12Likes

post #1081 of 3345 Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

What did you use to mount them? Did you remove one of the tweeters? I think it was on Audioholics that I read that some prefer them that way.

I just used the dry wall mounts and screws it came with and they seem to be sturdy for now, (crossing fingers) As for the tweeters I should make them dipole, I'm just not 100% sure on how to do that, lol a bit scared I'll mess some thing up but I should try to find a way to do it! I've read in a system bigger then a 5.1 they really help defuse the sound and make it that much better to listen to. anyone try this yet?

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3345 Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

How much power are they getting right now?
The more I look at these, the more I'm leaning towards black.

Yeah the black looks great. Our wood in the house is a "spanish oak" (dark walnut if you will..) so Red Burl....big NO NO.

Being powered by the Yamaha 663 right now and most know the 663 is a pretty powerful amp from a few years back. I'd like to get into a Denon for sub EQ when the time comes to pick up a sub. I saw a 1712 refurb come up at A4L and it was gone within a few minutes! Dangit!! mad.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #1083 of 3345 Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
So far pretty happy. The sub is best in a corner. Still listening and moving things around to get the sound just right.. I have a Onkyo txsr605, Audessy for some reason likes to calibrate the towers as full band. I set them to 50hz and it sounds decent. I'm gonna try and set them to 80hz and see what happens.. The towers are amazing.. Watched the first 10 minutes of The Dark Knight and I was hearing things I never heard before with my old setup which was mix match of different speakers.
post #1084 of 3345 Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Is setting the sub crossover to 60hz too low for the e5tis? Currently have it set to 80...
The e5tis are capable of playing below 60hz, but I have a pair of weak subs.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #1085 of 3345 Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Is setting the sub crossover to 60hz too low for the e5tis? Currently have it set to 80...
The e5tis are capable of playing below 60hz, but I have a pair of weak subs.

I'd probably set it higher if you can. What subs do you have that can carry past 80hz? Looking at the FR graphs for the e5ti, looks like it begins to roll off well before 60hz (not taking room gain into account..but still)

post #1086 of 3345 Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have the Martin Logan 10 inch (dynamo or something) and a 8 inch sub that came with the SLS Q line gold system. Not a lot of real tight thump, so my next upgrade will be a good 12 inch sub. So you think crossing over at 80 would be good? when Audioholic reviewed the E5tis, the review said there was good, usable freq down to 50 hz (-3 db) and even some down to 45...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #1087 of 3345 Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
They also recommended running the 55's in full range, which I disagree with. It all depends on the setup.
post #1088 of 3345 Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM

If any one is interested there is a pair of EMP Tek E55Ti Gloss Black Ash Towers on ebay for 450.00 dollars.

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #1089 of 3345 Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwaste View Post

If any one is interested there is a pair of EMP Tek E55Ti Gloss Black Ash Towers on ebay for 450.00 dollars.
PM sent.

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
post #1090 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

PM sent.

just a quick FYI, not selling my speakers I love them! but I check the internet to find out if anyone is selling them and its hard to find anyone selling them so I find that a good sign! smile.gif

post #1091 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think that's a good thing too. Sure EMP isn't as large and well-known as your KEF, Klipsch, Polk, etc...but I find that can also reduce overhead (increasing quality/cost ratio) and reduce confusion over what models are good, what their specs were, etc. When people hear EMP they'll know the e55ti's as a very accurate speaker, beautiful looking and represented by RBH who can hang with or better most of those companies.

I still find it incredible how many people as for help on here with budgets ranging for $500-$1,500 and there's never any mention of EMP. It's incredible how many people recommend what they have OR EVEN WORSE what they've never heard. The ultimate goal for most is to reproduce the music accurately...I'd say +/- 2db with good off-axis performance at under $1,000 to be a helluva deal (and that's with the entire 5.0 sometimes!! eek.gif). I've had some time to watch a movie (dark knight rises) and a few shows (starting The Walking Dead) on them and listening to some music lately and they're still surprising me. They have plenty of top end detail for me..for those people that might be worried. Their midrange really is incredible. Voices are neither chesty or "honky" due to overemphasis on various freq. I can't wait to pair them with a sub and get the overall effect. I've got them x'd at 60hz right now and they seem to handle it just fine. Driver excursion is kept extremely low thanks to multiple drivers covering their bands. Especially important when you have a large and/or open concept-type space like I do.

Still loving them cool.gif

post #1092 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Yeah I think that's a good thing too. Sure EMP isn't as large and well-known as your KEF, Klipsch, Polk, etc...but I find that can also reduce overhead (increasing quality/cost ratio) and reduce confusion over what models are good, what their specs were, etc. When people hear EMP they'll know the e55ti's as a very accurate speaker, beautiful looking and represented by RBH who can hang with or better most of those companies.
I still find it incredible how many people as for help on here with budgets ranging for $500-$1,500 and there's never any mention of EMP. It's incredible how many people recommend what they have OR EVEN WORSE what they've never heard. The ultimate goal for most is to reproduce the music accurately...I'd say +/- 2db with good off-axis performance at under $1,000 to be a helluva deal (and that's with the entire 5.0 sometimes!! eek.gif). I've had some time to watch a movie (dark knight rises) and a few shows (starting The Walking Dead) on them and listening to some music lately and they're still surprising me. They have plenty of top end detail for me..for those people that might be worried. Their midrange really is incredible. Voices are neither chesty or "honky" due to overemphasis on various freq. I can't wait to pair them with a sub and get the overall effect. I've got them x'd at 60hz right now and they seem to handle it just fine. Driver excursion is kept extremely low thanks to multiple drivers covering their bands. Especially important when you have a large and/or open concept-type space like I do.
Still loving them cool.gif

No regrets then? Are the highs detailed and clear? Since I'll be coming from a horn tweeter I want to make sure I'll still hear the highs.

*Posting my speakers online for sale.

Living Room

Game Room
post #1093 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Umm not sure what happened ^^^^ sorry for the double/triple post. Tried deleting but it won't let me.

Living Room

Game Room
post #1094 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

I came from Polks that lacked in clean detailed tweeters, but I have Infinity's in my Tundra that are pretty detailed & I find the EMP's slightly superior to the Infinity's. I'm running these speakers off an Onkyo with Audyssey x32 that does a good job of settling frequencies down & the best way I can describe the sound that is produced is, sweet & balanced. Afterall they are silk domes, there supposed to sound this way wink.gif
post #1095 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No regrets then? Are the highs detailed and clear? Since I'll be coming from a horn tweeter I want to make sure I'll still hear the highs.
*Posting my speakers online for sale.

I've heard my fair share of horn loaded speakers and don't care for single one. The highs are perfectly fine and balanced in the Impression series. Detail can also be added to sound, not just taken away by a speaker that rolls off in the midrange (aka...2" fullrange or crappy 3-4" fullrange). The bulk of your attack and presence is in the midrange/lower treble. I'd MUCH rather have a spot on midrange/lower treble and a speaker that rolls off slightly than a mediocre midrange and a speaker that plays 8kHz+ flat (or even slightly + for those crazy people). You might associate most speakers not have enough "detail" for you until your ears adjust and you realize what you might be hearing is something that either wasn't right or wasn't intended.

EMP offers a great thing in the 30-day money back deal. Quite confident and they have no reason not to be if you ask me. I have very sensitive ears and I've been listening to audio (bad and good) for YEARS now, along with gathering information and listening notes on various forums. These speakers will make you want to sit down and listen for hours, then pop in a movie and be wowed by the detail and ease they have.....but not once will they give you that shrill moment that makes you turn it down when you know it's coming. Buy them! You'll be happy. If ya dont after 25-30 days...send 'em back biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I came from Polks that lacked in clean detailed tweeters, but I have Infinity's in my Tundra that are pretty detailed & I find the EMP's slightly superior to the Infinity's. I'm running these speakers off an Onkyo with Audyssey x32 that does a good job of settling frequencies down & the best way I can describe the sound that is produced is, sweet & balanced. Afterall they are silk domes, there supposed to sound this way wink.gif

Oh man....EVERY single Infinity I've heard has been horribly overbearing in the treble. You're likely running into a lot of reflections too, which is just making it worse. If you ever want to upgrade your car audio...let me know and I can help ya there! wink.gif

Btw...I think the tweeter is a fabric dome in the Impression Series. No?

post #1096 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I'm thinking about buying the ones off Ebay. So there is no 30 day return policy. From what all of you guys have said, these sound like a fantastic speaker. I'm really kicking myself over not jumping on the Black Friday sale. I don't think I can wait another 11 months to get them either.

@ousooner2, how far away are you sitting from them? I've talked with the lady and we are going to redo the living room after Christmas. With my current speakers I'm about 15' away. I'm wanting to move the couch closer, probably in the 10-12' range.

I'm running a Onkyo reciever also, so I'll be using Audyssey also.

Living Room

Game Room
post #1097 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm thinking about buying the ones off Ebay. So there is no 30 day return policy. From what all of you guys have said, these sound like a fantastic speaker. I'm really kicking myself over not jumping on the Black Friday sale. I don't think I can wait another 11 months to get them either.
@ousooner2, how far away are you sitting from them? I've talked with the lady and we are going to redo the living room after Christmas. With my current speakers I'm about 15' away. I'm wanting to move the couch closer, probably in the 10-12' range.
I'm running a Onkyo reciever also, so I'll be using Audyssey also.

Have you contacted EMP to ask when they're next sale might be on the E55ti's? Might be worth calling to see if they're going to have a "New Years Sale" or something.

I'm currently sitting about 12-13' away

post #1098 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

I thought they didn't give heads up like that? I guess it's worth a shot.

Living Room

Game Room
post #1099 of 3345 Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've heard my fair share of horn loaded speakers and don't care for single one. The highs are perfectly fine and balanced in the Impression series. Detail can also be added to sound, not just taken away by a speaker that rolls off in the midrange (aka...2" fullrange or crappy 3-4" fullrange). The bulk of your attack and presence is in the midrange/lower treble. I'd MUCH rather have a spot on midrange/lower treble and a speaker that rolls off slightly than a mediocre midrange and a speaker that plays 8kHz+ flat (or even slightly + for those crazy people). You might associate most speakers not have enough "detail" for you until your ears adjust and you realize what you might be hearing is something that either wasn't right or wasn't intended.
EMP offers a great thing in the 30-day money back deal. Quite confident and they have no reason not to be if you ask me. I have very sensitive ears and I've been listening to audio (bad and good) for YEARS now, along with gathering information and listening notes on various forums. These speakers will make you want to sit down and listen for hours, then pop in a movie and be wowed by the detail and ease they have.....but not once will they give you that shrill moment that makes you turn it down when you know it's coming. Buy them! You'll be happy. If ya dont after 25-30 days...send 'em back biggrin.gif
Oh man....EVERY single Infinity I've heard has been horribly overbearing in the treble. You're likely running into a lot of reflections too, which is just making it worse. If you ever want to upgrade your car audio...let me know and I can help ya there! wink.gif
Quote:

The Infinty's are hot in the higher frequencies, but I roll them off, so they aren't bad at all. I've seen them called fabric & silk actually. Silk is a fabric, so either way it's a wash.
post #1100 of 3345 Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 AM

Hi, how high should the Hz be when classified as "lower treble"?
post #1101 of 3345 Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholis View Post

This is just the reply I was looking for. No regrets on my WF-35s yet, but congrats to all the 55 owners. It was a very close second for me.

Here's to ease your worry. I realized he compared E55ti grill off with wf-35 grill on. Not a fair fight. Unfortunately he's currently on vacation. Got to wait till he comes back to do some final testing. Oh btw I'm a WF-35 owner too.
post #1102 of 3345 Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM

So question for the full EMP tek setup that one of you might know of or have tried, I will be getting 2 book shelf speakers and another sub in January to finish my setup at 7.2 running with a Marantz SR6006, Should I buy an amp to help out to the front 3 speakers to give them full power like an Emotiva XPA-3 or would that be total over kill? I would have a total of 4 speakers running on the Marantz if I went this way and a amp helping with the other 3 so there is no lack of power at any time but this could just be a dumb idea, either way thoughts would help.

post #1103 of 3345 Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koresuki View Post

Hi, how high should the Hz be when classified as "lower treble"?

There isn't really "set" numbers for where midbass, midrange, lower treble, etc etc begins and ends. Most are close enough though that you'll understand what rough range it encompasses when someone says something like lower treble. Here's a good chart to look at for starters. The interactive chart on the right can be very helpful if you think something sounds off on a particular instrument.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Quote:

So question for the full EMP tek setup that one of you might know of or have tried, I will be getting 2 book shelf speakers and another sub in January to finish my setup at 7.2 running with a Marantz SR6006, Should I buy an amp to help out to the front 3 speakers to give them full power like an Emotiva XPA-3 or would that be total over kill? I would have a total of 4 speakers running on the Marantz if I went this way and a amp helping with the other 3 so there is no lack of power at any time but this could just be a dumb idea, either way thoughts would help.

I'll be one that will say you can never have too much power....to an extent though. No need for extreme overkill, but headroom is always a plus for dynamic peaks. I would LOVE to get an xpa-3 on my front 3, but certain things need to be paid off first (damn you student loans and house appliances). With the amount of drivers these towers have, I'm sure the difference will be easily audible

Go for it!

post #1104 of 3345 Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There isn't really "set" numbers for where midbass, midrange, lower treble, etc etc begins and ends. Most are close enough though that you'll understand what rough range it encompasses when someone says something like lower treble. Here's a good chart to look at for starters. The interactive chart on the right can be very helpful if you think something sounds off on a particular instrument.
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
I'll be one that will say you can never have too much power....to an extent though. No need for extreme overkill, but headroom is always a plus for dynamic peaks. I would LOVE to get an xpa-3 on my front 3, but certain things need to be paid off first (damn you student loans and house appliances). With the amount of drivers these towers have, I'm sure the difference will be easily audible
Go for it!

I agree, I'm running a 7.1 setup off of an Onkyo 3009, while it's certainly enough power to push them, I do wonder what effect an xpa-3 would have on them, but then again the highest I typically run them is -10db below reference, so in theory, I still have headroom for dynamics. So I enjoy what I have & save my cash. biggrin.gif
post #1105 of 3345 Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Alright good to know, I just wasn't sure if it would be to much power, but I really won't know until all this gets into a proper theater room in the next 4 months. if I'm still under reference then I will leave it alone but wanted to know in-case I wanted more power and to have a chance to play with an XPA-3 which just sounds fun to have another amp around. again this is a horrible hobby for my wallet but its to damn fun.

post #1106 of 3345 Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 AM

Most receivers are 2 channels driven, simultaneously. Denon 3313 spec it's receiver at 125w + 125w. What if you have 5 speakers to drive at the same time? Will it be 250w/5 = 50w then for each speaker?
post #1107 of 3345 Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Most receivers are 2 channels driven, simultaneously. Denon 3313 spec it's receiver at 125w + 125w. What if you have 5 speakers to drive at the same time? Will it be 250w/5 = 50w then for each speaker?

Just found out myself, the answer is no. According to HT Labs measurement for 5 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, wattage dips somewhat down into: 0.1% distortion at 82.9 watts 1% distortion at 103.0 watts
http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-3312ci-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
I suppose 3313 is the same as 3312. Darn good receiver. You'll need no external power amp. smile.gif
post #1108 of 3345 Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:

Alright good to know, I just wasn't sure if it would be to much power, but I really won't know until all this gets into a proper theater room in the next 4 months. if I'm still under reference then I will leave it alone but wanted to know in-case I wanted more power and to have a chance to play with an XPA-3 which just sounds fun to have another amp around. again this is a horrible hobby for my wallet but its to damn fun.
HT Labs measurement for Marantz SR6006

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 127.9 watts
1% distortion at 153.2 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 75.9 watts
1% distortion at 92.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 71.3 watts
1% distortion at 83.4 watts

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
bitterwaste likes this.
post #1109 of 3345 Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yamaha rx-v663....I knew this AVR was powerful! Never knew it had this much umph though biggrin.gif

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion -- 167 @ 8 ohms cool.gif
1% distortion -- 191 @ 8ohms

0.1% distortion -- 218 @ 4ohms
1% distortion -- 246 @ 4ohms

Seems the numbers aren't too good with 5 or 7 channels driven though. HT Labs said it seemed to run out of steam at higher volumes

post #1110 of 3345 Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

No, depending on the receiver, there are 2, 5, 7, 9, ... amps. One for each channel.

My Yamaha 867 has 7 and depending on the configuration, you can reuse 6&7 for a second zone too.

Better manufacturers tend to under rate their amplifiers.

Maybe the difference in multi-channel performance is due to the power supply.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emp , Emp Tek , Emp Tek E10s Subwoofer , Emp Tek Ef30c Center Speaker , Emp Tek Ef30t Tower Speakers , Emp Tek E55tir Tower Speakers , Emp Tek Ef30 Bookshelf Speakers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page