**Official EMP Owner's Thread** - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1016Likes

post #7861 of 7884 Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
I gotta admit a part of me wants to try that center. The other more rational part of me thinks that it would be overkill for my smaller room and would overpower my bookshelf speakers.
I love my EMP center, it pairs perfectly with my towers. If you have EMP bookshelf speakers I would go ahead and grab the center. As Zorba said, levels can be adjusted.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 7884 Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Any update on when the new Impression line will be out?
post #7863 of 7884 Old 07-15-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello all, I've had a couple of opportunities to get the R5Bi's out and listen to them along with
doing some REW measurements with a miniDSP UM1k mic.I did another round of the R5Bi's a/b'd with def tech PM1000's at louder volumes.

On tracks like Weezer's Island In The Sun, Paul Simon's Kodachrome and the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams, I all
around prefered the R5Bi's smooth sound and great imaging. On Eminem's My Name Is, the PM1000's was more composed with their passive radiators vs the ported R5Bi's sounding like it
was about at it's limits with the woofers working a bit too hard and perhaps some cabinet resonance. Now this is 2.0 full range direct mode and I would never normally listen in this way when I have medium size room that is part of a much larger open floor plan when I have four subs to do the heavy lifting.

I've also seen because of the great reputation the R5Bi has it ends up being compared to other well reviewed (and larger) bookshelves. I don't have any new competitors but I have PSB 300 bookshelves I've been using in the master bedroom. Some of you may remember the original PSB Alpha bookshelves where all the rage years ago as the go to value audiophile speaker when it came out. The 300 made at the same time as the Alpha was to me was the Alpha with more and deeper bass. Here's a graph of their response in my living room at mlp.

http://i.imgur.com/cUUIG9Y.jpg

I also ran a quick Audyssey calibration on my Denon 2113 separately with the R5bi's and the 300 as mains and it picked 120Hz and 60Hz as the crossover respectively that's what prompted me to dig out my mic.

My living room has big 35Hz room mode when speakers are flanking the TV and measured at the mlp that really helped the PSB measure lower than it has a right to. It wasn't quite as unfair in my master bedroom.

http://i.imgur.com/KOtovrr.jpg

Listening to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo with R5bi's in the master bedroom was the highlight of the day. It really wowed me listening near field with them just sitting on the stand below the TV hardly separated. Switching back to the PSB's was good too, just not as much if you don't count the extra bass.

Overall listening to the little R5Bi and the bigger 300 was pretty close with the R5Bi doing a little better all around except for the bass. It wasn't even close, it might as well been competing against a tower. I'd have to think if no matter how good the R5Bi is, it'd be a tough hill to climb beating out a bigger bookshelve strictly head to head and if you're going to use a sub anyway, that might not be the best way to decide the winner.

Don't be fooled by this pic, the PSB is bigger and heavier than what it appears in the image.

http://i.imgur.com/SwmWIs9.jpg

Also, as demonstration of speaker positioning and it's effects. Here's the R5bi's measured at my living room mlp with the speakers moved no more than 2 feet in any direction between measurements. Perhaps the Denon Audyssey calibration combo would have picked a 80Hz crossover for the R5bi's

http://i.imgur.com/g9zgL9X.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

post #7864 of 7884 Old 07-15-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
^ I would never, ever even THINK of listening to the R5Bi without a subwoofer. They simply weren't designed for it. I suspect that's why they're so inexpensive, and with a sub, punch way above their pricepoint.
dsrussell likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7865 of 7884 Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
^ I would never, ever even THINK of listening to the R5Bi without a subwoofer. They simply weren't designed for it. I suspect that's why they're so inexpensive, and with a sub, punch way above their pricepoint.
Yeah, I could definitely match the R5Bi's to a good inexpensive sub and get more satisfying results many booksheves that cost more without a sub. They may be rated to 60Hz but there's a reason most of us buy subs for sub 80Hz content.

post #7866 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First time poster in this thread. Not an audiophile and really an avs novice....

Just made my first upgrade from my old HTIB (Sony HDX900W) to the rbh R55Ti towers (2) and R56Ci center (1) . Price including shipping for B-stock items was $661. Read tonnes of reviews and had actually been thinking of making the jump for the past couple years, but new expenses kept taking priority. Now I will take the time to upgrade to a proper receiver and some rears.

How did I do?

What would be a good choice for the rears to save up for. (the R5bi are all gone). thanks!
post #7867 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by WabbaJ View Post
First time poster in this thread. Not an audiophile and really an avs novice....

Just made my first upgrade from my old HTIB (Sony HDX900W) to the rbh R55Ti towers (2) and R56Ci center (1) . Price including shipping for B-stock items was $661. Read tonnes of reviews and had actually been thinking of making the jump for the past couple years, but new expenses kept taking priority. Now I will take the time to upgrade to a proper receiver and some rears.

How did I do?

What would be a good choice for the rears to save up for. (the R5bi are all gone). thanks!
Welcome, WabbaJ and I hope you enjoy your speakers. No one but your ears can tell you how you did, but I think most on this thread would say you got a great deal. The EMP (now RBH) Impression series speakers are about as good as you can get for the money...
I am not sure you have to match your rear speakers to the fronts, unless you are a big fan of multichannel music...so you could get buy with the HTIB speakers for awhile. However, if your old Sony doesn't allow you to set individual crossovers, you may run into some issues with the Htib speakers not being able to handle some of the content.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #7868 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Welcome, WabbaJ and I hope you enjoy your speakers. No one but your ears can tell you how you did, but I think most on this thread would say you got a great deal. The EMP (now RBH) Impression series speakers are about as good as you can get for the money...
I am not sure you have to match your rear speakers to the fronts, unless you are a big fan of multichannel music...so you could get buy with the HTIB speakers for awhile. However, if your old Sony doesn't allow you to set individual crossovers, you may run into some issues with the Htib speakers not being able to handle some of the content.
Thanks for the reply Eli.

I'll be using the old Sony HTIB until I have all the parts for my system using the R55Ti and R56Ci. I am guessing that would mean a subwoofer, a good receiver and a pair of rears.

I'll keep an eye on the local classifieds and slickdeals to see if anything worthy pops up.

I'm of course also interested in what members here may recommend me to complete the setup.
post #7869 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Keep your eye on newegg.com where they carry the Klipsch RB-10, regularly for $100/pair shipped and sometimes on sale for as little as $70/pair. They're small but have high sensitivity and plenty of detail so would be fine for surrounds.
Madmax67 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7870 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Need help pulling the trigger!

I am close to pulling the trigger on the R55Ti towers x 4! They are now at a clearance price of $243 with free shipping and the matching R56Ci center is $175. $1147 for a seemingly solid 5 channel set up. They are sold out of the matching bookshelf speaker so that is why I am considering an additional pair of towers. Is that goofy/crazy? They told me I could use the center as a surround. Not sure how it would sound if it was placed vertical vs. horizontal? I have a Marantz 6005 that I will be upgrading in the near future because I want to be able to push these. Should I consider something else (different company?) for rears? I will also want to place 4 surrounds in the ceiling to go Atmos. My main concern is with dispersion. I was really interested in the KEF Q900 series and that 5 channel set up would cost $2250. They had me with their UniQ marketing. I currently have over a dozen in wall/ceiling, pointable/aimable Speaker Craft speakers and I was worried about having an even sound out of a cheaper speaker. Kef seems to market to this specifically. Zorba turned me on to the Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 Mains, Center and CBM 70 bookshelves. With matching tower stands and shipping, the 5 channel AA set will cost $1344. Can anyone speak to the off-axis listening issue with RBH? Ascend says their CMTs have a wide dispersion tweeter from Finland that makes all the difference. They also told me 340 for rears would be overkill. This would be for HT use as well as loud music. I made my first ever post on AVS yesterday and barfed out all of my issues on a thread titled “Newbie Needing Help with new Garage HT install” in case you have any other questions or want more details about my Garage set up and budget. I now have a contact at both RBH (Jayce) and AA (Dina), both very friendly and helpful. Would love to nail my 5 channel purchase this week so I can move on to subs! I’ll have more money now if I bail on KEF Q900s. P.S. I have been torturing myself over the last 2 months researching all of this speaker stuff and my head is spinning and eyes are bleeding. I am totally fatigued and would appreciate some help getting me to man up and pull the trigger!
post #7871 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitto11 View Post
I am close to pulling the trigger on the R55Ti towers x 4! They are now at a clearance price of $243 with free shipping and the matching R56Ci center is $175. $1147 for a seemingly solid 5 channel set up. They are sold out of the matching bookshelf speaker so that is why I am considering an additional pair of towers. Is that goofy/crazy? They told me I could use the center as a surround. Not sure how it would sound if it was placed vertical vs. horizontal? I have a Marantz 6005 that I will be upgrading in the near future because I want to be able to push these. Should I consider something else (different company?) for rears? I will also want to place 4 surrounds in the ceiling to go Atmos. My main concern is with dispersion. I was really interested in the KEF Q900 series and that 5 channel set up would cost $2250. They had me with their UniQ marketing. I currently have over a dozen in wall/ceiling, pointable/aimable Speaker Craft speakers and I was worried about having an even sound out of a cheaper speaker. Kef seems to market to this specifically. Zorba turned me on to the Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 Mains, Center and CBM 70 bookshelves. With matching tower stands and shipping, the 5 channel AA set will cost $1344. Can anyone speak to the off-axis listening issue with RBH? Ascend says their CMTs have a wide dispersion tweeter from Finland that makes all the difference. They also told me 340 for rears would be overkill. This would be for HT use as well as loud music. I made my first ever post on AVS yesterday and barfed out all of my issues on a thread titled “Newbie Needing Help with new Garage HT install” in case you have any other questions or want more details about my Garage set up and budget. I now have a contact at both RBH (Jayce) and AA (Dina), both very friendly and helpful. Would love to nail my 5 channel purchase this week so I can move on to subs! I’ll have more money now if I bail on KEF Q900s. P.S. I have been torturing myself over the last 2 months researching all of this speaker stuff and my head is spinning and eyes are bleeding. I am totally fatigued and would appreciate some help getting me to man up and pull the trigger!
You can't go wrong with either choice. However, because of your 2 kids' potential safety issues, I'd get the Ascend setup with the sand fillable stands up front. The other advantage of the Ascends is that they are not rolled off so for HT they'd be a bit more dynamic, plus they're higher sensitivity so they'd play louder on the same power than the RBH.

The only time you'd need to have 340s as surrounds is if you plan to use all-channel stereo, which would be if you had the speakers in a huge room and plan to throw a giant dance party where you'd want every part of the room to hear the exact same speaker. Otherwise of course the 170 or 200 would be fine as surrounds.

Same applies to the RBH setup...if you bought their bundled front stage, you'd be fine using using speakers like the 170 or 200 as surrounds.

post #7872 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Keep your eye on newegg.com where they carry the Klipsch RB-10, regularly for $100/pair shipped and sometimes on sale for as little as $70/pair. They're small but have high sensitivity and plenty of detail so would be fine for surrounds.
Thanks Zorba. Will keep an eye on those.

I'm a novice as I mentioned, so the order in which I need things would be:

1. Good receiver (will look for a good brand used on local ads - onyko, denon, yamaha)
2. Front L,R speakers (done, R55Tix2)
3. Center channel (done, R65Ci)
4. Rears (possible option is the Klipsch RB-10)
5. Subwoofer (not sure which to get)

Would that make this home theater project complete?

Thanks for your help.
post #7873 of 7884 Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Zorba. Will keep an eye on those.

I'm a novice as I mentioned, so the order in which I need things would be:

1. Good receiver (will look for a good brand used on local ads - onyko, denon, yamaha)
2. Front L,R speakers (done, R55Tix2)
3. Center channel (done, R65Ci)
4. Rears (possible option is the Klipsch RB-10)
5. Subwoofer (not sure which to get)

Would that make this home theater project complete?
1. Look at the authorized refurbs at accessories4less.com for your AVR. I wouldn't spend more than $200-400...Yamaha has the best reliability record.
5. If you have the space, the RBH I-12 on clearance for $419 shipped is the best bang for the buck right now. Next step up would be the Hsu VTF-2 at $603 shipped.

post #7874 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
1. Look at the authorized refurbs at accessories4less.com for your AVR. I wouldn't spend more than $200-400...Yamaha has the best reliability record.
5. If you have the space, the RBH I-12 on clearance for $419 shipped is the best bang for the buck right now. Next step up would be the Hsu VTF-2 at $603 shipped.
Thanks again Zobra. Appreciate your time and suggestions.

I've been reading that regarding receivers, the wattage is generally meaningless. Any 'watts per channel' cut-off I should stay above though?
post #7875 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hey, I actually have some R5bi bookshelves (new b-stock and still sealed in the box) that I will probably sell... I live quite close to RBH, and purchased 4 pair back in March, but will likely end up only using 1 or 2 pair because I decided to use the EmpTek E3b / E3c speakers for my kids game room instead of these. I'll check with RBH to see if the warranty can transfer if I sell these.

Let me know if you're interested in purchasing a pair or 2...

Thanks
post #7876 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrob104 View Post
Hey, I actually have some R5bi bookshelves (new b-stock and still sealed in the box) that I will probably sell... I live quite close to RBH, and purchased 4 pair back in March, but will likely end up only using 1 or 2 pair because I decided to use the EmpTek E3b / E3c speakers for my kids game room instead of these. I'll check with RBH to see if the warranty can transfer if I sell these.

Thanks

Ha! I am in Syracuse.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darrob104 likes this.

~Chris
R55Ti x2 R5bi R56ci RBH 15" VA-615's
(7) Crown XLS/(2) 18" Martys/(3) 12's
Marantz 7702mkII
post #7877 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post
Ha! I am in Syracuse.!
I'm in west Layton... on the road to Syracuse... lol!
post #7878 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Haha we should be friends.. RBH friends.. :creepy: lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darrob104 likes this.

~Chris
R55Ti x2 R5bi R56ci RBH 15" VA-615's
(7) Crown XLS/(2) 18" Martys/(3) 12's
Marantz 7702mkII
post #7879 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Hehhe, I'm actually in upstate NY as well.

I'll send you a PM though.
post #7880 of 7884 Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been reading that regarding receivers, the wattage is generally meaningless. Any 'watts per channel' cut-off I should stay above though?
Yeah, the more relevant receiver specs IMO are whether it can handle low impedance (4ohms) speakers, and its weight (unless it's got class D amps). The rest is just sales BS and gimmickry.

The heavier the receiver = the beefier the power supplies = the higher the CURRENT which translates into real-world performance especially for music listening. Personally I would want any class AB receiver I buy to weigh at least 28lbs and up.

If you're using average sensitivity speakers (87-91db range) and not blasting your speakers every day, 90% of mass market receivers will be fine.

post #7881 of 7884 Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Hehhe, I'm actually in upstate NY as well.

I'll send you a PM though.
Ah, good to know. I live in Rochester. I'm running 7 emp, 2 svs and 2 polk (rear height) in 5.4.4
post #7882 of 7884 Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't find West Layton, it is north of Lyons?
post #7883 of 7884 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I can't find West Layton, it is north of Lyons?
Layton, Utah... same city that RBH is headquartered in... There's a town just west of us called Syracuse, not to be confused with Syracuse in New York (or elsewhere)...
post #7884 of 7884 Old Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Layton, Utah... same city that RBH is headquartered in... There's a town just west of us called Syracuse, not to be confused with Syracuse in New York (or elsewhere)...
Who knew, 2 upstates with a Syracuse and a Layton rd. I think my nephew went to school somewhere near your Layton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page