Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #901 of 3345 Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^^^ hahah, my buddy actually picked up a BOSE setup. It's a complete joke. They paid $1200 for 2 small speakers and a little sub. They are the type that buy whatever is the most expensive at BB.

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3345 Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

Close to the same size as my room. 20x21 and about 3,000 cubic feet. Let me know what you think. If these can be placed close to the wall without hurting the performance, may just have to pull the trigger.

I've had them in a corner pretty close to a wall and 60 inch DLP TV, and I don't think it really "hurt performance" in the sense of making them "boomy".

That said, no speaker really "wants" nearby objects or boundaries like that.
post #903 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

I was looking to buy some NHT speakers because of the BF sale but was told to go with Focal over them. Now that I've read all 30 pages of this thread I'm interested in these speakers. I saw the sale on Audioholics for the BF sale, but didn't think about them as a contender (just cause of the price).
How do the E55ti sound when placed close to the wall? In my room they would need to be pretty close, currently my speakers are about 6" from the wall.
I just bought my BIC setup not too long ago. Was going to go with Klipsch but was told that the BIC's would out perform the Klipsch unless I wanted to spend thousands more. I went from Polk Monitor 50's with a CS1 and then upgraded to Monitor 70's with CS2. Still wasn't happy with my setup so thats why I went to a horn loaded tower to try them out. Been through all these setups in less than 2 years. Looking to get a nice HT setup that will last me at least a few years.

Mine are anywhere from 6-8 inches away from my wall, depending on if you measure from the rear middle or rear corners of the speaker. They sound fantastic. If you look in almost any speaker manual or speaker manufacturer's website, a lot of them recommend some ungodly distance to have your speakers away from the wall. A lot of them recommend anywhere from 18-24 inches. Obviously, this is best because walls tend to reflect audio into all kinds of directions. However, I don't know anyone that is able to have a clean 2 feet behind their speakers from every direction, except people who have a large, dedicated theater room and have a lot of room to play with.

If you look through the home theater galleries on this site, you'll find that most people have theirs near a wall or anywhere from 6-12 inches away. That's usually what is the most practical for the average person, who doesn't have a gigantic theater room. Toeing the speaker inward a slight amount will also help combat reflections if you must place the speaker close to the wall. Keep in mind, most companies say, you'll achieve the best performance from your speaker when it's placed far away from any walls, not that the sound won't be good, necessarily, just that it is better when the speaker is open and away from any obstruction.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #904 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
That GrantedEV MOD at HomeTheaterShack that has these and has nothing but good things to say about them stated that RBH/EMP handled the BSC properly. Again, I'll have to find the exact words from him, but he stated he's got his about 8-10" from the wall. These are already a little bass anemic from what I hear (..thats a good thing if you ask me! 99% of budget speakers follow the klipsch/polk methodology...boom and sizzle! Lots of 5kHz+ and lots of 100hz and lower) and with a large open room you could be loosing up to 6db's if the BSC isn't compensated for. I'll have mine about 8" or so away from the wall also MrEastSide. Seems like you have some walls on either side of you which might be helping your bass response, but hopefully reflections aren't hurting ya too bad. Ever thought about putting up some room treatments?

So I figured I'd make some cables btw. Ordered:

100' of 12 awg (in-wall w/ jacket)
3/8" Techflex
Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs
Some Heatshrink b/c I can't remember if I have any or not lol
Was going to get some cable pants also...but decided I'll just do the heatshrink instead

Also, anyone receive any shipping info yet? I still haven't received mine. I know they said they'd start shipping out next week so I figured I'd get a notice at some point.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #905 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm hoping they've put together everything this week/weekend & start shipping Monday
post #906 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Does anyone know, referring to the E5 and E55tis- is the phase plug on those real and functional, or not? The audioholics review of the speaker says yes, but people on this site say not likely.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #907 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Does anyone know, referring to the E5 and E55tis- is the phase plug on those real and functional, or not? The audioholics review of the speaker says yes, but people on this site say not likely.

It's a real, non-moving phase plug. If it's needed....depends on what manuf. you ask smile.gif

post #908 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Mine are anywhere from 6-8 inches away from my wall, depending on if you measure from the rear middle or rear corners of the speaker. They sound fantastic. If you look in almost any speaker manual or speaker manufacturer's website, a lot of them recommend some ungodly distance to have your speakers away from the wall. A lot of them recommend anywhere from 18-24 inches. Obviously, this is best because walls tend to reflect audio into all kinds of directions. However, I don't know anyone that is able to have a clean 2 feet behind their speakers from every direction, except people who have a large, dedicated theater room and have a lot of room to play with.
If you look through the home theater galleries on this site, you'll find that most people have theirs near a wall or anywhere from 6-12 inches away. That's usually what is the most practical for the average person, who doesn't have a gigantic theater room. Toeing the speaker inward a slight amount will also help combat reflections if you must place the speaker close to the wall. Keep in mind, most companies say, you'll achieve the best performance from your speaker when it's placed far away from any walls, not that the sound won't be good, necessarily, just that it is better when the speaker is open and away from any obstruction.

These would be going in my living room. So I wouldn't want them sticking way out in the room. Plus have a 100lb Doberman and a 60lb English Bulldog who both love to play. So closer to the wall is obviously better. Is there any way to mount the center channel? or is it best left sitting on a stand or table?

I wouldn't mind picking up a extra set of towers for my game room. For music when I have parties. The legs on the bottom keep them stable right? Has anyones tipped over?

Living Room

Game Room
post #909 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

I've had them in a corner pretty close to a wall and 60 inch DLP TV, and I don't think it really "hurt performance" in the sense of making them "boomy".
That said, no speaker really "wants" nearby objects or boundaries like that.

Can you really notice the "boomy" sound even with a subwoofer?

Living Room

Game Room
post #910 of 3345 Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These would be going in my living room. So I wouldn't want them sticking way out in the room. Plus have a 100lb Doberman and a 60lb English Bulldog who both love to play. So closer to the wall is obviously better. Is there any way to mount the center channel? or is it best left sitting on a stand or table?
I wouldn't mind picking up a extra set of towers for my game room. For music when I have parties. The legs on the bottom keep them stable right? Has anyones tipped over?

The large center is VERY LARGE! LOL! You'd have to build some kind of a shelf to mount it. If you were good with things like that, I'm sure it's possible. I don't use the spikes on the bottom of my speakers, I have them on carpet and they're very stable.
Quote:

When I first got my towers, I had them within a couple inches of the wall. I wouldn't describe the sound as boomy, but kind of muffled. Moving them away from the wall made all the difference. So they're about 6-8 inches away now.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #911 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I put the sub into the system last night, over to the right of the projector screen since it is too tall to be in the center. When I calibrated my Yamaha 867 (corrected), all the speakers showed out of phase except one! Hmm, it must be the polarity of the sub. Flip that and recalibrate, same results.

The e5ti and center show as small after this calibration, but my Polk 40 surrounds show as large. I think they were all large last time I ran it. I have the crossover at 80 on the sub and the receiver set it to 80, I'm not sure if calibration did that or if it was set before.

I've had single speakers out of phase before, but never most of them. I did not rewire anything. The only difference besides the sub is there are a bunch of large plants that are inside since it is winter.

Any words of wisdom besides replace the polks?
post #912 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Try completely unhooking the sub and run again? See if they all show normal again. I don't see why a sub would cause that. Or try removing one speaker at a time and run again and see when and if the results come back normal. One of your speakers could be wired wrong internally, which would be an easy fix.

If you determine it only does it with the sub hooked up, you might e-mail emp tek and ask for suggestions, their support is great.

You might also ask in the receiver forum in the official support thread for your receiver if there is one. Otherwise, one of the similar Yamaha receiver threads may be able to help. Could be something to do with your particular receiver. I know when I switched receivers once, the old receiver brought back normal results and when I switched to the new receiver, the new one came back out of phase when all I had done was switch receivers.

Quote:
post #913 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Swap polarity on one speaker a
& recalibrate. Let us know what happens

post #914 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, the receiver forum is pretty dead. All that was changed was the sub, everything else is the same. Prior calibrations never had a speaker out of phase.

The out of phase thing is what bothers me the most, in the past it would be one out, but this time it's one in... Doesn't that imply that 6 are in phase and one is out? I will try moving the plants first and see if that is effecting the reflections. I was told that sometimes the calibration software gets confused.

Now that I look at the phase dial, I am totally confused. Isn't phase this or that, or or 180? How can you have gradation? Where should it be for calibration? I had the Velodyne at 180.

It sounded fine with odd calibration, but the level seemed a bit lower than before. I tested it using the first battle scene of Master and Commander, I could feel the sub at my back! That has never happened before.

Where should the sub volume be for calibration? I had it straight up.

I feel like a noob on sub #5...
post #915 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Thanks, the receiver forum is pretty dead. All that was changed was the sub, everything else is the same. Prior calibrations never had a speaker out of phase.
The out of phase thing is what bothers me the most, in the past it would be one out, but this time it's one in... Doesn't that imply that 6 are in phase and one is out? I will try moving the plants first and see if that is effecting the reflections. I was told that sometimes the calibration software gets confused.

Yeah that's kinda weird. What has changed since the last tune? Just the sub and tune? Have you added anything else, anything that might be causing reflections close by?

Now that I look at the phase dial, I am totally confused. Isn't phase this or that, or or 180?

Nope. Phase differences can be adjusted by small increments. Polarity is what you're thinking of. They are NOT the same

How can you have gradation? Where should it be for calibration? I had the Velodyne at 180.

There's a few things you can do to find out where your "in phase" ...or close to it...but I'll get to those procedures later. I don't know too much about YPAO, even though I've got a Yamaha. I know that YPAO doesn't EQ the sub, so maybe it's not a sub issue. I'm not sure if it checks for other things though on the sub. Sorry..not much of a help there. Phase will never be "right or wrong". Phase differs with frequency so don't think about getting it the "perfect".

A VERY simplified version of testing would be to use a pink noise/sine wave of the frequency of the x-over being used....switch phase and whichever is louder (use SPL meter if you can as our ears SUUUCK down here) is "better" in a sense.

It sounded fine with odd calibration, but the level seemed a bit lower than before. I tested it using the first battle scene of Master and Commander, I could feel the sub at my back! That has never happened before.
Where should the sub volume be for calibration? I had it straight up.
I feel like a noob on sub #5...

Sub gain on calibration is usually supposed to be lower than what you'd normally listen at. Then you can turn it back up after the EQ....BUTTTTT.....I don't think YPAO EQ's the sub so not sure it matters. Don't know if it does on the 873 though

post #916 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I guess I had wishful thinking for the 873, it is an 867, a couple of models old. Thanks for the input, I will retry!
post #917 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

The large center is VERY LARGE! LOL! You'd have to build some kind of a shelf to mount it. If you were good with things like that, I'm sure it's possible. I don't use the spikes on the bottom of my speakers, I have them on carpet and they're very stable.
When I first got my towers, I had them within a couple inches of the wall. I wouldn't describe the sound as boomy, but kind of muffled. Moving them away from the wall made all the difference. So they're about 6-8 inches away now.

Thanks for the quick response. It's nice being a part of a forum that you actually get real answers.

For music, do these NEED a subwoofer or do they have decent amount of bass? This would be for parties, so rock, older rap, etc.. Is the Dual EMP subs good for music? They look awesome!

Living Room

Game Room
post #918 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. It's nice being a part of a forum that you actually get real answers.

For music, do these NEED a subwoofer or do they have decent amount of bass? This would be for parties, so rock, older rap, etc.. Is the Dual EMP subs good for music? They look awesome!

biggrin.gif

As far as if they'd need a sub...that's up to you. I always like to have a sub to fill in the lower octaves. The next thing would be "what's your budget?". Again, "good" is a loose term and what some might find amazing, others might find lacking/sub-par. I had a pa-120, which I would assume had a little more SPL than the es1010i (not sure though...can't find any measurements on the pa-120, just the pa-150) and I didn't like it AT ALL. VERY boomy and didn't handle anything very well lol. By my calculations it's tuned around 38-40hz, which is horrible. Didn't pay much for it ($70 I believe), but I wouldn't pay that again if that tells you anything. I've been spoiled by my car though so I'll have to step it up for the home to be happy.

Okay...rambling off.....what's your budget?

post #919 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You misread what I said.

I was suggesting the EMPs just about never sound boomy.
post #920 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

biggrin.gif
As far as if they'd need a sub...that's up to you. I always like to have a sub to fill in the lower octaves. The next thing would be "what's your budget?". Again, "good" is a loose term and what some might find amazing, others might find lacking/sub-par. I had a pa-120, which I would assume had a little more SPL than the es1010i (not sure though...can't find any measurements on the pa-120, just the pa-150) and I didn't like it AT ALL. VERY boomy and didn't handle anything very well lol. By my calculations it's tuned around 38-40hz, which is horrible. Didn't pay much for it ($70 I believe), but I wouldn't pay that again if that tells you anything. I've been spoiled by my car though so I'll have to step it up for the home to be happy.
Okay...rambling off.....what's your budget?

Don't really have a budget in mind. I have a PL-200 that I'm not using. So I could use that. I was only thinking about buying them for my game room, if they went on another good sale. Possibly pick up some b stock ones. Has anyone heard the bookshelf speakers from EMP? how are they? The game room setup only gets used 1-2 times a month.

Living Room

Game Room
post #921 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The speakers sound fine on their own, however, I feel that any brand of towers benefit greatly from a sub. A sub can, obviously, just do so much more than any little 6 inch subwoofer in a tower.

Quote:
post #922 of 3345 Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For music, these speakers do very well w/o a subwoofer (I have the e5tis). For HT, a sub will be important!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #923 of 3345 Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

For music, these speakers do very well w/o a subwoofer (I have the e5tis). For HT, a sub will be important!

I have a Outlaw sub right now. So maybe I could find a "package deal" on these speakers and just use the sub in the game room.

Living Room

Game Room
post #924 of 3345 Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I found the problem with the calibration and it was a strange one. I just grabbed the firs calibration mic that I found, not noticing that It was a Sony. The receiver is a Yamaha. I found the Yamaha mic and it detected 2 speakers miswired. One was miswired, I corrected that and the other was fine on the next calibration. Now to do some testing with the sub!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
post #925 of 3345 Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Well, I found the problem with the calibration and it was a strange one. I just grabbed the firs calibration mic that I found, not noticing that It was a Sony. The receiver is a Yamaha. I found the Yamaha mic and it detected 2 speakers miswired. One was miswired, I corrected that and the other was fine on the next calibration. Now to do some testing with the sub!
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Good news!

So has anyone that ordered over BF received anything yet?? I was hoping to get an e-mail today, but haven't got one yet. Haven't had speakers for a few weeks now and watching tv/shows from the tv speakers....just isn't the same lol. Getting antsy!! biggrin.gif

post #926 of 3345 Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Good news!
So has anyone that ordered over BF received anything yet?? I was hoping to get an e-mail today, but haven't got one yet. Haven't had speakers for a few weeks now and watching tv/shows from the tv speakers....just isn't the same lol. Getting antsy!! biggrin.gif

I called & spoke with Brian. He stated that they shipped a 1/3 of the BF stuff already & are processing another batch to ship. Didn't inquire about my personal shipment, just wanted to make sure they were still on schedule.
post #927 of 3345 Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah he told me early last week or even before that that they shipped 1/3 the orders. I really hope they'd be able to get them out after 2 weeks. I'm ready to play already lol

post #928 of 3345 Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Liked: 12
Glad I've bought two sets of e55ti's, two sets of E56Ci's and a pair of E5Bi bookshelf. I'm no audiophile, I bought them just for looks. Nice to know these are high end speakers.
post #929 of 3345 Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Which color did you guys get?

Living Room

Game Room
post #930 of 3345 Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Black here

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page