. I used a RadioShack spl meter a observed the 2 speakers to be pretty much the same in terms of sensitivity. With the little one down for a nap, I fired up the same tracks at around 63dB's peak at my listening position. I found out that the BP8'S imaged great too! Both speakers benefited greatly being out a unrealistic "for me" way from the wall. Did the R55TI'S image better? yes I would say so, just not by the country mile I expected. The speakers still sounded more similar than not at these low volumes to me. I would say if the R55TI'S are neutral, the BP8'S are just on the warm side of neutral.

The biggest difference to me was the R5bi's and the PM1000's, but lunch break is over.

post #7841 of 7852 Unread 06-14-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The biggest difference to me was the R5bi's and the PM1000's
Do say more, when you find the time.

You may be surprised to hear that some folks actually prefer the R5Bi over the R55ti, because they find the R5Bi to be more neutral/accurate although the R55ti obviously will have a lot more mid-bass.

post #7842 of 7852 Unread 06-16-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for dragging this out so much, I've been busy.

Because of the baby gates in the previous post my evaluation of the R55TI's took place with the speakers in front of the gates further out in the room than I have listened to a speaker. I never expected to have good stereo imaging with my non-symmetrical listening space. And as primarily using the system for Movies and TV I didn't care as long as center anchored the dialogue to the screen.

Wife and baby were down for the night and Daddy was having some beers with the lights down low listening to Sturgill Simpson in direct mode. To my pleasent surprise I heard really good stereo imaging. The instruments were across a wide sound stage and detailed sounding, Sturgill Simpson's voice was anchored dead middle and back a bit. Absolutely impressive.

The next day I decided I had to a/b with the R55TI'S and BP8's side by side. I couldn't believe how much better the R55TI'S sounded over the BP8'S the previous night and needed it to be a fair comparison with regards to speaker placement. I used a RadioShack spl meter a observed the 2 speakers to be pretty much the same in terms of sensitivity. With the little one down for a nap, I fired up the same tracks at around 63dB's peak at my listening position. I found out that the BP8'S imaged great too! Both speakers benefited greatly being out a unrealistic "for me" way from the wall. Did the R55TI'S image better? yes I would say so, just not by the country mile I expected. The speakers still sounded more similar than not at these low volumes to me. I would say if the R55TI'S are neutral, the BP8'S are just on the warm side of neutral.

The biggest difference to me was the R5bi's and the PM1000's, but lunch break is over.

Thanks for the update! nice set up...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #7843 of 7852 Unread 06-16-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Thanks for the update! nice set up...
Thanks Elihawk,

I poked around in this sub for a little bit and as I recall you are an Iowa Hawkeye. I was born and raised in Iowa until eventually relocating to the Pacific Northwest, there's not many of us Iowans so we have that in common.

The R5bi's and the PM1000's were physically the most similar of the group with 5.25" mids and 1" tweeters with R5bi's being ported and the PM1000's having a bass radiator. And yet they were the most dissimilar of the comparison to my ears. While the R5bi's we're half the cost of the PM1000's, I really preferd them. The R5bi's appreciably imaged better and sounded more neutral. The PM1000's sounded like the mids were voiced to stand out more/more forward/slightly "honky" by comparison. Not that they're bad speakers, but at 2x the cost the just seemed like a Ok speaker by comparison. Again this was only at low volumes so take that it into consideration. Good job RBH for making such a good speaker for so little.

BTW, I order a set of the RBH bipoles today. I didn't see them available when I ordered the others and they're a fantastic deal with the sale going on right now. I never intended to replace my bipole DT surrounds with the R5bi's for aesthetic reasons. But the RBH bipoles should fit the bill nicely. I encourage anyone on the fence to take advantage of the impression series sale now while they're available at such great price.

I'll try to do some higher volume listening test as the opportunity allows, it's a pretty good workout for now hauling the RBH speakers from the dining room into the living room for comparisons​.

post #7844 of 7852 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Thanks Elihawk,

I poked around in this sub for a little bit and as I recall you are an Iowa Hawkeye. I was born and raised in Iowa until eventually relocating to the Pacific Northwest, there's not many of us Iowans so we have that in common.

The R5bi's and the PM1000's were physically the most similar of the group with 5.25" mids and 1" tweeters with R5bi's being ported and the PM1000's having a bass radiator. And yet they were the most dissimilar of the comparison to my ears. While the R5bi's we're half the cost of the PM1000's, I really preferd them. The R5bi's appreciably imaged better and sounded more neutral. The PM1000's sounded like the mids were voiced to stand out more/more forward/slightly "honky" by comparison. Not that they're bad speakers, but at 2x the cost the just seemed like a Ok speaker by comparison. Again this was only at low volumes so take that it into consideration. Good job RBH for making such a good speaker for so little.

BTW, I order a set of the RBH bipoles today. I didn't see them available when I ordered the others and they're a fantastic deal with the sale going on right now. I never intended to replace my bipole DT surrounds with the R5bi's for aesthetic reasons. But the RBH bipoles should fit the bill nicely. I encourage anyone on the fence to take advantage of the impression series sale now while they're available at such great price.

I'll try to do some higher volume listening test as the opportunity allows, it's a pretty good workout for now hauling the RBH speakers from the dining room into the living room for comparisons​.

How are you liking that center channel? It's on sale now for $241. I would only get the bookshelves to match and not the towers so not sure if those would match well or not.

Does the center have clean dialogue? Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!!
post #7845 of 7852 Unread Yesterday, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
How are you liking that center channel? It's on sale now for $241. I would only get the bookshelves to match and not the towers so not sure if those would match well or not.

Does the center have clean dialogue? Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!!
Well I'm not using the RBH speakers full time yet, but I did give my impression vs the def tech CLR1000 center.

For mainly watching TV & movies with a good sub/s you could definitely go with the R56ci and the R5bi's left and right, I wouldn't call the audio police on you. I'm definitely a believer in the center channel speaker being the most important speaker. The R56ci is a real bargain.

post #7846 of 7852 Unread Yesterday, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hello everyone,

Happy Fathers Day to all!

I found myself without child and wife last night for a little bit and took the rare opportunity to bring out the towers for some high volume listening. I set my Denon 2113ci to 0dB and used the volume control on my phone using google play music app. I brought the volume up all the way on occasion but mostly had a bit of mercy on mine and the dogs ears most of the time getting about 90% of max volume. This is not a sane volume for me and better suited to a frat party of EDM concert for younger people in altered states, but I wanted to test it out.

This was 2 channel only without subs. I know it's only shot with a smartphone, but you might get small idea of the volume these speakers can play at. Hard to believe the def techs with two 5.25 drivers can keep up, but they can. I would say though the R55ti's seemed more composed and listenable at these crazy volumes. At one point the song does something weird with phase when the word "Ok" is repeated and it bounces to the left and right of your head with the RBH, but not with the DT's. Both very good speakers, but the RBH's scored some bonus points.

post #7847 of 7852 Unread Yesterday, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Elihawk,

Always good to talk to another Hawkeye! Something is a brewing with RBH, I wonder if they have finally redesigned Impression line? Thanks for the speaker comparison

post #7848 of 7852 Unread Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Always good to talk to another Hawkeye! Something is a brewing with RBH, I wonder if they have finally redesigned Impression line? Thanks for the speaker comparison
Well if I was them, I might consider a larger R5bi with a 6" midbass tuned to blend really well with a sub at 80Hz. That might sale very well, I really like the towers but there's plenty of people that prefer to match medium size bookshelves to subs over towers. Just a thought, they clearly understand speaker design out there.

Zorba922 likes this.

Last edited by toddRiffic; Yesterday at 09:03 PM.
post #7849 of 7852 Unread Today, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Please continue to update this thread as you find time. I have similar older DefTech's (BP7004 or BP7006, forget which and CLR2300) and have been getting the itch to upgrade. Plus I'd love to simplify (for the family) wiring/power cords by not having powered woofers. Two of the main contenders are the new Chane's about to be released and the RBH center and towers you just got. Hard to pass up the price they are currently at, but if they aren't a big upgrade, maybe I'll wait a while longer before deciding.
post #7850 of 7852 Unread Today, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
Please continue to update this thread as you find time. I have similar older DefTech's (BP7004 or BP7006, forget which and CLR2300) and have been getting the itch to upgrade. Plus I'd love to simplify (for the family) wiring/power cords by not having powered woofers. Two of the main contenders are the new Chane's about to be released and the RBH center and towers you just got. Hard to pass up the price they are currently at, but if they aren't a big upgrade, maybe I'll wait a while longer before deciding.
I know the RBH are a very good speaker for the price...however, you have to ask. What did I pay for the Def Tech? What am I paying for the RBH? While there are some examples of crappy expensive speakers and some examples of really good cheap speakers, for the most part, you get a certain quality at each price range (given the couple excepts). When I google Def Tech BP7004/6 I see a price listed a s 499 and 599/speaker, back in 2010. I think it might be a bit much to ask for the RBH to be better than a speaker that was 1.5x the cost 8 years ago.

post #7851 of 7852 Unread Today, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 66
True, I guess maybe I've been getting wrapped in too many people dumping on DefTech, more so for inflating specs on their woofers than overall quality I hope. I actually like the speakers, but have been getting the itch to upgrade since everything else is much newer. It would be nice to not have 3 speakers plugged in. I've been trying to simplify things for the wife and right now I have two different power conditioners just for the number of outlets.
post #7852 of 7852 Unread Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
True, I guess maybe I've been getting wrapped in too many people dumping on DefTech, more so for inflating specs on their woofers than overall quality I hope. I actually like the speakers, but have been getting the itch to upgrade since everything else is much newer. It would be nice to not have 3 speakers plugged in. I've been trying to simplify things for the wife and right now I have two different power conditioners just for the number of outlets.
Well, the RBH speakers look great, aren't powered so more simple to location and if they sound AS good, you have upgraded in some respects. You might be able to recover a few shekels for the Def Tech, a known brand name, by selling them locally...
I just wouldn't expect a huge upgrade (if any) with a speaker that cost less than the BP did, 8 years ago!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems